Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5254 Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news about insight adding ABC to their HD lineup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5254 Old 06-04-2004, 03:27 PM

I was talking to an installer last night and he claimed the impass was over local ABC wanting Insight to carry all of their digital feeds. Insight it seems only wants to pay for their main feed.
post #453 of 5254 Old 06-07-2004, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just FYI on the WLEX situation.

Pax's digital is on 21
and WDKY has an application in for Ch 22.
post #454 of 5254 Old 06-07-2004, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally posted by William Smith
Just FYI on the WLEX situation.

Pax's digital is on 21
and WDKY has an application in for Ch 22.

Yep ... but, WDKY has already been turned down at least once for the switch to 22. The problem is the Columbus(or Dayton), OH NBC analog station on 22, which lately has been coming in here quite nicely during the wee hours. I'm beginning to think WLEX may be out of luck until the analog shutoffs. Unless, of course, the TBN station and WLEX could agree to stay at medium to low power levels until the death-of-analog.

HDC
post #455 of 5254 Old 06-07-2004, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
HDC,

What do you think of this?

Attached below are screenshots taken here at the SAME TIME(within a few seconds) of WLEX 18 (left - 107 miles - Az. 180) when it was booming in here via a little short range tropo scatter for hours and hours on morning of 6/3/03 -- and, at right local WBDT-DT 18 Dayton(12 miles - Az. 42 - analog is on 26) - No dropouts! WBDT-DT's "full power" CP is "only" 35KW "DTV" ERP non DA ... I think that's what they're running, and have been since they first came up in early 03.

Anyhow -- I took the screenshot of WBDT-DT off my Dayton antenna, then immediately switched the a/b switch to my Hi-gain antenna w/rotor, aimed towards Cincy/Lexington at the time. I've seen this same situation quite a number of times .... Of course, because of WBDT-DT's "DT Snow" coming in "off the side" I don't see WLEX as often, or as well as I used to when its just a weak signal, as I did before WBDT-DT came on the air ..

Oh, BTW, as long as I'm posting here ... I thought WAVE+WKYT did an excellent job with the storm coverage during those big storms (with the tornado N of Lexington) that rolled through over a week ago ...
LL

Jeff
post #456 of 5254 Old 06-08-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitewatchman
HDC,

What do you think of this?

Attached below are screenshots taken here at the SAME TIME(within a few seconds) of WLEX 18 (left - 107 miles - Az. 180) when it was booming in here via a little short range tropo scatter for hours and hours on morning of 6/3/03 -- ....

I had a similar occurance one morning with the Hazard KET analog xmitter and the Cincy NBC digital station (RF 35) ... didn't even have to move my antenna.

Quote:

Oh, BTW, as long as I'm posting here ... I thought WAVE+WKYT did an excellent job with the storm coverage during those big storms (with the tornado N of Lexington) that rolled through over a week ago ...

Agreed ... I was cycling between WLKY, WAVE, WKYT, WLEX and WTVQ and all of them were doing a fine job. I can't understand all the people that wrote in to the Courier-Journal complaining about the non-stop coverage. What is one life saved compared to a bit of temporary inconvienence? So I missed the burn off of "Line of Fire," big deal, I'll get over it.

HDC
post #457 of 5254 Old 06-22-2004, 04:50 AM

Been kinda slow in here so I thought a post a reply I got back from Mr DTV
when I sent a question in on WDKY FOX getting a bigger antenna or increasing power so we could receive it in Lexington:

As far as I know, we are in the process of completing an agreement that
will allow our station to change location, increase height and power.
So, in a word, "YES". WDKY is also scheduled to carry/broadcast HD
with
the upcoming schedule starting in September.

Happy Viewing!

Sincerely, "Mr. DTV"
post #458 of 5254 Old 06-22-2004, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by nuts4scuba
Been kinda slow in here so I thought a post a reply I got back from Mr DTV
when I sent a question in on WDKY FOX getting a bigger antenna or increasing power so we could receive it in Lexington:

As far as I know, we are in the process of completing an agreement that
will allow our station to change location, increase height and power.
So, in a word, "YES". WDKY is also scheduled to carry/broadcast HD
with
the upcoming schedule starting in September.

Happy Viewing!

Sincerely, "Mr. DTV"

That is EXCELLENT news!! I can't wait to be able to pick up FOX digitally OTA in Lexington. Did they say if they would be switching from VHF to UHF?
post #459 of 5254 Old 06-22-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BenCJedi
That is EXCELLENT news!! I can't wait to be able to pick up FOX digitally OTA in Lexington. Did they say if they would be switching from VHF to UHF?

Here's that status as far as we (thanks to Nitewatchman) can determine from the filings on FCC site:

1) WDKY has secured a CP to move their *analog* tower from it's current location to around Clay's Ferry.

2) WDKY has another application for their digital service (on VHF - 4 ) to be co-located with the analog tower above. This application has *not been approved yet.* (Note: power increase to 26.6kW and much more favorable radiation pattern.)

Speculation: I suspect the digital application will not be approved until WDKY actually builds the new analog tower.

3) All previous applications to change from channel 4 to channel 22 have been denied or dismissed.

HDC

PS: WDKY has a history of "finding" or "planning" new tower sites, only to have some type of "problem" crop up to nix the whole affair. So I'll believe that we'll have FOX-HD in September, when I actually see it
post #460 of 5254 Old 06-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Update:

William,
I checked KET4 last night between 8pm-10pm. The audio sync was fixed, but there were occasional audio dropouts through out the period. 1 and 2 did not seem to have any dropout problems.

HDC

What's up with the signal tonight? Thought I was going to see Nova in HD but I'm only getting a frame or two every few minutes... Same on 29 (another KET I get).. Anyone seeing this?

post #461 of 5254 Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by chuckgr
What's up with the signal tonight? Thought I was going to see Nova in HD but I'm only getting a frame or two every few minutes... Same on 29 (another KET I get).. Anyone seeing this?

Yep same here ... same thing happened last Thursday and Friday night. I haven't been able to crosscheck with WKMJ.

HDC
post #462 of 5254 Old 06-24-2004, 07:29 AM

Anyone having a problem with WKYT remapping? The last few days WKYT is showing up on 13-1 instead of remapping to 27-1. I have a good signal at 85% and I tried to rescan numerous times, but still won't map.

I had a problem with KET Tuesday night also. Tried to watch Fleetwood Mac, but picture would just go in and out. Last night it appeared to be ok. I watch some of Ayers Rock at 10:00 and it looked pretty good.
post #463 of 5254 Old 06-24-2004, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Anyone having a problem with WKYT remapping? The last few days WKYT is showing up on 13-1 instead of remapping to 27-1. I have a good signal at 85% and I tried to rescan numerous times, but still won't map.

I had a problem with KET Tuesday night also. Tried to watch Fleetwood Mac, but picture would just go in and out. Last night it appeared to be ok. I watch some of Ayers Rock at 10:00 and it looked pretty good.

Same here... all of the above. I've seen the remapping problem on WAVE out of L'vile on occasion but it would remap correctly after a while (stronger signal?)

Chuck
post #464 of 5254 Old 06-24-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same here... all of the above. I've seen the remapping problem on WAVE out of L'vile on occasion but it would remap correctly after a while (stronger signal?)

Nope ... just PSIP generator issues ... Actually for some recievers, it's a blessing to have the "remap" disabled. The virtual mapping tends to cause more problems than it solves.

HDC
post #465 of 5254 Old 06-24-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Nope ... just PSIP generator issues ... Actually for some recievers, it's a blessing to have the "remap" disabled. The virtual mapping tends to cause more problems than it solves.

HDC

OK, thanks for the info.. Now I need to see if I can turn off remapping on my STB.

Chuck
post #466 of 5254 Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, thanks for the info.. Now I need to see if I can turn off remapping on my STB.

Oops, I may have been unclear, what I meant is many receivers behave much better if the *station* does not use virtual mapping - especially if the STB also uses program guide data from a third party (read D* receivers - specifically the Hughes E86.)

As long as you can still tune WKYT/WAVE using the actual RF channel number, be happy - it could be much worse.

HDC
post #467 of 5254 Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Oops, I may have been unclear, what I meant is many receivers behave much better if the *station* does not use virtual mapping - especially if the STB also uses program guide data from a third party (read D* receivers - specifically the Hughes E86.)

As long as you can still tune WKYT/WAVE using the actual RF channel number, be happy - it could be much worse.

HDC

Alright.. clear now. Never really bothered me either way, would like it if the stations could fix it and stay consistent.. Same with the time signal...right now I get a different time for each station (and in many cases it's off by months) , I know this because my STB gets the time from the OTA signal (I did get WAVE to fix theirs, but it's wrong again..sigh).

Chuck
post #468 of 5254 Old 06-26-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Kewl ... I notice that the PBS-HD guide data is starting to filter in for WKLE-DT. Thanks William (et al.) Now I have one less reason to get up off the couch

HDC
post #469 of 5254 Old 06-26-2004, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave Powell at WLEX has updated their digital status at WLEX Info

Looks like "several months" yet but apparently the FCC is finally moving.

HDC
post #470 of 5254 Old 06-27-2004, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Dave Powell at WLEX has updated their digital status at http://www.wlextv.com/Global/story.a...2&nav=EQlxJSG5

Looks like "several months" yet but apparently the FCC is finally moving.

HDC

Well, I guess no Olympics in HD. Since I live on the far east side of Lexington I don't think it is worth my time to see if I can get WAVE out of Louisville.

Is WLEX going to change their channel number from 39? If not, is that going to be a problem with WTVQ at 40?

Robert
post #471 of 5254 Old 06-27-2004, 06:57 AM

I noticed on WDKY's website that they are looking for a chief engineer.
I wonder if this will slow them down on any of their changes that they will be doing?

Robert
post #472 of 5254 Old 06-27-2004, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is WLEX going to change their channel number from 39? If not, is that going to be a problem with WTVQ at 40?

As far as I can tell, it still going to be 39.

For you, there's always hope that you could reel in WLWT-DT (RF-35), especially late night, WAVE-DT isn't necessarily a lost cause either. Ya never know tell you try
post #473 of 5254 Old 06-29-2004, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Yes, I am still having this problem with my HDTiVo. I couldn't figure out why I had a bunch of blank recordings, then I noticed that 27-1 was blank. I checked signal strength and it was at 92. I rescanned the channels and it found 13-1, 13-2, 13-3 with no guide data. The TiVo still wants to record on 27-1.

What can I do about this? Do I need to call the station and complain?
post #474 of 5254 Old 06-29-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bfdhe
Yes, I am still having this problem with my HDTiVo. I couldn't figure out why I had a bunch of blank recordings, then I noticed that 27-1 was blank. I checked signal strength and it was at 92. I rescanned the channels and it found 13-1, 13-2, 13-3 with no guide data. The TiVo still wants to record on 27-1.

Ugh ... the virtual mapping lunacy rears another ugly head. I don't know what to tell you - my E86 is still (apparently) finding WKYT (on 27.1) and WAVE (on 3.1) from the APG mapping. Looks like the HDTivo handles the mapping information differently. A call to the station could help, in the mean time it looks like manual timers for you.

HDC

PS: How the heck did you get a hold of a HD-Tivo? (Lucky *****)
post #475 of 5254 Old 06-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:

HDC

PS: How the heck did you get a hold of a HD-Tivo? (Lucky *****)

Got it from BestBuy. Ordered Online.

If you havent already, check out the HDTivo thread in this fourm (Tivo Community)
post #476 of 5254 Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:

As far as I can tell, it still going to be 39.

For you, there's always hope that you could reel in WLWT-DT (RF-35), especially late night, WAVE-DT isn't necessarily a lost cause either. Ya never know tell you try

At my cabin at Cave Run lake, I can pick up WKRC-DT from Cincy but can't get WLWT-DT. Luckily, I can get WSAZ-DT from Huntington so I should be good to go for my Olympic watching. If I could just pick up a digital Fox channel from somewhere I could watch Fox Saturday baseball minus the snow.

I also wish I could pick up WTVQ-DT on a more consistent basis. Oh well.
post #477 of 5254 Old 06-29-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bfdhe
Got it from BestBuy. Ordered Online.

Ye of the infinite patience I gave up on playing the BB/CC roulette game, I suppose I'll wait until it's actually in stores - plus I'm not convinced it's worth it until D* expands their HD offerings.

HDC
post #478 of 5254 Old 06-30-2004, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Ye of the infinite patience I gave up on playing the BB/CC roulette game, I suppose I'll wait until it's actually in stores - plus I'm not convinced it's worth it until D* expands their HD offerings.

HDC

I have heard rumors that D* is going to add more HD channels getting up to around 20, also I saw a rumor posted on Satelliteguys.us yesterday that D* will show all NFL games in HD starting mid season. That might be of interest if you get Sunday ticket.

Robert
post #479 of 5254 Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I have heard rumors that D* is going to add more HD channels getting up to around 20, also I saw a rumor posted on Satelliteguys.us yesterday that D* will show all NFL games in HD starting mid season. That might be of interest if you get Sunday ticket.

Robert

True, Fox will broadcast 6 games each Sunday in HD and CBS hasn't announced yet how many games they will broadcast in HD (last season was only 1) but there is a rumor they will broadcast ALL their AFC conference games in HD. That would be sweet.

I finally got rid of insight as well and signed up with D*. It was ridiculous that more than a year since they started their HD lineup and still the local WTVQ wasnt not added (for monday night football reasons). When asked why, they keep replying "We're in negotiations with the station". Well, let them keep negotiating. That was getting absurd. I lost the entire monday night broadcasts in HD of last season because of that. For this season, I said screw them and switched to D*. I dont know why I didnt do that before. Not to mention D* is cheaper.

Now Im just waiting for the HD Tivo to become available...
post #480 of 5254 Old 07-10-2004, 12:36 PM

Johnny,

Hate to see you moved over to the Dish, but can understand your frustration with the WTVQ situation. Believe me, it has been equally as frustrating for us. I've been wanting to jump on here and update the local forum members on a preliminary road-map on our plans for the next 6 to 8 months. And also I would like to invite anyone interested to participate in open discussions hosted by Insight, to help us better understand what our current subscribers and non-subscriber's are looking for.

The marketing and customer service groups hold focus groups with a cross section of folks, but I am really looking for the people who understand all the new technology, and maybe not, but would like to. On my end, I would have my highest level technical people, who design and implement all the new services we are implementing currently and plan on over the near future.

If your are interested or know of anyone that is, please email me @

boggs.w@insight-com.com

1. WTVQ (Rumors Someone Told Me, not an Official Insight Statement)
Owned by Media General and has been holding out in hopes they could strike a deal to combine bandwidth with other digital broadcast stations and offer a package to compete directly with cable companies in their broadcast areas they own stations. Insight has been willing to sign an agreement just like we already have in place with WKYT and have had since DAY 1.

2. WDKY FOX Look for FOX to be on Inisght in Lexington on DAY 1 that their Transmitter is up and running @ Clays Ferry. We met with their Engineers 2 weeks ago. And no, the engineer moving to TVQ will not affect the timetable. FYI....it will be real close for the first game of the NFL Season!!!!

3. We will be launching both College Sports Television and the NFL Network in early August. Initially the NFL network will have 2 hours of HD programming per week and around the first of the year the will be launching a second channel of 24/7 HD programming. I' also read in the literature that there would be 54 preseason games, and I am pretty sure that I read we would also have all NFL games played on a particular Sunday available the next day on our SVOD service. Also, once the current contract runs up for the NFL Ticket with "D", Cable Companies, will finally have access.

4. As far as other HD Programming, there are 4 or 5 other channels that will be added by end of the year. But of course we have to wait until the ink is wet on the contracts before talking about them. But if I was a betting man, I would bet on........Inhd 1&2...TNT.....maybe some other movie channels???? Again..these are just some good rumors.....

5. Digital Overlay is our term for digital duplication of our analog lineup. While we have not made a decision to go full throttle yet, we are in the test phase of duplicating our analog lineup in a digital format. The preliminary plans and compression schemes I have seen so far would definitely give us a big edge over any sat delivered digital signals. More to come on this...Also, for those with the 6208 DVR and HI Def Televisions, this bring a vast improvement to picture quality.....

6. The analog picture quality on the 6208 DVR that is more visible on the bigger sets, is being looked at from a couple of different fronts. First, it does make sense and cable companies will have to go all digital at some time. Second, the second generation DVR, which I'm not really sure when Moto is going to release, or if they already have released. Insight plans on waiting until the first of the year to roll it out, which it should also include the second hard drive.

There are a bunch of really cool things coming in the next 6 to 8 months...but I think I've been long winded enough...

Thanks,
Winston Boggs
Technical Operations Manager
Lexington Insight
859-514-2418
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page