Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 511 Old 07-25-2002, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a few pings for info, and so, I'll repost this again. Any additions/subtractions/changes are appreciated -- I'll add them as they are suggested. I'd like to get the broadcast power for all live stations, if possible, and their "live" windows if they aren't 24/7. Other info, like whether they support HDTV or not, would be useful too. I'm putting in the names/emails of their chief engineers where I know them -- and will be happy to add others if you point them out. Some additional info from San Antonio would be very helpful for us up in Austin to help us determine if it is worth putting up outdoor antennas.

Power info is ERP; the first number is the actuall broadcast power and the number in parantheses is the full power they are licensed to broadcast at.

In alphabetical order by city, these are the Central Texas digital television stations I am aware of, including their schedule for coming on the air if I am aware of it:

NBC Affiliates:

21 KXAN...Austin........................On-Air -- 105kW (700kW)
Mark Dunham
Chief Engineer KXAN/KNVA/KXAM
mark.dunham@kxan.com

Latest news: KXAN and KNVA will both be delayed getting onto Time Warner for at lease several months. KXAN will go to full power in several weeks when KXAM goes live. (1/13/03)

27 KXAM...Llano........................Testing (194kW/1000kW)
Mark Dunham
mark.dunham@kxan.com

Latest news: KXAM is waiting for FCC approval to go live, and expects to do so in a few weeks. Initially will broadcast at 194kW until interference with another station is worked out. Expect to reach Austin area. (1/13/03)

58 WOAI...San Antonio..............On-Air -- 480 kW (1000kW)
Greg Derkowski
Director of Creative Services WOAI-TV/DT
gregderkowski@woai.com
Greg Derkowski on the AVS Forum

Latest news: They changed their call letters from KMOL to WOAI. 1000kW sometime in 2004. (9/23/02)

09 KCEN...Temple......................On Air 25.5kW (25.5kW)
Gerald Richmond
KCEN Engineering
grichmond@kcentv.com
TowrMonkey on the AVS Forum

Latest News: Full power. 9/27/02

ABC Affiliates:

33 KVUE...Austin.........................1st Qtr 2003 (1000 kW April 2003)
Mike Wenglar
Director of Engineering KVUE Television Inc.
MWENGLAR@kvue.com

Latest news: Construction of common tower with KEYE-DT delayed; expect to go live OTA in May/June 2003. KVUE-DT is now being carried "in testing" on Time Warner digital cable.(1/29/03)

48 KSAT...San Antonio................On-Air 1000kW
KSAT HTML Contact Form

Primetime only- ~ 7-10PM

26 KXXV...Waco.......................... On-Air 2.27 kW (1000kW)(also is Waco WB)
KXXV HTML Contact Form

Are constructing a new transmitter facility; don't expect anything new before late summer. They are broadcasting three subchannels -- ABC, Telemudo (off Time Warner Waco), and weather. All three feeds are 480i. (1/15/03)

CBS Affiliates:

43 KEYE... Austin........................On-Air 35kW (82.7 kW April 2003)
Aug 2002
Dusty Granberry
Engineer KEYE
dwgranberry@keyetv.com

Latest news: They will broadcast in low power until new tower (shared with KVUE) becomes operational in July/August 2003. They have applied for a channel maximization to 1000 kW. Still have some audio problems. In testing on Time Warner digital cable. (1/10/03)

55 KENS...San Antonio............... On-Air -- 29.4 kW (982 kW)
Jerry Paonessa
Engineering Supervisor KENS-TV/DT
jpaonessa@kens5.com
Realthogue on the AVS Forum

Frank Peterman
Director of Engineering
KENS-TV/Radio
KBEJ-TV, UPN 2
FPeterman@kens5.com

On-air 5:00 AM - 11:00 PM

53 KWTX...Waco......................... On-Air -- 501 kW (1000 kW)

General Email: mail@kwtx.com
Ken Musgrave
unknown title
kmusgrave@kwtx.com

FOX Affiliates:

56 KTBC...Austin....................... On-Air -- .8 kW (1000 kW)
Ken Smith
VP Eng. & Ops. KTBC Fox 7
ksmit367@foxtv.com

Latest news: Fox 480p Widescreen feed for primetime! No intention to boost signal power until mandated by the FCC. Time Warner customer service says the live date for KTBC-DT on digital cable is March 1, but that it is likely to be added sooner. (1/29/03)

30 KABB...San Antonio.............. On-air -- 6-7 kW
Same engineering department as KRRT.
Contact addresses: engineering@kabb.com and
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology, Sinclair Broadcast Group
dtv@sbgi.net
MisterDTV on the AVS Forum

Latest news: On air, low power, no Fox 480p Widescreen. While they will eventually go to high power/480p widescreen, they have no immediate plans or timetable for doing so. 6-7 kW 480p NTSC upconvert initially. (11/01/02)

57 KWKT...Waco....................... Filed for CP Extension (1st Quarter 2003)
Lou Strowger
Chief Engineer KWKT
lstrow@kwkt.com

WB Affiliates:

49 KNVA...Austin....................... On Air 500kW (500kW)
Mark Dunham
mark.dunham@kxan.com

Latest news: On-Air. Present material is 4:3 480i; expect to begin HD broadcast after February sweeps. KXAN and KNVA's appearence on Time Warner will be delayed at least several months compared to the other Austin stations. (1/29/03)

32 KRRT...Kerrville..................... on-air
Same engineering department as KABB.
Contact address: engineering@kabb.com and
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology, Sinclair Broadcast Group
dtv@sbgi.net
MisterDTV on the AVS Forum

Latest news: Low power 480i. (11/01/02)

26 KXXV...Waco........................ On-Air? 2.27 kW (1000kW)(also is Waco ABC)
KXXV HTML Contact Form

Are constructing a new transmitter facility; don't expect anything new before late summer. They are broadcasting three subchannels -- ABC, Telemudo (off Time Warner Waco), and weather. All three feeds are 480i. (1/15/03)

UPN Affiliates:

-- KBEJ...Fredericksburg......... No DTV Filings; No digital assignment

Frank Peterman
Director of Engineering
KENS-TV/Radio
KBEJ-TV, UPN 2
FPeterman@kens5.com

KBEJ came on line after the DTV channels were allocated, they will not be required to broadcast digital until 2006. At that time they lose the analog Channel 2 and must start broadcasting on Digital Ch.2. (6/24/02)

PBS Affiliates

22 KLRU...Austin...................... 5/1/2003 (59.3 kW/700kW)
David Kuipers
Director of Engineering KLRU-TV
dkuipers@klru.org

Latest news: KLRU is licensed for 59.3kW but petitioning the FCC to maximize the signal at 700kW. They should have datacasting and an HD feed when they go live, May 1, 2003. This date may slip due to tower construction delays. They will not install HD equipment or get onto Time Warner until they go live OTA. (1/15/03)

47 KNCT...Belton...................... Late 2002 (by 5/1/2003)
Max Rudolph
mrudolph@ctcd.cs.tx.us

08 KLRN...San Antonio............. 1st Qtr 2003 (7kW)
Charles Vaughn
Senior Vice President, Telecommunication KLRN
cvaughn@klrn.org

Latest news: they are allocated for 7kW; they will have 4 SD streams in daytime and one HD stream in primetime, plus 1.5 Mb/s for datacasting. They expect to make the May 1, 2003 deadline. (10/1/02)

20 KWBU...Waco...................... On Air 3kW (1000 kW)
Kliff Kuehl
General Manager KWBU
kliff_kuehl@kwbu.pbs.org

KWBU is running a low power signal. Expect to install multicast/HD equipment by the end of May. Expect to be on Waco Time Warner after that. (03/06/03)

Hispanic Affiliates:

13 KAKW...Killeen (UNI)........... On Air (45 kW/39.4 kW)
38 KVDA...San Antonio (TEL).... On Air (375 kW/1000 kW)
39 KWEX...San Antonio (UNI)... On Air (375 kW/400 kW)

Religious Affiliates:

16 KHCE...San Antonio (TBN)... applied for CP

A note on location of the Austin towers: They are in Westlake, on Mt. Larson on the west side of Town Lake. I believe they can be seen to the east from Capital of Texas Highway, north of Bee Caves and south of 2222. They are slightly seperated: the KTBC tower is at the end of Mt. Larson Road, about a mile southeast of the KVUE and KLRU towers (I believe that KEYE uses the same tower as KVUE) location which are at the end of Buckman Mtn Rd; the KXAN/KNVA tower is about half a mile to the northeast of the KEYE tower at the end of Cassava Dr.

If someone emails the actual locations of the towers in san Antonio and Waco, I will list them. Most of the San Antonio towers are in the Lake Calaveras area.

Time Warner Cable in Austin provides Showtime-HD and HBO-HD; KEYE-DT (CBS) and KVUE-DT (ABC) are in testing mode. Time Warner Cable in San Antonio carries HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, KSAT-DT (ABC) and KENS-DT (CBS).

Later

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 511 Old 07-25-2002, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I just bought my first HDTV receiver, so I'm keeping up with this stuff now. I don't have anything to add other than a few comments:

To KXAN, thanks for being first on the bandwagon and providing the only HD signal I can receive with my dinky rabbit ears at the moment. Now if NBC would provide some programming. Also, I really like the weather information on the alternate digital feeds.

I'm obviously disappointed in the delays at KEYE and KVUE. I don't know that I'm far enough north the get the Waco CBS, I need to try an antenna outside.

As for KTBC - well, I guess a little is better than nothing. I can't pick it up right now, I need to try that outside antenna. Even then I'm not that hopeful.

post #3 of 511 Old 07-31-2002, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

For the little that it's worth, ANTENNAWEB.ORG is listing the following "Go Live" dates for the listed DT stations:

KLRU-DT, ch22, Austin: 5/1/2003

KVUE-DT, ch33, Austin: 7/31/2002

KEYE-DT, ch 43, Austin: 7/31/2002

KNVA-DT, ch49, Austin: 7/31/2002

KBEJ-DT, ch2, Fredericksburg: 11/1/2002

KNCT-DT, ch47, Belton: 5/1/2003

KXXV-DT, ch26, Waco: 7/31/2002

I know the July deals are pipe dreams... but we can hold out some inkling of hope, I guess.

-Rob
post #4 of 511 Old 07-31-2002, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As far as I know the antennaweb info is completely wrong (as is TitanTV):

1) As I said, KNVA was supposedly receiving their transmitter in June -- they were going to install it immediately, and the chief engineer said he would email me when they begin testing. I haven't heard anything since early June, and he hasn't replied to emails. They had an extension request granted, for 6 months, which means they have until October to be live or request a second 6 month extension.

2)KVUE and KEYE both are tied together. They didn't get a permit to build an antenna until midspringtime, and they have interference issues to work out. Both of their chief engineers estimated back in March that they wouldn't be on air DT until first quarter 2003 at the earliest. KVUE had their CP extension dismissed because they didn't need one -- there were still interference issues with another station holding up their permit. KEYE had their extension denied -- which just means that they have another year to get their act together.

3) KBEJ hasn't gotten a digital channel assignment. They don't plan to have a digital broadcast until the FCC mandates that analog broadcasts stop. Then they'll go DT on the same frequency they are on in analog now. This is 2006 at the earliest, and could be much later.

4) KLRU and KNCT are both public stations -- they are mandated to go live by 5/31/03. We all saw how closely the commercial stations held to the FCC mandate of 5/1/02, so I'm not holding my breath. The chief engineer for KNCT reportedly said he is shooting to go live sooner than mandated -- we shall see.

Later

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 511 Old 08-01-2002, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

DrJoe,
Thanks for all the info. I'm just looking for a reason that will make me "NEED" to buy an HD reciever... heheehe.... Got to have some excuse to give the wife. :D
post #6 of 511 Old 08-01-2002, 08:02 AM

I have set up a Hughes HIRD-86 receiver in the past week. I wanted to get KWTX digital. I was very surprised that while watching a Ranger game on channel 27 that I could also receive several HD stations from Dallas. I not only receive them but KXAS and KDFW are showing 100 % signal strength. WFAA is coming in at around 65 to 70. The picture is excellent. The HD demo loop shown by WFAA in the afternoons is awesome. I live in the south side of Waco and have a Channel Master antenna with rotor mounted on a tower.

Dan
post #7 of 511 Old 08-07-2002, 09:33 PM

I'm not too surprised, as I understand it nearly all of the Dallas antennas are in Cedar Hill, so not too far off.
post #8 of 511 Old 08-26-2002, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

added some new info regarding KEYE and KTBC

Joe

post #9 of 511 Old 09-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Joe, You can probably update this thread with the new info about KNVA and any newest KEYE info that you have gotten.

TitanTV tells me I should be able to get KXXV at my location (not sure I believe it), but with the power that the Waco CBS station is putting out, I'm thinking its more likely I'll get that than KEYE's 3.6kW from Mt. Bonnell.

What do you think?
post #10 of 511 Old 09-05-2002, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertCooper
Joe, You can probably update this thread with the new info about KNVA and any newest KEYE info that you have gotten.

TitanTV tells me I should be able to get KXXV at my location (not sure I believe it), but with the power that the Waco CBS station is putting out, I'm thinking its more likely I'll get that than KEYE's 3.6kW from Mt. Bonnell.

What do you think?
Well, given the choice between a week "local" source as opposed to a stronger "distant" source, you probably will have to choose one or the other -- unless your antenna has a rotator. Given that Waco only has one station live at present, while Austin will soon have four, I would think the Austin stations would be a better choice to pull in.

This will depend also on your location, and how you install your antenna.

Joe

post #11 of 511 Old 09-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

I know what you mean...

I was just thinking that the Waco ABC station is "supposed" to be on line by the end of November and broadcasting in a decent wattage. Therefore, I have visions of HD superbowl and the best SB bash ever at my house!! :-)

That's why I was sort of asking, "what do you think the chances are of me getting KXXV are?". Live near Howard lane (exit 246) and IH35. Right now, I have an antenna craft AC-9. It has the yellow and green pie pieces on it. :D

edit: DOOOOH! Didn't see until just now that KXXV filed for an extention. UGH.
post #12 of 511 Old 09-05-2002, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These antennas are really quite directional, so if you are marginal in both directions, you'll probably only get Waco or Austin at a time -- it may be possible to rotate the antenna for a one time HDTV event like the Superbowl, then rotate it back for regular programming.

As far as the extension goes -- I haven't followed up with info on that in ages -- and it may be they only filed for a six month extension -- which would mean they would be "required" to be on air in November -- but they can always ask for a second one...

Drop their station an email and ask what their plans are.

Joe

post #13 of 511 Old 09-05-2002, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That's right, Channel 38, KVDA-DT was on the air this weekend! All the soccer matches and crazy talk shows you've been craving. Sure, NBC has Leno, but Telemundo has Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... in Spanish!

It looks like Telemundo is actually being sent as a subchannel of KMOL-DT, the local NBC affiliate. 4-2 (a subchannel of digital channel 58) will show a brief clip of Telemundo and then go to black. Oddly enough, 60-1 (Telemundo SD) is actually being transmitted on digital channel 38. Perplexing, no?

Anywho, if anyone in the Austin-San Antonio corridor wants to watch Telemundo on their HDTV set top box, he now has the option.

Jim

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #14 of 511 Old 09-09-2002, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just noticed that too. There are actually 2 Spanish digital stations on the air in San Antonio right now. KVDA (Telemundo) channel 38 and KWEX (Univision) channel 39. Both signals are very strong and look good.

Chris Blount
post #15 of 511 Old 09-09-2002, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimboG
That's right, Channel 38, KVDA-DT was on the air this weekend! All the soccer matches and crazy talk shows you've been craving. Sure, NBC has Leno, but Telemundo has Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... in Spanish!

It looks like Telemundo is actually being sent as a subchannel of KMOL-DT, the local NBC affiliate. 4-2 (a subchannel of digital channel 58) will show a brief clip of Telemundo and then go to black. Oddly enough, 60-1 (Telemundo SD) is actually being transmitted on digital channel 38. Perplexing, no?

Anywho, if anyone in the Austin-San Antonio corridor wants to watch Telemundo on their HDTV set top box, he now has the option.

Jim
Jim -- do I have the channel assignments for the Spanish channels up in the summary correct?

Do you (or anyone else from down in San Antonio) have any more info on the San Antonio stations -- who their head engineers are, what their email addresses are, how about any more news from KABB, KRRT, or KHCE?

Are any of the digital stations carried on your cable system? What system is in place down in San Antonio? Does it have any HD channels? If so, what?

Thanks,

Joe

post #16 of 511 Old 09-10-2002, 07:42 PM

I have Time Warner Cable in San Antonio. We now have HBO-HD(Channel 380), Showtime-HD(channel 381) and Kens (CBS)- HD(channel 155). Since I don't have OTA reception I can not compare the reception to what others are receiving, but I can say my reception is excellent. Now if we can get the other major affiliates and HD Net onboard, I will be a happy man!
post #17 of 511 Old 09-30-2002, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated KVUE, KEYE, KCEN, and KWBU

Joe

post #18 of 511 Old 10-02-2002, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Many additions and changes

Joe

post #19 of 511 Old 10-04-2002, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Joe, the only reason I have any idea what's going on locally is because of you. Thanks for all the effort in keeping this updated.
post #20 of 511 Old 10-04-2002, 12:06 PM

I used to get 36.1, 36.2, 36.3 - Now all I get is 36.2, 36.3 My signal is locked on channel 21 at 100. I have rescanned many times. I'm using a Hughes Platinum HD. Any thoughts?
post #21 of 511 Old 10-04-2002, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have you tried tuning manually both ways -- as 21-1 and as 36-1?

Joe

post #22 of 511 Old 10-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

All, here is the info that KXXV gave me the other day. Vague, but at least some update...

"We should have low power DTV on before December 1st. We'll build out our full power DTV after that."
post #23 of 511 Old 10-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Any of you Central Texans use the same antenna to pick up both the analog and digital stations? How is the reception on the analog stations, such as KEYE, etc.

I wonder becuase once I get my antenna up, I've thought about cancelling TWC (I only have the $9 deal where you get the 4 major networks, UPN, WB, and then a bunch of local access junk). I mainly did this so the picture quality would be reasonable.

However, if the antenna pulls in NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB with decent picture quality, I would consider axing TWC. I guess once all the stations go Digital, it really won't matter much anyway... I'll just use the Dig. Tuner and broadcast the signal throughout the house.
post #24 of 511 Old 10-07-2002, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using an indoor, radioshack double bowtie antenna.

I get the "majors" very well -- KTBC Fox 7 (and KTBC-DT 56), KLRU PBS 18, KXAN NBC 36 (and KXAN-DT 21), KVUE ABC 24, KEYE ABC 42 (and KEYE-DT 43), and KNVA WB 54 (and KNVA-DT 49).

I am unable to pull in anything for K13VC (low-power independent owned by KTBC, used to be UPN), or for UPN 2 out of Fredericksburg. There are a number of stations which come in with static -- some Spanish stations, some religious stations and some home shopping stations. You can get a thorough list of analof stations at TitanTV.com. I also pull in Waco and San Antonio analog network stations at times.

Basically, you can't avoid picking up the analog stations with the same antenna you use for digital ones -- an antenna is an antenna is an antenna. There is no difference between analog and digital antennas. The place you will see a difference is between UHF and VHF antennas. Because most digital television is in the UHF range, many "digital" antennas are just UHF antennas. If you want to pull in KTBC Fox 7 out of Austin, UPN 2 out of Fredericksburg, or KCEN-DT NBC 9 out of Waco, you'll want a dual use UHF/VHF antenna.

You may want to keep Time Warner though -- KTBC may provide Fox 480p Widescreen over cable before they do OTA; ESPN has announced they will carry a high definition channel next year.

Joe

post #25 of 511 Old 10-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Oh yeah... ESPN HD. That is totally GROOVY. That will make the Day1/Day2 of the major golf tournies an HD masterpiece. <drool>

Good suggestion. I'll look into this one.

My main question really was: how well do the netwroks analog channels come in? Ghosting? Static? etc....

Thanks
post #26 of 511 Old 10-07-2002, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The "majors" I listed come in "very well" --

"very well" means as good or better than cable; often as good or better than "local" upconverted digital OTA -- lots of times upconverted material is "soft".

KEYE does a good job upconverting as does the primetime/latenight upconverted feed from NBC. KNVA-DT has more image problems now (60 cycle hum) than KNVA analog, and KTBC-DT is a waste of time.

You're welcome to come over sometime and have a look, if you want.

Joe

post #27 of 511 Old 10-07-2002, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I may just do that sometime soon. Thanks for the offer!!

In fact, we should have an Austin area HD meeting thing. That'd be cool... get to know each other.

I've known ChrisCarollo for years, but that's the only guy from Austin area on this forum that I know personally.
post #28 of 511 Old 10-07-2002, 01:16 PM

I'd be up for that. Always good to have some friends when you're working with non-mainstream (yet) technology
post #29 of 511 Old 10-09-2002, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the "area meets" forum, I found this reference:Home Theater Forum Meet Thread; there are other Austin threads in the same forum: Austin Movie Nights;September Austin Meets --

Maybe we should see what info is over there?

Joe

post #30 of 511 Old 10-09-2002, 06:54 PM

Hey Guys,

I've got a couple of questions for you:

1) I'm getting a 93 signal strength on my Hughes for channel 21. When I do scan it picks it up fine, but I only get 36-2 and 36-2 on the guide. If I punch in 36-1 it shows "channel not avaliable" It worked fine for a few days, but then I lost 36-1 and it hasn't come back in around a week. Any ideas?

2) I'm in north Round Rock and like I said I'm getting around 93 on NBC from an antenna in my attic. I'm only getting around 10 or so on CBS though. Would it be worth while to move the antenna outside and higher to try and get a signal on CBS? I'd much rather have CBS than NBC at this point.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

brianca...
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page