91XG closer than 50 miles - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In one review of the Antennas Direct 91XG I noted the following statement "We found that when this antenna is within about 50 miles of broadcast stations, it does not pick up as many channels or provide high-quality HDTV as it would if it were farther away."

Does anyone have any more information on this because I am about 40 miles from Boston and was thinking about a 91XG. If this is true my next choice is the Winegard HD-9032. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The 91XG is very directional, and it is best designed for fringe reception. For 40 miles, the smaller version 43XG should be a good choice.
djhxxx likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 12
Since I live almost half way between two areas, I found that Winegard HD-9032 is great for 60+ miles stations to my south, but the closer channels which is about 40 miles to my north, it is just too much. So I have a two bay bowtie for those channels that is about 40 miles away. I don't know how hilly your area is, but you might need to look tvfool.com for a better idea.
djhxxx likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The review you quoted lacks necessary context about where the person and their surrounding stations are located. The most logical assumption is that the reviewer was in an area where the stations are dispersed which would tend to make the 91XG a poor choice in the first place. Of course, reviewers never admit they dont know what they were doing, they just blame the product.

Since the Boston stations are all co-located in Roxborough and all are UHF, using a very directional antenna antenna like the 91XG is actually a good choice as it will tend to avoid issues with multipath.

I'm a mere 19-26 miles from my locals and I use a 91XG.
djhxxx likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I thought it was possibly beam width or overload but I have a rotor and can adjust.
I am centrally located near Boston, Providence RI, Springfield MA, and Hartford CT with very few hills in the paths so with the 91XG
I should get all of them without problem. In the old days I could even get New York on a good night so I am about to dump cable and go with OTA and internet.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page