Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 6040 Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklk1973 View Post
I bet both networks will look lovely when something moves on the screen.
plenty of small markets do 2 HD channels on one RF station with no issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6040 Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
plenty of small markets do 2 HD channels on one RF station with no issues
How is that possible since those that have 1 HD cannel and 1 SD sub channel can't broadcast real HD on their supposedly HD channel?
post #6033 of 6040 Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
How is that possible since those that have 1 HD cannel and 1 SD sub channel can't broadcast real HD on their supposedly HD channel?
there are plenty of stations that broadcast 2 HD signals and a SD with no issues
list
http://rabbitears.info/oddsandends.php?request=dualhd

best example was the ABC O&O's that ran ABC and Live Well in HD (and a SD Live Well)
Now with the FCC cracking down on stations owning more than 1 of the Big 4 in small markets what happens is the owner buys everything but the transmitter/license then moves everything to the subchannel of the station they own

Gray is doing it in Nebraska & North Dakota
Sinclair is doing it in a few markets

In small markets its a necessity. Great example is Sherman, TX/Ada, OK. 2 stations carrying all 6 nets
12-1 CBS HD
12-2 My SD
12-3 FOX HD

10-1 NBC HD
10-2 CW SD
10-3 ABC
post #6034 of 6040 Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
there are plenty of stations that broadcast 2 HD signals and a SD with no issues
list
http://rabbitears.info/oddsandends.php?request=dualhd
In Beaumont TX, KBMT has three HD subchannels:

Quote:
KBMT (BEAUMONT, TX)
Variable Bit Rate
12-1 (720p) (9.35 Mbps) KBMT-A ABC
12-2 (720p) (7.95 Mbps) K-JAC NBC
12-3 (720p) (0 Mbps) COZI TV
12-4 (480i) (3.9 Mbps) Me-TV
http://rabbitears.info/market.php?re...=10150#station

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #6035 of 6040 Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, so I assume HD in that context means 16:9 picture. It surely can't mean 100% HD quality. Haven't seen that locally (Memphis) since our stations started broadcasting sub channels and decreased the bandwidth for the main channel.
post #6036 of 6040 Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Ok, so I assume HD in that context means 16:9 picture. It surely can't mean 100% HD quality. Haven't seen that locally (Memphis) since our stations started broadcasting sub channels and decreased the bandwidth for the main channel.
subchannels usually are given minimal bandwidth to not affect the main station

HD can be conscrewed many different ways. 16:9 and 720p or 1080i I guess they consider HD.

A GREAT example of supposed "HD" is my local ABC affiliate, KSTP Minneapolis, MN
They have one subchannel (Heroes & Icons...was Live Well) but their pic looks like HELL! Why?
They have almost half of their bandwidth for that (my opinion) stupid mobile TV.
They are robbing their HD station bandwidth because of Mobile TV so sports looks like crap.

Also Our Fox & My affiliates are O&O. Fox is on RF9 and My is on RF29. Well folks with indoor antennas have issues with RF9 so they put Fox on RF29. So we have 2 HD stations (and a SD) on RF29 and it looks fine.
9-1 FOX HD
9-2 MY HD
(they still use RF9 as Fox for the folks with outdoor antennas so FOx is on TWO stations...smartest thing they did? The one from RF9 logs as 9-9 not to confuse the PSIP)
post #6037 of 6040 Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
HD can be conscrewed many different ways. 16:9 and 720p or 1080i I guess they consider HD.
Ok, so we are just talking about picture size. To me real HD is the full uncompressed image using all of the bandwidth a station has (1 broadcast station). If you ever see a real HD station you'll immediately see the difference. It's truly like looking out a window and has "depth" to it.
post #6038 of 6040 Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

I am aware of it. Minneapolis has one (WCCO CBS O&O). They havent added the new station Decades yet
post #6039 of 6040 Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm dropping DirecTV as of September 13th and moving to an all streaming solution. I just purchased a Samsung JS9500 and thought I'd check this thread for a recommendation on indoor antennas. The TV is not near any windows so I can't use one of those antennas you hang in a window. I do have line of site to a window. I wasn't sure if I could just hang the antenna on a wall and aim it towards the window, etc. 3 & 5 are primarily what I'll need it for and really that's just for news and special events. Pretty much everything else TV show wise I can pick up on Hulu or other avenues. I just want to be able to check out the news & weather during a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6040 of 6040 Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscallions View Post
I'm dropping DirecTV as of September 13th and moving to an all streaming solution. I just purchased a Samsung JS9500 and thought I'd check this thread for a recommendation on indoor antennas. The TV is not near any windows so I can't use one of those antennas you hang in a window. I do have line of site to a window. I wasn't sure if I could just hang the antenna on a wall and aim it towards the window, etc. 3 & 5 are primarily what I'll need it for and really that's just for news and special events. Pretty much everything else TV show wise I can pick up on Hulu or other avenues. I just want to be able to check out the news & weather during a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm using rabbit ears on the back of the TV and works fine in Bartlett, even for the problem child Ch. 5. If you can get to a South facing window, it will be better.

KC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page