AVS Forum banner

Memphis, TN - HDTV

Tags
memphis wmc
621K views 6K replies 308 participants last post by  GrayHair 
#1 ·
Well, I got my TWC HDTV box 6 months ago and enjoy HBO HDTV: But when is TWC going to start showing the local HDTV channels on cable......It's football season ?????? Anyone got any info ??

Jerry

#5,027 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat57 /forum/post/12564422

Someone mentioned a 5 LNB dish. They installed a 3 LNB dish with my upgrade. I take it the 5 LNB is newer? Do you get better reception with the 5 LNB?

The newer dishes were first called 5 lnb but the new version of the 5 lnb's are called slimlines. Does your dish say slimline on it? Do you get local HD channels from D*? If yes to either one of those you have a slimline.

#5,029 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat57 /forum/post/12565950

My new dish does say "SlimLine" on it, but it looked like a 3 LNB to me. Guess I need to look more closely. Thanks for the correction.

It looks like this:

http://www.hometech.com/home/picshow...patible%20Dish

Yeah that's the newer dish, so you're covered.

The "old" 5 lnb's had a sidecar type thing with the other 2 lnb's. D* figured out a way to make it aesthetically better looking. It is easy to get the slimline and 3 lnb confused. They do look similar. If you turned the slimline around, you will see there are still other slots for lnb's.

#5,030 ·
So the Pats game Saturday night will be on 3 channels, NFL Network, WREG, and WMC. Which one will you be watching?

I'll be watching NFL Network. Although it still suffers from motion blocking, it's not near the amount of WREG and the massive amount on WMC.

#5,032 ·
Wow! I was not aware of this simulcast until now. This is the first-ever three-network simulcast of a live NFL game, and the first simulcast of any kind since Super Bowl I in 1967, which was broadcast by both CBS and NBC, according to Adweek.

Since I don't have access to NFL Network, so I will have to choose between WREG and WMC. I usually get better OTA reception of WREG, so...we'll see.

#5,033 ·
NFL Net for me, but I may flip around to see which has the best PQ.

#5,038 ·
I had a similar incident with WREG on New Year's Day. I unplugged the unit, waited a while, replugged it and it came back.

I've had similar incidents since I got my HD receiver. A couple of times I called the Comcast number and had it send a signal to reset the box, rebooted and it worked fine again.

MrBill

#5,039 ·
Did ya'll hear about the problem Comcast had Tuesday morning? As the news says, someone was celebrating the new year and shot their gun a few times, apparently hit a line or something, and knocked out tv and internet service to a few thousand people Tuesday morning.

Only in Memphis....

#5,040 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxfaninTN /forum/post/12320975

This may be the complete wrong place to ask this, but does anyone have Dish HD?? I am thinking about upgrading now that I have an HD TV, but my wife is worried about the costs (we're young and planning kids, so money is sort of tight).... Just curious what the upgrade costs are, and what a "normal" monthly bill might be. I know it's $10 a mo. for their HD package, but the upgrade cost has alluded me so far. We have dish right now, so I'd threaten to switch if it would force their hand. My issue is I HAVE to get an HD DVR. We can live w/ OTA HD local programming for a while, but I don't think I'd survive more than a couple days without my DVR.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light for me so that I don't have to call and deal w/ some idiot csr from Dish network.

I left comcast Hd to go to dish HD. I have been very pleased with it. you can record the OTA channels on your DVR from Dish. My only complaint on that is that the signal is a little weaker through the DVR than direct connect to the TV. another bonus with Dish HD DVR is if you use an OTA antenna you essentially have a three tuner DVR. You can record on 2 dish channels at the same time and also record over the antenna. you also get one box but two TVs can be watched on it. But only the main TV is HD.

Picture quality is way better than comcast and IMHO slightly better than Dirctv. I prefer the customer support with Dish over Direct and definatly over comcast. Dish will have the Memphis locals on their system in the first half of 2008 (rumor is first quarter). they have a new sat going up which means way more HD channels. Dish says they try not to add until the channel is tru HD, but the History channel HD shows that aint always true.

I found the prices are comparable no matter which Sat comapny you go with. Over all they both beat Comcast. Just an FYI, i have the top 180 with locals and HD and only pay $45 with $20 a month in rebates. So $65 a month. and to make it even better I get Cinamax for 1 cent a year for the next three years by signing up for autopay on my credit card and paperless billing. They do not advertise this but it is there if you ask.

Goods luck with whatever you choose.

#5,041 ·
Wednesday night I set my DTV dvr to record the new 2 hours of Law and Order. When I started to play the recording the last 20 minutes of hour 2 was playing and then went into what should have been hour1. At the end of that complete show the message was to delete or save although the recorder showed a full 2 hours. Did anyone else have this problem or did anyone watch these programs live. I don't know if it was a channel 5 problem, and NBC feed or dvr, but I don't see how the dvr could have recorded the end of a program first. Very weird.

#5,042 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsim /forum/post/12679086

Wednesday night I set my DTV dvr to record the new 2 hours of Law and Order. When I started to play the recording the last 20 minutes of hour 2 was playing and then went into what should have been hour1. At the end of that complete show the message was to delete or save although the recorder showed a full 2 hours. Did anyone else have this problem or did anyone watch these programs live. I don't know if it was a channel 5 problem, and NBC feed or dvr, but I don't see how the dvr could have recorded the end of a program first. Very weird.

Sounds like a DVR problem to me. I have had similar happen when I had a comcast DVR. Remember a DVR is essentially a computer and hard drive. It will do what it wants when it wants, lol.

#5,045 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawreth /forum/post/12729419

Does anyone know when local channels will be in High Def through Dish Network in Memphis?

No time soon, I fear. They just announced the next 11 locations and Knoxville is there, but no Memphis.

#5,046 ·
Man, I went back tonight and read the first couple of pages of this thread.....we sure were willing to put with alot of trouble and expense to get HD OTA back then!! But sounds like we were getting alot better PQ and service as well...............

I have been without HD since before we moved over a year ago....haven't put up an amp, sold my HD-TiVo as D* really was getting to me, and my E86 appears to have burnt out............

Things were so much more fun in the OTA HD world 5 something years ago!!!

Was good to see some familiar names still hanging around though!!

#5,047 ·
Yah dirk! The difficult thing is for the many new visitors here to stay focused with the 169 pages of this thread. It would be nice to have a mod or group thereof quickly run through the thread and delete any posts known to be off focus or stating nothing that supports the topic or provide insights as to the reception of HDTV. I don't want to eliminate current conversations, but some of 3-5 year old stuff could be weeded out and probably 80-90% deleted to make this a better thread (and cut out 100+ pages.)

I am sure many of you see the pile of old equipment laying around your home like I do. I am glad I didn't buy one of the expensive first models of HDTV as technology and supply catching up with demand has sure made it a lot easier to get into these days.

It seems Dish will continue to provide HD locals only OTA. I don't mind as they all come in great where I live. Same reception situations typically apply to me as the other contributors here. I believe my picture quality is better than friends of mine who have comcast or DirectTV.

#5,048 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 /forum/post/12759120

Man, I went back tonight and read the first couple of pages of this thread.....we sure were willing to put with alot of trouble and expense to get HD OTA back then!! But sounds like we were getting alot better PQ and service as well...............

I have been without HD since before we moved over a year ago....haven't put up an amp, sold my HD-TiVo as D* really was getting to me, and my E86 appears to have burnt out............

Nationally yes, locally, no. A few years ago not all of the stations that multicasts currently did.

Man, how can you do it without HD?

#5,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysguy /forum/post/12764798

Yah dirk! The difficult thing is for the many new visitors here to stay focused with the 169 pages of this thread. It would be nice to have a mod or group thereof quickly run through the thread and delete any posts known to be off focus or stating nothing that supports the topic or provide insights as to the reception of HDTV. I don't want to eliminate current conversations, but some of 3-5 year old stuff could be weeded out and probably 80-90% deleted to make this a better thread (and cut out 100+ pages.)

I am sure many of you see the pile of old equipment laying around your home like I do. I am glad I didn't buy one of the expensive first models of HDTV as technology and supply catching up with demand has sure made it a lot easier to get into these days.

I agree with what you are saying, but it would take a very long time to clean this thread up. Since there is a much lower amount of people reading this thread I don't think it is a big deal if someone asks a question that has already been asked and answered many times before. That's just my .02.

I got my first HDTV in January 2003. At $1800 for a 42" RPTV it wasn't that bad, until 4 months later the price dropped $300!
I have a 30" Sharp Aquos LCD bought in May 2003 that to my knowledge they haven't made that size in a while, which I bought open box for $3500. I could get a whole house full of HDTV's for that price! My first E86 cost $699. I have since bought 2 more for $39 each from ebay.

That was back when I had money.
Now daycare has all of it.

#5,050 ·
mx6bfast, you have provided many contributions to this thread and have often posted thoughts similar to what I thought about saying. Amazing what you have for a track-record in HDTV! I followed this thread for a couple years before joining here.

I have played the cheapo game, my first HDTV was an Infocus X1 connected by a computer monitor cable to a DirectTV RCA DT100 (I am pretty sure that was it) and I limped along on that for a couple years before upgrading to a 720P projector and Dishnetwork HD sub. Remember how exciting it used to be to watch PBS programming as most of the network stuff wasn't HD?