Need advice on highly directional, short to medium range TV antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I'm new here and new to OTA thanks to getting fed up with ComCast. 

I think I need to find a highly directional, short to medium range TV antenna. Narrowing down the vertical is more important as planes fly between me and the towers about 25-30 degrees above the horizon.

I live in South Minneapolis, dead center between the 2 flight paths at MSP airport. I'm 12.3 miles from the Shorview antenna farm and the azimuth to there is almost exactly at 90 degrees from the flight paths. So I have planes crossing both in front of and behind me when facing the towers.

Signal strength is not an issue (unless it's too strong) but I'm worried about airplane interference.

I'm looking at the RCA ANT751, Channel Master CM2016 and Antennas Direct 42XG.  Any comments regarding these, or any other I should consider? 

I'll be running 5 or 6 HDTVs and a ChannelMaster DVR+ off of it using amplified splitters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I doubt that you will have any problems with airplane reflections. With digital ATSC broadcasting, multi-path issues are not likely to occur.

It is interesting that you mention airplane broadcast reflections. There was a system developed that utilizes broadcast FM (TV) signals to passively track air traffic.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lockheed-martin-announces-silent-sentrytm-surveillance-system-passive-system-uses-tv-radio-signals-to-detect-track-airborne-objects-76961477.html:D
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I doubt that you will have any problems with airplane reflections. With digital ATSC broadcasting, multi-path issues are not likely to occur.

Practical experience has shown that your optimism is misplaced. Aircraft-induced dynamic multipath reception issues are very common when located near airports.

Quote:
Narrowing down the vertical is more important as planes fly between me and the towers about 25-30 degrees above the horizon.

Start with a 4-bay antenna for UHF. You might find that you have to stack two of them vertically to improve the rejection of signals above certain elevations. In the event that the UHF antennas don't handle the high-VHF adequately (quite possible), you'll have to handle 9 & 11 separately.

If you're so inclined, I'd build a vertical 8-bay using the Mcclap (sp?) M4 as a basis. If you want to use an out of the box antenna, I'd probably try the DB4 or DB4e as vertical pattern data is available for them in the tech data sheets.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page