Comcast hdtv converter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Comcast hdtv converter

I live in St Augustine, FL and (unfortunately) have Comcast as a cable provider. Until recently I thought the only way to get HD signals was with one of there HD cable boxes. Recently I realized that for half the monthly price u can get an HD converter box. It supposedly limits the number of channels that u can get, but nobody at Comcast can actually tell me what channels it will receive. I assume that it will pick up the same channels that I get with my DTA CONVERTER for my old analog tv, except in HD. That is all that I want, since I would use it in the bedroom and in my theater room (only interested in broadcast channels) for NFL games. Does anybody use one of these converters and know what channels it will receive. Obviously, nobody at CONCAST (misspell intentional) can tell you, except to say that it is severely limited in comparison to the HD cable box.
If you can help, please respond.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
I live in St Augustine, FL and (unfortunately) have Comcast as a cable provider. Until recently I thought the only way to get HD signals was with one of there HD cable boxes. Recently I realized that for half the monthly price u can get an HD converter box. It supposedly limits the number of channels that u can get, but nobody at Comcast can actually tell me what channels it will receive. I assume that it will pick up the same channels that I get with my DTA CONVERTER for my old analog tv, except in HD. That is all that I want, since I would use it in the bedroom and in my theater room (only interested in broadcast channels) for NFL games. Does anybody use one of these converters and know what channels it will receive. Obviously, nobody at CONCAST (misspell intentional) can tell you, except to say that it is severely limited in comparison to the HD cable box.
If you can help, please respond.
Thank you
The HD DTA would give you HD.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in Time Warner Cable country. They are in the process of changing over to all digital service. It is their intent to encrypt all channels. I am sure on the website they explain the process. As for Time Warner they are removing both the analog and SD digital feed and only supplying SD in digital for those channels that are not presently carried in HD. The DTA will down convert all HD content to SD if one only has an old SD set. Time Warner uses SDV (switched digital video). Without going into too much detail it allows more channels to be carried by a finite bandwidth of the existing coaxial delivery system. The DTA box, I do not believe, have SDV technology so any channel that is carried via SDV will not be able to be viewed with a simple DTA box. You will need to either buy a cablecard enabled QAM receiver, rent a cable card at a fraction of the price of a cable box and currently Time Warner will supply a tuning adapter not to be confused with DTA to allow the receiver to view SDV channels. The only other option is to lease a HD cablebox but in town it is 4 or 5 times the monthly cost. You will have to contact Comcast to find out what channels you can receive with a DTA. I believe that Time Warner is going to supply all of the basic tier in HD to those channels that they currently carry in HD but the switch over has been delayed for some technical issues for the time being, so I don't really know for certain. Overall, it will improve the picture quality and free up bandwidth for faster internet. As a side benefit, it allows the service to be setup or discontinued without a technician visit as each device will be individually addressable.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan900 View Post
The HD DTA would give you HD.
I have Comcast in South Bend, IN and have a couple of the less expensive HD DTAs that have HDMI output and deliver the whole channel lineup for the tiers I subscribe to as 4x3 SD or 16x9 HD, but Comcast requires one of the full blown HD boxes before you can get them. That full blown one includes their On Demand ability that the cheap ones don't. My Dad in Buffalo, NY has Time Warner and has 3 of the less expensive HD DTAs and TW doesn't require having the full blown box (until the sale goes through, I bet).
post #5 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post
I have Comcast in South Bend, IN and have a couple of the less expensive HD DTAs that have HDMI output and deliver the whole channel lineup for the tiers I subscribe to as 4x3 SD or 16x9 HD, but Comcast requires one of the full blown HD boxes before you can get them. That full blown one includes their On Demand ability that the cheap ones don't. My Dad in Buffalo, NY has Time Warner and has 3 of the less expensive HD DTAs and TW doesn't require having the full blown box (until the sale goes through, I bet).
Thanks George, just what I needed to know. They were telling me if I used the HD converter, I would only get about 20 channels. I am going to give it a try.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
I live in St Augustine, FL and (unfortunately) have Comcast as a cable provider. Until recently I thought the only way to get HD signals was with one of there HD cable boxes. Recently I realized that for half the monthly price u can get an HD converter box. It supposedly limits the number of channels that u can get, but nobody at Comcast can actually tell me what channels it will receive. I assume that it will pick up the same channels that I get with my DTA CONVERTER for my old analog tv, except in HD. That is all that I want, since I would use it in the bedroom and in my theater room (only interested in broadcast channels) for NFL games. Does anybody use one of these converters and know what channels it will receive.
Don't you live close enough to Jax to Pull your HD directly OTA without being a slave to the monthly cable manipulation?

HD is OTA & it's free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception