OTA attic antenna for Philly suburb area - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to find a suitable antenna to put in my attic for OTA. I live just north outside of Philadelphia PA. here's a link to a TV Fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b944497c4382a

I'm only interested in the main UHF/VHF stations that the reports lists all at 241 degrees (true north) and ~18 miles away This is just ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS for VHF and UHF channels 17/29/57

Rooftop antenna is not an option. I was planning on putting an antenna in the attic facing the southwest wall . The only obstructions would be the outer wall & vinyl siding. Outside of that is an unobstructed view, though my neighborhood is in a bit of a valley compared to the surrounding area

I originally bought an amplified Mohu Leaf and placed it next to the TV on a window that face north. On the 1st try it got all the above stations I mention expect for ABC. I then moved it to a window on the west wall (figuring it was closer to 241 deg) and it picked up some of the obscure stations (but no ABC). The picture was good enough to watch with a few episodes of pixelations/dropouts but not too annoying.

But after the 1st day, reception quality & # stations dropped pretty quickly. None of the stations would hold a picture. Eventually I tried it in the attic right against the southwest wall (a 50 foot run of RG6 quad cable) but got no better results. I was hoping with the extra height up there & no exterior obstructions it would pick up what I listed above. My roof is just asphalt shingles; I do have my central air unit in the center of the attic. I tried the Mohu w & w/o an old Electroline 4 way splitter/amplifier I still had. I only plan on connecting 1 TV to this if I can find an antenna that would work for me.

thanks for any advice/suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
All of the stations you mentioned wanting to receive are on UHF except for WHYY (PBS) on upper VHF and WPVI (ABC) on lower VHF. The Mohu is not designed for low-VHF channels like WPVI (or KJWP or WACP, for that matter). If you want to start small, try the Terk HDTVi (NOT the Terk HDTVa) with the rabbit ears fully extended.

Otherwise, anything that is optimized for low-VHF, high-VHF, and UHF should do the trick. The signals are strong enough.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks

what makes 3.1 or 10.1 UHF rather than VHF? I've had several clear low wind days and the Leaf would hardly pickup anything after the initial attempt which makes me wonder if something else is causing problems.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The "Real" column shows the channel the station transmits on. It scans into your TV with the channel number shown in the "(Virt)" column.

It's possible there's something else, but that antenna simply will struggle to get you WPVI no matter what you do with it. If you want ABC, you don't want that antenna, I don't think.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

last night I stopped at Home Depot and picked up a Wineguard freeVision. I hung it such that it was even with the roof gable vent and pointed it around 241 degrees (via best guess) I re scanned & it picked up ~45 channels - everything I listed in OP plus a few more. I watched ABC w/o a single blip, though some of the other stations had periods where it would drop in & out for 10-15 seconds before settling in. I 'm leaning towards finding an antenna with better gain (the Wineguard has none) to hopefully eliminate any pixelations/drops on other channels. Returning to HD makes it simple - I'll have to put the leaf up on Ebay,. If anyone has recs for small/med size antenna that would be better than the Free Vision are welcome. thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try the RCA ANT751. It's not for lo VHF but it works for me at 15 miles southeast of the Philly antennas.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks - I don't think the FreeVision is either, but I got a great picture on 6.1, so I imagine that would too.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page