WMHT Albany - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a large UHF antenna in my attic and I receive very good reception on my Samsung DLP HDTV.  The only issue with reception I ever have is that PDS (17-1) often freezes immediately after tuning in.  The picture appears for a split second and stops without audio.  The only way to recover is by unplugging the antenna and changing the station prior to plugging the antenna back in.  There is programming that I would like to watch and about 1/2 the time I am able to watch without incident. I have no clue why this is happening.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's very odd. First of all, how far are you from ch.17? I'm assuming WMHT is the only channel this happens to? Then after it freezes, changing channels doesn't bring it back? Obvious question... your antenna is pointed in the right direction I assume? Is there any reason why the antenna can't be on the roof? It's highly possible that the attic could be lousing up the signal.

Once you've addressed the most obvious causes without a solution, then it's time to take it to a more technical level.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDW View Post

I have a large UHF antenna in my attic and I receive very good reception on my Samsung DLP HDTV.  The only issue with reception I ever have is that PDS (17-1) often freezes immediately after tuning in.  The picture appears for a split second and stops without audio.  The only way to recover is by unplugging the antenna and changing the station prior to plugging the antenna back in.  There is programming that I would like to watch and about 1/2 the time I am able to watch without incident. I have no clue why this is happening.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

This sounds like the station's PSIP has or had some kind of poison pill in the code. Have you tried a rescan? You might have to cleanse your set's PSIP memories by first running a scan with your antenna disconnected, then a second rescan with antenna reconnected. Has there been any chatter from other 17-1 viewers about what you are experiencing?
post #4 of 13 Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

Has there been any chatter from other 17-1 viewers about what you are experiencing?

I've seen no chatter, and have had no issues with it.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 That's very odd. First of all, how far are you from ch.17? I'm assuming WMHT is the only channel this happens to? Then after it freezes, changing channels doesn't bring it back? Obvious question... your antenna is pointed in the right direction I assume? Is there any reason why the antenna can't be on the roof? It's highly possible that the attic could be lousing up the signal.

Once you've addressed the most obvious causes without a solution, then it's time to take it to a more technical level.

I don't think it is a reception issue as when it does come in it is perfect.  The issue does not coincide with poor weather either.  This is only an issue with WMHT.  When it freezes I cannot change channels even after powering down.  Only after unplugging the antenna, powering down, restarting, changing channel, and plugging the antenna back in.  All other channels have beautiful reception as I’m not in a remote location - City of Troy.

Quote:
 This sounds like the station's PSIP has or had some kind of poison pill in the code. Have you tried a rescan? You might have to cleanse your set's PSIP memories by first running a scan with your antenna disconnected, then a second rescan with antenna reconnected. Has there been any chatter from other 17-1 viewers about what you are experiencing?

I don't have WMHT on my scan as I don't want to inadvertently tune in as it is difficult to recover - see above.  Could this be an issue?  I tune in by entering the channel.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM

I don't have WMHT on my scan as I don't want to inadvertently tune in as it is difficult to recover - see above. Could this be an issue? I tune in by entering the channel.

I'm beginning to think that IS the issue! The channel hasn't been "memorized" into the TV. I didn't even know that was possible! Anytime I've ever tried to go to an un-memorized channel by just entering it...it hasn't worked.

Just do a normal scan!!! WMHT should be 'seen' by the antenna just as all the others are. THEN if there's still a problem, you've got a legitimate reason to wonder.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Last night I rescanned and the TV recognized WMHT and the channel came in clear.  I watched a program on another channel and returned to WMHT to find the channel freeze.  

post #8 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM

This is peculiar. Can you adjust the antenna direction?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I can certainly try, although I don't know why the TV would freeze due to a reception issue.  Thanks for the help, Ill try adjusting the antenna tomorrow. 

post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 PM

You're welcome. Which direction is it pointing? I'm suggesting this on the outside chance that your antenna is pointing somewhere other than ch. 17's direction. Might as well do all the troubleshooting you can.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't think it is a reception issue as when it does come in it is perfect.  The issue does not coincide with poor weather either.  This is only an issue with WMHT.  When it freezes I cannot change channels even after powering down.  Only after unplugging the antenna, powering down, restarting, changing channel, and plugging the antenna back in.  All other channels have beautiful reception as I’m not in a remote location - City of Troy.

I don't have WMHT on my scan as I don't want to inadvertently tune in as it is difficult to recover - see above.  Could this be an issue?  I tune in by entering the channel.
What channel number do you enter? What happens when you push 3, 4, enter?
post #12 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I may have misspoke, to navigate to WMHT I go through the channel manager.  Entering 17-1 does not take me to the channel, it goes unrecognized.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I may have misspoke, to navigate to WMHT I go through the channel manager.  Entering 17-1 does not take me to the channel, it goes unrecognized.

Ahhh okay. It's direct channel entry like that, that never worked for me either.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page