Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4471 of 6082 Old 03-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser10 View Post

Is anyone having problem getting CW (channel 30-1) OTA in HD? I got a weak signal screen just the other day and now the channel no longer comes up.

I am now noticing that there is a 30-2 subchannel... no info in the guide as to what is on...

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 6082 Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CBS' PQ is pitiful for these games...
post #4473 of 6082 Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilljr View Post

I am now noticing that there is a 30-2 subchannel... no info in the guide as to what is on...

Yep, your right.

Now we will have to see what they do during HD programming.

No subs on WPTY.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go

post #4474 of 6082 Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwearyeyes View Post

Cool...I just re-scanned my channels (I just have NON-digital cable and a QAM-equipped tv) and I found I pick up A&E HD, National Geographic HD, and all the NBA League Pass channels, in additioni to all the local HD channels I already knew I got. All the channels have great pq.

I did the same thing. Is there any information on what each channel is? The reason I have a analog line connected to the back of the TV is multiple issues with Comcast and the SA 8300HD. If I can get this to work reasonably well I will just take the box back and save on the monthly rental fee.
post #4475 of 6082 Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Alexander View Post

I did the same thing. Is there any information on what each channel is? The reason I have a analog line connected to the back of the TV is multiple issues with Comcast and the SA 8300HD. If I can get this to work reasonably well I will just take the box back and save on the monthly rental fee.

Unfortunately no...you have to manually figure out what each channel is. But since I only have the local channels (and now A&Ehd, NGhd and NBA league pass), I can remember very easily what channel is what. Oh, and I also get the pointless 25 music channels.
post #4476 of 6082 Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. With trial and error I have figured out the channels. I will miss the HD DVR functions of the SA 8300HD. I have a MCE2005 computer but its tuner is only analog.

Do you use DVR functions?
post #4477 of 6082 Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well WLMT kept the subchannel on during HD programming and man did it show.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4478 of 6082 Old 03-19-2007, 08:51 PM

I'm kind of new to the forum.. I live out in Cordova and subscribe to Comcast using the newer HD DVR. I keep having problems with NBC HD and FOX HD through the cable box both the channels are blacked out but show up every now and then. I set the DVR to record SNL last week and when I went to watch it live I had no pic, but when I went back Sunday to check the recording, it actually played 30 minutes of it. Is it my box?

and on another note, is their something I can sign to tell comcast I want to keep HDNET and HDNET Movies. They have a note out saying the will be taking it away soon. They already took INHD2 off the air. I'd HATE to lose the HDNet channels.
post #4479 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman4208 View Post

and on another note, is their something I can sign to tell comcast I want to keep HDNET and HDNET Movies. They have a note out saying the will be taking it away soon. They already took INHD2 off the air. I'd HATE to lose the HDNet channels.

Where does it say that Comcast is going to take away HDNet? Is it on the channel or somewhere else? INHD2 is nationally going away soon, if it hasn't already, and INHD is going to be remaned Mojo.

I noticed this morning that the local SD channels were out for all of Memphis. Were the HD's out too?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4480 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Aro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Where does it say that Comcast is going to take away HDNet? Is it on the channel or somewhere else? INHD2 is nationally going away soon, if it hasn't already, and INHD is going to be remaned Mojo.

I noticed this morning that the local SD channels were out for all of Memphis. Were the HD's out too?

Channel 001, the Announcements channel, has a page about it. They're adding A&E HD and NatGeo HD, and removing HDNet and HDNet movies April 5th. I'm NOT happy about this. This is likely to drive me to Dish Network.
post #4481 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Alexander View Post

Thanks for the reply. With trial and error I have figured out the channels. I will miss the HD DVR functions of the SA 8300HD. I have a MCE2005 computer but its tuner is only analog.

Do you use DVR functions?

Not for HD. I use Tivo connected via s-cable, but it only records analog. I don't even watch live tv w/ it...only my recorded shows.

But overall, HD through a QAM tuner is a super deal, especially if they don't encrypt A&Ehd and NGhd.
post #4482 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

Channel 001, the Announcements channel, has a page about it. They're adding A&E HD and NatGeo HD, and removing HDNet and HDNet movies April 5th. I'm NOT happy about this. This is likely to drive me to Dish Network.

HDNet is pretty much the only channel keeping me with D*, well that and BabyFirstTV. Looks like Comcast is no longer an option for me even if it does have better HD PQ.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4483 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I just spoke with Comcast. and I can confirm that they're dropping these two stations from their lineup.

I also asked to speak to someone about this change so that I could register my extreme disappointment in this decision (these are two of my favorite HD channels). After getting forwarded two or three times, I finally got someone to give me the name and number of the person who handles the HD lineup. Her name is Sharon Kyser, and the number to call is 365-1770 ext4019. I tried to call her a couple of minutes ago, but all I got was her answering message. I'll try again later and let you know what I find out.

Maybe if enough people call and complain they'll reverse this awful decision.

Ken
post #4484 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I'm kind of new to the forum.. I live out in Cordova and subscribe to Comcast using the newer HD DVR. I keep having problems with NBC HD and FOX HD through the cable box both the channels are blacked out but show up every now and then. I set the DVR to record SNL last week and when I went to watch it live I had no pic, but when I went back Sunday to check the recording, it actually played 30 minutes of it. Is it my box?

I've always had trouble with NBC HD and FOX HD through my cable box. I get much better reception of those channels over the air. I have a set of rabbit ears with a round UHF antenna setting behind my TV. I've found that if I turn the UHF antenna toward the general direction of Whitten Rd. and I-40 most local HD channels come in perfect. I live close to Sam Cooper and Perkins in the city. I've had Comcast out to my house a number of times looking at it and they have never been able to "fix" it. Although it never seems to be a problem when they are there. I seem to notice it more in the evening time.
post #4485 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilson View Post

I just spoke with Comcast. and I can confirm that they're dropping these two stations from their lineup.

I also asked to speak to someone about this change so that I could register my extreme disappointment in this decision (these are two of my favorite HD channels). After getting forwarded two or three times, I finally got someone to give me the name and number of the person who handles the HD lineup. Her name is Sharon Kyser, and the number to call is 365-1770 ext4019. I tried to call her a couple of minutes ago, but all I got was her answering message. I'll try again later and let you know what I find out.

Maybe if enough people call and complain they'll reverse this awful decision.

Ken

Here's some info about Comcast and HDNet you might be interested in. As well as a link to a petition.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/comcasthdnet092406.htm

http://www.**************.com/comcast1/petition.html
post #4486 of 6082 Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM

I still haven't spoken with Ms. Kyser, but I'm willing to bet that the decision to drop the HDNet channels has everything to do with the continuuing wrangling between HDNet and Comcast. It's not a local decision. I guess we've been able to continue to receive those stations even after the switchover from Time Warner to Comcast, but now that the license agreement for carrying HDNet has expired, Comcast will no longer carry it here locally.

I also found a dormant AVS thread on this very topic: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=5&pp=30.

Finally, thanks Don, for those links. The tvpredictions article was interesting. Maybe we need to start complaining to people like Comcast VP Matt Bond to let them know how many people are going to be as upset about this as I am. I don't have his email address, but I believe the email address for Comcast's president is Steve_Burke@cable.comcast.com.
post #4487 of 6082 Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

PM me if you want a Dish Club card to get the service at a discount. I'm pretty happy with the HD and the DVR service.

Bob near Brighton

There's only one thing as difficult as unscrambling an egg, and that's unspreading a rumor.
post #4488 of 6082 Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dorsey slamming last night

http://img156.imageshack.us/slidesho...662367vyz.smil

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4489 of 6082 Old 03-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Is anyone else on Comcast getting a message which appears to be the Emergency Alert System? It says to turn to channel 15, but that is C-Span... It even came up when I was watching a program from the DVR.

Wow, I've been gone a while. HDNet is being dropped? I knew it was coming. This is why cable monopolies are bad.
Has anyone else seen the Anti-AT&T ads? Yeah, like having competition in Memphis could make things worse...

This sucks, seriously.
post #4490 of 6082 Old 03-25-2007, 10:41 PM

So I went to Comcast stood in line for over an hour, swapped out my HD DVR box (8300) and NBCHD 805 and FOXHD 813 worked..... for a day,, they are blacked out again. Any ideas?
post #4491 of 6082 Old 03-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Aro

Quote:

So I went to Comcast stood in line for over an hour, swapped out my HD DVR box (8300) and NBCHD 805 and FOXHD 813 worked..... for a day,, they are blacked out again. Any ideas?

Sounds to me like a signal or cabling issue. I'd have to check and see what frequency 805 and 813 are on, but if they're on the same one, that would indicate to me that something is causing occasional interference on certain frequencies. I had a similar issue several months back, where a number of channels wouldn't come in on the weekends, but for the most part would be fine during the week. Something was happening over the weekends that was putting out some kind of RF interference above what was around during the week. The tech came out and found a poorly-terminated cable out at the tap, replaced it, and it worked fine.

The digital channels are being sent to your house over various frequencies through the coax cable. One frequency holds multiple digital channels. Improperly terminated connectors or poorly-shielded cable can cause added interference on some frequencies, but not others, which can result in what appears to be random channels on your cable box not tuning in.
post #4492 of 6082 Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravma479 View Post

Has anyone else seen the Anti-AT&T ads? Yeah, like having competition in Memphis could make things worse...

This sucks, seriously.

I haven't seen any anti-AT&T commercials. Or if I have it just didn't register.

I did see on the news last week, this caught my eye, that there was some open forum somewhere in Germantown where they were talking about cable and the news, I think it was WHBQ, was interviewing someone from AT&T. it got me thinking if AT&T is thinking about coming here? If so I would be very interested in looking at that. I've heard it's like FiOS. So I would guess we would get high quality HD channels, and at a competitive price.

I have a feeling that where I live wouldn't be one of the first places to get it.

I guess Comcast would realize that if another player jumped in their transition woes would look much worse.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4493 of 6082 Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did WMC flip the switch for Nightly News in HD?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4494 of 6082 Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Could be the signal strength on your line. HD channels are more sensitive to signal issues than SD ones. There's a pretty easy way to tell. Tune to one of the HD channels that's having issues. Leave the box on and hold the Select button down on the box (won't work on the remote) until the little "mail" indicator starts flashing. Let go of select and press Info. That will get you into the diagnostic screen.

Under "RF PARAMETERS" you'll see "Tuner 1". The second value (the one that has dBmV next to it) is your signal strength on that particular frequency. Multiple channels reside on a single frequency.

I've found optimum signal strength for HD to be around +3 or so. If the value is in red, that indicates serious signal issues. you can press Exit to leave the diagnostic menu. If there's a signal issue, have Comcast come out to test the line themselves. Just tell them your channels are freezing and breaking up, and they'll send someone.

Once, all the guy had to do was replace a poorly-terminated coax cable, and it worked fine again. Another time, it was a bad tap out at the street.

Thanks for the tip. I checked my signal strength because lately I have been seeing a vertical blue line in the middle of my TV screen on SD channels. My setting on HD channels is 15 and the value is red. That seems like that's a big problem. What should it be for non-HD channels? I get "analog". This might be a stupid question/comment but if I pay for digital cable should it not be all digital?

Anyway, my problem started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my cable box was reset and the vertical line started to appear. Does anyone else have this vertical line issue?
post #4495 of 6082 Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Aro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plevesque View Post

Thanks for the tip. I checked my signal strength because lately I have been seeing a vertical blue line in the middle of my TV screen on SD channels. My setting on HD channels is 15 and the value is red. That seems like that's a big problem. What should it be for non-HD channels?

Anywhere between -7 and +3 seems to be just fine for most SD channels. If it's red, I'd call Comcast and tell them you're having signal problems and that you need a tech to come out. They should be able to repair it.

Quote:

I get "analog". This might be a stupid question/comment but if I pay for digital cable should it not be all digital?

Actually, that's part of the big deception with "digital cable". Not all the channels are actually digital. In fact, I believe of the channels from 2 - 70-something, very few are. Mainly just the local broadcast channels (03, 05, 07, 09, 010 and 013). If you go up to 103, 105, 107, etc., you'll find the local channels again, but these ones are actually in analog. Most of the basic cable channels (your USA's and Comedy Centrals - stuff that you can still get with analog-only service) are just being picked up in analog by the digital box. For the most part, the true digital stuff is in the 200+ range.

Quote:

Anyway, my problem started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my cable box was reset and the vertical line started to appear. Does anyone else have this vertical line issue?

I've never seen an issue like that before, and it doesn't sound like any kind of signal or interference problem I've ever heard of, either digital or analog. Could be a problem with the box.
post #4496 of 6082 Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Aro

Iceman... I just checked, and 805 and 813 are indeed on the same frequency (561 MHz). Your issue definitely sounds like an interference/cabling problem.
post #4497 of 6082 Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Did WMC flip the switch for Nightly News in HD?

Yes they did. Looked OK, but with all of the remotes (which is 80% of the news) in SD, didn't have much wow factor.

Brian Williams looks better in HD than Dan Rather.
post #4498 of 6082 Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thursday April 5 and Friday April 6:

The Masters Golf Tournament will air on WREG's HD channel only (3.1 or 803 on Comcast cable) on Thursday April 5th and Friday April 6th from 3pm til conclusion around 6pm.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4499 of 6082 Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

The Masters Golf Tournament will air on WREG's HD channel only (3.1 or 803 on Comcast cable) on Thursday April 5th and Friday April 6th from 3pm til conclusion around 6pm.

Thanks, mx. I had been planning to inquire about air times, but you've saved me the trouble!

Now, if we only had a decent signal... The other day I switched between an NBA game on WPTY and the NCAA tourney on WREG. You know something be wrong somewhere when 720p blows away 1080i on a 1920x1080 display.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4500 of 6082 Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

Now, if we only had a decent signal... The other day I switched between an NBA game on WPTY and the NCAA tourney on WREG. You know something be wrong somewhere when 720p blows away 1080i on a 1920x1080 display.

Yeah I sent them an email saying the HD PQ looked like crap and asking if they could fix the out of focus blur. It was forwarded to some new guy I've never heard of. As usual he said we are trying to give the best picture possible, blah blah. I then replied to him twice and haven't recieved an email back.

When they made 3-2 a constant mbps it screwed up 3-1 which looks even worse now.

Dumbasses.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
memphis , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page