Action scenes casuing fuzzy picture?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Action scenes casuing fuzzy picture??

OK I looked and was not able to find any answer to my problem I was not even sure how to put it.

I am running OTA HD TV here in Phoenix AZ.

I seem to be getting 1080 pictures they are very sharp most of the time..BUT actions scenes will over load and pixelate (?) and get burly.

I am sure my Sets are OK as this does not happen running BluRay movies…so I suspect it is the stations them self’s…??

I am also running homemade DVRs and watch 90% or the TV Shows on one of them.

I figure they are more than able to feed the pictures but bring it up just in case…

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
OK I looked and was not able to find any answer to my problem I was not even sure how to put it.

I am running OTA HD TV here in Phoenix AZ.

I seem to be getting 1080 pictures they are very sharp most of the time..BUT actions scenes will over load and pixelate (?) and get burly.
As motion increases, more bandwidth is needed to send the "difference" between frames, and OTA TV only has a limited amount of bandwidth compared to Blu-ray.

Every subchannel an OTA channel has decreases bandwidth further, making the issue even worse.

Most OTA stations don't care, they'd rather have the revenue from the subchannels and know they have a captive audience for network programming.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

So other than getting TV shows on BluRay there seems to be NO way to get the HD I want..cable does not have it nor any other the Satellite services...

The only one that MIGHT could be C-band??

Rich

post #4 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
So other than getting TV shows on BluRay there seems to be NO way to get the HD I want..cable does not have it nor any other the Satellite services...

The only one that MIGHT could be C-band??

Rich
Thats about it I've read some people watch C-band for just that reason, almost pristine picture quality. In my market only CBS followed closely by NBC and then maybe CW has decent picture quality with minimal macroblocking(what your describing). Fox isn't all that great with motion now that they've added a second HD sub channel and ABC is just plane PATHETIC with all it's subs, really really sad! Luckly for me the majority of my watching comes from my local 1080i sub channel free CBS affiliate, if I watched more ABC or FOX I'd be even more up in arms.
It makes me laugh that now they are talking about 4k when they can't even get 1080i or 720p right, even if they went to 4k it would probably still have macroblocking from bitstarving the channels..... so again you'd have great static pictures but pray they don't use strobes, show running water or any fast motion
post #5 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
ATSC 1080i has this problem natively anyway as compared to 720p, the reduced bandwidth from sharing the pipe with sub-channels and mobile (if applicable), only makes it worse.

The symptom can also be caused by an impaired receiving antenna system that causes too many errors in the tuner and the tuner's error correction circuitry eventually gets swamped causing uncorrectable errors and discernible audio or video defects.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Unfortunately the only solution(s) are

-Sit back furthur
-Get a smaller display (Ouch)
-Learn to live with it like most of us have (Double ouch)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am going to rent a LOT of Bluray DVDs from Redbox for movies, and get a lot of TV shows from the Public Library....

And live with it for network shows...

Too bad there is no super box that could rebuild the pictures for us...kind of like how these is up-scaling and 3D converting...

Rich

post #8 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

We lost out in home recording "AGT The Results" and so had to find it on line...on NBC on line...

Although we had to sit though the commercials and put up with a smaller picture, I saw NO macroblocking or fuzzy pictures, did look like 780 but still good, now if only there was a way to get programs like this direct..

post #9 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
We lost out in home recording "AGT The Results" and so had to find it on line...on NBC on line...

Although we had to sit though the commercials and put up with a smaller picture, I saw NO macroblocking or fuzzy pictures, did look like 780 but still good, now if only there was a way to get programs like this direct..
I'm glad you mentioned AGT. I was thinking something like this might be your issue. I see it on AGT and So You Think You Can Dance from time to time. It really has to do with the strobe lights that they are using on the stage. The HD cameras can't reconcile that well and the screen gets very mosaic like while the strobes are flashing, then all is well. Is that what you are experiencing? This is a production issue and has nothing to do with your TV or the transmission of signal.

Bobby 

post #10 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

That is what was happening...BUT watch it on line and that does not happen...

Rich

post #11 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 54
When I watch "Ninotchka" or "Annie Hall", I never experience those problems.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page