2Likes
  • 1 Post By phmlpn
  • 1 Post By LGElectronics

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Best antenna for free TV? (San Jose, CA)

Hi, I'm a newbie here and I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct category - please let me know if not! I have a question about antennas. I discovered it's possible to watch TV without subscribing to anybody's service, and with a little rabbit-ear/circular antenna (Philips SDV2270/17) I hooked up a new LG 34" tv and get perhaps eight or nine channels.

I was able to pick up a large antenna from Craigslist, the type you mount on your roof. It has a pole that should be able to turn (the control looks exactly like the one we had when I was growing up in the 70s). But mounting it is going to be a huge endeavor and I don't even know if it's functional. Somebody cut the wires coming out of the motor pretty close, so that in itself is one small task; nothing compared to physically getting the thing secured up there and running wires, etc.

So my question is this: will it be worth it? Will I get more channels with this big old roof-mounted antenna, or better reception on the ones I do get? (One of them freezes up all the time, conveniently during the FIFA world championships right when players were about to score goals).

I sure am appreciative for this forum and this community. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge. (I'm ignorant about TV, but can help you if you want to learn a foreign language).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by jujujulia; 07-20-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujujulia View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here and I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct category - please let me know if not! I have a question about antennas. I discovered it's possible to watch TV without subscribing to anybody's service, and with a little rabbit-ear/circular antenna (Philips SDV2270/17) I hooked up a new LG 34" tv and get perhaps eight or nine channels.

I was able to pick up a large antenna from Craigslist, the type you mount on your roof. It has a pole that should be able to turn (the control looks exactly like the one we had when I was growing up in the 70s). But mounting it is going to be a huge endeavor and I don't even know if it's functional. Somebody cut the wires coming out of the motor pretty close, so that in itself is one small task; nothing compared to physically getting the thing secured up there and running wires, etc.

So my question is this: will it be worth it? Will I get more channels with this big old roof-mounted antenna, or better reception on the ones I do get? (One of them freezes up all the time, conveniently during the FIFA world championships right when players were about to score goals).

I sure am appreciative for this forum and this community. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge. (I'm ignorant about TV, but can help you if you want to learn a foreign language).

Thanks a lot in advance.
I believe you came to the right place If you can provide pics of the antenna and rotor mechanism, you may get help. Many of us here are cable-cutters. For my part, I have Dish because my wife loves her movies

We all had to start somewhere. The only stupid question is the one not asked

For my part, I have an outside antenna combined with Dish. I live approx. 50 miles from the broadcast transmitters for NE Mississippi. Outside antenna is the way to go. I looked up your Philips antenna, and it appears to be an indoor model. IMHO, for OTA reception, outside antenna is the way to go.

PS: There is no such thing as a digital-only antenna. Your antenna can receive digital TV signals. That said, you need to research what channels your stations are actually broadcasting on. A station that may advertise as being on Ch. 4 (VHF) may actually broadcast on a UHF frequency (in my case, ch. 35).
jujujulia likes this.

Last edited by phmlpn; 07-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by phmlpn View Post
I believe you came to the right place If you can provide pics of the antenna and rotor mechanism, you may get help. Many of us here are cable-cutters. For my part, I have Dish because my wife loves her movies

For my part, I have an outside antenna combined with Dish. I live approx. 50 miles from the broadcast transmitters for NE Mississippi. Outside antenna is the way to go. I looked up your Philips antenna, and it appears to be an indoor model. IMHO, for OTA reception, outside antenna is the way to go.

PS: There is no such thing as a digital-only antenna. Your antenna can receive digital TV signals. That said, you need to research what channels your stations are actually broadcasting on. A station that may advertise as being on Ch. 4 (VHF) may actually broadcast on a UHF frequency (in my case, ch. 35).
Hi Phamilpin, (just guessing on how to pronounce your username)

Thanks for your response. It does seem logical that a big outdoor antenna should outperform a little indoor one. The next step is figuring out how to mount it. I'll take pics tomorrow and start a new thread.

Again, thank you SO much!
post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi jujujulia

i live down by parkway lakes and i get pretty good reception of the bay area stations with my antennas mounted in the attic.

the best place to post your questions would be in the thread for our area:

San Francisco, CA - OTA
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Outside Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmlpn View Post

Hi jujujulia,
I couldn't agree more with phmlpn! He's absolutely on the money with his response and the absolute best way to go is with an outside antenna. You'll get more channels and a better quality image since outside antennas tend to be more powerful and have more signal amplification. The other important factor mentioned by phmpln is that of your line of site and proximity to the transmitting station. The closer the better and a clear line of site is a plus. But that is where the outside antenna serves you better in that you can have it in an optimal position to receive signals.
phmlpn likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujujulia View Post

(I'm ignorant about TV, but can help you if you want to learn a foreign language).

Thanks a lot in advance.
Which foreign language?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Please use existing threads when possible.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
antenna , antennas , channels , lcd tv , reception