Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5270 Old 09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 172
WDKY is now broadcasting 720p!!!!!!!! (I presume)

The Simpson's is upconverted w/ graybars even as I type!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5270 Old 09-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
WDKY is now broadcasting 720p!!!!!!!! (I presume)

The Simpson's is upconverted w/ graybars even as I type!

Have they bumped up their power?
post #633 of 5270 Old 09-23-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nuts4scuba
Have they bumped up their power?

Whew! Had to pinch myself a few times there ....

Anyway, doesn't look like the power up yet ... I'm still getting the same signal strength/quality as before (~72%.) It doesn't look like anything is in HD on FOX tonight either. At minimum, it looks they're ready for the splicer team install team now (if that hasn't already occured.) Stay tuned ...
post #634 of 5270 Old 09-23-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like FOX HD splicer feed is up on WDKY .... break out those lowband antennas ....

Edit: Really, I'm not kidding folks ... big blue FOX logo and DD5.1, although the all the programming appeared to be upconverts from the network. I guess we'll know for sure on Sunday.
post #635 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Looks like FOX HD splicer feed is up on WDKY .... break out those lowband antennas ....

Edit: Really, I'm not kidding folks ... big blue FOX logo and DD5.1, although the all the programming appeared to be upconverts from the network. I guess we'll know for sure on Sunday.

So they're at the new tower? They were able to get the steel? Or have they just used the new equiptment at the old location? I don't have a VHF antenna to try to get it. I didn't expect to need one for a long time. Hmmm
post #636 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BenCJedi
So they're at the new tower?

Don't know, but I don't think so. We need you Northerner's to check with a pair of rabbit ears or something as I doubt that I will see a big change in signal strength here at the cave.

I think transmitter/tower has always been 'remote' from the studios/master-control, so I think it's entirely possible that they could get the HD/splicer "guts" upgraded before the new tower is online.
post #637 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't know, but I don't think so. We need you Northerner's to check with a pair of rabbit ears or something as I doubt that I will see a big change in signal strength here at the cave.

I think transmitter/tower has always been 'remote' from the studios/master-control, so I think it's entirely possible that they could get the HD/splicer "guts" upgraded before the new tower is online.

Old tower!

Hooked in an OK UHF/VHF TV set top antenna and not a blip for ch 4 on my MyHD which has one of the most sensitive tuners. I guess I will be waiting for the new tower and more favorable radiation pattern. Good to know they have the splicer and all that jazz. I need to buy a VHF antenna for either the attic or the outside. Do VHF antennas generally come with foldout elements, so I could fit it through the portal into the ceiling? To avoid commotion I may just try it inside. The sucky part is I will need to buy an antenna JUST for WDKY as it is the only VHF channel, right? I should probably wait until we're 100% sure the new tower is operating, so I purchase the antenna with the best chance of getting ch 4.
post #638 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.... I need to buy a VHF antenna for either the attic or the outside. Do VHF antennas generally come with foldout elements, so I could fit it through the portal into the ceiling? ....

Yep, almost all the common combos use a foldout design these days ... However, I would think that a pair of rabbit ears would suffice once the new tower is up ... so keep your set top handy ... just make sure you extend the "ears" nearly all the way (about 93" tip to tip is optimal for ch 4)
post #639 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, almost all the common combos use a foldout design these days ... However, I would think that a pair of rabbit ears would suffice once the new tower is up ... so keep your set top handy ... just make sure you extend the "ears" nearly all the way (about 93" tip to tip is optimal for ch 4)

Good point! I hadn't considered that with the new tower the set top rabbit ears might be just enough (they are not attached to the TV.. one of those base unit antennas that can be set on the TV or off to the side). Looks like this without the amplification:

Is it possible to get some sort of mixer device I can use with the current UHF antenna and the set top one to strip out the UHF signal on the set top antenna, but allow only the VHF? I'd like to combine them, but before the signal enters the amp that the UHF antenna is currently plugged into. I could probably crack the set top antenna open and disconnect the wires from the middle circle piece (as I believe that is for the UHF) and have VHF-only, but I need some sort of mixer to get it working with the UHF antenna in the attic.
post #640 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Is it possible to get some sort of mixer device I can use with the current UHF antenna and the set top one to strip out the UHF signal on the set top antenna, but allow only the VHF?

My CM-7777 pre-amp has separate UHF and VHF inputs that can be fed separately and then in turn are combined, amplified, and then provided on a single output for my receiver. You'll possibly need to add an attenuator for the locals if you went this route...

http://www.solidsignal.com/tech_help_CM777X.asp
post #641 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Perhaps of some help --- I Noticed that FCC has recently added predicted coverage area maps to their TV query site.

This one shows predicted coverage area(28dbu contour is used for lo-VHF) for WDKY-DT's current, STA facilities :

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DS618151.html

This one shows predicted coverage area for WDKY-DT's current CP App (26.4KW ERP@1072FT HAAT) for the new Clay's ferry location :

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT702393.html

I can't recall the exact specifics FCC uses for the receiving end concerning what should, generally work on the "Fringe" of the coverage area(not counting terrain issues, or interference issues)-- If I recall, I think it involves an antenna(with 10dbi or 10dbd of gain perhaps, or is it a reference dipole with no real gain?) mounted(outdoors of course) 30FT above ground level at the receiving location.

For the most part, the maps look a tad "optimistic" to me(especially say if you're NE/N or NW of WDKY-DT's current Facilities), but perhaps that is a GOOD thing since I think this is(28dbu contour for VHF-lo, 41dbu contour for UHF) the commision is using to define service area, which has direct implications concerning interference protection ....

Jeff
post #642 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ragamuffin
My CM-7777 pre-amp has separate UHF and VHF inputs that can be fed separately and then in turn are combined, amplified, and then provided on a single output for my receiver. You'll possibly need to add an attenuator for the locals if you went this route...

http://www.solidsignal.com/tech_help_CM777X.asp

Thanks! That sounds like what I need, given that my current device used for amplification is this:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...SKU=33-290&N=4
I'm told the noise figures are not good on it:
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...ml/33-290.html

But without this, I cannot even pick up WTVQ-DT. The Channel Master 7777 from the little I have googled is THE pre-amp to get. So the UHF/VHF/FM amplifier I am using now is different than the pre-amp. I have it very close to the antenna with the cable coming off that downstairs, so I guess I am using it like a pre-amp, right? I'll take it out of the equation if I get a CM7777. The going rate for the CM7777 is $50. Is it about that price locally?
post #643 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
Perhaps of some help --- I Noticed that FCC has recently added predicted coverage area maps to their TV query site.

Cool find ... Shows just how ridiculous the artificial DMA bounderies really are.
post #644 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool find ... Shows just how ridiculous the artificial DMA bounderies really are.

I like that second map much better. Hope WDKY can make that a reality soon.
post #645 of 5270 Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But without this, I cannot even pick up WTVQ-DT.

Ugh! ... if you're having trouble with WTVQ, then you probably have your antenna in the wrong place. That having been said, yes the CM7777 is a good choice and $50 is a good price, although I don't know of any local BandM stores that carry them.
post #646 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ugh! ... if you're having trouble with WTVQ, then you probably have your antenna in the wrong place. That having been said, yes the CM7777 is a good choice and $50 is a good price, although I don't know of any local BandM stores that carry them.

Yeah, but I have much limited option. I get around 78% signal with that amp which is cool enough for the card to lock on. I get about the same with the PBS station and around 87-100% with WKYT with this arrangement. I'm going to call that electronics place on Skain Ave that the channelmaster website had on its dealer locator and ask if they sell CM7777. It seems everyone charges $10 shipping online that nullifies the savings.
post #647 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but I have much limited option. I get around 78% signal with that amp which is cool enough for the card to lock on. I get about the same with the PBS station and around 87-100% with WKYT with this arrangement. I'm going to call that electronics place on Skain Ave that the channelmaster website had on its dealer locator and ask if they sell CM7777. It seems everyone charges $10 shipping online that nullifies the savings.

I called them last week. They don't have it, but they can order it .
post #648 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called them last week. They don't have it, but they can order it .

Did you ask how much they are charging for it?
post #649 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Did you ask how much they are charging for it?

Sorry, no I didn't.
post #650 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Well any doubts in my mind that WDKY didn't get the splicer installed have just been erased. MLB pre-game show is up in glorious FOX WS upconvert ... NFL fans start yer salivating

Yes ... it appears that WDKY-DT is now finally worth your valueble time and effort to reel in. If this keeps up, I may have to change my handle.
post #651 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Well any doubts in my mind that WDKY didn't get the splicer installed have just been erased. MLB pre-game show is up in glorious FOX WS upconvert ... NFL fans start yer salivating

Yes ... it appears that WDKY-DT is now finally worth your valueble time and effort to reel in. If this keeps up, I may have to change my handle.

you're killing me HDC... that means MLB World Series in HD on Fox! If they don't up the power, do you have any extra room on your couch?
post #652 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah HDC! You're making the majority of Lexington pissed/jealous.

Can we donate steel to WDKY to build that new tower? I have some stainless steel flatware I'd give them if it helps.
What are places like King's Island doing with China taking all the steel? I guess they build wooden coasters instead? All I'm asking for is one stinking tower, so we can enjoy digital FOX out here.

Anyone live close to the construction site? I'd personally like a webcam serving pictures at least once a day, so I could spy on the progress (or lack thereof).
post #653 of 5270 Old 09-25-2004, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah HDC! You're making the majority of Lexington pissed/jealous.

Well don't get too upset, there's still the low power and low-VHF band issues to deal with. For me, WDKY will come in fine for hours at a stretch, then for no apparent reason go through 10-15mins of complete breakup even with 93-100% on the meter - very frustrating.
post #654 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 11:19 AM

Called WDKY this afternoon and talked to their engineer. He said that the steel has arrived for the antenna and the crew said it would be 6-8 weeks for it to be completed. He said that they would then need to move their equipment to transmit to Lexington. He told me their goal was to be completed by the Super Bowl. They could be up earlier, but not by the World Series.
post #655 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Called WDKY this afternoon and talked to their engineer. He said that the steel has arrived for the antenna and the crew said it would be 6-8 weeks for it to be completed. He said that they would then need to move their equipment to transmit to Lexington. He told me their goal was to be completed by the Super Bowl. They could be up earlier, but not by the World Series.

AWESOME! Strangely I had a dream last night that WDKY-DT was online today (in Lexington) -- I just needed to try to tune it in (which I did in my dream) and I was surprised (in my dream) that no one posted here because it was so easy to pick up in Lexington. So I come on here and see your post. Of all things to dream about... picking up a digital TV signal from WDKY in Lexington - LOL!

6-8 weeks shouldn't be too long of a wait.... at least I won't miss too much of the OC (in HD?) since it does not start the new season until November.

Why is WLEX going to take much longer? They don't need to build a new tower, they already have the equiptment and I thought they were just going to rent space on the same tower WTVQ is using. Does it have to do with their permit to broadcast?
post #656 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:

6-8 weeks shouldn't be too long of a wait.... at least I won't miss too much of the OC (in HD?) since it does not start the new season until November.

Why is WLEX going to take much longer? They don't need to build a new tower, they already have the equiptment and I thought they were just going to rent space on the same tower WTVQ is using. Does it have to do with their permit to broadcast?

The 6-8 weeks is the guess on the tower being built. He said they would have to move their equipment once it was completed, so it will probably be longer than that. He said weather could be a factor too.

WLEX finally got the construction permit and ordered their equipment. WLEX's engineer said it would take 6 months to get the equipment in. He
is saying it will be the 2nd quarter of next year before they transmit.
Personally, I think the parent company dropped the ball on this. They have had some of the same problems getting their permit at other stations they own.
post #657 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 04:08 PM

I'm in Richmond, Ky and used to be able to get a strong signal for 27 on my antenna. Since it changed to dtv 13 I can't pick it up. Channel 36 and 46 still come in strongly. I have a Dish 811 receiver with a Mit 65 diamond tv. Any help would be appreciated.
post #658 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of all things to dream about... picking up a digital TV signal from WDKY in Lexington - LOL!

Have we become obsessed?

Anyway, yesterday was kind of a rough one for WDKY here at the cave ... mucho RF/EMI/whatever interference all afternoon (or perhaps the encoder was acting up.) What I saw of the Vikings/Bears game looked fairly good. I would have to give the edge to ESPN/ABC on PQ, but DD5.1 was pretty cool. Something went screwy for the second game, resulting in dead air on the DT (except for local commercials) until the 8pm show "Fashion Rocks." ... First weekend jitters I guess ...

PS: Yes WDKY, there is somebody watching
post #659 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 04:23 PM

I live in Richmond and cannot receive Ch 27 over my antenna anymore. I had a strong signal before it was changed to dtv 13. I still get 36 and 46 fine. I have a Dish 811 receiver and Mits 65 Diamond set. The antenna is high on the chimney but no signal anymore when I place 13 in the menu on the 811. Any help would be appreciated.
post #660 of 5270 Old 09-27-2004, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Try re-scanning for channels... Since they shifted their PSIP from 27 to 13 your unit may not be able to find it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page