Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5254 Old 10-27-2003, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me or is MNF in SD? I plan my night around this game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5254 Old 10-28-2003, 06:10 AM

They had small scrolling text right before the game to say that it was not going to be broadcast in HDTV because they moved the game to AZ... bummer!!
post #273 of 5254 Old 10-28-2003, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Originally posted by chuckgr
They had small scrolling text right before the game to say that it was not going to be broadcast in HDTV because they moved the game to AZ... bummer!!

Yes, but ABC was supposed to have upconverted the signal at the network. WTVQ apparently opted to just take the analog feed and pipe it through their local converter. Which means: Blech! Colors all wrong and washed out. Be nice if they could finally get the NTSC->ATSC color mapping right.

HDC
post #274 of 5254 Old 11-08-2003, 08:11 AM

fellow lexingtonians,

I live in an apartment just off of Tates Creek just outside the Cirlce. I'm purchasing a new TV and was wondering if any of you live near me and could reccomend an OTA set top box and antenna. I was hoping an indoor antenna would work perfectly because I can pick up regular OTA feeds just fine with minimal snowing, but I figured hiDef feeds were different.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Optik
post #275 of 5254 Old 11-08-2003, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by optikill
I was hoping an indoor antenna would work perfectly because I can pick up regular OTA feeds just fine with minimal snowing, but I figured hiDef feeds were different.

Yeah you should be close enough to get ABC(WTVQ), CBS(WKYT) and probably KET with the indoor antenna. FOX (WDKY) is probably a lost cause from your location with any type of antenna - no big loss since it's only 480i. NBC(WLEX) is still missing-in-action. You might also want to consider going with Insight cable.

HDC
post #276 of 5254 Old 11-08-2003, 10:35 AM

I thought about insight, it's i'm just trying to keep my bills as low as possible. I figured that the quality of OTA HiDef is much better than cable or compressed sat. Do yout think I'll be alright with my intended route?

As long as I get CBS and ABC I'll be a happy camper. I must have CSI and Monday Night Football

I could get a "small" outside mount antenna and place it on my patio, but I live on the ground floor and could easily become susectable to mischeif, doubtful, but possible.

I'm buying my 34xbr910 monday. I was hoping to start viewing some hidef as soon as possible.

Thanks Guys!
post #277 of 5254 Old 11-08-2003, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by optikill
I thought about insight, it's i'm just trying to keep my bills as low as possible. I figured that the quality of OTA HiDef is much better than cable or compressed sat. Do yout think I'll be alright with my intended route?

Well ... you never know until you try. If you go the OTA only route, I'd start with something like the Sammy 151 or 351 STB. Get it somewhere that has a 'liberal' return policy (BB or CC) in case it doesn't work out. I think you'll be ok on signal strength, but multipath could be another story.

HDC
post #278 of 5254 Old 11-08-2003, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the help!
post #279 of 5254 Old 11-14-2003, 06:14 AM

Will Insight EVER have ABC-HD in their lineup?
post #280 of 5254 Old 11-15-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

WKYT asleep at the switch on 11/14 ... 3 hours of glorious upconverted primetime SD .... Must have had more important things like HS Football to worry about

That does it ... time to put up the 4228/7777 for Louisville.

HDC
post #281 of 5254 Old 11-15-2003, 08:12 PM

FWIW, I got this from Insight last week:
Quote:

The DVR digital box will be available in December 2003.
We are in negotiations with NBC, ABC, WB, and FOX. As the channels become available in HDTV we will provide them to you.

I guess we'll know as soon as they know (?).
post #282 of 5254 Old 11-17-2003, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I think I remember hearing December 8th for availability although my memory may be faulty. Here is a snippet of a reply I received from someone in their technical dept.

"Yes we will be using the [Motorola] DCT6208s. It will record all channels including HD. It has 2 fire wire ports as well as a DVI, RJ45 and 2 usbs all to be activated in the future. I do not know when that may be."
post #283 of 5254 Old 11-18-2003, 06:04 PM

Just got an email from Insight. The DCT 6208 will run 12.95 a month plus tax.

Kelly Johnson
Lexington, KY
post #284 of 5254 Old 11-18-2003, 08:00 PM

I can't seem to pick up WAVE. Anybody else having problems?
post #285 of 5254 Old 11-19-2003, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the19hole
I can't seem to pick up WAVE. Anybody else having problems?

Considering the weather is horrible, I'm not surprised.
post #286 of 5254 Old 12-07-2003, 07:59 PM

For the past couple of days my reception for ABC has been spotty where my percent is jumping wildly and even with good percent the signal still drops. I haven't touched my antenae, and the channel like this is unwatchable. Is it me or is ABC painting their tower again? Thanks for any input
post #287 of 5254 Old 12-08-2003, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_fox
For the past couple of days my reception for ABC has been spotty where my percent is jumping wildly and even with good percent the signal still drops. I haven't touched my antenae, and the channel like this is unwatchable. Is it me or is ABC painting their tower again? Thanks for any input

WTVQ has been relatively stable for me recently, although I've had similar symptoms in the past due to atmospheric conditions or vegetation. It's possible that you're getting some odd localized atmospheric bouncing.

HDC
post #288 of 5254 Old 12-16-2003, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rob_fox

I'm also seeing the same problem. I have a dish 6000 receiver with a 4228. I've changed the rotor with little help. Any thoughts?
post #289 of 5254 Old 12-19-2003, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just bumped into this thread and am trying to catch up. Can you tell me if WB 19 WBKI-DT is reachable from Lexington? I live really close to the Fayette Mall in a townhome and am just getting into the HDTV game (after owning an HD-ready set for ~2.5 years). I really hope I will be watching Smallville and Angel in HDTV in the near future.

My wife let me order a MyHD digital tuner card for our home theater pc. It's sitting in the box waiting for Christmas to be unleashed. We have an abandoned UHF antenna in the attic that I aquisitioned into use for analog channels for now. It looks like this, so I assume it is UHF:

I don't know if I am using this antenna correctly. I have twin lead coming from the antenna for 20 feet or so and then I took a broken one of these, ripped out the circuitry and wired it so the twin-lead goes to a regular female f-connector, so I could run regular coax to the TV downstairs:

Basically I just have pure UHF from this (I think). Will I be able to pick up channel 13 WKYT-D, ok?

I also have a signal amp at the end of the coax right before the signal goes into the TV and split to TiVo/VCR. It is a little better than this one (25dba VHF and 12dba UHF, or the other way around.. I forget and can't find the actual one I own on the website I bought it from). Anyway it looks like this, but has a switch for FM trap-in FM trap-out (whatever that does).

I wrote to WKYT and the operations manager told me to just give it all a shot. He said I may be ok with my current antenna on channel 13. My analog channel 27 comes in with some multipath. It's not terrible, but I look forward to a crystal clean if I can get the digital going.

I do get a fair signal for the WB station over analog. Just a bit snowy, so I am hoping the digital channel is reachable for me too. Are they live? How's the content?

Also in general, how is the Danville Fox station (channel 4, right?). Will that pose a problem for me with a UHF-only antenna?

I guess trial and error Christmas morning will give me the most feedback on what I can and cannot receive. Interestingly enough, the MyHD card has dual antenna inputs that both accept HD, so I surmise it would be possible to add a second antenna pointed specifically to WBKI. I'm trying to acquire the most channels for the least amount of money while I'm restricted to indoor antennas (apartment rules). It's nice a previous tenant left their antenna at least.

Any Lexington-specific and technical wiring suggestions is appreciated.
post #290 of 5254 Old 12-20-2003, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Ben,
Answers: (In no particular order)

Fox on channel 4 is probably a lost cause from your location. The antenna radiation pattern is pointed away from you. In any case, you will need a VHF antenna to even try. There is no FOX WS yet ... probably will skip it and go directly to 720p ... When?? Who knows, this is a Sinclair operation.

You can probably get KYT 13 on your current antenna.

Loose the twinlead and run coax all the way.

WBKI is up an running on an STA, which means they are very low powered, I've not been able to get more than a 'blip.' But then again I have severe multipath on the analog station. Again, don't expect HD any time soon, they are operating on a shoestring.

A rotor is a necessity at your location, especialy if you want to try for BKI, DKY and KET. WTVQ and WKYT are in the same general direction.

HDC
post #291 of 5254 Old 12-20-2003, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Ben,
Answers: (In no particular order)

Fox on channel 4 is probably a lost cause from your location. The antenna radiation pattern is pointed away from you. In any case, you will need a VHF antenna to even try. There is no FOX WS yet ... probably will skip it and go directly to 720p ... When?? Who knows, this is a Sinclair operation.

HDTVChallenged Thanks for the input! That stinks about FOX! Why the heck is the antenna pointed away from Lexington? Aren't they suppossed to be serving us here? It sounds like I have no chance of picking them up with that antenna in the attic. That's unfortunate. Though it is 480i (right?). I had hoped the bandwidth would be an improvement over my Fox channel on my dish (legacy waivered distant net for FOX5 in NYC - I'm from there so I enjoy seeing 'home'). FOX5 pixelates a bit and I had hoped local FOX56 over digital would surely provide higher bandwidth for less pixelation for my favorite recorded shows.

Quote:

You can probably get KYT 13 on your current antenna.

That's good news! I'll post how it goes.

Quote:

Loose the twinlead and run coax all the way.

The previous tenant was using twinlead. I have some RG-6 cable. Would that be my best bet? How would you recommend I hook coax into the antenna? I guess it doesn't matter which point the braided shield part goes to and which point the center connector part goes to?

Quote:

WBKI is up an running on an STA, which means they are very low powered, I've not been able to get more than a 'blip.' But then again I have severe multipath on the analog station. Again, don't expect HD any time soon, they are operating on a shoestring.

My reception of WBKI 34 varies. It was great a month ago when I checked it, but with this snow on the ground it was horrible when I just checked. WBKI may also be a lost cause for me with current equipment. I was considering dumping my superstations package on Dish (if I can forfeit Enterprise on UPN), but it doesn't look like it is going to happen now.

Quote:

A rotor is a necessity at your location, especialy if you want to try for BKI, DKY and KET. WTVQ and WKYT are in the same general direction.
HDC

A rotor isn't going to go over well with the wife. I don't know if we have room in the attic to rotate it too well either. I'll have to take a peek.
post #292 of 5254 Old 12-20-2003, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BenCJedi
[b]HDTVChallenged Thanks for the input! That stinks about FOX! Why the heck is the antenna pointed away from Lexington?

Because the community of licence is Danville not Lexington and they have to cover Danville at a minimum, which is all they are doing. This is Sinclair.

Quote:

The previous tenant was using twinlead. I have some RG-6 cable. Would that be my best bet?

Yes - you can get a Balun (300ohm to 75ohm transformer) from Ratshack that will hook to the antenna where the twilead is now.

Quote:

A rotor isn't going to go over well with the wife. I don't know if we have room in the attic to rotate it too well either. I'll have to take a peek.

You could always use more antennas with an A/B or A/B/C switch.

HDC
post #293 of 5254 Old 12-20-2003, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sinclar isn't going to do much until they get a new transmitter site up and running...

Stay Tuned...
post #294 of 5254 Old 12-20-2003, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by William Smith
Sinclar isn't going to do much until they get a new transmitter site up and running...

Stay Tuned...

Yeah ... I noticed that they've done another round of CP applications/modifications for WDKY. Sometimes I wonder if they're just trying to confuse the FCC ... or paralyze 'em with paperwork

HDC
post #295 of 5254 Old 12-22-2003, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I have never heard of this Sinclair entity. Is it possible for Lexington to get their own tower? I find it strange that the Fox56 studio is at the end of Euclid Ave in Lexington, yet they are serving Danville. I guess it is more convenient for their news/story people, but why was the tower originally erected in Danville and not Lexington?
post #296 of 5254 Old 12-22-2003, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Because of the original station allocation ( Its a lot easier to be the first station in an area than to try to add a new one to a city that already had 4 allocations ( 18,27,36,and 62). They did not want to build on 62 ( for the same reasons WTVQ moved off of 62 in the 70's) so they were the first station in Danville....

WDKY's original studios were in the old diner theater off Paris Pike at the Interstate.

Plus you can't build a tower in Fayette Co. anymore,,, which is why 104.5 /105.5 's tower is at Bluegrass Station, and 95.3,99.1, and 102.5 are on Brandon Rd. WLEX tried for years to get permission for a tall tower on Winchester Rd. with no luck. ( they finally gave up)

Sinclair is just the latest owner of WDKY....
post #297 of 5254 Old 12-23-2003, 10:02 AM

The device you took apart is needed to convert the antenna from 300 ohm for twin lead to 75 ohm for coax so you need one as it is needed for the coax. If you need the amp it should go near the antenna. You may not need the amp. I am in Hartland and use an indoor antenna with a distribution amp. I tried 3 different amps (and without an amp) And only one improved the picture so they all don't perform the same.
I am using a uhf antenna and CBS 13 (27-1) comes in great as does ABC 36-1.
post #298 of 5254 Old 12-23-2003, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by reesej
The device you took apart is needed to convert the antenna from 300 ohm for twin lead to 75 ohm for coax so you need one as it is needed for the coax. If you need the amp it should go near the antenna. You may not need the amp. I am in Hartland and use an indoor antenna with a distribution amp. I tried 3 different amps (and without an amp) And only one improved the picture so they all don't perform the same.
I am using a uhf antenna and CBS 13 (27-1) comes in great as does ABC 36-1.

Thanks reesej ! Well I ripped out the guts in that device (since it was busted internally - stepped on) and merely used it so the physical twin-lead wires were converted to a female f-connector, so I could hook in a regular coax cable to the TiVo/TV/VCR downstairs, so there's no resistance change or anything as far as I know. Do I need to buy a new one of those devices with the guts intact? I don't know how picky HDTV tuners are with the incoming signal, so maybe it won't care how I have it setup now.

That amp does make a big difference for me now for analog stations. Without it I get much snow, but with it the snow is mostly gone on most channels leaving me some multipath on a few. What I always found strange is that the TiVo has superior analog tuning abilities than the VCR or the TV itself. The signal looks much worse through those, but the TiVo cleans it up somehow.

On the topic of towers... Why is it such an eyesore or something for more TV towers, but cell towers pop up all over the place and I don't see any troubles errecting those? I guess the length of the tower is a big factor.

Well.. counting down for Christmas, so I can finally use my MyHD card and see what this HDTV stuff is all about.
post #299 of 5254 Old 12-27-2003, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been struggling with the MyHD card and getting it to run flawlessly, particularly during playback. I don't think my PC is under-powered (1.1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird, MSI mobo (VIA chip),640MB PC100 ram, Radeon 64DDR, Philips Acoustic Edge audio card). Just having some minor stuttering on stuff recorded from WKYT and massive stuttering for WTVQ. Is the 1080i versus 720p my problem? I have the latest MyHD drivers and Radeon cat 3.8 drivers. I have tried several combos of software/drivers and have the best combo with that right now.

For some reason anything recorded on WKYT is fine, but stuff from the WTVQ jitters/audio breaks up. LiveTV watching is about perfect pn either station. I only have a 36%-50% signal for WTVQ, so maybe that is why the recordings are so terrible for it. WKYT is around 100% single and glitches only a little on playback (audio dropouts). I had to remove my signal amp from the antenna. I can't pick up ANY digital stations with it hooked in. Anyone know why? Can you recommend a signal amp that is fine with digital stations? I stopped in ratshack and noticed a 26db amp for $45. That seems pricey and I don't know if that will help me obtain better playback for WTVQ as well as give me a hand pulling in another station in the future (with bigger antenna of course). My favorite place to shop is out of a place in Ohio called MCM Electronics. I'll see if they have a better amp I can try.

Also why is there no program info for titantv.com on the MyHD guide for WKYT? WTVQ's guide is fine. Is there some trick I need to do cause TitanTV's website has the program info for WKYT, but my MyHD software does not.

Thanks for your continued help. Hope everyone had a merry Christmas.
post #300 of 5254 Old 12-27-2003, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BenCJedi
I've been struggling with the MyHD card and getting it to run flawlessly, particularly during playback. I don't think my PC is under-powered (1.1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird, MSI mobo (VIA chip),640MB PC100 ram, Radeon 64DDR, Philips Acoustic Edge audio card).

I don't have a MYHD card, but I use a HiPix card instead... Some basic common tuning items for "juicing" up a system for optimal disk performance applies across the board to all high speed video related configurations...

I'd suggest you inspect the "Home Theatre Computers" forum on AVS for specific MYHD issues. Since you're seeing "live" stuff OK, the signal being received is ok.

I've posted some info that is "general" in nature that may point you in the right direction in a previous "stuttering" related HiPix thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...60#post1912060

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...52#post1939152

Quote:

I had to remove my signal amp from the antenna. I can't pick up ANY digital stations with it hooked in. Anyone know why?

Try hooking this antenna + amplifier arrangement into a standard analog TV and tune in channel 27 and 36 via analog... I'll bet you're overloading the input stage of your tuner with too much signal... I have to switch my pre-amp out of circuit for local stations (DTV or analog), and put it back in to pick up Cinci and L'ville.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page