Good morning everyone. I would like to apologize in advance for being overly ill informed. But I am needing some expert advice from people who have blazed my trail for me.
I currently am renting a home in the St Louis market, while our new home is getting ready to be built. Currently, we enjoy fairly good U-Verse service as a means for getting TV and internet access, and we are generally pleased with it. Sure, I would like to see less compression and more bandwidth, but the wife and daughter really like the whole home DVR. I have also built a XBMC (nuc) unit for playing movies from our file server. The Xbox 360 serves as a medial player for Amazon and NetFlix, and WDTV units fill in the latter two roles at the bedrooms. All in all, it is a fair working system.
However, the new location will apparently be a bit of a challenge. We will be a bit further out, just beyond the suburban frontier. And as such U-Verse is not yet available. So we have to reexamine our options.
- The house will be wired for Cat 5e, all homerun back to a central point in the basement. To be clear, we are not running coax, except maybe a single line into the basement to bring service into the building.
- Charter is available in the area, but as near as I can tell, they do NOT offer whole home DVR service. Am I missing any information here?
- I suppose one option would be a DVR at the family room only. But that seems like a major step back.
- Dish and DirecTv might be options, however...
- I am not sure which of these, if any, would use Cat5 as a cabling option
- I would really prefer to avoid a long term contract
- I would really prefer to avoid mounting a dish to the building when it is likely to be temporary at best.
- People talk all the time about cutting the cable cord altogether, and I like the concept, but do not completely understand it.
- I still would want to maintain some sort of access to the major networks, live sports events and HBO.
- DVR access to those shows would be nice
Hopefully, you get the idea. If and when AT&T pulls U-Verse down the street, I would probably sign back up for it, unless I have built or found something better in the meantime.
Given all of this, have you any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.