Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6061 of 6076 Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I live about 10 miles WNW of Memphis (I don't have enough posts to post a link so I will give the part after the frontslash: ?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3ddfaf24593877d 4 ). I currently have Directv with 3 televisions. I also have Directv Now. I want to get rid of the satellite service but still need to get the local networks on all three televisions.

I hope to get the following channels listed in order of importance:

NBC - WMC - 5.1 (VHF-Lo)
CBS - WREG - 3.1 (UHF)
Fox - WHBQ - 13.1 (VHF-High)
ABC - WATN - 24.1 (UHF)
PBS - WKNO - 10.1 (UHF)
CW - WLMT - 30.1 (UHF)

I can mount an antenna in a 2nd story unfinished bonus room above my garage. It faces ENE at about 85°. It would be about 18' above ground with no tall structures or trees in sight.
I understand that anything below the roof is less than optimal, but its a risk I'm willing to take. If all else fails, I'll just keep the satellite service.

3 televisions with 30' - 50' runs.

I will consider any indoor models as long as they would work in all three rooms.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6076 Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So I show this as your tvfool

http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrappe...dfaf24593877d4

You should be OK with any small outdoor antenna. The key thing is as you noted you need VHF Low for WMC. Most antennas nowadays are VHF Hi/UHF. I dont know if a VHF Hi/UHF would work well but being only 20-25 miles away it may work (I dont have any VHF Low here in Minneapolis so can't comment)

An outdoor antenna will beat an indoor antenna any day of the week. You shouldnt need a pre-amp although it may not hurt depending on the cable runs you will need.

Something like these would work and have VHF Low/Hi and UHF
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=CM-2018
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=CM-3016

Hopefully someone in the area can help with what works there (especially on WMC)
OddTech likes this.
post #6063 of 6076 Old 01-05-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
So I show this as your tvfool

You should be OK with any small outdoor antenna. The key thing is as you noted you need VHF Low for WMC. Most antennas nowadays are VHF Hi/UHF. I dont know if a VHF Hi/UHF would work well but being only 20-25 miles away it may work (I dont have any VHF Low here in Minneapolis so can't comment)

An outdoor antenna will beat an indoor antenna any day of the week. You shouldnt need a pre-amp although it may not hurt depending on the cable runs you will need.

Something like these would work and have VHF Low/Hi and UHF

Hopefully someone in the area can help with what works there (especially on WMC)
Thanks for your reply. And yes, that is the correct link I see that WMC recommends these two:

GE 24734 Millennium HDTV TV Antenna - (hoop and rabbit ears)
Channel Master CM-3016

With little hope of it working, I did order the GE 24737. Three of those would save me time/money. If it doesn't work, at least it was inexpensive and I'll pass it on to someone in need. Even if it does work, I doubt my wife will be pleased with the rabbit ears in the living room.

I guess I'm just hoping someone found a magical device or new technology that just works in the Memphis area.

post #6064 of 6076 Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddTech View Post
...hoping someone found a magical device or new technology that just works in the Memphis area.
Nope.... TV reception hasn't really changed in 60+ years. Your best bet, albeit a lot of work, would be a CM -3016 in the attic (outdoors would be better, but not necessary as close as you are) with a pre-amp and splitter to run cable to all 3 locations. Drop the cable from the attic into a wall outlet, and the wife won't see any antenna or wires anywhere. Note: I don't mean an AC outlet. You'll need to install a new box and cover just for the coax connection.

I'm across the river 90 miles from the Memphis transmitters so I require a huge antenna way up in the air (45ft), a pre-amp and just the right weather conditions to get a good signal.
OddTech likes this.
post #6065 of 6076 Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. And yes, that is the correct link I see that WMC recommends these two:

GE 24734 Millennium HDTV TV Antenna - (hoop and rabbit ears)
Channel Master CM-3016

With little hope of it working, I did order the GE 24737. Three of those would save me time/money. If it doesn't work, at least it was inexpensive and I'll pass it on to someone in need. Even if it does work, I doubt my wife will be pleased with the rabbit ears in the living room.

I guess I'm just hoping someone found a magical device or new technology that just works in the Memphis area.
The GE 24734 Millennium HDTV TV Antenna finally arrived yesterday. Hooked it up and scanned channels multiple times with the antenna in multiple configurations.

Could get all channels I wanted plus some reliably except for 5.1 and 13.1. Sometimes 13.1 would come in fine, but activity around the tv could easily disrupt it. Could not get 5.1 at all.

So, time to gather money and get motivated to order an outdoor antenna for the attic.
post #6066 of 6076 Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
WMC-TV OTA Problem

I've noticed the past couple of weeks WMC-TV 5.1 having lots of signal dropouts. I'm seeing steady state signal @ 80 (out of 100) and then suddenly I'll get a dropout. Doesn't last but for a split second, just enough to cause me heartburn and my wife to complain. It's happening on all of my TV's and all other channels are fine. I am 5½ miles from the XMTR and the antenna is pointed directly on the heading using an old 5 element FM, (yeah I know it's not properly tuned, but consider then distance.)

Anybody else having this trouble or have any suggestions I may not have thought about.

KC
post #6067 of 6076 Old 03-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Crosby View Post
WMC-TV OTA Problem

I've noticed the past couple of weeks WMC-TV 5.1 having lots of signal dropouts. I'm seeing steady state signal @ 80 (out of 100) and then suddenly I'll get a dropout. Doesn't last but for a split second, just enough to cause me heartburn and my wife to complain. It's happening on all of my TV's and all other channels are fine. I am 5½ miles from the XMTR and the antenna is pointed directly on the heading using an old 5 element FM, (yeah I know it's not properly tuned, but consider then distance.)

Anybody else having this trouble or have any suggestions I may not have thought about.

KC
I'm no expert but just recently set up my OTA system. I switched from DirecTV. After I had everything set up, I wired all three tvs into splitter. Went to check main tv and all worked fine, but had problem you describe on 5, 10, and 13. I spent a few minutes trying to fix it, then realized I had the two spare tv's direct tv equipment still attached. I went and unhooked their boxes and ran coax into those tvs. Went back and checked all three tvs and problem was solved.

So, not knowing how long yours worked fine before dropouts or any equipment you have in your system between antenna and each tv; I suggest checking each connection from antenna to each tv and splitter.

Hope you get it fixed.
post #6068 of 6076 Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm no expert but just recently set up my OTA system. I switched from DirecTV. After I had everything set up, I wired all three tvs into splitter. Went to check main tv and all worked fine, but had problem you describe on 5, 10, and 13. I spent a few minutes trying to fix it, then realized I had the two spare tv's direct tv equipment still attached. I went and unhooked their boxes and ran coax into those tvs. Went back and checked all three tvs and problem was solved.

So, not knowing how long yours worked fine before dropouts or any equipment you have in your system between antenna and each tv; I suggest checking each connection from antenna to each tv and splitter.

Hope you get it fixed.
This one really has me scratching my head. I've tried bypassing the splitter and so far nothing works. Either my antenna is in a null of some sort or there is a UFO buried around here.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kevin
post #6069 of 6076 Old 04-19-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Looks like Comcast is starting to downrez 1080i to 720p on some stations.
post #6070 of 6076 Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
got some examples?
post #6071 of 6076 Old 04-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I doubt it. 720p actually takes more bandwidth than 1080i, and cable companies are all about reduced bandwidth so they can cram more channels into the available space.

They are more likely cutting the bit-rate using a compression algorithm rather than changing resolution.
post #6072 of 6076 Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklk1973 View Post
got some examples?
amc
post #6073 of 6076 Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil L View Post
I doubt it. 720p actually takes more bandwidth than 1080i, and cable companies are all about reduced bandwidth so they can cram more channels into the available space.

They are more likely cutting the bit-rate using a compression algorithm rather than changing resolution.
They are going to do both probably. And when it comes to MPEG 2/4 compression 1080i takes more bandwith.
post #6074 of 6076 Old 04-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
amc
looks like we can expect more of it based on this post.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channel...f/td-p/2825763
post #6075 of 6076 Old 05-07-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklk1973 View Post
looks like we can expect more of it based on this post.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channel...f/td-p/2825763
HBO is 720 now. DirecTV here I come.
post #6076 of 6076 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HBO is 720 now. DirecTV here I come.
Anyone who has Comcast "HD" can complain here: