Good morning everyone. I would like to apologize in advance for being overly ill informed. But I am needing some expert advice from people who have blazed my trail for me.
I currently am renting a home in the St Louis market, while our new home is getting ready to be built. Currently, we enjoy fairly good U-Verse service as a means for getting TV and internet access, and we are generally pleased with it. Sure, I would like to see less compression and more bandwidth, but the wife and daughter really like the whole home DVR. I have also built a XBMC (nuc) unit for playing movies from our file server. The Xbox 360 serves as a medial player for Amazon and NetFlix, and WDTV units fill in the latter two roles at the bedrooms. All in all, it is a fair working system.
However, the new location will apparently be a bit of a challenge. We will be a bit further out, just beyond the suburban frontier. And as such U-Verse is not yet available. So we have to reexamine our options.
- The house will be wired for Cat 5e, all homerun back to a central point in the basement. To be clear, we are not running coax, except maybe a single line into the basement to bring service into the building.
- Charter is available in the area, but as near as I can tell, they do NOT offer whole home DVR service. Am I missing any information here?
- I suppose one option would be a DVR at the family room only. But that seems like a major step back.
- Dish and DirecTv might be options, however...
- I am not sure which of these, if any, would use Cat5 as a cabling option
- I would really prefer to avoid a long term contract
- I would really prefer to avoid mounting a dish to the building when it is likely to be temporary at best.
- People talk all the time about cutting the cable cord altogether, and I like the concept, but do not completely understand it.
- I still would want to maintain some sort of access to the major networks, live sports events and HBO.
- DVR access to those shows would be nice
Hopefully, you get the idea. If and when AT&T pulls U-Verse down the street, I would probably sign back up for it, unless I have built or found something better in the meantime.
Given all of this, have you any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.
I would still run coax cable in case you would ever have to use Charter cable service or Dish or DirecTV. And you would have the option of an OTA antenna. As well as FM radio antenna. Better to be prepared for all options, or you may regret it later.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.