Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5254 Old 08-09-2004, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the current listing of areas that Dish will be allowed to show the Olympics in HD I found at Satelliteguys.us. Lexington isn't listed. NBC is still working on adding areas. Supposedly a final list will be out Wednesday night.
Cincy and Louisville are already on the list. Go figure.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...cs/index.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5254 Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Originally posted by nuts4scuba
Cincy and Louisville are already on the list. Go figure.

Well of course they would make it available in markets where the satellite/cable feed would be redundant ... makes perfect sense to me
post #543 of 5254 Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Odd rumblings on the UPN / WKYT / WBLU front ... In case you haven't noticed, it would appear that WKYT has managed to 'steal' the Lexington UPN affiliation away from WBLU-LP. WKYT has been airing the UPN schedule on a time delay for the past couple of weeks.

Barely founded speculation: Perhaps with the demise of the simulcast rule, we may see UPN on 13.2 at the regular time in the future ... stay tuned ... in the mean time, warm up your VCR's and TiVo's.

Quick update: The UPN website does indeed list WKYT-DT as the Lexington affiliate ... While I am pleased to finally be able to receive UPN, let's hope this doesn't mean yet another 480i sub-channel on top of .2 and .3
post #544 of 5254 Old 08-12-2004, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Odd rumblings on the UPN / WKYT / WBLU front ... In case you haven't noticed, it would appear that WKYT has managed to 'steal' the Lexington UPN affiliation away from WBLU-LP. WKYT has been airing the UPN schedule on a time delay for the past couple of weeks.

Barely founded speculation: Perhaps with the demise of the simulcast rule, we may see UPN on 13.2 at the regular time in the future ... stay tuned ... in the mean time, warm up your VCR's and TiVo's.

Quick update: The UPN website does indeed list WKYT-
DT as the Lexington affiliate ... While I am pleased to finally be able to receive UPN, let's hope this doesn't mean yet another 480i sub-channel on top of .2 and .3

They have a logo on their website with UPN Lexington WKYT-DT 13
Coming soon!. http://www.wkyt.com/

I hope this doesn't hurt their HD transmission. I like how they would show the HD football games last year, when they weren't on the SD channel.
post #545 of 5254 Old 08-12-2004, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by nuts4scuba
They have a logo on their website with UPN Lexington WKYT-DT 13
Coming soon!. http://www.wkyt.com/

I hope this doesn't hurt their HD transmission. I like how they would show the HD football games last year, when they weren't on the SD channel.

Ah ha! This explains why WKYT has changed their digital broadcast format from 1920X1080i 29.97fps to 1280X720p 59.94fps in the last weeks. I'm thinking they will be able to squeeze in UPN this way. Finally the UPN station will be watchable! Isn't Enterprise in HDTV? I'll be excited if they can show it this way. Hopefully the new format allows for full HD of the UPN shows and not the 480i HDTVChallenged spoke of.
post #546 of 5254 Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BenCJedi
Ah ha! This explains why WKYT has changed their digital broadcast format from 1920X1080i 29.97fps to 1280X720p 59.94fps in the last weeks. ...

Yep I was thinking the same. There's no way they'll be able to do two 720p subchannels and have a watchable result, thus, I doubt that Enterprise will be in HD anytime soon (but at least we can snipe at it like everyone else now ). Either way it looks like we can kiss all hope of full bandwidth primetime 1080i CBS HD good bye ... RIP
post #547 of 5254 Old 08-12-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:

When have they been showing UPN? I have not seen it. 13-2 I assume. Is it at random time? I what to take a look.
Thanks for the info!
post #548 of 5254 Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wellington
When have they been showing UPN? I have not seen it. 13-2 I assume. Is it at random time? I what to take a look.
Thanks for the info!

At the moment it starts at ~2:05am on the normal analog/digital simulcasts (that's why the VCR/TiVo is recomended.) It was kind of a stealth move, people with normal day/night hours probably would never have noticed. Anyway, the UPN stuff drops off of the published schedules starting Monday (8/16) - so it could be a good bet that new configuration may start then. I suspect that instead of the usual 480i CBS simulcast on 13-2, they will switch 13-2 over to UPN @ 480i. Pity the poor master switch operator with three seperate feeds to watch.
post #549 of 5254 Old 08-13-2004, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, the UPN stuff drops off of the published schedules starting Monday (8/16)

Ok, WKYT updated their schedule this morning and the UPN programming is still on the Late, Late, Latenight burner for the next couple of weeks ... what this means is anyone's guess ... stay tuned
post #550 of 5254 Old 08-13-2004, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just looking at Titantv.com and at 2:05am this Sunday, WKYT is showing Enterprise in HDTV!! It's on the primary subchannel as well as the secondary subchannel. I wonder if WKYT is going to show the popular UPN shows at 2:05am like this through the fall season. I wouldn't mind if they did it this way.. just as long as they did not broadcast HDTV shows in SD.
post #551 of 5254 Old 08-13-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just looking at Titantv.com and at 2:05am this Sunday, WKYT is showing Enterprise in HDTV!!

LOL ... trust me, it ain't gonna be in HD. FWIW, the D* program guide shows it as HD too, but it's not. Still, SD beats no-D any day.

Now, if WDKY were to pick up the WB feed, we'd be just like all 'dem fancy city folk
post #552 of 5254 Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL ... trust me, it ain't gonna be in HD. FWIW, the D* program guide shows it as HD too, but it's not. Still, SD beats no-D any day.

Now, if WDKY were to pick up the WB feed, we'd be just like all 'dem fancy city folk

I'm recording anyhow with my MyHD card. If it does indeed broadcast in HD, I'll be freaked! I've seen WKYT re-run episodes of CSI at HDTV res at crazy hours in the wee morning, so I remain hopeful.

I would LOVE for the WB to piggyback on a more reachable station here, but more importantly I would LOVE WDKY to point their antenna to Lexington and kick up the power, so those of us with limited housing/antenna mounting options could actually get the signal. If it were not on VHF, that'd be even better as I wouldn't need to buy a VHF antenna. How's that tower coming at Clays Ferry anyhow? If another station acquired WB for Lex, that would mean I could save $6/month off my Dish Network bill as I wouldn't need the superstations package anymore.. and dare I say it... if we could see Smallville in HDTV. I can still dream.. I don't think the WB station in Campbellsville even shows Smallville in HD.
post #553 of 5254 Old 08-13-2004, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well ... its official. Looks like no "authorized" NBC-HD in the Lexington DMA for the Olympics ... (as if I had dared hope for a small bone to be tossed our way.) Warm up those DX rigs ...
post #554 of 5254 Old 08-14-2004, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

HDTVChallenged was right! Enterprise was not in HDTV this morning on WKYT. Don't ya just hate when guides lie to ya? It would be nice if they could do the UPN shows that are in HD shown in HD.
post #555 of 5254 Old 08-14-2004, 06:59 AM

Guys,

They will be going to UPN programming on their 13-2 Digital Channel on 8-16 and we will be picking it up at Insight and converting it to Analog to put on Channel 5 on September 1st. It will be replacing WBLU, which lost the UPN programming last month. Actually very smart on WKYT's part and really good for the community to get the programming back. Our phone's have been lit up...

Winston
post #556 of 5254 Old 08-14-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDTVChallenged was right!

LOL ... it happens at least once or twice a decade

Winston,

Thanks for the WKYT/UPN confirmation ...
post #557 of 5254 Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting:

Both analog and digital signals went off the air last night (8/15-16) ... analog back on this morning - digital still down.

Could they be:

a) Firing up the new analog xmitter?
b) Upgrading "master control" for 720p/Fox HD?
c) Just fixing a power problem?

Speculate away ....
post #558 of 5254 Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know which transmitting antenna they intend to use? They have a construction permit for one which is 36kw and away from Danville (and Corbin) as well as an *application* for one which is 26kw and would more likely cover Danville (and Corbin). Here's the link so you can look at it yourself: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WDKY

The first one would be strange for them to use IMO as it would appear someone in Danville would have a very difficult time receiving the signal.
If this is old news I apologize but please someone educate me.
post #559 of 5254 Old 08-16-2004, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cpcat
*application* for one which is 26kw and would more likely cover Danville (and Corbin).

This is the one that will be ... it is co-located with the new analog plant at Clay's Ferry ... the older CP for 36kW expired/was cancelled.

I don't know exactly how the math works out, but the new 26kW station may not improve things much for Danville folks ... Gonna have twice as much power their direction, but the tower will be twice the distance away ... time will tell.
post #560 of 5254 Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is the one that will be ... it is co-located with the new analog plant at Clay's Ferry

Cool. I may even have a shot at it. I've recently been playing around with my horizontal stack of Televes DAT 75's in using them for vhf (that's right, vhf). I can get a steady signal from WYMT ch 12 Hazard but it's through the *back* of the stack i.e. 180 degrees off-axis. I was even able to pick up WKYT the other night but only briefly, again through the back. WDKY's digital signal seems to be best 90 degrees off axis (no picture though) and it's similar with other analog low uhf's like WETP ch. 2 Sneedville and WCYB ch. 5 Bristol.
Hopefully, I'll be in business when they increase power from the new location. I'd rather not get one of those monster low band vhf antennas if I can avoid it.
post #561 of 5254 Old 08-16-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cpcat
I can get a steady signal from WYMT ch 12 Hazard...

Hopefully, I'll be in business when they increase power from the new location. I'd rather not get one of those monster low band vhf antennas if I can avoid it.

Here's a link to a chart of frequency spectrum allocations... Note that the VHF spectrum is broken up into three bands, two of these bands are allocated for TV channels. One TV band is for channels 2-6 (designated as Low Band VHF), and the other TV band is for channels 7-13 (designated as High Band VHF). Between these two bands of TV VHF channels are your FM radio frequencies (designated Mid Band VHF). Note that the UHF spectrum begins close to where the VHF High Band ends... A UHF only antenna can pickup the High Band VHF signals although at some attenuation (better on the upper range between channels 10-13, than from 7-10). So receiving WDKY-DT on Channel 4 with your UHF only setup will be wishful thinking...

http://www.adec.edu/tag/spectrum.html

On another note, I've been able to receive excellent OTA signal reception from L'ville NBC all weekend with Olympic coverage. I'm guessing they've upped their power some because I've never been able to hang onto them for the entire day before. Usually my best luck is in the evening with the aid of some Tropo enhancement.
post #562 of 5254 Old 08-16-2004, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So receiving WDKY-DT on Channel 4 with your UHF only setup will be wishful thinking...

That's a great link. I added that one to my favorite's list.
You may be right, but as I said I'm doing o.k. on analog ch. 2 from 65 mi and ch 5 from 110 mi so for now I'll continue to wish and think at the same time.

I've gotten WAVE during tropo but never otherwise. I'll have to check it again, though.
post #563 of 5254 Old 08-18-2004, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Today, Aug 18, 2004, is the 1030th day since WLEX submitted their original digital TV application ... it (apparently) *STILL* has not been approved ...

This is your FCC hard at work folks.

PS: No apparent changes on the WDKY front either
post #564 of 5254 Old 08-18-2004, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting:

Both analog and digital signals went off the air last night (8/15-16) ... analog back on this morning - digital still down.

Could they be:

a) Firing up the new analog xmitter?
b) Upgrading "master control" for 720p/Fox HD?
c) Just fixing a power problem?

Speculate away ....

They were working on the tower lights at the top of the tower.

WUKY was on their low power backup site most of the night.
post #565 of 5254 Old 08-18-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by William Smith
They were working on the tower lights at the top of the tower.

WUKY was on their low power backup site most of the night.

Yeah ... I came to the conclusion that it was just some routine maintainence ... no 720p sightings yet, but the digital signal strength here at the cave is back up a few notches.
post #566 of 5254 Old 08-19-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ragamuffin

http://www.adec.edu/tag/spectrum.html

On another note, I've been able to receive excellent OTA signal reception from L'ville NBC all weekend with Olympic coverage. I'm guessing they've upped their power some because I've never been able to hang onto them for the entire day before. Usually my best luck is in the evening with the aid of some Tropo enhancement.

I concur. I live near Armstrong Mill on the outer part of Man O War and I've never been able to get L'ville NBC digital ch 47 at all.. until tonight (~9pm)! I stole a Channel Master 4221, temporarily duct taped it on my single story roof, coupled it with the Motorola signal booster (on sale at Circuit City for 49 bucks after mail in rebate) and -BAM- I'm locked in at 49% to 58% according to myHD. If I remove the amp I still get 25% (min to lock) to 32% with an excellent picture and very infrequent glitching- yeah L'Ville NBC! Now if WLEX would get their act together I wouldn't have to figure out a way to make the antenna stay up there a bit more permanently...
post #567 of 5254 Old 08-19-2004, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rob_fox
I concur. I live near Armstrong Mill on the outer part of Man O War and I've never been able to get L'ville NBC digital ch 47 at all.. until tonight (~9pm)! I stole a Channel Master 4221, temporarily duct taped it on my single story roof, coupled it with the Motorola signal booster (on sale at Circuit City for 49 bucks after mail in rebate) and -BAM- I'm locked in at 49% to 58% according to myHD. If I remove the amp I still get 25% (min to lock) to 32% with an excellent picture and very infrequent glitching- yeah L'Ville NBC! Now if WLEX would get their act together I wouldn't have to figure out a way to make the antenna stay up there a bit more permanently...

Thanks for your post. Now I know what to save some money to buy.. a Channel Master 4228 (the bigger one, as I need to mount it in the attic in my townhome (~7' tall clearance) along with the Motorola signal booster you speak of (is a signal booster the same as a preamp?). I guess I need a VHF antenna sometime for WDKY as it looks like that is way low on the spectrum (ch 4) and not a chance in hell a UHF antenna is going to pick that up. I can wait on that though as FOX here isn't using the widescreen digital as I had hoped for those sitcoms like Malcolm in the Middle as they prominantly display (Fox Digital Widescreen where available). That and after that tower is done maybe Lexingtonians will have a better chance at the signal.

Anyone know if anything has changed at the Cambellsville WB station WBKI (ch 34)? Last I heard they were a shoe-string operation and not actually broadcasting in HD, but in SD. I sure would like to see Smallville in HDTV in Lexington. Is this still an impossibility?

Since WKYT is picking up UPN here, I can nearly remove the Superstations package from my Dish account as long as I can get that WB station. If there's a chance I could pick it up digital OTA, I may just buy a good, solid UHF antenna (like the CH 4228) and drop the package subscription from my account (will save me about $72/year.. which is what the antenna would cost thereabouts anyhow).
post #568 of 5254 Old 08-20-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know if anything has changed at the Cambellsville WB station WBKI (ch 34)? Last I heard they were a shoe-string operation and not actually broadcasting in HD, but in SD. I sure would like to see Smallville in HDTV in Lexington. Is this still an impossibility?

Digital is still running at ~5.5kW ERP, I'm probably a good 15-20 miles closer than you and have never really gotten a decodeable signal, but then again, the analog signal shows severe multipath here at the cave.

OTOH, reports are that HDNet is going to pick up "Smallville" (starting with season 1) which is good for those of us who've never seen the show.

PS: Looks like KET squashed the DD5.1 bug on KET4, "Soundstage" sounded great last night.
post #569 of 5254 Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if that got it..
post #570 of 5254 Old 08-20-2004, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by William Smith
I was wondering if that got it..

Yep .. confirmed from the E-town, Louisville, and Richmond transmitters.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page