KWSD - Sioux Falls, SD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KWSD - Sioux Falls, SD

Can anyone receive KWSD (channel 36) over the air in Sioux Falls?

For over a year my scan locks on that channel. I've rarely succeeded, but with problems. KWSD should broadcast 36.[1-2]. However, it broadcasts 36.1 and 36.[4-5]. 36.1 is a blank screen. Additionally, 36.4 and 36.5 will often broadcast without sound and neither channel broadcasts an OTA program schedule.

I know of two others who can't receive KWSD. KWSD has no office or contact information. I contacted the FCC last year. Unfortunately, that was about as useful as asking the cat to shovel the sidewalk.

I believe KWSD can be received with subscription television. However, with DTV I no longer see the sense of subscribing. It seems a broadcaster with a license has the responsibility to broadcast a signal that can be received.

So that's my rant. I would be interested if anyone can receive KWSD or suggest a solution to the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-08-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Try calling the station's owner, James F Simson, at 605-341-3135 (From FCC records).

From the SD corporate registrations at the SOS's office, https://sos.sd.gov/business/Documents.aspx?cid=DL012687

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 08-08-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
According to FCC microwave licenses they show a studio at 500 Phillips, Sioux Falls and another one at 318 S. Main.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-09-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for responding. Unfortunately, neither 500 Phillips nor 318 S Main is a KWSD office. The phone number is in Rapid City and produces a recording which doesn't identify it as being associated with KWSD. “Hello, please leave a message after the tone.“

I probably should have posted the following link. It includes my and other's posts about KWSD problems and attempts to correct the problem. The relevant posts begin at 1391.

Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV

Frankly, I don't think KWSD cares. I think their only interest is to provide subscription reception. Perhaps the plan is to eventually sell the bandwidth. That's speculation. What do I know?

But what really frustrates me is the response of the FCC. After filing my complaint, I received a letter stating the issue had been closed due to my reception problem.

It seems my receiving 27 channels, some of which are 90 miles away wouldn't indicate a reception problem.

Instead, that 36 is the only channel that locks my scan, coupled with the lack of an OTA program guide, incorrect channel identification, and the lack of sound, would indicate a signal problem.

Shouldn't the FCC, if it grants a broadcast license, be interested that a station doesn't broadcast a proper signal? There must be a way to address the issue.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is this a problem for everyone or just for you and those two others? If most OTA viewers can watch KWSD the FCC might not act on your complaint. There's quite a number of things that could cause pockets of signal blackout when the station is transmitting properly to the vast majority. How far are you located from their transmitting tower, have you seen this on more than one set, and can you describe your receiving antenna system (antenna, cable, amps, splitters, etc)? Even though you get other channels from Sioux Falls, there might be something uniquely peculiar at your location or in your setup that is causing only KWSD to blackout for you.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I know of few who receive an OTA signal. That's why I posted to this forum. I'd like more feedback.

The link I provided indicates others have had problems and they've had equipment failure, which they've not addressed.

I believe they broadcast from the KTTW tower. I'm about nine miles away and receive both KTTW channels well. I receive every DTV channel in Sioux Falls but KWSD.

The main reason I believe they're broadcasting a defective signal is that my scan locks when it hits 36. That, to me, is not an indication of signal strength. If the signal were weak the scan would proceed as it does with other weak signals.

The other reasons are that it broadcasts on 36.1, 36.4, and 36.5 instead of 36.[1-2]. 36.1 is a blank channel. Additionally, they do not broadcast an OTA program guide and have sound problems.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KWSD has had on-going technical problems for a very long time. I remember getting similar complaints about the station when I worked for Luken, which was more than 18 months ago, but I've been unable to get TSReader data from anyone in the area to show what exactly is going on.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8 of 26 Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KWSD has had on-going technical problems for a very long time. I remember getting similar complaints about the station when I worked for Luken, which was more than 18 months ago, but I've been unable to get TSReader data from anyone in the area to show what exactly is going on.

- Trip
Thank you. How can I get the FCC to take action? I know of no way to contact KTTW and it seems to me the responsibility of the FCC.

I'd be willing to provide TSReader data but I have no clue how to do so. Can you instruct me?
post #9 of 26 Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The data can only be provided if you have a computer connected tuner like a USB tuner, PCI card, or HDHomeRun. If you do, you need to download the TSReader Lite software.

http://www.tsreader.com/tsreader/TSR...ite2.8.47c.exe

Install it and then when you run it, it will ask for a driver. If you're using an HDHomeRun, choose HDHomeRun 8VSB or ATSC (I can't remember which it is, but it's one or the other). Otherwise, choose the ATSCBDASource driver. You should then be able to choose the channel (36) and it will load.

If that step fails, let me know and we'll troubleshoot.

Once you're in TSReader, it should pop up screenshots on the right with a graph in the center and other information scattered about. Let it settle for 5-10 seconds. You'll want to go to the Export menu and choose HTML Export. Click the "All" button at the bottom right, uncheck EIT and Thumbnails, and then give the file a name and save it. Then zip it up and post it here.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 26 Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The data can only be provided if you have a computer connected tuner like a USB tuner, PCI card, or HDHomeRun. If you do, you need to download the TSReader Lite software.

- Trip
I have no such tuner but might be able to find someone in my Linux users group. I'll post a message and hope for a reply.

Am I correct that KWSD transmits from the KTTW tower?
post #11 of 26 Old 08-15-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, it comes from the KTTW tower.

TSReader runs in WINE but cannot talk to USB or PCI tuners in WINE. It can, however, talk to the HDHomeRun in WINE.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #12 of 26 Old 08-29-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I found someone to run the TSReader software on KWSD. The attached 36.zip is the output.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 36.zip (90.6 KB, 9 views)
post #13 of 26 Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That has a boatload of TEI errors, which means the signal must be very weak for that person. I can't tell anything from it.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #14 of 26 Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I'll have it run from another location.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

My usb tuner contact ran more scans on KWSDthis morning. Are these good?
Attached Files
File Type: zip KWSD.zip (5.8 KB, 9 views)
post #16 of 26 Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Much better.

Two things jump out at me.

Some tuners will hate this signal because it broadcasts PSIP for an analog and a digital channel, neither of which actually exist, while the two channels of content have different program numbers (4 and 5) from the one specified in the one digital PSIP (3). Some tuners will choose to show 36-1 without content, some will show 36-4 and 36-5 correctly but with no PSIP, some might do both, and yet others will probably have a meltdown.

The station is transmitting a CAT, which prevents some tuners from receiving the signal at all. A CAT is generally used on signals with encrypted content, and there are certain TV sets which see a CAT and immediately reject the entire signal, regardless of whether or not any actual encryption is present.

Fixing the settings on the PSIP generator would be a great first step for KWSD.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #17 of 26 Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your analysis. I'm glad we supplied a good file.

So, my question now is how do I proceed? KWSD is uncommunicative to put it mildly. How do I get the FCC to listen and act? My other thought would be to write RTN and MeTV and supply the files I sent you.

One additional question. Aren't digital stations required to broadcast an OTA program guide. Even when they broadcast a proper signal they never provided a guide. Perhaps that would be of interest to the FCC.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I used to work for Luken, parent company of Retro TV. Trust me when I say they already know about KWSD's on-going problems, though not in detail because they didn't have the information you sent me. I am going to write to them with specifics on your behalf and maybe they'll have better luck with KWSD than you've had.

You're correct that the program guide is required for full-service stations, but PSIP itself is required for all stations. Let's try the Luken route first, and then if that leads nowhere within a week or two, let me know and I'll see if I can find the right person to talk to about it. (See my signature under my post if that sentence is unclear to you.)

Finally, do you know if the person who got you those TSReader exports for KWSD might be willing to do the same for the other area stations? I haven't had updates on Sioux City and Sioux Falls area TV stations for RabbitEars since 2009, and I'm sure lots has changed since then...

- Trip

N4MJC

post #19 of 26 Old 08-31-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds fair. I'll put KWSD in my tickler and check on 09/15/14.

I'll be happy to ask my friend. Do you want scans for all Sioux Falls DTV stations? Sioux City will be more difficult as I strongly doubt he can draw those signals at his house. However, we can schlep his laptop to my house and get 4.[1-3], 14.[1-2], and 27.[1-3]. I very seldom get channel 9. I can seasonally get 20.[1-4] out of Worthington.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The more I think about it, the more I realize how ridiculous my question was. Of course you want all stations.

Bottom line, I had a thought for a new antenna yesterday, which I should have built by Friday. The advantage would be I may be able to get channels 9 and 44? out of Sioux City.

So, unless you hear differently, I'll post scans of all Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and possibly Worthington channels I can get next weekend.
post #21 of 26 Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome, thanks. I wrote to Luken this morning (not expecting any response until Tuesday) and we'll see what happens.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #22 of 26 Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

A change of plans and ahead of schedule ... We did our scans early this morning before US Open coverage with my old antenna . I think you'll be pleased as we got the following:

Sioux City

KCAU
KMEG
KPTH
KTIV

Sioux Falls

KDLT
KELO
KSFY
KTTW
SDPB

Vermillion

SDPB

I was surprised we got KCAU and KPTH from Sioux City as I very seldom get either. I was disappointed we didn't get IPTV from Sioux City as I receive it well and could view it as we did out scan. I also couldn't pull Pioneer public television from Worthington.

We received two SDPB files as SDPB broadcasts channel 2 in Vermillion and 23 in Sioux Falls. I guessed which was which, but may have labelled the Sioux Falls station as Vermillion and vice versa.

But aside from not providing Iowa Public Television, I think this is comprehensive. Let me know if there are problems with any of the files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SiouxFallsSiouxCityVermillionScans.zip (20.3 KB, 6 views)
post #23 of 26 Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome, thanks so much! Shame you're missing KSIN, but I don't expect it's much different from the other Iowa PBS stations I got earlier in the year.

Word from Luken is that they'll be contacting the station tomorrow to see about getting it corrected. We shall see what happens!

- Trip

N4MJC

post #24 of 26 Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I scanned channels after 5:00p expecting no inprovement, but am amazed. KWSD no longer locks my scan! In addition, I receive RTN and MeTV without sound problems.

Unfortunately, they still broadcast 36.1, 36.4, and 36.5 without station identifiers or a program guide, but it's a start.
post #25 of 26 Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you get a chance to grab another TSReader export, I'd love to find out what they changed to fix that. I'd be willing to bet the CAT is gone now.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #26 of 26 Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'm reminded of a Groucho Marx story. Groucho was playing golf in the midwest and scored a hole-in-one. The local newspaper ran the headline "Marx Joins The Immortals." The next day Groucho played, shall we say, less well, and the newspaper ran the headline "Marx Leaves The Immortals."

Today I am no longer amazed with KWSD and it appears my enthusiasm was premature. I returned home last night after I posted and found 36.4 and 36.5 had disappeared. Huh? That's a new one as I've never seen a channel just disappear. 36.1 was still there, but as it was a blank screen ...

So I scanned again and KWSD locked the scan but 36.1, 36.4, and 36.5 did scan in. Both channels had some minor sound problems and pixelation. And as usual, no station identification or program guide was broadcast.

This morning I again scanned at 6:15a. KWSD locked my scan and no channels scanned in. Just like old times.

So, apparently no Kewpie doll yet for KWSD. Perhaps yesterday was an aberration as I scanned in a ton of channels in besides KWSD. Perhaps they were tinkering with their settings. One day would have a very fast fix indeed.

KWSD keeps me laughing (not in a good way). But I'm still hopeful.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page