Forum Jump: 

post #6001 of 6018 Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbburks View Post

I called Comcast today to try and get the price down (it went up again).

I was thinking of going CableCard and Tivo, but they told me they now have a multi-room DVR with more capacity. They gave me a good 12-month deal on that, and I'm going to try it. They have to come out to install it.

Has anyone else tried that?

Tried what? Believing Comcast? Nah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6018 Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM

I've been using a SageTV system and a Hauppauge PVR-350 to record SD video and burn it to DVDs. The whole story is here.

I've been using the TiVo to record HD video and burn it to DVDs. The whole story is here.

Here's the question. Today when I recorded SD video (channel 207 in Memphis Comcast) on the TiVo and transferred it to TiVo Desktop the resolution was 528x480. That's a non-standard DVD resolution and will require me to transcode to burn DVDs.

I presume that this resolution is pushed by Comcast. Why is Comcast using such an odd resolution?

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to get a standard DVD resolution without transcoding?
post #6003 of 6018 Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thomas View Post

I'd really like to hear how it goes for you as I'm considering doing the same thing. When you get it installed would you post back with how it's working and the model DVR etc you got.
Thanks

Sorry I don't check back often enough. I got the MR DVR and it works reasonably well, for Comcast. It's a Cisco RNG150N. Two tuners. Both rooms can view recordings. But inexplicably, only the room with the DVR can set or delete recordings. The remote can only view recorded or live. Can't even pause.

Quite stable.

But the external eSATA that worked well on the SA 8500 II doesn't work on this box, even though there is an eSATA connector.
post #6004 of 6018 Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Comcast Internet in BelMor subdivision (southwest of Hwy 305 and College Rd.) of Olive Branch has been down since Thursday 7/11 9:00AM. When you call into 800-COMCAST and enter your account # they say they are having "technical difficulties" in your area and give an estimate of when service will be available. They seem to just be moving that time forward.

Any idea what has happened?
post #6005 of 6018 Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

But the external eSATA that worked well on the SA 8500 II doesn't work on this box, even though there is an eSATA connector.

On page 12 of the RNG150N User Guide it says "Your cable service-provider may enable a feature that allows an external hard disk to work with your set-top." (emphasis added)
post #6006 of 6018 Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Sorry I don't check back often enough. I got the MR DVR and it works reasonably well, for Comcast. It's a Cisco RNG150N. Two tuners. Both rooms can view recordings. But inexplicably, only the room with the DVR can set or delete recordings. The remote can only view recorded or live. Can't even pause.

Quite stable.

Do you have just the one RNG150N and it works with both TVs? I'm not sure I really understand. Is that the DVR and Multi Room device?
post #6007 of 6018 Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post

Comcast Internet in BelMor subdivision (southwest of Hwy 305 and College Rd.) of Olive Branch has been down since Thursday 7/11 9:00AM. When you call into 800-COMCAST and enter your account # they say they are having "technical difficulties" in your area and give an estimate of when service will be available. They seem to just be moving that time forward.

Any idea what has happened?

My daughter's Comcast Internet in BelMor subdivision came back up the morning of Monday 7/15. Comcast told us that "Node Y54" had some cable modems blocked and that they have been having issues since 7/2. Speaking with neighbors several of them have had problems recently that were resolved after several days. I'd guess they have a block of ports down in that node and are moving people around when they call and complain.
post #6008 of 6018 Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thomas View Post

Do you have just the one RNG150N and it works with both TVs? I'm not sure I really understand. Is that the DVR and Multi Room device?

The RNG150N is the dual tuner DVR. There is another Cisco cable box that is the remote unit and has its own tuner. They are only connected via the home coax.
post #6009 of 6018 Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:

The RNG150N is the dual tuner DVR. There is another Cisco cable box that is the remote unit and has its own tuner. They are only connected via the home coax.
Thanks for the info, I think I'm getting the idea now of how it all works.
post #6010 of 6018 Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 PM

My cable has been up and down and my internet has been totally down for almost a week. Been getting the run around from customer support since the beginning. They either lie to me, ask stupid questions, or blame my setup. There used to be a regional office that I would go to complain to in person but I was told today that it has moved to Nashville. I really want some executive assistance with this matter.

From my own research I've determined that my return voltage is too high and that it's caused by a dirty line from outside of my apartment.
post #6011 of 6018 Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

My cable has been up and down and my internet has been totally down for almost a week. Been getting the run around from customer support since the beginning. They either lie to me, ask stupid questions, or blame my setup. There used to be a regional office that I would go to complain to in person but I was told today that it has moved to Nashville. I really want some executive assistance with this matter.

From my own research I've determined that my return voltage is too high and that it's caused by a dirty line from outside of my apartment.
Have you tried tweeting to @comcastcares?

If you know anybody that works for Comcast they can get you a "Make It Right" card with a direct # to call. They're not magic but at least it's somebody you can talk to and they will run the gauntlet that is Comcast Customer Service and Maintenance.
post #6012 of 6018 Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post

Have you tried tweeting to @comcastcares?

If you know anybody that works for Comcast they can get you a "Make It Right" card with a direct # to call. They're not magic but at least it's somebody you can talk to and they will run the gauntlet that is Comcast Customer Service and Maintenance.

I don't have a Twitter account. I wonder if one of the local bill pay offices has one of those cards.
post #6013 of 6018 Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 AM

So I am on dish and lost channel 5 because of the raycom deal, what antenna do I need to pick up 5 in collierville? I know they are on VHF vs. most being on UHF. Antenna web just shows yellow.
post #6014 of 6018 Old 08-03-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Channel 5 in Memphis operates on "real" channel 5 which often requires a wide VHF antenna. A small all-channel combo should work for your city.
post #6015 of 6018 Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
a regular old TV antenna, VHF-UHF is and was never obsolete and will work just fine tuning in todays TV stations.
why? well they many times are still broadcasting on the same old frequencies......a HD antenna is just a gimic......sales point like re-bait.
what might have changed is some stations have gone to UHF for good. but they have the ability to have your TV display the channel they
use to be on. a station really broadcasting on UHF channel 43 can be displaying channel 2.1 on your digital TV.
just be sure the older antenna has good clean wire connections.

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6016 of 6018 Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Comcast XFINITY On Demand is now available on TiVo Premiere and Roamio Series DVRs throughout the state of Tennessee.

http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable

------------
Signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6017 of 6018 Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Did anyone else get smaller guide in the Memphis area on Comcast today? It now looks to be 4:3 instead of 16:9. It shows up that way on my RNG150 and 8300HD boxes.

Last edited by Tom Thomas; 07-09-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #6018 of 6018 Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 PM

I've also found that now the Xfinity TV Go and TV Remote Apps work with both my RCG150 and 8300HD DVR. I can control each from my iPad, iPhone and computer. I can now set up recordings, change channels, access OnDemand content and access my DVR remotely where I couldn't do any of that before.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page