post #181 of 5254 Old 02-23-2003, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin
Anyone miss the first hour like me of the Grammy's on CBS tonight? It seems 13.1 just now came back up with power here at just before 9:00pm... Was it just me?

I swear they went down just as S&G sang "Hello darkness my old friend ..."

Hummm ...

HDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5254 Old 02-24-2003, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whew -- I'm it wasn't just me this time. I was starting to get paranoid.

I have a feeling things are going to be touch-and-go for a while. The storm really messed things up around here.

The HD feed looked kinda weird and jumpy when it came back up (as the NYP was introduced), but smoothed out after that and looked pretty good for the remainder. Loved the Clash tribute!

Ryan
post #183 of 5254 Old 02-24-2003, 08:03 PM

Guys, I need some help picking a new antenna. I live in SW Lexington off of Clay's Mill. I currently have a Terk TV55 mounted 4 foot above my chimney with a rotor, my house is a ranch by the way. I get Lex CBS and ABC ok but struggle with others. I would like to improve Lexington stuff, try to pull in Louisville and anything else I can get my hands on. My receiver is a Dish 6000. I see some folks using a CM-4228. Can I sill get DT-13 with this UHF only? What pre-amp do you guys recommend? As most I'm not supposed to have an outdoor antenna, and I know the FCC says you can regardless of the restrictions. I have a huge attic but not willing to give up much, your thoughts? Ugly is a factor.

Thanks for your help!
post #184 of 5254 Old 02-24-2003, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the19hole
I see some folks using a CM-4228. Can I sill get DT-13 with this UHF only?

I've got a 4228 that gets VHF-13 flawlessly.
Quote:

What pre-amp do you guys recommend?

I'm using a CM-7777.
post #185 of 5254 Old 02-26-2003, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
HD feed tonight KET4 20:00 22:30
post #186 of 5254 Old 03-04-2003, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

WTVQ-DT is back on the air! Welcome back
post #187 of 5254 Old 03-05-2003, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Guys, I need some help picking a new antenna. I live in SW Lexington off of Clay's Mill. I currently have a Terk TV55 mounted 4 foot above my chimney with a rotor, my house is a ranch by the way. I get Lex CBS and ABC ok but struggle with others. I would like to improve Lexington stuff, try to pull in Louisville and anything else I can get my hands on. My receiver is a Dish 6000. I see some folks using a CM-4228. Can I sill get DT-13 with this UHF only? What pre-amp do you guys recommend? As most I'm not supposed to have an outdoor antenna, and I know the FCC says you can regardless of the restrictions. I have a huge attic but not willing to give up much, your thoughts? Ugly is a factor.

Thanks for your help!

I too have the CM4228 mounted in the attic and get 13 no problem. In fact, it comes in best of all!

If you have a pending court date, don't show up drunk!
post #188 of 5254 Old 03-05-2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I sent you a PM... did you get it?
post #189 of 5254 Old 04-13-2003, 06:38 PM

Anyone using Insight's HD? I did a quick search here and didn't see any mention it (except in the louisville thread).

I emailed insight, again, sharing my need for timeshifting (no way I can make it to the couch on time). I just wanted to remind them that this is important (i'm not sure there is anything more than ota that needs timeshifted as of now, but eventually there will be and I want themto keep it in mind).

In any case..... I was surfing around and bumped into this old article at http://www.media-visions.com/itv-cablehdtv.html and it mentions a Scientific America set top box that converts the cable co's QAM back to 8vsb. (sorry, semi-crosspost in hardware).

Insight HD seems like a good deal, 2 bucks?
post #190 of 5254 Old 04-13-2003, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jcblack
Anyone using Insight's HD?

I don't have Insight yet... but four guys I work with have subscribed to the service. Since I already have an OTA tuner, and I'm not currently an Insight "digital" customer, there's no compelling reason to jump on Insight just yet (since I"ll need to add digital at about $10/month, and than the $2/month for HD). I'm not interested in the digital service since I use a Tivo to record via an analog tuner... So it's more then $2/month for me.

The guys I work with report that they're very happy with the service, although it's currently limited to CBS (via WKYT-DT), KET (hardly any HD though), HBO, and Showtime. ABC-HD is available and reportedly "hooked-up" and ready to transmit once they ink a deal. [NOTE: HBO and Showtime HD are available if you subscribe to the HBO and/or Showtime package... ie.. not included in the $2/month fee].

With ESPN-HD and possibly HDNet on the horizon, I'm probably game to jump on the Insight bandwagon eventually.

Anyone have any news to report on the latest ETA for WLEX-DT?

Quote:

...Scientific America set top box that converts the cable co's QAM back to 8vsb

Hmmm... very interesting!
post #191 of 5254 Old 05-07-2003, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone have any news to report on the latest ETA for WLEX-DT?

Anyone? Anyone?

-----------------------

Is any one else been having major late-night multipath trouble this week? WKYT-DT has been unwatchable after 11pm(ish).

HDC
post #192 of 5254 Old 05-08-2003, 10:36 AM

I am seeing the audio dropouts on WKYT, but no signal dropouts. I noticed on the Louisville thread that someone was seeing the same audio problems on their CBS affiliate. Maybe it is a problem with the CBS source.

Also has anyone see problems with PAX? I am seeing Audio and Video come and go, but again the signal is fine.
post #193 of 5254 Old 05-08-2003, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wellington
I am seeing the audio dropouts on WKYT, but no signal dropouts.

I'm 90% sure its thunderstorm induced multipath. Even the analog stations were blanking out tonight.

HDC
post #194 of 5254 Old 06-14-2003, 07:47 PM

Anyone using insight's HD in lexington yet? Did you get it yet, ragamuffin?

The Lousiville thread is pretty busy. There is a lot of talk about HDnet and Espn and discovery on insight. What's the story here in lexington? same? ...I'd assume it would be.

Thought I'd ask here again before sending insight an email...
post #195 of 5254 Old 06-14-2003, 08:02 PM

jcblack,

I don't have Insight HD yet... I would need to step up to digital ($10 more per month for me), and then the additional $2 for HD as well.

A bunch of guys I work have it and they like it, but are somewhat disappointed with the content. No ABC yet, which means Insight HD customers missed the NBA finals and Stanley Cup hockey. Doesn't appear to be any plan in place to get this up and running anytime soon either. Both sides say they're ready, and that the other side is holding things up...

Right now I get more for free OTA (with NBC out of Louisville on a good day) than Insight offers me. I saw the posts on the Louisville thread and was curious myself. I'll ask the guys at work next week and let you know if they've heard anything from Insight.
post #196 of 5254 Old 06-15-2003, 12:09 PM

I have Insight HD and am quite happy, except for no ABC. The picture quality is different from Direct in my experience. Fewer artifacts but a lower color saturation.

Insight had announced in a strategic direction to rollout wider HD by end of 2nd quarter of this year across their systems. Looks like that is happening.
post #197 of 5254 Old 07-12-2003, 04:30 PM

Anyone know anything about why WTVQ-DT Channel 40 is off the air?

Interesting info regarding WLEX-DT in the Louisville thread from mid last month at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...56#post2324656 ... this is HDTVChallenged's response to some info from William Smith at KET. Does this change in WLEX ownership accelerate their DTV interest any at all?
post #198 of 5254 Old 07-12-2003, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know anything about why WTVQ-DT Channel 40 is off the air?

... this is HDTVChallenged's response to some info from William Smith at KET. Does this change in WLEX ownership accelerate their DTV interest any at all?

I suspect channel 40 was knocked off by the Friday storms ... plus they were having some trouble with their upconverter for a while .... then again they are still recovering from February ...

Somehow, I don't think all the ownership changes at WLEX are going to help the DTV transition at all ... WLEX as gone from being the market leader (technology-wise) to the market straggler ...

HDC

Edit/Update (7/13): Just after I posted this, I noticed channel 40 was back on during the wee-hours, checked this morning and they were off again .... hummm
post #199 of 5254 Old 07-13-2003, 04:23 PM

Channel 36 HD is back on the air as of 6:24pm . . .
post #200 of 5254 Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Hello guys. New to HDTV. Got my Fusion II about 3 weeks ago and was a little frustrated at the lack of OTA HD. There are several programs that are excellent but - Monday night football last monday night was nothing short of stunning. My wife kept saying "this looks REALLY good". Monday nights are gonna be good this season. I'm at Clays Ferry with a 8 bay channel master in the attic and getting good signal on cbs, abc and local pbs. Can't wait til lex18 cures their digitally challenged condition.

DaveS
post #201 of 5254 Old 08-07-2003, 04:16 PM

I have a CM422 in the attic and I get WAVE at about 85% at night. I'm on the south side of Lex. Go to antennaweb.org ant get the direction and give it a try.
post #202 of 5254 Old 08-12-2003, 01:26 PM

Hi.

I wanted to ask you fellow Lexingtonians for some advice.
Currently I get HDTV through Insight which is pretty good but the fact that they still do not have ABC drives me crazy because that means no Monday Night Football for me in HDTV. They also seem to lag behind with getting other HDTV channels like ESPN-HD and HDNET.
That is why I am thinking of getting OTA receiver and antenna.
I live in SE Lexington, off Tates Creek. The equipment I had in mind was the Samsung SIRT151 and the Zenith antenna.
I live in an appartment complex which means I cant put anything outdoors. Indoors only.
I will be happy to get any input from you guys.
Also if anyone has any news as to when Insight will have ABC and/or ESPN-HD please let us know.
Last time I talked to them they did not seem to know much, just said they expect to increase their lineup this fall.

Thanks.
post #203 of 5254 Old 08-12-2003, 03:37 PM

Lost CBS. is CBS in Lexingotn offline or do I have a problem??? did a scan of channels lastnight and cbs did not show up nor did it today. Anyone having problems with ota cbs. --- DaveS
post #204 of 5254 Old 08-12-2003, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SNOOT
Lost CBS. is CBS in Lexingotn offline or do I have a problem??? did a scan of channels lastnight and cbs did not show up nor did it today. Anyone having problems with ota cbs. --- DaveS

Yes ... they are off the air, phone receptionist did not have an estimate as to when they'd be back up, but they are "working on it." They had some trouble with the analog side on Saturday, so perhaps they are scavenging parts to keep 27 up ... (speculation.)

HDC
post #205 of 5254 Old 08-13-2003, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Yes ... they are off the air, phone receptionist did not have an estimate as to when they'd be back up, but they are "working on it." They had some trouble with the analog side on Saturday, so perhaps they are scavenging parts to keep 27 up ... (speculation.)

HDC

I had heard that they were off the air this past weekend (analog 27 and digital 13) putting in a new generator. Perhaps (speculation) they are still making some adjustments.
post #206 of 5254 Old 08-13-2003, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyVolcano
Hi.

I wanted to ask you fellow Lexingtonians for some advice.
Currently I get HDTV through Insight which is pretty good but the fact that they still do not have ABC drives me crazy because that means no Monday Night Football for me in HDTV. They also seem to lag behind with getting other HDTV channels like ESPN-HD and HDNET.
That is why I am thinking of getting OTA receiver and antenna.
I live in SE Lexington, off Tates Creek. The equipment I had in mind was the Samsung SIRT151 and the Zenith antenna.
I live in an appartment complex which means I cant put anything outdoors. Indoors only.
I will be happy to get any input from you guys.
Also if anyone has any news as to when Insight will have ABC and/or ESPN-HD please let us know.
Last time I talked to them they did not seem to know much, just said they expect to increase their lineup this fall.

Thanks.

If you have not read through the L'ville thread yet, AVS L'ville Thread, I'd suggest browsing through there first for what might be possible with Insight eventually. It seems that Insight is blazing it's trail in L'ville as they appear way out in front of anyone else technically (with HDNET, ESPN-HD, ABC, CBS, NBC, DISC-HD, and PBS). I'm assuming that Lexington Insight should follow at some point in time... "when" is the $10,000 question.

Lexington Inisight currently offers nothing more than what you can get OTA today (minus ABC with no solution in sight). I've been OTA long before Insight came into play. I'd like to get ESPN-HD and HDNET at some point, and it appears that Insight will be using the upcoming Motorola HD PVR which interests me...

To answer your OTA in the Tates Creek area question, the Samsung is a good receiver. WKYT and WTVQ are both located at the intersection of Man O'War and Winchester roads, roughly NorthEast of your location. PBS is located roughly SouthEast of your location (I-75 at the river). You mention you're in an apartment, are you on first floor, or a higher floor? Do you have rooms that face these general directions "clearly", or are you on the opposite side of the building. Are there other buildings blocking your view in the "optimal" directions? If you have "height" and an open view in these general directions, just about anything will work for you antenna-wise for these locals.
post #207 of 5254 Old 08-13-2003, 04:55 AM

Does anyone else out there have problems with KET's audio PSIP's via OTA?

I'm currently trying to archive a segment of a show to a DVD and when I use DVDtoAVI to demux the audio and video, the AC3 delta number "calculated" by DVDtoAVI is garbage due to too many "wacky" sub channels in the audio stream (invalid audio PSIP's?). I've never had a problem doing this with any other OTA stream. I've also heard about some issues with certain OTA tuners getting confused when switching to KET sub channels (I can't remember the specific details). My spcicific OTA tuner (HiPix) works fine in this regard though, does anyone else out there have KET audio PSIP issues?
post #208 of 5254 Old 08-13-2003, 05:43 AM

Quote:
If you have not read through the L'ville thread yet, AVS L'ville Thread, I'd suggest browsing through there first for what might be possible with Insight eventually. It seems that Insight is blazing it's trail in L'ville as they appear way out in front of anyone else technically (with HDNET, ESPN-HD, ABC, CBS, NBC, DISC-HD, and PBS). I'm assuming that Lexington Insight should follow at some point in time... "when" is the $10,000 question.

Lexington Inisight currently offers nothing more than what you can get OTA today (minus ABC with no solution in sight). I've been OTA long before Insight came into play. I'd like to get ESPN-HD and HDNET at some point, and it appears that Insight will be using the upcoming Motorola HD PVR which interests me...

To answer your OTA in the Tates Creek area question, the Samsung is a good receiver. WKYT and WTVQ are both located at the intersection of Man O'War and Winchester roads, roughly NorthEast of your location. PBS is located roughly SouthEast of your location (I-75 at the river). You mention you're in an apartment, are you on first floor, or a higher floor? Do you have rooms that face these general directions "clearly", or are you on the opposite side of the building. Are there other buildings blocking your view in the "optimal" directions? If you have "height" and an open view in these general directions, just about anything will work for you antenna-wise for these locals.

I live on second floor. Apt is facing south, so I dont have direct line of sight to the ABC, CBS tower. However, The whole area is on a hill so I guess the entire location is pretty high.
I will probably get the Samsung. which antenna is recommended considering I can only use indoors?

Thanks.
post #209 of 5254 Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyVolcano
I live on second floor. Apt is facing south, so I dont have direct line of sight to the ABC, CBS tower. However, The whole area is on a hill so I guess the entire location is pretty high.
I will probably get the Samsung. which antenna is recommended considering I can only use indoors?

Do you have any wife acceptance factor issues? I'm assuming you'll be primarily interested in ABC and CBS... if so then I'd suggest a CM-3021/CM-4221 4-bay UHF antenna. You should be able to pick one up locally at Radio Electronics on Skain Ave. (behind Herald Leader building) for less than $25.00. CBS is on VHF channel 13 but the UHF only CM-3021/CM-4221 has no problem receiving this VHF channel. This is a "directional" antenna that you'll need to rotate around towards the SouthEast to pick up PBS when interested. This is an "outdoor" antenna, but could easily be tucked into a closet somewhere possibly. It's roughly 18 inches wide, 3 feet tall, and has about 6 inches of depth.
post #210 of 5254 Old 08-13-2003, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had heard that they were off the air this past weekend (analog 27 and digital 13) putting in a new generator. Perhaps (speculation) they are still making some adjustments.

Well, I just got an e-mail from the operations VP. He said they are having problems with the high-voltage transformer that feeds the station, and are cutting power consumption back to avoid loosing it completely. They expect to have it replaced Friday night and everything back to normal by the weekend ... Looks like a Ghosty Amazing Race this week.

HDC
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page