What kind of equipment do I need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

After replacing my old antenna and I am getting awesome pictures on my OTA antenna, I need a DVR or digital tuner of some kind to be able to record one show OTA while watching another OTA channel.

I can't seem to find anything that doesn't require membership in Direct TV or Dish or TIVO that will allow me to record the channels with extensions. Such as 4.1, 5.2, 5.3, 8.1, 8.2 etc. My current dvd recorder will not pick up the decimals after the channels. It only goes to channel 4, 5, 8 etc. 

So what can I do to be able to watch HD on my tv and record on another channel at the same time without having to pay cable fees?

I appreciate your help and support.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Look at the Channel Master DVR+. It should do what you are talking about.
George Molnar likes this.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the suggestion but Holy Cow! They are $399 to $2000. Too rich for my blood. 

I'm just a little ol 80 yr old lady on Soc. Sec. My daughter gave me a $100 gift card for mothers day and I was hoping that would take care of most of the cost of a dvr.

There is a unit listed on Amazon that might work but it doesn't say if it will accept the 4.1, 5.2 etc channels. According to the Q & A, it says it records only OTA no cable channels. But somebody answered my question about this and said that it would work. I didn't ask the question very well on Amazon, I also wanted to know if I could watch one show and record another channel at the same time. Not sure this unit will do it or not.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHHPPM0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=31OJ185309WVM&coliid=ISKDTHOVP0SLU

Do you think this would work for my application? 

Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
That Stellar Labs model can be found cheaper as the Iview 3500 or Homeworx brands. Usually around $39 - $49. Check Amazon or other vendors. But a better choice may be the Phillips 5710 DVR on sale at Nebraska Furniture Mart site for $99. But the best 2 choices would be TiVo or Channel Master DVR+. But they are beyond your stated price range. I would consider the Phillips. But read reviews in the HDTV Recorders sub thread here under HDTV category.