Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5251 Old 08-13-2002, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Well they must have found the right switch - WTVQ audio came back around 9:30ish. I wish they stop doing things like this .... makes me paranoid after my first STB failed

djohn

Yep - WKYT has been running fine on 8/13. They added a couple of subchannels this afternoon, one for a standard def feed and another to display their weather radar picture. So you might want to try a rescan to pick up the new subchannels. And they nixed the bug logo tonight.

HDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5251 Old 08-17-2002, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Dateline: 8/17/02

WTVQ-DT started High Definition broadcasts tonight! The Big Picture Show (Speed 2) was broadcast in HD OAR 5.1. YeeeeeeHaaaaaaa!

HDC
post #33 of 5251 Old 08-26-2002, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious if anyone else was disappointed in the lack of HD this past Sunday evening? Did our local CBS and ABC affiliates forget to throw a switch to feed the network HD signal into their transmitters?
post #34 of 5251 Old 08-26-2002, 11:47 AM

As someone just starting to delve into HDTV availability , are these new ????-DT channels just broadcasting HDTV signal? I see nothing on channels 59, 40, etc. Thanks in advance.
post #35 of 5251 Old 08-26-2002, 12:10 PM

kymikes,

The KET/PBS network was the first to transmit DTV in the Lexington area... I can pick up Richmond within New Circle Road on DT-42 (WKLE). They are multicasting on 42.1, 42.2, 42.3, and 42.4. All of these are currently in SD mode. They were sending an ED signal before July 1st on 42.4... They should be back up September 1st with hopefully an HD signal!

ABC WTVQ-DT on DT-40 was next in the spring of this year... However they didn't start passing thru network HD until just a couple of weeks ago... I should clarify that they are sending a continuous 720p signal, however it appears that they are sourcing an NTSC quality source a large percentage of the time.

CBS WKYT-DT on DT-13 (the FCC still has them on 59... but the info is stale in the FCC database). They're multicasting on 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3. They were the first to pass HD content OTA in Lexington in the early August timeframe. (and as stated above for ABC, CBS is always sending a 1080i signal, although the source isn't HD most of the time). WKYT has a link on their web site with more info... http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=852691

With an appropriate setup, you can DX DT in from Cinci and other places when tropo conditions are optimal.

There is also an interesting thread in regard to local cable jumping on the HD side of the fence...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=Lexington

...this is probably obvious... but maybe not... you'll need an ATSC compliant tuner to tune in these DT stations... you won't be able to tune in these stations on your old analog NTSC TV tuner...
post #36 of 5251 Old 08-26-2002, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
KET won't have HD by Sept.1.
post #37 of 5251 Old 08-26-2002, 06:12 PM

Quote:

William Smith writes... "KET won't have HD by Sept.1."

William, can you shed any light on what we can expect in the September timeframe from KET/PBS? Is there an HD future in store or return to the ED format seen previously?

The previous ED loops were awesome... I was hoping that we would be able to see them in HD!
post #38 of 5251 Old 08-27-2002, 08:02 AM

Ragamuffin,
Sounds like you have been through the introduction in this area. Perhaps you could give me some time saving recommendations. I am in the East side of Woodford county. I have been viewing primarily on DirecTV sat. without any external OTA antenna for locals (marginal reception). At the end of last year, I upgraded to a Pioneer SD-533HD5 Projection TV connected to a Pioneer VSX-D608 Reciever. I also have a DTIVO and progessive scan DVD player. Improving OTA seems like the next reasonable step. Cable options in my area appear very limited (Aldelphia who is in bankrupcy proceedings). I think I have a "good" foundation but was waiting for local conditions to stabilize before taking another step. From prior history with local NTSC channels, I think I need a "good" external antenna and was starting to review HD recievers. I don't think I will be trying to pull in Cinn. or Louisville channels so I am not going for "maxed" antenna system. With KYT on 13, it sounds like a large multidirectional UHF/VHF antenna might work. I have looked at the CEA antenna site and most channels will be from E to S of me. Many recommendations suggest separate UHF and VHF antenna. Do you have any suggestions/ recommendations? Thanks in advance.
post #39 of 5251 Old 08-27-2002, 09:37 AM

kymikes, check your e:mail...
post #40 of 5251 Old 08-27-2002, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

KET is still working on the system upgrades at this time. I can't go into anything else right now.
post #41 of 5251 Old 08-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Or we will shoot him :-)

Studio Broadcast Engineer
KET
post #42 of 5251 Old 09-02-2002, 05:46 PM

Can anyone shed any light on why CBS WKYT-DT doesn't seem to switch to HD in a timely manner when HD is available for a particular show? (Sunday night it took over an hour for somebody to find the switch... Tonight, Monday, we're 45 minutes into prime time HD with it still being upconverted and displayed with gray bars on my set...)

I understand why the US Open tennis coverage was SD most of the weekend because of the rain delays on Sunday and Monday (Saturday's US Open coverage was eye popping to this newbie!!!). But I don't understand why the prime time shows are still running upconverted as much as I've seen the past few days.

Is somebody asleep at the wheel? Is this a national network feed issue, or a local switching issue?

It's really a bummer when I have someone over to introduce them to HD... and have to back pedal when the switch doesn't occur.

I expect some burps as we transition to this new technology... but this doesn't seem to me to be a technical hurdle? Can someone help me understand this issue better?
post #43 of 5251 Old 09-02-2002, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ragamuffin
Is somebody asleep at the wheel? Is this a national network feed issue, or a local switching issue?

Not sure ... I think it may be a feed problem ... There was one night last week where they switched but all CBS was sending was ye ol' color bar chart... I'd bet this will all get straightened out once the fall season gets underway.

One the bright side ... WTVQ seems to have gotten their act together

HDC
post #44 of 5251 Old 09-05-2002, 06:31 PM

Is anyone else seeing a single pixel GREEN vertical line at the far extreme right of the image on WTVQ-DT when they broadcast in HD?
post #45 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 04:14 PM

I just recently got hooked up for my OTA HDTV and I can receive WKYT (Ch. 13) just fine (actually very good). However, I have not been able to pick up WTVQ at all on Ch. 40. Antennaweb.org show WKTY's location to be 339 deg. while WTVQ is at 340 deg. Should I have to reposition my antenna for this small amount? Or is there something else going on?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #46 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 06:36 PM

pjohnscpa

The WKYT and WTVQ towers are just a few hundred yards apart from each other in the vicinity of where Winchester road meets Man-O-War.

You don't mention where you are located, but in general, if you're getting a good signal from one, you should be getting a good signal from the other too. The 339/340 vectors you mention from antennaweb would put you south and slightly east of the towers, but what is your distance in miles?

You also don't mention what type of tuner/antenna combination you are using. WKYT-DT on Channel 13 is a VHF channel, while WTVQ-DT is on Channel 40 which is a UHF channel. Ideally you'll need a combination UHF/VHF antenna to get them both. I've had success with a UHF only yagi though.

One other problem you might be having is a lot of multipath in your UHF reception which may be degrading your channel 40 reception. A directional antenna will work better than a multi-directional antenna if multipath is a problem.

Can you pick up KET on DT-42?

Sounds like you're set for the ballgame tomorrow on DT-13 though! Go Cats!!!
post #47 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 07:12 PM

Is anybody else seeing noise bursts in the WKYT-DT feed tonight? During Hack and currently during the RobberyHomicideDivision I'm seeing short loss of signal every 15-20 seconds (randomly) which causes a video pixelation breakup to occur and a dropout in audio for a split second... And then the signal immediately syncs back up.

I just overhauled my PC with HiPix card this evening in preparation to record the football game tomorrow in HD. My WTVQ-DT/ABC reception of ThatWasThen was flawless. I recorded about 30 minutes without a single problem.

I was nervous that my HiPix was burping, but I think its OK. I called a buddy of mine who has a Samsung 150 STB across town and while on the phone, we both saw the same interrupts simultaneously.

I've read elsewhere on the forum that the local stations sometimes have trouble locking on the network feed... I wonder if all this rain has something to do with this? I sure hope this gets resolved before the football game on Saturday!!!

I reckon that we'll see if things clear up when they start the local news with the gray bars. If it goes away then, then I guess it's the network feed, if it stays... then maybe there's a problem with local transmission...

Is there anyone from WKYT out there listening? If so, can you shed any light on this?
post #48 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 07:58 PM

ragamuffin I am located in Richmond, KY just off I-75. So I am only about 20 miles or so from the towers.

I just bought a Channelmaster 4221 (4bay) and although it is UHF only, I pick up WKYT-DT very well! I knew I was taking a chance on that (UHF only) but evidently it paid off. I did not want to buy a dual purpose if WKYT was going to be the only VHF station.

I still cannot pick up anything on CH. 40.1 or 42.1????? I mean I get "no signal"!

Yes, the game is the main reason I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the new Sony HD200 Thursday. GO CATS!!!!!!

Also, my signal was doing the same thing you mentioned about "pixelation" tonight. Not bad, but just ever so slightly.

Do you think I should try an amplifier? Please help! I would really like to pick up both ABC and KET!
post #49 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[b]Is anybody else seeing noise bursts in the WKYT-DT feed tonight? During Hack and currently during the RobberyHomicideDivision I'm seeing short loss of signal every 15-20 seconds (randomly) which causes a video pixelation breakup to occur and a dropout in audio for a split second... And then the signal immediately syncs back up.
/B]

Yep - I was getting some signal strength flux as well. TVQ and KET are pegging the meter tonight so we may be getting more multipath than normal.

My main problem now is that the folks at D* finally got WKYTDT loaded into their program guide database but they got the channel remapping wrong - it goes back to the analog channel (grrrrrr).

HDC
post #50 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 08:54 PM

pjohnscpa

I would think you'd be OK at 20 miles... the 4221 and it's mate the 4228 (8-bay) are very directional antennas.

How high up is your antenna? The higher the better. Are there buildings or other things close by that can reflect signals towards your antenna? Are you inside the attic, or outside above your roof line?

One thing you can try is to use the 4221 and feed it into a conventional analog TV and tune in the analogs 27 and 36. If you're seeing a good clean non-ghosting picture on 36, then 40 should be clean as well. You can use the analog picture to precisely point the 4221 towards the WTVQ tower.

If you don't get a good clean analog signal, then I'm not sure an amplifier will help you out... but it might. Just be aware that too much signal can be a bad thing as well.

You didn't mention how you're feeding your antenna into your receiver? A single RG-6 quad shield cable is ideal. Try to keep your length minimal (ideally less than 100 feet). For your initial testing, make sure there are no splitters, combiners, or diplexers in the line. Run the antenna feed straight into the receiver.

What kind of receiver do you have? What kind of "signal" do you get for 13? (gimme a scale of some kind... on a 1-10 is it a 10?)
post #51 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 08:58 PM

HDTVChallenged

Thanks for the feedback on the bad CBS signal tonight. I'll sleep better knowing the problem is not on my end. I sure hope this is cleared up by tomorrow. Maybe we're getting some tropo interference?

I'm still seeing glitches during Letterman tonight (with gray bars). I'm assuming that this is locally sourced HD? Maybe not...
post #52 of 5251 Old 09-27-2002, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDTVChallenged
Maybe we're getting some tropo interference?

I'm still seeing glitches during Letterman tonight (with gray bars). I'm assuming that this is locally sourced HD? Maybe not...

Could be a waterlogged antenna too .... or possibly interference from channel 12 in Cincy.

All of the gray bar stuff is just their normal SD analog feeds upconverted to 1080i at the station.

HDC
post #53 of 5251 Old 09-28-2002, 10:58 AM

My antenna is currently outside mounted on the deck obviously not above the roof line. There are no buildings, trees, etc. that should block my reception. I am using the new Sony HD200 receiver, running about 85 feet of RG-6 with no splitters, etc.

My signal from Ch. 13 is probably 6-8 according to the reading I get from the HD200, but it is crystal clear.

However, none of the analog stations (18,27,36,46,56) come in very clear on my Sony 57HW40. Do I need to test the analogs on a standard "old" television?

Oddly enough, when I first hooked everything up I had the 4221 just sitting in my basement and Ch. 13 came in just as good as it does now outside on the deck. Go figure??

Is there any equipment that will give me a reading coming from WTVQ's towers as to better pinpoint signal that way?

Thanks a ton for your suggestions and help!!
post #54 of 5251 Old 09-28-2002, 11:34 AM

pjohnscpa

Height is king in the antenna world... If you can get some more height, and the analogs improve, then your digitals should be improved as well.

WKYT-DT is so strong here in Lexington, my signal meter is pegging out at 10 out of 10. WTVQ-TV is slightly lower than this, maybe a 9.5 on a 10 scale.

Any old analog TV will work... new or old.

I'm assuming you have a 300-to-75 transformer from your antenna to your RG-6? If so, it possible for these to sometimes be faulty out of the box... If you have a spare, you might try a swap.

And this might be obvious... but make sure the appropriate antenna input is selected on your receiver... my TV has 3 "F" connector inputs and it can be confusing...
post #55 of 5251 Old 09-28-2002, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

With digital you will not see the direct effects of signal strength, unless you are at the ragged edge of the coverage area.

KET's signal is on UHF 42 but remaps to 46-1 through 46-4.

As you live in Richmond you should have no trouble as WKLE's tower is at Clays Ferry and in the general direction of the WKYT and WTVQ transmitters.

As for the Sony receiver, I have heard of some anomalies with its handling of PSIP issues, but in our present configuration it shouldn't be a problem.

William Smith
KET Special Projects Engineer
post #56 of 5251 Old 09-30-2002, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Is there any equipment that will give me a reading coming from WTVQ's towers as to better pinpoint signal that way?

If you have access to a GPS, you can get your own coordinates and the coordinates of the WKYT and WTVQ towers from http://100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/KY.html. You can then get a precise heading towards the towers.

If you don't want to mess with the math, pick up an Excel spreadsheet from http://www.dxfm.com. The spreadsheets are located on the main page, right-hand frame, down near the bottom of the page. Get the DTV spreadsheet. Plug in your GPS coordinates, and it will give you a precise vector to the towers.

http://www.antennaweb.org is supposed to do this as well, and it appears from earlier in this thread that you've been there and done that... but if you live on a really long street, it's possible for antennaweb.org to give you a vector that may be slightly off... but I would think it would be close enough for the 20 mile range you are in.
post #57 of 5251 Old 09-30-2002, 10:28 AM

The KY-FL game on Saturday was giving me constant picture breakup and audio dropouts on WKYT. Did anyone else see this? I was getting signal strength of 93-100 on my Hughes E86.

The SD signal on 36 looked OK (at around a 60 signal strength)...

Ryan
post #58 of 5251 Old 09-30-2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:
constant picture breakup and audio dropouts on WKYT

I noticed this anomoly on Friday evening during HACK. It continued all day Saturday (during the game) and Sunday (during MI2).

I think the problem is local to WKYT because nobody else is reporting the problem nationally. I've heard from Cinci people that WKRC-DT was perfect. I'm guessing something burped due to all the rain?

I sent an e:mail to WKYT but have not heard a reply... We'll see if anything got "fixed" today when I peek again tonight.
post #59 of 5251 Old 09-30-2002, 01:02 PM

Thanks -- good to know I don't have to be paranoid about it being my problem...

Ryan
post #60 of 5251 Old 09-30-2002, 08:47 PM

ragamuffin,
Thanks for your input.

I raised my antenna tonight a measly 10' and bingo--I had WTVQ and KET!! Just for good measure I put in a pre-amp and pulled my signal for all three lex. stations to very good! Except WTVQ is only in 4:3 even though it comes up as HD? Is that normal for TVQ?

Now all I need is to figure out the best way to ground the antenna before Wed. when storms are supposed to roll in!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page