Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5371 of 5395 Old 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post
Very interesting.



If WKYT sold channel 36, then apparently WDKY is primary on channel 19.

WDKY is essentially allowed to maintain it's existing coverage (+ or - small amount). Currently, WDKY has an inferior antenna pattern (directional lobed pattern to northwest, west & south) compared to WKYT . For example, a WDKY tech confirmed that the station has poor coverage in the Winchester direction.

In this scenario, WKYT could lose coverage.

.
I seem to recall once WDKY got channel 31 they were going a new antenna to fix that problem, but they never changed it out. That is the same antenna for analog channel 56 that they are using for channel 31.

If WDKY and WKYT co-shared a channel one would also also assume they would use the taller tower (WDKY) and get a new antenna too and to fix that void in Winchester.

Last edited by jb_ky1; 03-19-2017 at 06:15 PM.
jb_ky1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5372 of 5395 Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Or could be CBS on .1, Fox on .2, and CW on .3. That's my understanding of how it works.

First, don't forget we're still a long way from rolling out ATSC 3.0
Good to know! I am sure LEX18 will be the first in the market to roll out 4K programming one day down the road!
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5373 of 5395 Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Member
 
tripelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post
I seem to recall once WDKY got channel 31 they were going a new antenna to fix that problem, but they never changes it out. That is the same antenna for analog channel 56 that they are using for channel 31.
Yes, that is my recollection as well. Was unofficially informed, WDKY dropped the FCC approved Construction Permit mainly due to the upcoming auction.

Quote:
...If WDKY and WKYT co-shared a channel one would also also assume they would use the taller tower (WDKY) and get a new antenna too and to fix that void in Winchester.
JB_ky, guess while you were were replying, I added a comment to previous post (in italics):

However, don't know how the FCC handles antenna pattern coverage for a station that may now be co-owned by two entities (stations) that previously had different coverage areas.

.
tripelo is online now  
 
post #5374 of 5395 Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post
However, don't know how the FCC handles antenna pattern coverage for a station that may now be co-owned by two entities (stations) that previously had different coverage areas.

.
Gotcha. Guess we will all know the results very soon in a couple of weeks.

Yeah why waste money on a new antenna just to have it be replaced within a few years.
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5375 of 5395 Old 03-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Member
 
tripelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post
..Yeah why waste money on a new antenna just to have it be replaced within a few years.
Think you are referring to WDKY's decision not to upgrade their antenna and pattern.

Yes, that is one way of looking at it.

However, if WDKY planned on surviving the auction and repack, then seems they would be in a better position if they had upgraded. If I recall correctly, the CP would have allowed a non-directional antenna with much better coverage than they have had.

Since the FCC bases after-repack coverage on previous coverage, then WDKY would be in a better situation now.

At that time, it seemed that letting the valuable Construction Permit drop was a signal that Channel 31 might be up for sale in the auction.

.
tripelo is online now  
post #5376 of 5395 Old 03-20-2017, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WLEX or WTVQ could get channel 31 possibly. Thought if anyone did some channel sharing it would be those two since they are on the same tower. WLEX can't fit all of WTVQ's sub channels on there haha.
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5377 of 5395 Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Buzzr tv now live on wobz 9.1
stevekent09 is offline  
post #5378 of 5395 Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
sam_gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post
WLEX or WTVQ could get channel 31 possibly. Thought if anyone did some channel sharing it would be those two since they are on the same tower. WLEX can't fit all of WTVQ's sub channels on there haha.
WTVQ can't fit all of TVQ's subchannels.
sam_gordon is offline  
post #5379 of 5395 Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
WTVQ can't fit all of TVQ's subchannels.
Ha!! Fact. I keep looking for a 7th to show up some day.
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5380 of 5395 Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
GRIT TV now on Mountain Telephone channel 123
stevekent09 is offline  
post #5381 of 5395 Old 03-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do we learn the results on 4/1 or later than that?
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5382 of 5395 Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Member
 
tripelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post
Do we learn the results on 4/1 or later than that?
According to John Eggerton, it will be mid-April.

Quote:
...in mid-April, the commission will release a public notice identifying the winning bidders in both reverse and forward auctions. It will also publicly announce the new channels for TV stations being repacked ...
.
tripelo is online now  
post #5383 of 5395 Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
sam_gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FWIW, the NAB is pushing to delay until the beginning of May for the public notice. Mid April really isn't good as all of the vendors (transmitters, encoders, antennas, etc) are all getting set up for the NAB trade show in Vegas.
sam_gordon is offline  
post #5384 of 5395 Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
FWIW, the NAB is pushing to delay until the beginning of May for the public notice. Mid April really isn't good as all of the vendors (transmitters, encoders, antennas, etc) are all getting set up for the NAB trade show in Vegas.
Gotcha. I'll stay tuned!
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5385 of 5395 Old 04-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I've heard a RUMOR with absolutely no confirmation that DKY and KYT might be doing a channel sharing deal.
If they ended up doing this, would KYT kept their tower? I'd assume they would. They've got 2-3 FM's on it. 92.9. 96.5 Translator and a soon to be translator on 97.3.
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5386 of 5395 Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BenCJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Winchester
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post
Very interesting.
If WKYT sold channel 36, then apparently WDKY is primary on channel 19.

WDKY is essentially allowed to maintain it's existing coverage (+ or - small amount). Currently, WDKY has an inferior antenna pattern (directional lobed pattern to northwest, west & south) compared to WKYT . For example, a WDKY tech confirmed that the station has poor coverage in the Winchester direction.
.
I live in Winchester and never had a problem picking up WDKY, even when it was on VHF-4. If they go to UHF-19 I shouldn't have any problem there either. I originally bought my bowtie antenna in my attic to get WBKI (it tested most sensitive for channel 19 freq); and occasionally I could when weather had storms to the west in Louisville.. somehow acting like a deflector to fling more signal my way. I've not tried to pick up WBKI in years through when WKYT started carrying CW programming in HD
BenCJedi is offline  
post #5387 of 5395 Old 04-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post
I live in Winchester and never had a problem picking up WDKY, even when it was on VHF-4. If they go to UHF-19 I shouldn't have any problem there either. I originally bought my bowtie antenna in my attic to get WBKI (it tested most sensitive for channel 19 freq); and occasionally I could when weather had storms to the west in Louisville.. somehow acting like a deflector to fling more signal my way. I've not tried to pick up WBKI in years through when WKYT started carrying CW programming in HD
They could go back to SD when they go to channel 19. But not sure where WBKI will end up.
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5388 of 5395 Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BenCJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Winchester
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post
They could go back to SD when they go to channel 19. But not sure where WBKI will end up.
That would piss me off if CW went to SD (again). Would probably stay in HD on Spectrum Cable though, but OTA people would be SOL for terrestrial broadcast HD of CW. There's always the gray-area (stealing) method many colleagues and friends have been migrating to for high quality TV - Kodi w/ Exodus add-on. Admittedly I had to use it to watch Survivor from last Wednesday.. with tornado\storm havoc reporting on WKYT over Winchester on my DVR (Chris Bailey was having a field day) and used the whole hour and then some. Granted I could have died as the storm cell made a beeline right over my area.
BenCJedi is offline  
post #5389 of 5395 Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post
That would piss me off if CW went to SD (again). Would probably stay in HD on Spectrum Cable though, but OTA people would be SOL for terrestrial broadcast HD of CW. There's always the gray-area (stealing) method many colleagues and friends have been migrating to for high quality TV - Kodi w/ Exodus add-on. Admittedly I had to use it to watch Survivor from last Wednesday.. with tornado\storm havoc reporting on WKYT over Winchester on my DVR (Chris Bailey was having a field day) and used the whole hour and then some. Granted I could have died as the storm cell made a beeline right over my area.
Hopefully DKY/KYT won't be channel sharing.

Yeah I hope that doesn't happen. I don't have cable. I am really hoping YouTube TV picks up lexington locals including the CW in HD.
Those storms were crazy last week!!
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5390 of 5395 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WBKI to go off the air. Explains why WDKY is moving to channel 19.

Check out my TV design work!
https://jasonburnettky.wordpress.com
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5391 of 5395 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Via rabbit ears info.

Lexington TV stations:
WKYT 36 —> 21 724 kW
WTVQ 40 —> 27 487 kW
WLEX 39 —> 28 379 kW
WKLE 42 —> 35 40 kW
WUPX 21 —> 25 787 kW
WDKY 31 —> 19 765 kW

Check out my TV design work!
https://jasonburnettky.wordpress.com

Last edited by jb_ky1; Today at 05:02 AM.
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5392 of 5395 Old Today, 05:12 AM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like they all will be DA signals too?
WLEX seems to have the lower signal again but maybe they will be on top of the tower.

Check out my TV design work!
https://jasonburnettky.wordpress.com
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5393 of 5395 Old Today, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,458
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
The antenna patterns were kept the same on the new channels.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #5394 of 5395 Old Today, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
jb_ky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The antenna patterns were kept the same on the new channels.

- Trip
Oh yeah? Interning. I guess some of these stations won't have to get new antennas or equipment?

Check out my TV design work!
https://jasonburnettky.wordpress.com
jb_ky1 is online now  
post #5395 of 5395 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,458
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post
Oh yeah? Interning. I guess some of these stations won't have to get new antennas or equipment?
Depends on if the equipment is broadband or not. If it's single channel then it has to be changed anyway.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off