Light switch suddenly causes OTA HDTV to scramble! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the weirdest thing going on and I'm clueless. I have a ClearStream™ 2V UHF/VHF outdoor antenna connected to a Terk ELN amplifier from my old indoor antenna. For some reason when I turn on the lights in the kitchen now, it scrambles NBC. No other light switch affects it and no other channels are affected. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133

What changed? Did you add any lights, replace any lights?

If nothing has changed but the interference had just started recently, I would be looking for a ballast going out (try replacing the tubes first), or a CFB that may need replacing, or possibly even a LED bulb that lost a capacitor.

Try unscrewing a bulb at a time until the interference disappears.

If you have a dimmer switch that is normally kept turned on full, double-check that the dimmer switch is indeed set on full; the dimmer on my chandelier generates a lot of RF interference except when all the way on or is completely off.

Water in the wiring could also cause problems, so don't rule out the possibility that you might unscrew all the bulbs and still have interference.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't added any lights since it started happening and they are not on a dimmer switch. I have 6 recessed lighting LED kits in the kitchen but all are sealed and work fine. I can try to remove them one by one to see if thats the issues....
post #4 of 5 Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54

I've heard of compact fluorescent bulbs and LEDs producing RF interference, although they are supposed to be designed to minimize that.

This may just be a 1950's-era urban legend, but I ran across a web site that was talking about tungsten filament incandescent light bulbs causing RF interference with 1950's television reception. The story alleged that when the tungsten bulbs containing inert gas were initially commercially popularized and put into residential use in the 1930's, the filament was configured in a way that produced RF waves, but at frequencies that did not cause any interference with AM radio, so people did not notice any problem. Over the course of twenty or so years, a different filament configuration was introduced, so by the time TV got going in the late 40's and early 50's, most of the problematic bulbs were gone. But some of the unruly bulbs remained on the market and persisted (in porch lights and other fixtures) into the TV age and caused some problems with TV reception.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If you're in Medford, you may be receiving NBC on RF channel 5. Low-VHF is very susceptible to electrical noise, such as vacuum cleaners, blenders, and, yes, noisy light ballasts. That would certainly explain why NBC, but no other station, is impacted.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page