Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 912 Old 08-06-2002, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spoke with Daryl Cheney today, chief engineer at WRIC (channel 8-ABC). The tower is complete, the transmitter is in place and things are moving along.

Today they were working on the bridgework between the studio and the transmitter. They also have to install two combiners and some other minor work. Then they'll be some tweaking and testing, etc.

The new tower is being shared by ABC, CBS and Fox. Daryl says that he really thinks that all of the major delays are behind them, and he expects that both ABC and CBS (6) will go live sometime in September. No word on when Fox will go live.

WRIC will be upconverting the SD broadcasts (just like 12 is now doing) during the times when no HD is available. Hopefully, we are just a few weeks away from finally getting some more HD content in the Richmond market.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 912 Old 08-06-2002, 08:12 PM

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate the update.

Chip
post #3 of 912 Old 08-09-2002, 02:46 PM

Good news. It's about time. Thanks for the update.:D
post #4 of 912 Old 08-13-2002, 06:04 AM

Have any of you guys been able to pull in signals from Washington, Hampton, or Norfolk? I have a four bay Channel Master mounted at thirty feet and cannot.

I am helping a friend with an install and he's going to use an eight bay channel master mounted at fifty feet. Are the above stations possible or just a pipe dream?

What do you think?
post #5 of 912 Old 08-13-2002, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

100+ miles to amy of those towers from my house makes it mostly a pipe dream. I can wait a few more weeks until we have local reception. I have tried (attic mount antenna) without any success, which is pretty much what I expected.

Please let us know if you have any success!!!

Steve
post #6 of 912 Old 08-15-2002, 06:20 PM

Tracy, all the Hampton Roads stations come out of a tower in the Driver section of Suffolk. How far away from there are you? You may have to aim your antenna along the azimuth from your house to Driver. There is a guy in Kill Devil Hills as well as someone near Kilmarnock who are getting these signals.

Let us know if you have any success. BTW, I don't have an HD set yet myself. (waiting on the new Samsung DLP rear projector on the AVS powerbuy).

Good Luck!
post #7 of 912 Old 08-16-2002, 01:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Does anyone in Richmond in this thread have either analog or digital cable? I need some help in monitoring a show for a technical issue.

You may PM me if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #8 of 912 Old 08-16-2002, 12:23 PM

I live out in Midlothian and was able to get a pbs station out of lynchburg. I can't seem to find it anymore.

They were multicasting 4 or 5 sd feeds.

Quote:
Originally posted by tracythorne
Have any of you guys been able to pull in signals from Washington, Hampton, or Norfolk? I have a four bay Channel Master mounted at thirty feet and cannot.

I am helping a friend with an install and he's going to use an eight bay channel master mounted at fifty feet. Are the above stations possible or just a pipe dream?

What do you think?
post #9 of 912 Old 08-17-2002, 05:57 AM

Hello fellow Richmonders. I'm glad to hear that more stations will soon be on the air. I hope to be able to receive the new stations very well, since I can actually see the new tower off in the distance from the road behind my house (in Midlothian). I just ordered one of those new Samsung SIRT-151 HDTV tuners now that more programming is imminent. I also picked up the much-heralded double bowtie antenna from Radio Shack.

Are any of you guys receiving WWBT right now? If so, how is the reception in your area. Anyone know where there tower is located?
post #10 of 912 Old 08-17-2002, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anamorpheus-
Welcome to the forum!

I've been getting NBC12 since they day they went live. Reception is excellent. Of course, they have virtually no HD content (only Leno and Crossing Jordan).

When there isn't any HD being shown, they upconvert their SD to 1080i in about a 14:9 aspect ratio, which really is pretty decent.

Their tower is located on the same tower as their analog transmitter, which is at their studio on Midlothian Turnpike. If you drive by there, you can see the DTV transmitter mounted on the side of the existing tower.

If you want to see channel 12, let me know and you can come on over and see it in my theater.

Steve
post #11 of 912 Old 08-21-2002, 12:44 PM

I just got my Samsung SIR-T151 today, hooked it up, and immediately got channel 54 (WWBT) with just a Radio Shack double bowtie sitting on top of my set. I'm looking forward to watching Leno tonight and seeing HDTV in my house for the first time.

Steve, thanks for keeping us updated on the HDTV situation here in Richmond. Let us know if you get anymore information on the other stations.
post #12 of 912 Old 09-01-2002, 04:32 PM

I just noticed the start date for WRIC (ABC) on TitanTV has been moved back from 9/1 to 9/15...
Anyone think they might really start on 9/15?
Is anyone from WRIC out there lurking?
post #13 of 912 Old 09-06-2002, 07:21 AM

Liked: 13
Hey all.

I live approximately 12 miles west of Charlottesville, VA. (Crozet) Do you think there is ANY way that I will be able to get the Richmond HDTV stations when they finally go live? If so, what equipment will I need to get? I am currently getting my HDTV via DirecTV with the DTC100. I believe my wife would allow an attic mounted antenna, but would likely draw the line at a large outside antenna.

Thanks for any input.

Sincerely,
Kevin
post #14 of 912 Old 09-06-2002, 07:56 AM

Your distance from the transmitters on the south side of Richmond is about 85-90 miles. Most likely, using a large outdoor antenna with a pre-amp is the only way you'll have a shot at picking up these signals. I think the deck is probably stacked against you.
post #15 of 912 Old 09-06-2002, 11:00 AM

I was hoping the stations would be broadcasting in digital in time for the start of the new fall season. It looks like that will not be the case.

On the bright side, at least NBC will soon be providing more HD content. At least us Richmonders will have SOME HD content to watch.
post #16 of 912 Old 10-07-2002, 05:57 AM

The following came off of VARTV late last week:

"The owners of WUPV-DT (UPN), Bell Broadcasting, call this filing "a precautionary measure." They blame final tower modifications and a receipt of a certificate of occupancy for their transmitter building for the extension. SpectraSite whose building out the site only has to build a "bridge" that's necessary to run the transmission line between the transmitter and the tower. Because of complications relating to the positioning of underground utilities, SpectraSite has been delayed in constructing the foundations for the bridge. WUPV-DT's current 6-month extension expires December 4, 2002. If there are no delays, WUPV-DT should be on-the-air by then..... (10/4/02)"

This sounds a lot like the earlier reports relating to CBS and ABC here in Richmond and their issues with building a bridge to connect the tower and transmitter building.

Does this mean that UPN will also be sharing the same tower with CBS and ABC? I thought UPN's tower was going to be north of town. It would be great if they all shared the same tower. That way I won't have to invest in a rototator.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Tracy
post #17 of 912 Old 10-07-2002, 07:36 AM

That would be nice if all the remaining stations used the same tower. That tower is less than 5 miles from my house, so I'm hoping for great reception, even for the stations that plan to operate on reduced power.

The big question is when will WRIC and WTVR be on the air? According to the last FCC extension request, the "bridge" work for the new tower was expected to be completed by October 8th. Hopefully we'll see these stations on the air very soon.
post #18 of 912 Old 10-07-2002, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I talked to Darryl Cheney again at WRIC about a week ago and the foundation was scheduled to be poured last week, but even he didn't think that was going to happen. He's still saying late Oct. for his station, but I don't know what to believe anymore.

FYI, he said CBS was installing their transmitter last week, so they aren't ready yet anyway.

I just hope they get it all done before the Super Bowl!!

Does anybody know what this "bridge" is and how long it should take once the foundation is poured??

Steve
post #19 of 912 Old 10-09-2002, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another update...............
Yesterday I spoke with Dale (who's last name escapes me) who is the engineer at the CBS station (WTVR).

It seems like there is progress. The crews were on site at the tower yesterday finally starting work on the bridge. I learned that the bridge is exactly what it sounds like.... A overhead rack to carry the lines from the combiner building to the tower itself. There's a road between the building and the tower, and they have to go overhead because there are already so many lines running underground.

WTRIC (ABC) is basically finished with their transmitter. WTVR is finishing up their installation now. The transmitters go to a combiner, which combines the signals to allow them to share the tower.

According to Dale there are two separate antennas on the tower, which will be shared by 4 stations. The overall plan is to add a 3rd antenna, which will allow for a fith (and maybe 6th) station to go up on the same tower. Those 5 are CBS, ABC, Fox and the two PBS stations. No mention of UPN, but I didn't ask specifically. FYI, apparently Fox 35 has their transmitter on site, but it's basically still in the box.

Dale is still shooting for November 1, but he admits that's a stretch. He does believe that they are getting ever closer, and it's weeks, not months away.

I may go out to the tower today to see if I can get some first hand info.

Steve
post #20 of 912 Old 10-09-2002, 07:13 AM

I was driving near the tower yesterday around lunch time and could have sworn I saw a man working high up on the tower. I was too far away to tell for sure, though. It was the tower with the two red antennas on top.
post #21 of 912 Old 10-09-2002, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The DTV antenna is the one with the single white antenna. The two red ones are the analog towers. If you look closely at the white antenna, you'll notice that there is actually a break in the middle, so it's two separate antennas (each accomodates 2 stations).

Steve
post #22 of 912 Old 10-22-2002, 06:42 PM

Hey,

What do you all in Richmond recommend for an good indoor/attic antenna??? I just recenly completed my hdtv setup and am currently using a Jensen TV930 that is sitting on top of my entertainment center on the first floor (of two). However, on most days I am not able to get a consistent digital signal from channel 12. (I am not able to get good reception on the analog channels either.) Any thoughts?

By the way, I have the new Sony HD200 and a new Sony KP57WV700 and boy am I anxious for more HDTV content!

Thanks,
k
post #23 of 912 Old 10-22-2002, 06:44 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I live in the west end near Innsbrook.

k
post #24 of 912 Old 10-24-2002, 10:24 AM

I am using a Radio Shack double bowtie antenna with good success. It sits right on top of my component rack, on level 1 of a two-story house. I'm probably closer to the tower than you are though (out near Brandermill). The RS double bowtie was discontinued several months back, but you might still be able to find one on clearance if you look around. I've also heard that Circuit City is now carrying the Silver Sensor antenna, which is supposed to be an excellent indoor antenna.

From the West End, you might need an attic antenna. You're probably about 15-20 miles from Channel 12's transmitter on Midlothian Tnpk.
post #25 of 912 Old 10-24-2002, 07:20 PM

Thanks. Have you or anyone else had any experiece/suggestions relating to an attic antenna?

km
post #26 of 912 Old 10-25-2002, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have an attic antenna and performs just fine.

Steve
post #27 of 912 Old 10-31-2002, 02:26 PM

Fox 35 (digital channel 26) is now on the air!!!

The question is, will they pass the "Enhanced Definition" signal through for their 16:9 programming?
post #28 of 912 Old 10-31-2002, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

26 is certainly up, but I'm not sure what type of signal they are sending. It doesn't look that much better than their standard analog channel!

I can't believe that Fox beat ABC and CBS. Sinclair who owns 35 is certainly not a proponent of DTV. I was at the tower today, and the bridge is almost done, and it looked like they had completed one of two large conduit runs into the transmitter building. I guess the Fox signal is coming through the conduit that is already done.

Hopefully this means 6 and 8 aren't far behind!!

Steve
post #29 of 912 Old 10-31-2002, 04:56 PM

Fox 35's signal looks like 480i to me, which is the only format Sinclair supports for most of it's stations. I'm really hoping that WRLH will at least pass FOX's 16:9 programming in 480p, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, it's nice to see another digital channel on the air here in Richmond.
post #30 of 912 Old 10-31-2002, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, I just checked and it's 480i. I guess that's better than nothing!! :)

Steve
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page