Denon AVR FM Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon AVR FM Quality

Does any one have knowledge of Denon receivers FM quality, most specifically sensitivity performance. Hard to even tell if some of them even have it. I know it's not very sexy these days but it's a selling point with the wife.

I am liking the Denon AVR for a number of reasons but they seem to ignore FM performance specs. I live in the fringe of two major northeast markets. I have seldom found an inside radio give decent reception but cars do okay.

I am still choosing which model but looking at E300, E400 or better depending depending on more detailed analysis or recommendations. Say if the 1913 blew away the E400 in FM performance or some other feature I haven't considered yet I might be swayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On my Denon the FM stereo 7.1, 5.1, etc. Has a lot of day to day quality changes mostly in
the voice breathing/syliby mid range performance. I don't have an outside antenna though. Some days it is very good and others it sucks. Turning the volume down really helps. Don't know why other than the AVR itself. Other functions (CD, DVD, BluRay) are just fine.
JJK
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a Denon hooked to my TV antenna. Zero complaints, works extremely well. Little to no hiss from cities 60 miles away (mostly flat, though)... where do you live? (General is fine... town, state is better!)
post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
I have a Denon hooked to my TV antenna. Zero complaints, works extremely well. Little to no hiss from cities 60 miles away (mostly flat, though)... where do you live? (General is fine... town, state is better!)
Between Boston and Providence in hilly area in a valley
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwhitewing View Post
Between Boston and Providence in hilly area in a valley
I am familiar with Boston, my brother lives there. With an outdoor antenna, both cities should be fine. Maybe even with a good set of amplified indoor rabbit ears. The little wire thing they sent is worthless, throw it out. I am glad to see someone else use the radio in their Denon!

Example: There is a 250 watt LP on 95.1 (WPCM Burlington, NC) in my city, but I am able to pull in 94.9 (WSLC Roanoke, VA) in stereo with not much hiss and virtually no bleed over. 94.9's transmitter is 86 miles away and the antenna is pointing in the opposite direction, toward the Raleigh TV/radio towers about 60 miles away. Weaker stations from Roanoke are not in stereo, and must be tuned manually, but they are not staticy. All of the 100,000 watt stations at the Raleigh site are stereo, no hiss. There are also stations on 94.5 and 94.7 here. All four get along, if you will, just fine on the Denon. I can also get the close Greensboro/High Point stations (25 miles, not LOS due to small hills) flawlessly and the Winston-Salem stations (55 miles, behind a hill) are hissy sometimes but listenable.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page