Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 5250 Old 02-06-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
AM is not based on line of sight, while FM and TV are.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5250 Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

AM is not based on line of sight, while FM and TV are.

- Trip
Yes I knew there were some technical differences regarding methods of transmission. And I am not sure if Cincinnati FM radio can be received in Lexington, KY. Or digital TV. But 700-WLW has a very strong AM signal, including HD Radio. I wish WBT and WSB would adopt IBOC broadcasting, but for some reason they consider it problematic. But WLW is an example of AM HD with a good signal.
post #5223 of 5250 Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

And I am not sure if Cincinnati FM radio can be received in Lexington, KY.

It can't. I was there last year, and WEBN was gone long before I got to Lexington.
Quote:
Or digital TV.

Theoretically possible, but impractical.
Quote:
I wish WBT and WSB would adopt IBOC broadcasting, but for some reason they consider it problematic.

http://www.wysl1040.com/media_files/wysl/IBOC_OBSERVATIONS.mp3

And I've never managed to decode any AM HDs on my Sony radios. Friend of mine got one once in his car while driving near the towers.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5224 of 5250 Old 02-07-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Given the atmospheric challenges of the evening, I think we can excuse any and all local stations for any outages.
Of course we can, but it wasn't any other station who went out, it was WKYT ...once again.
Bottom line is, there has to be a reason why it's WKYT with the worst outage record amongst the stations in the same market.
The numbers speak for themselves, period.
post #5225 of 5250 Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
OK:

1. Its television station, not a hospital, nor a utility..
2. 10 minutes per week is still 99.9 % uptime.. compare that to your ISP whom you pay for service, OTA TV is free service to the end user after equipment purchase.
3. No one ever died because a television station wasn't on the air.. but several have keeping them on the air.
4. Unless you have worked in that environment, you have no idea what goes on and trust me just like making sausage, you really don't want to know..
5. Unless you have way to monitor all stations at all times and keep track of the total off-air time, you really can't say they are off more than others.. it just seems that way to you because that is the station you are watching at that time, and you didn't tune away since you said they were off 10 minutes.

I've explained before that the transmitters are not instant start unless they are solid state, and when you are risking damaging something that can costs way more that your salary, you are very conservative.

I'm sure that WKYT would entertain you donating a second transmitter system to their plant as long as you paid all the maintenance expenses.

I had an FM station that had a transmitter catch fire at 5:00 in the afternoon, I told the ops manager to shut it down while I drove to the site.. He was livid when I got there, until I told him very calmly that this wasn't a crisis.. it wasn't like working on the emergency generator at a hospital during an ice storm.

its all about priorities..

I had calls this past week that FM stations were off due to ice buildup, told them I would check things by remote and go to the site in the morning if needed.

Its not worth me or anyone in my profession getting hurt for your entertainment.
HDGal likes this.
post #5226 of 5250 Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownKY View Post

Bottom line is, there has to be a reason why it's WKYT with the worst outage record amongst the stations in the same market.

Actually, I'm pretty sure WDKY still holds the record(s) for both number and length of (unintentional) outages in the market.

How quickly we forget the analog, Buena Vista days. wink.gif

PS: No, I'm not forgetting the time WTVQ was off the air for almost a month the last time Lexington had a major ice storm, (which was followed by huge chucks of tower ice carpet bombing the WTVQ studio/offices.)
post #5227 of 5250 Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 AM

Liked: 12
I've noticed for quite a while now that wlex 18 has an odd looking picture on their local news broadcasts. the image looks stretched compared to the other 2 local news broadcasts. When the camera is on any of the news broadcasters, they definitely look odd. I have noticed this on many different tv sets, and from directv, ota, and local cable sources. I do not have a stretch setting enabled, so i'm 100 % sure its not my tv due to settings, and due to seeing this on many different tv sets. Anyone else notice this odd looking image from wlex?
post #5228 of 5250 Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddogn View Post

I've noticed for quite a while now that wlex 18 has an odd looking picture on their local news broadcasts. the image looks stretched compared to the other 2 local news broadcasts. When the camera is on any of the news broadcasters, they definitely look odd. I have noticed this on many different tv sets, and from directv, ota, and local cable sources. I do not have a stretch setting enabled, so i'm 100 % sure its not my tv due to settings, and due to seeing this on many different tv sets. Anyone else notice this odd looking image from wlex?
Did you happen to notice whether they are listing school closings at the bottom of the screen? When they do that, the image is "squeezed" from the bottom up to fit the closings graphic. That could cause what you're seeing.
post #5229 of 5250 Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

Did you happen to notice whether they are listing school closings at the bottom of the screen? When they do that, the image is "squeezed" from the bottom up to fit the closings graphic. That could cause what you're seeing.

LOL ... The crawlers have been up for so long that it actually looks weird to me when they slip up and pass the video at normal aspect. ... All of them, not just WLEX. smile.gif

Also, has any one else noticed that WLEX occasionally passes "expanded RGB range" video? There was a string of "Draculas" and "Grimms" (and a "Community" or two) that arrived horribly crushed (black-level-wise.) It seemed like there might have been something set wrong on those graphic generators. Whatever the cause, flipping the black-level (Video v. PC) adjustment to "PC" on my set seemed to fix the affected shows.
post #5230 of 5250 Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:

LOL ... The crawlers have been up for so long that it actually looks weird to me when they slip up and pass the video at normal aspect. ... All of them, not just WLEX. smile.gif

Also, has any one else noticed that WLEX occasionally passes "expanded RGB range" video? There was a string of "Draculas" and "Grimms" (and a "Community" or two) that arrived horribly crushed (black-level-wise.) It seemed like there might have been something set wrong on those graphic generators. Whatever the cause, flipping the black-level (Video v. PC) adjustment to "PC" on my set seemed to fix the affected shows.
There is no video processing done on network level feeds. There's virtually no video processing done on local sources. biggrin.gif
post #5231 of 5250 Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no video processing done on network level feeds. There's virtually no video processing done on local sources. biggrin.gif

Perhaps. But I'm assuming "the feed" (local or network) has to be passed through a box (or two or several) that adds the crawlers, bugs and other overlays not to mention squeezing the aspect ratio ... no?

My crackpot theory is simply that something went wonky with the RGB range(s) in that process. Clearly we're not getting the "raw" network feed here at the receiving terminus. wink.gif

To be clear, I don't recall seeing the super-crushed blacks when the local overlays/bugs were absent.

Then again, perhaps it was network issue. I wasn't able to crosscheck with WAVE since 99% of my viewing is DVR delayed these days.
post #5232 of 5250 Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:

Perhaps. But I'm assuming "the feed" (local or network) has to be passed through a box (or two or several) that adds the crawlers, bugs and other overlays not to mention squeezing the aspect ratio ... no?

My crackpot theory is simply that something went wonky with the RGB range(s) in that process. Clearly we're not getting the "raw" network feed here at the receiving terminus. wink.gif

To be clear, I don't recall seeing the super-crushed blacks when the local overlays/bugs were absent.

Then again, perhaps it was network issue. I wasn't able to crosscheck with WAVE since 99% of my viewing is DVR delayed these days.
You are correct. What I was reading from your post was the problem happened with specific shows. That other shows (or commercials) around the same time were fine. That would point to the show being the issue. I know WLEX keeps the crawls and closings up through EVERYTHING rolleyes.gif. If you're only seeing it during certain shows, the show/feed is the problem. If you're seeing it on multiple sources, something else is a problem.

There was a problem a couple weeks ago with a device that darkened everything. That's been corrected through.
post #5233 of 5250 Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There was a problem a couple weeks ago with a device that darkened everything. That's been corrected through.

Probably the same incident(s) I was referring to. I haven't seen the problem recently. At this point, I still have recordings stretching back to November eek.gif ... I just had to dump a few of them for lack of space and time.
post #5234 of 5250 Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM

If I said "a station in the Lexington market has missing OTA PSIP guide data(...yet again)", ....which station would come to mind first? ...ya think?

Let's see here, I'll try to rule out the often used and typical excuses that have been presented by WKYT's fellow industry SE's(and others) who frequent this forum.
*) Transmitter takes 6-10 minutes to restart? ...nope Not Applicable.
*) Lightening or other 'atmospheric conditions'? ...nope N/A.
*) Lack of backup power source? ...nope N/A
*) Not 'enough time' has passed to call it a 'real failure'. ...I believe 'many' hours would qualify this as a bona fide failure needing attention.
*) They have never been informed by a viewer that missing guide data is a recurring problem? ...nope, they've been informed NUMEROUS times, ...not just the SE but also the SM.
(And why should it take a 'viewer' calling to notify 'them' of an error condition? rolleyes.gif )
*) No SE is present at the time who is 'capable' of monitoring the system properly? ...Bingo! Now there's an 'excuse' I can actually buy into.
There is however someone present to make sure 'Jim and/or Chris the Weatherdude' pop's in with live weather updates ...and, ...there certainly is someone there to update the Church closings on the weather crawl. cool.gif

I get the strange feeling though, that Sam will 'still' come up with some 'off the wall' or obscure 'excuse' as to why the 'latest' WKYT failure is acceptable.
And don't forget, seeing how 'nobody's life is in danger' due to WKYT's latest failure, ...perhaps it's wrong of me to vent about it in an open forum discussing "Lexington, KY - HDTV". rolleyes.gif

Time to go fetch the ol' flame retardant jacket and sit back for the reply's. eek.gif
post #5235 of 5250 Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownKY View Post

If I said "a station in the Lexington market has missing OTA PSIP guide data(...yet again)", ....which station would come to mind first? ...ya think?

Let's see here, I'll try to rule out the often used and typical excuses that have been presented by WKYT's fellow industry SE's(and others) who frequent this forum.
*) Transmitter takes 6-10 minutes to restart? ...nope Not Applicable.
*) Lightening or other 'atmospheric conditions'? ...nope N/A.
*) Lack of backup power source? ...nope N/A
*) Not 'enough time' has passed to call it a 'real failure'. ...I believe 'many' hours would qualify this as a bona fide failure needing attention.
*) They have never been informed by a viewer that missing guide data is a recurring problem? ...nope, they've been informed NUMEROUS times, ...not just the SE but also the SM.
(And why should it take a 'viewer' calling to notify 'them' of an error condition? rolleyes.gif )
*) No SE is present at the time who is 'capable' of monitoring the system properly? ...Bingo! Now there's an 'excuse' I can actually buy into.
There is however someone present to make sure 'Jim and/or Chris the Weatherdude' pop's in with live weather updates ...and, ...there certainly is someone there to update the Church closings on the weather crawl. cool.gif

I get the strange feeling though, that Sam will 'still' come up with some 'off the wall' or obscure 'excuse' as to why the 'latest' WKYT failure is acceptable.
And don't forget, seeing how 'nobody's life is in danger' due to WKYT's latest failure, ...perhaps it's wrong of me to vent about it in an open forum discussing "Lexington, KY - HDTV". rolleyes.gif

Time to go fetch the ol' flame retardant jacket and sit back for the reply's. eek.gif
You're right. Absolutely no excuse! Call the FCC and demand their license be revoked! rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, what we consider reasonable excuses and what YOU consider reasonable excuses obviously varies. Assuming you're correct and the PSIP has been down a week, I'm guessing something wrong with the PSIP generation. Is that human error or mechanical? Could be either. If it's mechanical (electrical, whatever, equipment problem), it's possible the stations engineers DO know about the problem but are being told from supervisors to "deal with it". If this made me as upset as it apparently makes you, after contacting the station engineers and the GM with no solution, I'd either contact the "home office" or the FCC. IIRC, PSIP is an FCC requirement. Hopefully you have copies of emails or letters you've sent the station so the appropriate folks know WKYT had been notified. Good luck!

It's also possible it's a problem ELSEWHERE than Lexington. Maybe they get their PSIP data from out-of-house and that source is having problems. I don't know if that's the case, just throwing it out there. Yes, it sounds strange, but I know it's being done by other stations (not in this market).
post #5236 of 5250 Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM

Time Warner Cable has re-arranged CQAM (cable, digital, un-scrambled) channels (again) this morning. I would consider this a "massive realignment", as only 4 channels kept their channel number, and these were all ads for PPV.

Anyway, I have updated the CQAM channel list, and it is available here: bit . ly / TWC-LEX

-matt
post #5237 of 5250 Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 PM

Thanks for that heads up; I guess I've got some work to do tonight on all of the TVs, remotes, and the MythTV box... eek.gif
post #5238 of 5250 Old 03-26-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Grimley View Post

Time Warner Cable has re-arranged CQAM (cable, digital, un-scrambled) channels (again) this morning. I would consider this a "massive realignment", as only 4 channels kept their channel number, and these were all ads for PPV.

Anyway, I have updated the CQAM channel list, and it is available here: bit . ly / TWC-LEX

-matt

Matt,

Thanks for the channel list. One update - WUPX (ION) is on 21.1 in HD 720p.
post #5239 of 5250 Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM

I don't know too much about this but with the repacking of the TV band, anyone think the Lexington stations will end up back on the VHF side again?

Both WDKY and WKYT still have their VHF antennas on their tower up but I am sure it's not for that reason.
post #5240 of 5250 Old 05-06-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post

I don't know too much about this but with the repacking of the TV band, anyone think the Lexington stations will end up back on the VHF side again? .

As I understand it, no full power UHF stations would be forced into VHF.

The Spectrum auction/repack will start at channels 51 and go down. It could be that the spectrum reclamation will stop at, or before, channel 37. If so, then probably only WLEX and WTVQ would be affected.

Although there will be channels in nearby regions that may also be affected (Louisville, etc.) The regions around Lexington are not as heavily populated with UHF stations as several other regions with larger cities.

Seems likely that packing two Lexington channels, or more if necessary, in the remaining band would be feasible.

Initially, the FCC plan was to recover 120 MHz (that would be 20 channels (actually 21 TV channels, leaving channel 37 as is). If this were the case, channel 36 (WKYT) and Channel 31 (WDKY) would be involved. Based on available reports at present, this 120 MHz scenario seems less likely.

Of course things change. There are many factors involved:

- Stations willing to sell their channel rights (go silent)?
- Stations that might consolidate (2 stations sharing same channel)
- Stations volunteering to relocate to VHF (for a price)
- Whether auctions to carrier corporations generate enough revenue to pay for all commitments.
- Lawsuits
- ATSC 3.0 and other technical-related factors
post #5241 of 5250 Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If no one (broadcasters) shows up to sell, there won't be any auction since participation is "voluntary".

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #5242 of 5250 Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

If no one (broadcasters) shows up to sell, there won't be any auction since participation is "voluntary".

Yes.

Although the FCC has the upper hand. The FCC can, thru stricter regulation, use both the 'carrot and stick approach' to broadcasters. Recent regulation changes seem to be negative for broadcasters. Could be part of the 'incentive' in 'incentive auction'.

Not to slight public broadcasting, my previous post did not mention the Lexington area KET stations. The network provides a very valuable public service. Forgot about those KET channels, mainly because I am more familiar with WKSO (channel 14, near Somerset).

KET stations; WKLE (channel 42) and WKON (channel 44) could be also displaced in the auction. They are both in or near the Lexington market.
post #5243 of 5250 Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

My personal thoughts only.. doesn't represent KET in any way.. that is someone else's job now...

There is even more of a ripple effect.. no station in UHF will be safe in my personal opinion.. As stations are displaced and move down the band , the FCC would force other stations to move to make room and since the system is re-reimbursement rather than the Feds pay for the move, how many small market folks have that much capital available and what is the timeline for re-reimbursement? So the real question is where do you start and how many will participate?

Not mention the possibility of speculators ,who will look at this the same as the cellular telephone land rush where people got licenses for small areas and then sold them to the big providers without building anything, who might be buying stations with the intent to auction them off and shut them down.

If you start on the East and West Coasts and work toward the middle it could get interesting.. especially if the FCC considers the world flat and doesn't take into account terrain issues. (They did that with the ruling to block translators by stating that new translators could not be authorized within a certain distance of the top 100 markets.. (Example: Manchester and Pikeville were blocked by Johnson City, Tenn on the other side of the mountains due to the distance requirement.)

The tests in LA showed 2 HDs on a stream...big deal.. the report did not mention the SD services displaced (one station ran over 10) and the quality was judged by a box not human eyes and under high motion.

The only real fix is to go to something new such as ATSC 3.0 or the Sinclair system , that uses software defined codecs instead of hardware defined ones, and the use a different modulation scheme that supports single frequency networks allowing stations to be interwoven closer together, higher bandwidth payloads, as well as delivery to mobile/handheld devices natively.

It does require more transmitter power than the current system.

The enemy is time, and the broadcasters don't have the clout with the FCC compared to CTIA, I was at NAB last month and the FCC didn't have a booth there while FEMA did. That to me spoke volumes...

Bucks for bits....The FCC commissioner's speech to NAB was pushing for Broadcasters to move to OTT solutions.

I'm never thought I'd see radio outlive TV but I think that it will. My kids (both teenagers) get their entertainment from the web via game consoles using Netflix type services they get what they want when they want it. They watch live TV for sports...

Wasn't it interesting that Kentucky viewers couldn't watch UK play in the Final Four on WKYT but instead CBS ran an NCIS re-run?

Glad I didn't have to answer the phone there that night..

William

[
post #5244 of 5250 Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish I could sympathize ... but after nearly two decades of being told I'm not allowed to receive WLKY, WAVE etc, etc simply because I'm 3.5 miles on the wrong side of the border of an arbitrary DMA ...

..... to some extent, perhaps this is just the proverbial chickens coming home to roost????
post #5245 of 5250 Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Stations don't pick the DMAs that's Nielsen... If OTA TV isn't important to you then understand this point.. Most stations feed the satellite and cable providers with OTA signals.

Watch the Aero case... it will have a huge impact..
post #5246 of 5250 Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Smith View Post

Stations don't pick the DMAs that's Nielsen...

Perhaps ... but "stations" have proven their willingness to zealously deny any and all "waivers" based on Nielsen's decrees. smile.gif

Furthermore, when given the opportunity to "help out the little guy" on a temporary basis (until fully operational digitally and HD-wise) and allow "distant network feeds," the answer was still a resounding "NYET!!!"

Furthermore, even though there is now (and for a number of years past) specific legislation that allows satellite to carry "adjacent market" stations for folks in my situation, somehow adjacent market carriage has failed to materialize in any significant way. This, despite the fact that the local cable company has been carrying the specific "adjacent market" in question since the early seventies! Although, I do recall a couple of instances where a station or two tried to shut down the cable carriage. WAVE tried to claim us vs. WLEX in one case! biggrin.gif ... and WDKY tried to shut out WDRB in another, which at least made some sense.

Obviously, this is all pretty stupid from my viewpoint since I can pull in all the full-power Louisville UHF stations via antenna along with all the Lex. stations ... WHAS loses out since I don't want to mess with a VHF antenna.

All I'm saying is Karma can be a real pain. I might be more sympathetic to the current broadcaster woes, if not for the lengthy heavy handed history. wink.gif

If Aereo causes CBS, NBC et al to pull their feeds from OTA and go "basic cable" ... so be it. I have to pay for them anyway even if I don't use the cable/sat feeds. At least we'll no longer be at the mercy of the latest multicast a/o mobileDTV scheme.
post #5247 of 5250 Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Perhaps ... but "stations" have proven their willingness to zealously deny any and all "waivers" based on Nielsen's decrees. smile.gif

Furthermore, when given the opportunity to "help out the little guy" on a temporary basis (until fully operational digitally and HD-wise) and allow "distant network feeds," the answer was still a resounding "NYET!!!"

Furthermore, even though there is now (and for a number of years past) specific legislation that allows satellite to carry "adjacent market" stations for folks in my situation, somehow adjacent market carriage has failed to materialize in any significant way. This, despite the fact that the local cable company has been carrying the specific "adjacent market" in question since the early seventies! Although, I do recall a couple of instances where a station or two tried to shut down the cable carriage. WAVE tried to claim us vs. WLEX in one case! biggrin.gif ... and WDKY tried to shut out WDRB in another, which at least made some sense.

Obviously, this is all pretty stupid from my viewpoint since I can pull in all the full-power Louisville UHF stations via antenna along with all the Lex. stations ... WHAS loses out since I don't want to mess with a VHF antenna.

All I'm saying is Karma can be a real pain. I might be more sympathetic to the current broadcaster woes, if not for the lengthy heavy handed history. wink.gif

If Aereo causes CBS, NBC et al to pull their feeds from OTA and go "basic cable" ... so be it. I have to pay for them anyway even if I don't use the cable/sat feeds. At least we'll no longer be at the mercy of the latest multicast a/o mobileDTV scheme.
I personally think what I bolded was an "empty threat" from the networks.
post #5248 of 5250 Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally think what I bolded was an "empty threat" from the networks.

LOL ... Actually, I'm all for it. biggrin.gif I've never had a problem with "paying" for network TV ... It's just that I feel I should have some actual choice in the matter. I shouldn't have to pay the same amount for a crappy 480i sub-channel as I would for a "direct" 1080i network feed. And furthermore, I shouldn't be forced to buy the 480i "product" just because I live at the wrong lat/long coordinates. wink.gif

What I find amusing about the Aereo case, is that Aereo has probably succeeded in exposing the flaws in the legal house of cards that the broadcast industry has bought over the past 40-50 years. Now, either SCOTUS must declare all antennas illegal or hold their noses and let Aereo "slide" through on the technicality. Perhaps it's really up to congress to fix the loophole ... of course that might trigger yet another SCOTUS case. smile.gif For the record, I'm not interested in the actual Aereo service ... or any internet streamed service ... Furthermore, I think the model is ultimately unsustainable simply due to bandwidth issues.

Speaking of ... Bandwidth problems? Just think about how much bandwidth could be recovered if satellite companies didn't have to carry 120 copies of "CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and CW." It's actually quite mind boggling that the broadcast industry has managed to tie up so much prime real estate in so many different ways. wink.gif
post #5249 of 5250 Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:

LOL ... Actually, I'm all for it. biggrin.gif I've never had a problem with "paying" for network TV ... It's just that I feel I should have some actual choice in the matter. I shouldn't have to pay the same amount for a crappy 480i sub-channel as I would for a "direct" 1080i network feed. And furthermore, I shouldn't be forced to buy the 480i "product" just because I live at the wrong lat/long coordinates. wink.gif

What I find amusing about the Aereo case, is that Aereo has probably succeeded in exposing the flaws in the legal house of cards that the broadcast industry has bought over the past 40-50 years. Now, either SCOTUS must declare all antennas illegal or hold their noses and let Aereo "slide" through on the technicality. Perhaps it's really up to congress to fix the loophole ... of course that might trigger yet another SCOTUS case. smile.gif For the record, I'm not interested in the actual Aereo service ... or any internet streamed service ... Furthermore, I think the model is ultimately unsustainable simply due to bandwidth issues.

Speaking of ... Bandwidth problems? Just think about how much bandwidth could be recovered if satellite companies didn't have to carry 120 copies of "CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and CW." It's actually quite mind boggling that the broadcast industry has managed to tie up so much prime real estate in so many different ways. wink.gif
I don't really have an opinion on whether the "Big 4" going pay TV only is good or bad. I just think it's an empty threat right now. The network affiliates fill ~12 hours of the day. So for a network to go "pay only", they'll need to fill all the time affiliates took care of. Granted, they could repeat a bunch of their shows and/or find other ways to fill the time. I just don't think they would do it.

As far as Aereo, I personally think the company is within the law. IMO, it's up to the broadcasters to prove what Aereo is doing is not technically possible. I do think the Aereo folks researched the law and found a "loophole".

As far as Bandwidth, I think you're ADDING to the bandwidth issue if a network goes "pay only". I'll use Lexington for an example. CBS decides to go "pay only". So Dish/Direct/TW/etc all put the CBS signal up (because folks want to watch college basketball). At the same time, WKYT produces more local content/finds more syndicated shows and is also carried by the satcos. So now you have two signals (CBS & WKYT) filling the job one used to do. Yes, some locals may not survive without a network, but I'm guessing that will be the exception, not the rule.

Also, satellite companies use "spot beams". So while they might be putting up 120 copies of NBC, they're not taking up the space of 120 "slots". Using cable as a comparison, just because Lexington's TW caries WLEX, doesn't mean space is taken from Louisville's TW for WLEX.
post #5250 of 5250 Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM

WDKY has added a second channel, 56-2. Get TV?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page