Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5253 Old 02-20-2004, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last night I was recording Survivor with my MyHD card on my HTPC off of WKYT-DT and noticed the new format.. 1280x720p, 59.94fps. Previously they were 1920x1080i at 29.97fps. I had been transcoding my recordings to divx AVI for personal archive, no problem with the original format, but this new format has thrown me for a loop. The framerate is causing some skippy-playback and audio sync issues. Does anyone know why the change was made in broadcast format at CBS? Is it a temporary change (I hope so).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5253 Old 02-21-2004, 04:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by BenCJedi
Last night I was recording Survivor with my MyHD card on my HTPC off of WKYT-DT and noticed the new format.. 1280x720p, 59.94fps. Previously they were 1920x1080i at 29.97fps. I had been transcoding my recordings to divx AVI for personal archive, no problem with the original format, but this new format has thrown me for a loop. The framerate is causing some skippy-playback and audio sync issues. Does anyone know why the change was made in broadcast format at CBS? Is it a temporary change (I hope so).

I don't know why they have done that. I can't tell what their format is. I
did notice that they didn't show CSI in HD Thursday night, but were back to
showing HD Friday night.
post #363 of 5253 Old 02-21-2004, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Last night I was recording Survivor with my MyHD card on my HTPC off of WKYT-DT and noticed the new format.. 1280x720p, 59.94fps. Previously they were 1920x1080i at 29.97fps.

Humm ... verrrry interrrestingk ... I did notice that they seemed to be having some upconverter / encoder problems on 13-1 a couple of days ago.

Then again, perhaps they are experimenting with trying to squeeze more multicasting into their 19.3Mbps.

Thankfully, WLKY-DT is now within my range 95% of the time .... Grade B cuts both ways baby!!!!

HDC
post #364 of 5253 Old 02-21-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Then again, perhaps they are experimenting with trying to squeeze more multicasting into their 19.3Mbps.

The following link mentions doing a looping newscast 24/7... maybe HDC is correct on the multicasting front...
http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=852691
post #365 of 5253 Old 02-21-2004, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ragamuffin
The following link mentions doing a looping newscast 24/7...

I was under the impression that 13-2 was allocated for this, just haven't implemented loop part yet. Who knows, there's no rhyme or reason to when they actually utilize what they have set up.

I suspect they could be trying to put up an HD feed (at 720p) and have SEC basketball running on the 480i sub without the usual horrible macroblocking on the 480i sub-channel. Given that there's no way KYT is ever going to give up the UK/SEC/JP sports, I could almost live with this senario (temporary of course.)

HDC
post #366 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

But CSI looked so much better in the HD format they were using. Plus it was a snap to encode to divx avi (and still looked great on a 700MB CDR). I had to decimate the framerate by 2 for good divx avi playback with the new format. The drawback to that is the audio going out of sync 3 or so times throughout the encode. It was much simpler with the old format and 29.97fps. I'm guessing WKYT wouldn't have a reason for going back to the old broadcast format would they?
post #367 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 05:06 AM

BenCJedi, how small is your indoor antenna? Is it a tabletop or rabbit ear model or something larger? I'm trying to figure out the smallest antenna I need without freaking out the wife with more equipment.
post #368 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 05:36 AM

The following chart gives some information on various DTV transmission formats that are possible. It does appear that WKYT-DT can be more economical with a 1280x720px59.94fps rate than with a 1920x1080ix29.97fps rate. Leans in the direction of more multicasting potential...

Here's the link where I extracted this chart:

http://www.miranda.com/library.en/Di...Std_Poster.pdf

post #369 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm guessing WKYT wouldn't have a reason for going back to the old broadcast format would they?

Don't know ... don't really care anymore. WLKY has become my CBS-HD provider of choice ... higher bandwidth, better audio, much better looking SD upconverts compared to WKYT. The difference is stunning - especially on HD NFL broadcasts.

HDC
post #370 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
...higher bandwidth, better audio, much better looking SD upconverts compared to WKYT.

... are they doing the DD 5.1 thing on their audio yet?
post #371 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ragamuffin
... are they doing the DD 5.1 thing on their audio yet?

Well the 5.1 "light" on my reciever doesn't light up, but the surround mix is a lot more "active" plus the high frequency response is much better. In contrast, the audio on KYT is dull and muddy (for lack of better descriptive terms.) The Grammy broadcast really showed off the difference.

Still, my main beef with WKYT is not that they multicast, it's that 95% of the time they don't bother to use the capability to resolve the JP Sports vs CBS scheduling issues. With 1 analog and 2 digital "services" available, why oh why do we have to wait until 1:30 - 2:00am for Letterman or whatever else got preempted. You'd think they could put up CBS on at least one of those channels ...

Blah ... sign me "Fed Up in KY"

HDC
post #372 of 5253 Old 02-22-2004, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NickR
BenCJedi, how small is your indoor antenna? Is it a tabletop or rabbit ear model or something larger? I'm trying to figure out the smallest antenna I need without freaking out the wife with more equipment.

Nick.. it's not a tabletop or rabbit ear model. It's a mounted-on-a-pole freebie UHF antenna a previous tenant forgot in the space above the second bedroom. It's around 2.5-3' I would estimate. Here's a picture so you can get an idea (angle corrected so stud is perpendicular to floor, as viewed through ceiling portal)

post #373 of 5253 Old 02-23-2004, 11:04 AM

I am finally ready to make the move and purchase a hi-def television. I have a question and thought this might be the best place to ask. I live in Somerset and we get our local stations from Lexington. Does anyone think there is any chance at all of me being able to pick up any of the hi-def signals from Lexington here in Somerset?? I'm about 75 miles from there. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated. We have Charter cable here and according to them they have no immediate plans to offer any hi-def programming in this area.
post #374 of 5253 Old 02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ButchKy
Does anyone think there is any chance at all of me being able to pick up any of the hi-def signals from Lexington here in Somerset?? I'm about 75 miles from there.

Humm ... kind of dicey. You may be able to reel in WKYT (CBS) and of course, you have a KET x-mitter in your back yard. WTVQ(ABC) is a long shot, but, stranger things have happened. WLEX (NBC) is still in limbo.

HDC
post #375 of 5253 Old 02-25-2004, 01:44 PM

Don't know if you have seen this:

ALEXANDRIA, Va., Feb. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing its decades-long leadership in television technology, PBS today announced the March 1, 2004 launch of the PBS HD Channel, making PBS the first broadcaster to provide a fully packaged 24/7 channel consisting entirely of High Definition and Widescreen content.
The PBS HD Channel will be available from local PBS stations that have transitioned to digital broadcasting, as well as through local digital cable systems that have agreed to retransmit the digital signal of their local public television station.

"The launch of the PBS HD Channel is a significant milestone in PBS' commitment to the digital transition," said Pat Mitchell, PBS President and CEO. "Local PBS digital stations already offer a range of digital services, including unique, groundbreaking multicasting content. The PBS HD Channel will be a key component of PBS' growing digital portfolio."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040225/dcw001_1.html

I wonder if KET will put this on one of their channels.
post #376 of 5253 Old 02-25-2004, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am finally ready to make the move and purchase a hi-def television. I have a question and thought this might be the best place to ask. I live in Somerset and we get our local stations from Lexington. Does anyone think there is any chance at all of me being able to pick up any of the hi-def signals from Lexington here in Somerset?? I'm about 75 miles from there. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated. We have Charter cable here and according to them they have no immediate plans to offer any hi-def programming in this area.

ButchKY,
I'm in Corbin and I can get nothing from the Lexington stations. WKYT is broadcasting directionally to the southeast, WTVQ to the north and WDKY is going north as well. I do pick up WYMT from Hazard , WATE ABC Knoxville, WBIR NBC Knoxville all HD. WATE is at full power and I bet you could get it as well. You could also try the Louisville stations. Search around here awhile to figure out what all you need. You'll definitely need a rooftop antenna. The Louisville CBS and WATE ABC in Knoxville are both 26 so you'll need a directional antenna (read YAGI) to pick up both. I think this is the reason I have no luck with CBS from Louisville because WATE is so strong (I use a CM 4228). Good Luck. PM me if you need any more help.
Charles
post #377 of 5253 Old 02-25-2004, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nuts4scuba
Don't know if you have seen this:

ALEXANDRIA, Va., Feb. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing its decades-long leadership in television technology, PBS today announced the March 1, 2004 launch of the PBS HD Channel, making PBS the first broadcaster to provide a fully packaged 24/7 channel consisting entirely of High Definition and Widescreen content.
The PBS HD Channel will be available from local PBS stations that have transitioned to digital broadcasting, as well as through local digital cable systems that have agreed to retransmit the digital signal of their local public television station.

"The launch of the PBS HD Channel is a significant milestone in PBS' commitment to the digital transition," said Pat Mitchell, PBS President and CEO. "Local PBS digital stations already offer a range of digital services, including unique, groundbreaking multicasting content. The PBS HD Channel will be a key component of PBS' growing digital portfolio."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040225/dcw001_1.html

I wonder if KET will put this on one of their channels.

Ask me no questions I tell you no lies.....
post #378 of 5253 Old 02-26-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Did KET increase power for their Lexington tower? I am getting around 40% signal all the time now recently. It's like I added 6 more channels of educational goodness because it was around 20% signal earlier in the year and wouldn't even lock on most of the time. I made no hardware changes, so I assume something changed to increase their signal strength.
post #379 of 5253 Old 02-27-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did KET increase power for their Lexington tower? I am getting around 40% signal all the time now recently. It's like I added 6 more channels of educational goodness because it was around 20% signal earlier in the year and wouldn't even lock on most of the time. I made no hardware changes, so I assume something changed to increase their signal strength.

Most likely weather and seasonal changes in the atmosphere ... This about the time things start changing. WTVQ has been a bit dicey for me this week, same thing happened last spring (for me anyway.) But I'm sure William will chime in with the official answer ...

HDC
post #380 of 5253 Old 02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope, all KET transmittters have been at full power since day 1.
post #381 of 5253 Old 02-27-2004, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Horray for changing weather then! Now if the atmosphere would just scoot over some WDKY-DT to my meager antenna in Lexington, that'd be even better. And while it is at it, I woldn't mind it curving over the WB-DT station too (shoestring operation or not).
post #382 of 5253 Old 02-28-2004, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Horray for changing weather then! Now if the atmosphere would just scoot over some WDKY-DT to my meager antenna in Lexington, that'd be even better. And while it is at it, I woldn't mind it curving over the WB-DT station too (shoestring operation or not).

... Give it up on WDKY ...

On a related note, bounce/ducting season appears to have returned. Stations were booming in from Cincy and Louisville this morning. Nearly had the much maligned WDRB-DT and even Dayton stations ... Spring can't be far behind

HDC

PS: I can't believe how awful WKYT's upconverts look compared to upconverts on WKRC and WLKY ... it's like VHS vs DVD.
post #383 of 5253 Old 02-29-2004, 09:17 AM

Has something happened to the WTVQ-DT (ABC) signal in Lexington? I cannot get a signal to save my life any more (nor can a friend of mine in a different part of town).

I have a rooftop antenna that according to my installer was splitting the CBS/ABC transmitters (I'm on Richmond Rd at the resevoir right before Jacobson park -- both are ~4 miles north of me). CBS comes in loud and clear (as does PBS 42) but ABC isn't even a blip any more.

Any thoughts? Getting up to the antenna for me isn't a real option (simply too afraid of heights, its a 4 story drop off the back side of the house, Oscars in HD not worth that ) -- so any antenna work is going to require me calling in a contractor (speaking of, any have a favorite in Lexington that knows what they are doing when it comes to TV reception).

Thanks for any sugestions.
post #384 of 5253 Old 02-29-2004, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jstew9
Has something happened to the WTVQ-DT (ABC) signal in Lexington? I cannot get a signal to save my life any more (nor can a friend of mine in a different part of town).

Interesting ..... They are definately on the air, although the signal has been quite variable of late. (Note: I'm about 35mi from the tower.) I'd head done to the local ratshack, pick up a cheap indoor antenna and try that. (The double bow tie is a good bet.) The signal may actually be skipping over your location (weather conditions.) Or more likely, your roof top antenna may have gotten re-aimed courtesy of Mother-Nature.

Aiming is critical for WTVQ, but WKLE and WKYT are much more forgiving. (I can point my antenna 60deg off axis and still pull in WKLE and WKYT.)

HDC
post #385 of 5253 Old 02-29-2004, 08:40 PM

Any new news on ABC and Insight? I just can't believe that I'm "stuck" watching CBS instead of ABC's HD programs.

FWIW, I've had the PVR for a little more than a month now. I LOVE the fact that I can timeshift DiscoverHD, HDnet(s) and CBS!!! Meh - bravo/espnhd. The performance is ok. I have a few problems using FF sometimes and the guide / interface is just frustrating. I really want ABC's movies.
post #386 of 5253 Old 03-01-2004, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

WYMT problem

I've been watching WYMT-DT from Hazard for several mos. now as my only channel for CBS-HD. I just can't pull in WKYT and WVLT in Knoxville is too weak as well. Over the past few days I've lost their signal, though. It used to be my strongest one. I looked on the FCC site and they have an
STA for low power still in effect. However, they were at full power until recently AFAIK. Anyone with any ideas? Can multipath conditions be so bad sometimes that a strong signal drops out altogether? I still can register a signal, but it's erratic going from weak to moderate and back again. No picture. Not even mapping of the station on my LG tuner. I've emailed their CE and am awaiting a response.

Charles
post #387 of 5253 Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 PM

I live in north Richmond and can't believe NBC in Lexington and Fox in Danville aren't broadcasting digital yet. Does anyone know if it's in the works?

Thanks!

Paul
Richmond,KY
post #388 of 5253 Old 03-02-2004, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe Fox is broadcasting, but at such low power that the signal is very difficult to receive. I can barely register a signal in Corbin on ch. 4 with a CM Stealthtenna and Blonder Tongue preamp at about 20 ft in the air.

WLEX has had all sorts of problems and it sounds like has drug it's feet in getting started. Supposedly, it was a problem obtaining a construction permit. They are supposed to be on Ch. 39 at 1000kw according to the FCC site but I've not heard anyone say when they'll start. Maybe since they're late they'll go to full power quickly. I can't receive WKYT or WTVQ in Corbin either as they are broadcasting directionally and not towards the south. WYMT is strong from Hazard for me though (the signal seems to be back at full strength now, didn't hear any word on what the problem was).

Charles

Edit: The WYMT CE did respond to my email and indeed their was a problem with their transmitter power supply for a day or two which has now been corrected.
post #389 of 5253 Old 03-02-2004, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed last week's Survivor, Early Show, CSI and Letterman for WKYT were back at 1920x1080i @ 29.97fps. I think all their programming was back to that resolution/framerate. I guess they are still playing around. I hope they keep it in that format.

What's weird for me is that I am using a MyHD card for my HDTV/DTV and stuff that is shown in 1920x1080i @29.97fps plays perfectly when live, even when recording, but if the signal is 1280x720p @59.94fps and I am watching and/or recording live TV I have bad lip sync issues. I can play back those 720p recordings (non-live) and the audio is in sync perfctly with the video. Perhaps it is a hardware problem with my home theater PC and the MyHD card. It is on slower hardware, so that could be it. But anyway The MyHD card is fantastic. I can record HD programming, edit out commercials, remove the unwanted subchannels and fit a 44-minute show in full HD/DTV on a single DVDR disc. Of course the only way to play them back is on my home theater PC hardware, but it is nice to be able to clean off the harddrive once in awhile and have a nice archive of HD movies and shows for my expanding HD connection.

You're right.. I heard mention about the Sinclair thing with WDKY-4, so it is doubtful with a bigger antenna in the attic I would even get a blip for FOX-DT at my location. Is there no chance in hell they might point their HD antenna towards Lexington and kick up the power several notches? Or do you think Insight is going to pick it up? I only use Insight for their Internet service because of horrible experiences in the past with their shoddy TV signal. That was before they went to using some digital though. A few friends got the new Insight PVR and said the standard def digital channels look horrible. Did Insight fix that yet?
post #390 of 5253 Old 03-03-2004, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

BenCjedi,
Where are you located? I'm in Corbin which is 60 mi away and I can get a weak signal intermittently but have never gotten a picture. Depending on which STA and antenna they are using, Fox is either broadcasting due south at 7.5kw or easterly at 26kw. It's probably the lower power or more people could get it in Lex. I would think. In any case, if I can register a signal down here, it might be worth a try for you depending on your location. The antenna is on the SE side of Lex., not in Danville as you may already know.

I don't have access to Insight down here. You're lucky to have a cable system that has heard of HD. The people at Charter don't even know the difference b/w "digital" cable and DTV.

Charles
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page