Forum Jump: 

post #5701 of 6018 Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
W I believe is the Worship Network.

If I could see the logo on the Spanish channel I'm sure I could figure it out.

You guys are lucky. The cable here where I live down in Grenada only shows HBO (which I don't get), WABG-HD, a PPV barker and the Music Choice channels in QAM. Everything else seems to be scrambled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6018 Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

17-1 in Spanish.

Is there a logo that might clue me in as to which Spanish network it is airing?

Quote:

46-1 all I see is a W where the station id would be. Looks to be religious programming

As Tom says, this is probably Worship, but there are some other religious networks which carry Worship's programming.

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5703 of 6018 Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is there a logo that might clue me in as to which Spanish network it is airing?

No, all that's on there is a bug with the local time and then the name of the program on the other side of the screen. TSReader doesn't show a call name either.

Quote:

As Tom says, this is probably Worship, but there are some other religious networks which carry Worship's programming.

No call name on TSReader either.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #5704 of 6018 Old 02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

Starz HD,

Heres my list:
D

Damn! All you need is basic cable.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5705 of 6018 Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

No, all that's on there is a bug with the local time and then the name of the program on the other side of the screen. TSReader doesn't show a call name either.

No call name on TSReader either.

Would you be willing to do HTML Exports on the two signals and send them to me? webmaster at rabbitears dot info.

Name of the program? Maybe if you could make a note of some of those, it would help figure out which network it is.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5706 of 6018 Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Liked: 10
Found this information.... proves that WREG News Channel 3 is making the switch to HD.

http://news.creativecow.net/story/863190

When Channel 3 goes HD, then we will wait and see if 24/30 gets the upgrades, but that kinda looks unlikely at the moment.
post #5707 of 6018 Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM

They must have been doing some change over prelims this morning. At one point running a tape of last nights news. Back live just before 7:AM apologizing for their technical difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy812 View Post

Found this information.... proves that WREG News Channel 3 is making the switch to HD.

http://news.creativecow.net/story/863190

When Channel 3 goes HD, then we will wait and see if 24/30 gets the upgrades, but that kinda looks unlikely at the moment.

post #5708 of 6018 Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Winter Olympics is a blocky mess on WMC when the athletes move.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5709 of 6018 Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Winter Olympics is a blocky mess on WMC when the athletes move.

Yep, noticed that. Worst I have seen in quite awhile
post #5710 of 6018 Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM

* Comcast 805 has been in and out lately

* I've heard Comcast is upgrading some of the software for the HD DVR's, and idea when Memphis will roll that out?
post #5711 of 6018 Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Anybody have this? I've been seeing really incredible deals. Including a $105/month deal (TV, phone, internet) presented to me by an AT&T guy who was going door-to-door in my neighborhood. (The guy was actually pretty knowledgeable.) I guess the big deal to me is the DVR's quality-- if it sucks like Comcast's, then no thanks. But if it's comparable to what I have now with DirecTV, I might bite. Anyone?
post #5712 of 6018 Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm finally getting around to watching the season finale of Heros, and this is what I see.

This is freaking ridiculous. Yet another reason why my viewing of WMC has pretty much gone bye bye. If it wasn't for this show I could take them off of my guide.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5713 of 6018 Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, I've never seen a station do that. At least you still have the full widescreen image on screen. On a lot of channels I watch, a storm warning means dropping back to 4:3 AND losing half the screen to scrolling messages and ugly maps.

Of course, Heroes is on NBC isn't it? WTVA in Tupelo and WVTM in Birmingham both keep the picture widescreen and have nice unobtrusive overlays, compared to what WMC did there. Yuck.
post #5714 of 6018 Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 PM

I know this is a hotly debated topic. I still say they could at the very least put the network programming on an alternate feed (5-2) for those not that didn't have to be feed second by second. Same thing for wall-2-wall weather coverage. We have sub-channels now, lets use em !
post #5715 of 6018 Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfcosby View Post

I know this is a hotly debated topic. I still say they could at the very least put the network programming on an alternate feed (5-2) for those not that didn't have to be feed second by second. Same thing for wall-2-wall weather coverage. We have sub-channels now, lets use em !

Agreed, that would alleviate a lot of the problems people have with weather coverage. Since most cable companies carry the subchannels now, it should be a no-brainer.

Of course, this would still leave us satellite TV subs out in the cold. Anyone who cares about local weather coverage should have an antenna anyway. Satellite and cable both can go out during bad storms.
post #5716 of 6018 Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Wow, I've never seen a station do that. At least you still have the full widescreen image on screen. On a lot of channels I watch, a storm warning means dropping back to 4:3 AND losing half the screen to scrolling messages and ugly maps.

Of course, Heroes is on NBC isn't it? WTVA in Tupelo and WVTM in Birmingham both keep the picture widescreen and have nice unobtrusive overlays, compared to what WMC did there. Yuck.

I don't know what it is here but every station will scrunch the program with their "flagship colors" all around it, sometimes with some kind of snow decorations or whatever on the side. Why can't the local stations just do like you said, do an overlay? I didn't get another picture but inbetween the show and the first line of closing on the bottom, when another school closed they blasted a BREAKING NEWS in a red box that said "xxx School closed tomorrow." so at that point you had 7 weather things to look at on the screen, NOT including the program you are trying to watch.

Give us a break!! This would make a kid with ADD go mad. Usually I just forgo the local channel if it is doing this and watch it on hulu or the networks website.

WREG tried to do something earlier with stretched SD graphics on HD, but it was nasty looking. WHBQ did the same as WMC, and I don't even remember what WPTY and WLMT did. Their equipment is so outdated. WPTY tried to run weather graphics a few weeks ago and they cut to SD, a green line a few inches into the program, and the map was just left of the middle of the screen.

Man I gotta start capturing some of these channels to my pc when there is a chance of a storm so I can get good caps of the ridiculousness of them.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5717 of 6018 Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed, that would alleviate a lot of the problems people have with weather coverage. Since most cable companies carry the subchannels now, it should be a no-brainer.

Of course, this would still leave us satellite TV subs out in the cold. Anyone who cares about local weather coverage should have an antenna anyway. Satellite and cable both can go out during bad storms.

Or use commercial breaks for updates. I have seen both WHBQ and WPTY do that.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5718 of 6018 Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Or use commercial breaks for updates. I have seen both WHBQ and WPTY do that.

But that would cut into the real programming, lol.

I don't get to watch much TV in Memphis but it can't be worse than ABC 33/40 in Birmingham. James Spann is a wonderful weatherman and very well respected in the community but his policy of breaking into programming for tornado warnings in the coverage area means that prime time programming is just dropped for some warning 100 miles from Birmingham (it's a huge TV market). The other day I was told he did it for a tornado warning that wasn't even in the market, it was a county in the Huntsville market. Sheesh.

At least I'm hearing now they will replay prime time programming after midnight if it's preempted by weather coverage, but the replays are in SD only.

Contrast that with WXVT here in the Mississippi Delta who don't even bother to break in for a tornado warning. Just a little warning box in the corner of the screen. WABG is a bit better, but if the only meteorologist is gone for the night, you're on your own.

Surely there is a sweet spot between wall-to-wall radar coverage and barely a peep?
post #5719 of 6018 Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 PM

WMC's sister station KAIT 8 Jonesboro AR abc runs a red ticker bar with text with the storm warning or watch runing over HD feed! Their weather bug is shown on the HD feed after the red ticker bar goes off.

The only time the screen Shrinks is during commercials aired by KAIT! abc feed using doesn't do that any more since going digital!

But during Tornado Warnings they cut off regular programing and go to live weather coverage. Until the storm is no longer severe!
____________________________________________________________ _____
Local TV Reception and Dxing from Thayer, MO and The OZARKS
Everybody can view my blog that wants to!!! Check out my polls and please VOTE if you like!
post #5720 of 6018 Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Surely there is a sweet spot between wall-to-wall radar coverage and barely a peep?

I've always liked the "no hype weather" by WHBQ. All these other stations act like chicken little and the sky is falling.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5721 of 6018 Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any news on when WREG's HD newscast will come about?
post #5722 of 6018 Old 04-18-2010, 07:29 AM

Anyone have this issue?

We have a Toshiba Rear Projection TV that is ~ 10 years old. The TV has managed to get thru 10 yrs of significant use, gaming, sports, news broadcasts, etc., without an issue until the stations changed to the digital broadcasts. Now I have a PERMANENT 5 bug burned into the screen! I just noticed it last week during the Masters broadcast.

Anyone else have an issue with the channel bugs burning in?

Engineers on the site - it seems there should be a simple fix. Any comments?

We've now changed the news that we watch - I now it serves little use, but it makes me feel better.

We were TV shopping before this happened, that it is now on hold as well. I'm not happy with this happening to a 10 yr old set, I would be pissed in this was a new set!
post #5723 of 6018 Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The probability of bug burn-in was discussed when bugs first appeared a number of years ago. The internet community was abuzz with requests for stations to either remove the bugs or at least make them faint like a light watermark. They didn't comply. In fact, some stations over did theirs to be very prominent. It was and still is a marketing technique to keep a station (brand) "in the consumer's eye" so to speak.

With all of the channels available, each channel is vying for recognition.

All CRT's are prone to this occurring. LCD's will do it too (to a lesser degree) but it is usually referred to as "image retention" since the image isn't really burned into phosphors (like on CRT's). Plasma sets also have burn-in.

Blame the stations - not the TVs. BTW, good thing you don't leave it tuned to one of the sub channel weather stations
post #5724 of 6018 Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM

It's time to step in to the 21st century. Get a new set, that thing is a dinosaur! That will never happen on a new set, LCD or Plasma. Burn-in is a thing of the past.
post #5725 of 6018 Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV_Duffus View Post

Anyone have this issue?

We have a Toshiba Rear Projection TV that is ~ 10 years old. The TV has managed to get thru 10 yrs of significant use, gaming, sports, news broadcasts, etc., without an issue until the stations changed to the digital broadcasts. Now I have a PERMANENT 5 bug burned into the screen! I just noticed it last week during the Masters broadcast.

Anyone else have an issue with the channel bugs burning in?

Engineers on the site - it seems there should be a simple fix. Any comments?

We've now changed the news that we watch - I now it serves little use, but it makes me feel better.

We were TV shopping before this happened, that it is now on hold as well. I'm not happy with this happening to a 10 yr old set, I would be pissed in this was a new set!

New TVs do not suffer from burn in. Burn in is NOT a reason to not buy a new TV.
post #5726 of 6018 Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
My 6 or 7 year old RCA RP set has the CNBC tickers burned into it. It's not bad enough to replace, though...
post #5727 of 6018 Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Just got the Netflix disk for the Wii and I am having a few problems. I've got the Wii hard connected to my home network and the Internet is AT&T DSL Extreme. I am getting dropout and jitters, and the speedtests I have run are all over the map. AT&T of course says there is nothing wrong with the connection, imagine that. This an a few other problems have prompted me to examine other Internet Options. COMCAST Business has a 16/2 service available. Does anyone have any experience they can share ?

I am in Bartlett, and understand that if you have good Comcast it's pretty good, but if you have old cable, the results are really bad....
post #5728 of 6018 Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got the Netflix disk for the Wii and I am having a few problems. I've got the Wii hard connected to my home network and the Internet is AT&T DSL Extreme. I am getting dropout and jitters, and the speedtests I have run are all over the map. AT&T of course says there is nothing wrong with the connection, imagine that. This an a few other problems have prompted me to examine other Internet Options. COMCAST Business has a 16/2 service available. Does anyone have any experience they can share ?

I am in Bartlett, and understand that if you have good Comcast it's pretty good, but if you have old cable, the results are really bad....

I just got the Wii disk the other day but haven't run it yet. I have had Comcast at our house since we moved in 7 years ago. I live near G-town/70 intersection. I'm getting the 6/1 service but it is still plenty fast.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #5729 of 6018 Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Blame the stations - not the TVs. BTW, good thing you don't leave it tuned to one of the sub channel weather stations [/quote]

Blaming the station is exactly what I was doing. It is utterly ridiculous for a TV that we still love to be ruined by a station simply to exaggerate their "brand".

Oh well, my one family boycott will continue.....
post #5730 of 6018 Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM

In my opinion, "that dinosaur" still outperforms any set we have placed beside it.

Still pi$$ed at WMC for ruining it!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page