Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 6060 Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklk1973 View Post
I bet both networks will look lovely when something moves on the screen.
plenty of small markets do 2 HD channels on one RF station with no issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6060 Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
plenty of small markets do 2 HD channels on one RF station with no issues
How is that possible since those that have 1 HD cannel and 1 SD sub channel can't broadcast real HD on their supposedly HD channel?
post #6033 of 6060 Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
How is that possible since those that have 1 HD cannel and 1 SD sub channel can't broadcast real HD on their supposedly HD channel?
there are plenty of stations that broadcast 2 HD signals and a SD with no issues
list
http://rabbitears.info/oddsandends.php?request=dualhd

best example was the ABC O&O's that ran ABC and Live Well in HD (and a SD Live Well)
Now with the FCC cracking down on stations owning more than 1 of the Big 4 in small markets what happens is the owner buys everything but the transmitter/license then moves everything to the subchannel of the station they own

Gray is doing it in Nebraska & North Dakota
Sinclair is doing it in a few markets

In small markets its a necessity. Great example is Sherman, TX/Ada, OK. 2 stations carrying all 6 nets
12-1 CBS HD
12-2 My SD
12-3 FOX HD

10-1 NBC HD
10-2 CW SD
10-3 ABC
post #6034 of 6060 Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
there are plenty of stations that broadcast 2 HD signals and a SD with no issues
list
http://rabbitears.info/oddsandends.php?request=dualhd
In Beaumont TX, KBMT has three HD subchannels:

Quote:
KBMT (BEAUMONT, TX)
Variable Bit Rate
12-1 (720p) (9.35 Mbps) KBMT-A ABC
12-2 (720p) (7.95 Mbps) K-JAC NBC
12-3 (720p) (0 Mbps) COZI TV
12-4 (480i) (3.9 Mbps) Me-TV
http://rabbitears.info/market.php?re...=10150#station

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #6035 of 6060 Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, so I assume HD in that context means 16:9 picture. It surely can't mean 100% HD quality. Haven't seen that locally (Memphis) since our stations started broadcasting sub channels and decreased the bandwidth for the main channel.
post #6036 of 6060 Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Ok, so I assume HD in that context means 16:9 picture. It surely can't mean 100% HD quality. Haven't seen that locally (Memphis) since our stations started broadcasting sub channels and decreased the bandwidth for the main channel.
subchannels usually are given minimal bandwidth to not affect the main station

HD can be conscrewed many different ways. 16:9 and 720p or 1080i I guess they consider HD.

A GREAT example of supposed "HD" is my local ABC affiliate, KSTP Minneapolis, MN
They have one subchannel (Heroes & Icons...was Live Well) but their pic looks like HELL! Why?
They have almost half of their bandwidth for that (my opinion) stupid mobile TV.
They are robbing their HD station bandwidth because of Mobile TV so sports looks like crap.

Also Our Fox & My affiliates are O&O. Fox is on RF9 and My is on RF29. Well folks with indoor antennas have issues with RF9 so they put Fox on RF29. So we have 2 HD stations (and a SD) on RF29 and it looks fine.
9-1 FOX HD
9-2 MY HD
(they still use RF9 as Fox for the folks with outdoor antennas so FOx is on TWO stations...smartest thing they did? The one from RF9 logs as 9-9 not to confuse the PSIP)
post #6037 of 6060 Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
HD can be conscrewed many different ways. 16:9 and 720p or 1080i I guess they consider HD.
Ok, so we are just talking about picture size. To me real HD is the full uncompressed image using all of the bandwidth a station has (1 broadcast station). If you ever see a real HD station you'll immediately see the difference. It's truly like looking out a window and has "depth" to it.
post #6038 of 6060 Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I am aware of it. Minneapolis has one (WCCO CBS O&O). They havent added the new station Decades yet
post #6039 of 6060 Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm dropping DirecTV as of September 13th and moving to an all streaming solution. I just purchased a Samsung JS9500 and thought I'd check this thread for a recommendation on indoor antennas. The TV is not near any windows so I can't use one of those antennas you hang in a window. I do have line of site to a window. I wasn't sure if I could just hang the antenna on a wall and aim it towards the window, etc. 3 & 5 are primarily what I'll need it for and really that's just for news and special events. Pretty much everything else TV show wise I can pick up on Hulu or other avenues. I just want to be able to check out the news & weather during a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6040 of 6060 Old 09-03-2015, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscallions View Post
I'm dropping DirecTV as of September 13th and moving to an all streaming solution. I just purchased a Samsung JS9500 and thought I'd check this thread for a recommendation on indoor antennas. The TV is not near any windows so I can't use one of those antennas you hang in a window. I do have line of site to a window. I wasn't sure if I could just hang the antenna on a wall and aim it towards the window, etc. 3 & 5 are primarily what I'll need it for and really that's just for news and special events. Pretty much everything else TV show wise I can pick up on Hulu or other avenues. I just want to be able to check out the news & weather during a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm using rabbit ears on the back of the TV and works fine in Bartlett, even for the problem child Ch. 5. If you can get to a South facing window, it will be better.

KC
post #6041 of 6060 Old 11-17-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
From a private message I received:

Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson
I see that you're quite active on the forum and very savvy when it comes to DTV, hence a question for you since you're in Memphis (a market I know fairly well since I lived many miles up I-40 in Na$hVega$ and used to visit the Bluff City frequently).

When the DTV transition happened, WTVF (also on RF-5) found itself in dire straits and quickly fired up a UHF translator and then successfully applied for a full facility on RF-25. They still operate on RF-5 which now serves as a translator.

Re-reading the Memphis forum, it seems that WMC-TV didn't have the significant problems that faced WTVF when they moved to their original low-VHF analog channel for digital. What are your thoughts about why WMC-TV seems to have been successful on RF-5 whereas its co-channel cousin up I-40 failed?
I have cable, so I couldn't tell. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #6042 of 6060 Old 11-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks James for taking this from PM to the larger forum.

It will be interesting to see what Memphians think about the relative success of WMC-TV compared to WTVF for OTA viewers. One stab that I'll hazard is that, unlike Nashville, there's a common antenna farm on the eastern side of the county making antenna aiming far easier. In Nashville, the transmitters are all over the compass. That plus the terrain has always made OTA something of a struggle. When cable did arrive in the 70s (Viacom at the time), I saw antennas coming down in my neighborhood by the dozens since seemingly everyone wanted to get wired not so much for the premium content but just to get the locals reliably.
post #6043 of 6060 Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have both cable and use over the air.

I can tell you that I have a much harder time getting both 5 & 13 after they went digital. Ch 13 took some action that helped by going to a circular polarized antenna but ch 5 is pretty touchy. I am not right under their antenna and someone really close might not see the differences.

On my battery powered portable TV (used for bad WX and power outages) it's impossible to watch either station. I'm near Downtown and suffer very badly from multi-path on UHF signals and they still work better than 5.
Today you wouldn't easily know about the multi-path but I was in the same place during analog TV so I know it's there. UHF analog was tough to watch on rabbit ears it was so bad but with enough wiggling around they decode in digital.
post #6044 of 6060 Old 06-14-2016, 08:59 AM

It's been a while since I've been in these forums. I'm trying to help a family member in Collierville decide which indoor TV antenna she should use. In past time there was a "sticky" that led to a chart showing comparison among several antennas --indoor as well as outdoor. But, I can't find that now.

Here is the TVFool result;

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb82f0418a2d

So;
A.) anyone know where the "sticky" went ?
B) any suggestions about indoor antennas (she said "no" to outdoor) used in Collierville/Piperton. Her true concern getting ch.3 news reliably.
C.) The TV is in a rarely used bedroom.

Thanks.
Kelly
post #6045 of 6060 Old 06-16-2016, 01:25 PM

If you go the Indoor route, I've been using a Mohu 30 with very good results Here in Bartlett. Ch 3 should be no problem, Ch. 5 is the low power VHF-Lo signal that is challenging for some.

KC
post #6046 of 6060 Old 06-17-2016, 06:06 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfcosby View Post
If you go the Indoor route, I've been using a Mohu 30 with very good results Here in Bartlett. Ch 3 should be no problem, Ch. 5 is the low power VHF-Lo signal that is challenging for some.

KC
I hope I don't get too technical here but Ch 5 is a full power TV station. It is not low power. The MOHU is an antenna designed to receive UHF channels only. If it were a UHF channel at the same power it would be considered low power.

Ch 5 operates around 77 Mhz where 1 wavelength of the signal is approximately 12.77 feet. A tuned 1/4 wave dipole at that frequency 38.33 inches (you need 2 dipoles for it to work) so as you see the MOHU is not going to work very well at all for Ch5 or even Ch13 just like those little stubby antennas on many cars do not work well for FM reception.

This is what an antenna designed to pick up Ch 5 will look like.
http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital..._p/cm-3016.htm

You can't cheat physics but if you are close enough to their transmitter you may be able to Pick up Ch5 with a compromised antenna as you are currently doing.
post #6047 of 6060 Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 AM

Miklk1973, good description regarding TV-5 reception.
Kfcosby; an indoor antenna is/was the only solution she (the family member in Collierville/Piperton) was considering.

You've seen the TV Fool results already.
I told her to try a traditional old-school set of rabbit ear antennas. I knew that she had used these previously when they lived on Canada road, back in analog days. And,.... there was pretty good chance she would still have them around. If not, a new set wouldn't be expensive ---- she really liked that! As I told her, try it this way; a.) look for the rabbit ears you may still have, b.) failing that try a set of unamplified rabbit ears for less than $20. c.) failing that, then go for some more involved and more expensive. But, her solution doesn't need to be "new", it probably doesn't need to be "digital", and certainly doesn't need to be costly.

I'm waiting to her back from her on the results.

Thanks everyone for your help.
KellyB
post #6048 of 6060 Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoswell View Post
Kfcosby; an indoor antenna is/was the only solution she (the family member in Collierville/Piperton) was considering.

I told her to try a traditional old-school set of rabbit ear antennas. I knew that she had used these previously when they lived on Canada road, back in analog days. And,.... there was pretty good chance she would still have them around. If not, a new set wouldn't be expensive ---- she really liked that! As I told her, try it this way; a.) look for the rabbit ears you may still have, b.) failing that try a set of unamplified rabbit ears for less than $20. c.) failing that, then go for some more involved and more expensive. But, her solution doesn't need to be "new", it probably doesn't need to be "digital", and certainly doesn't need to be costly.

KellyB
There is no such thing as a "digital" or "HD" Antenna.
This is a label put on the same old antenna to generate a higher price or new sales. It's the same antenna everyone else has used since the 1950's to pick up TV signals.

Please come back and let us know how rabbit ears do out there. She will want to sue the type with the Rabbit ears extended out fully and the Loop or square for the UHF channels (everything but 5 & 13 is transmitted on UHF including 3 & 10).

I am in Midtown and use a huge Channel Master UHF only in my attic with fairly good results.
post #6049 of 6060 Old 07-16-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoswell View Post

KellyB
I live in Collierville and can get channel three with rabit ears. 5 and 13 have been hard to get, I had to move to a wineguard freevision mounted outside 10 feet off of the ground on an old dish mount.

Attic mounting a larger antenna may be your best bet if they don't have the reflective roof insulation.
post #6050 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OTA Channel Confusion

We decided to cut the cord and ditch cable. I went and purchased an antenna, but my Samsung UN55D8000 seems to be confusing two of the OTA channels.

Here is what is happening...

WJKT comes in on channel 16-1 on the TV. This is the local FOX station. The channel I'm having trouble with is 39-1 which is WNBJ the local NBC affiliate. When I auto program 39-1 is not picked up. The interesting thing is that when I try to manually enter 39-1 with my remote, it redirects to 16-1. What is going on here? I have a feeling that it has to do with the real vs virtual channels of these stations being flip flopped, but I don't know anything about how that works.

Here is a link to rabbitears.info for my area.

rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=68519

I appreciate any ideas about what is happening or how I may be able to fix it.
post #6051 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well since we dont know exactly where you are its hard to give good advice. There is a sticky at the top of the forum with some info
Mandatory read *** before *** posting

But for starters, yes it is right. NBC is on RF16 maps to 39 and FOX is on RF39 maps to 16. But NBC is low powered (whereas PBS, ABC and FOX are full power) so again since we did not get as much info as we needed to help (not to be a dink but dont care what TV you have...need to know what antenna you have. Is it indoor or outdoor...how high up...etc).

As is noted in the link above it mentions to post in the section where you are located. SInce there isnt a Jackson, TN specific forum I dont know how DrDon (staff) will do this. I've posted any Jackson things in the Memphis thread (as there are people who get both Memphis and Jackson they usually help). Here is the direct link to the Memphis thread
Memphis, TN - HDTV

But first we need a tvfool and what type of antenna you are using
post #6052 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Also, I have a Mohu 30 antenna mounted in my attic.

store.gomohu.com/leaf-30-indoor-hdtv-antenna.html
post #6053 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

here is the quick link for other members to see
http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrappe...e2cb819c2639a3

you're pretty close to the towers so really any antenna should work. What type of antenna are you using?

You mentioning when you typed in 39-1 it went to 16 is going to make it harder as I assume typing in 16-1 also puts it on FOX 16?
post #6054 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Yes, 16-1 is FOX but 39-1 goes there too... but 39-1 is not in the lineup when browsing channels or when auto programming. Signal strength should definitely not be the issue.

Mohu 30 antenna mounted in the attic.
post #6055 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I would suggest maybe trying and move the antenna and rescan to see if 39 (NBC) comes in. Being 7 miles away and not getting it is unusual. But its 1edge which means the signal bounces off 1 thing before it gets to you. I learned with 1 and 2edge you have to fiddle with the antenna. I use to have my antenna as high up on the pole as I could. Then we got a low powered station (I'm in Minneapolis, MN) that for me is 1edge. Couldn't get it. Lowered the antenna 12-13 inches on the mast and now have a great signal.
post #6056 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Stupid question but do you get 27 (WYJJ?)
post #6057 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Stupid question but do you get 27 (WYJJ?)
No
post #6058 of 6060 Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm that's only 4 miles from you. I would try and move the antenna to another spot and see if that helps
post #6059 of 6060 Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Moved to Memphis thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6060 of 6060 Old 09-22-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklk1973 View Post
There is no such thing as a "digital" or "HD" Antenna.
This is a label put on the same old antenna to generate a higher price or new sales. It's the same antenna everyone else has used since the 1950's to pick up TV signals.

Please come back and let us know how rabbit ears do out there. She will want to sue the type with the Rabbit ears extended out fully and the Loop or square for the UHF channels (everything but 5 & 13 is transmitted on UHF including 3 & 10).

I am in Midtown and use a huge Channel Master UHF only in my attic with fairly good results.
----------------
I just recently heard back from the family member in the Collierville/Piperton area. She indeed went with the typical amplified set-top "rabbit ears" style antenna. And, most importantly, she can receive the station she was most interested in --channel 3.

Short answer is ---- she is happy with the result. And if she's happy, I've leaving it ALONE. hahahaha

thanks again everyone for your help.
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page