Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 6018 Old 10-13-2004, 08:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As mentioned before, there's something funky about channel 24's signal that causes some tuners (the HD Tivo, and unfortunately apparently yours) to freak out. It looks just fine on my Samsung 360, but the "signal strength" meter jumps around constantly like crazy, from 65 to 0 to 30 several times per minute, so there's clearly something weird in their signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 05:32 AM

Yea, I tempted to take a antenna to Circuit City and hook it up to there Display model and see if it does the same thing I think they will work with me on this if I tell them if I can't figure out for sure if it is the channel or the tuner I'm bring it back for a replacement. Sounds like it is the Channel but I would love to know for sure. To bad no one at the forum that lives in the Memphis area has seen this that has a Plasma model like mine. However the more I read here the more it seems like it is a Broadcast problem and not the TV but Still won't be happy until I know for sure...LOL
post #993 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Was this happening when you were watching Lost?

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #994 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 08:11 AM

Yes, Matter of fact that is when it started. Worked fine all day, I was home sick and watched 24.1 most of the day and it was perfect. 7:00pm rolls around and it starts acting up. I'm leaning toward some thing in the transmission. All the other station are working fine. I checked and if it is 720i or 1080i in 4:3 or wide they come in and work fine on all the other stations. I tried the inside antenna and I can count the attic antenna out as a source of the problem. I got my signal from 82% up to 89% but did not affect 24.1 still drops out for just a second and goes black. I would say blinking out would be a better term for what it is doing.
post #995 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really thinking its the reciever in your tv. The other people having this type of problem are all getting it from ABC.

When I asked about your tv, does it output 1080i or 720p? If you are unsure if you can post a link to your type of tv we can take a look there.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #996 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is anyone else having lip synch issues with WMC-DT??

I mainly notice it on the HD broadcast, seems to go away when cut to commercials. Seems to me the audio is behind the video.

I am using an E86 and 3803 Denon.

Thanks for the input guys.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #997 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote: I'm really thinking its the receiver in your tv. The other people having this type of problem are all getting it from ABC.

I'm at a loss to your comment, 24.1 is ABC. That is the station I'm having a problem with. As far as input, My TV will receive 720i and 1080i I've watched the other channels and check what they are broadcasting in and there is no link to the problem that I'm having when it comes to res. Thanks for your feed back I'm still looking into some things on my end I'm contacting ABC 24 to see what they say and the Panasonic rep here in town. CC told me next time my TV is doing this to come in and they will hook up a OAT antenna and see if the display is doing this as well. Will keep you guys posted as to what I find out. again thanks
post #998 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TNHD
Quote: I'm really thinking its the receiver in your tv. The other people having this type of problem are all getting it from ABC.

I'm at a loss to your comment, 24.1 is ABC. That is the station I'm having a problem with.

Correct. WPTY (24) is the local ABC affiliate. What I said was people who are experiencing this problem are all having it from ABC. So since WPTY is the local ABC affialite, WPTY is the channel here that is designated as ABC. WPTY-DT (24.1 or 25.1) is the local ABC digital station that can output HD programs.

Quote:

As far as input, My TV will receive 720i and 1080i I've watched the other channels and check what they are broadcasting in and there is no link to the problem that I'm having when it comes to res. Thanks for your feed back I'm still looking into some things on my end I'm contacting ABC 24 to see what they say and the Panasonic rep here in town.

Your tv, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do , is "actually" not a HD tv. Its Enhaced Definition. So you are not actually viewing what is called HD signals. Your TV will only display a resolution of 852x480, which we would call 480p. Whereas other tv's, other plasma or LCD usually display 1280x768, called 720p, or bigger RPTV's display 1920x1080, 1080i. I'm not trying to say anything bad about your tv, just trying to give you the facts. I have read that people with EDTV's say the picture looks just as good as a regular HDTV. I have never seen one so I can't comment.

Quote:

CC told me next time my TV is doing this to come in and they will hook up a OAT antenna and see if the display is doing this as well. Will keep you guys posted as to what I find out. again thanks

I would go ahead and have them setup their tv so then you can call them and have them check the same time you are having the problem. Because if its intermittant it might not happen if you take the tv back and have them test it.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #999 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 01:33 PM

While I appreciate your help. I'm fully aware of what type Plasma I have. If you haven't seen the picture on one of the EDs by Panny you should check it out sometime if your ever in the market for a Plasma in the 42" or less size. I understand what you are saying but I never said the tv displayed 720i or 1080i just that it will receive a signal at that res and run it and is doing so on the other HD stations. As in I can pull up 3.1 and hit the info button on the Panny and it display channel and color settings and the broadcast is in 720i or it may show 1080i as to how it is coming in from that station. I understand the ED is limited to the res it can display it as, So I dismissed this as why 24.1 is not working I don't think it has anything to do with what res the station is pumping out since I receive the other stations at 720i or 1080i broadcast res, I hope that makes since.

This ED vs HD is another debate all together and another forum section. This being a ED Plasma with a HD tuner has nothing to do with why ALL the other HD channels LOOK and PLAY perfect and 24.1 doesn't. That is the info I'm hoping to get answers on. Back to my problem,

Sorry if I misunderstood Your comment, which was "It must be your tuner because everyone else is having problems with ABC". Since I'm in the Memphis area and the ONLY way to get ABC OAT is on 24.1 or 25 I thought you might have got your stations numbers confused. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something.

I have talked with a buddy of mine with a HD Sony since my last post and he also has had problems with ABC (24.1) on his and he told me that his Signal meter was going up and down alot but was holding his picture without dropping out the night my was. I also talked with Panasonic repair center for the Memphis area, Turns out I've know this guy for 20 years since Collage days. He recommended getting a HD antenna. I told him I was using a UHF/VHF that I've had for 3years He said that the HD versions are cut different and that could be the problem. I figured I might buy a cheap desktop HD version to try it and then buy one to fit in the attic if that is the problem. will keep you guys posted if that is the case. Again thanks for you help in trying to come up with a reason for the problem
post #1000 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

He recommended getting a HD antenna

Remember, there is no such thing as an HD antenna. There are antennas that pick up channels that happen to carry a digital signal.

I've been waiting to grab post #1000 in this thread!

-Robert
post #1001 of 6018 Old 10-14-2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rlj5242
Remember, there is no such thing as an HD antenna. There are antennas that pick up channels that happen to carry a digital signal.

I've been waiting to grab post #1000 in this thread!

-Robert

LOL.. you thief on the 1000 post!! I stand corrected I need to get a new antenna that is designed to take advantage of the digital signals so I have a better chance of getting a more stable signal in this area
post #1002 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 10:26 AM

I (and others here) have had great luck with the Zenith Silver Sensor, which is small and runs about $20-30 online. With it, I can get everything but FOX. Might want to try it, to see if it fixes your problem.

Personally, though, I think your problem has to do with a specific interaction between the WPTY signal and some HD tuners, like the HDTivo, and apparently, your tuner.
post #1003 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry if I misunderstood Your comment, which was "It must be your tuner because everyone else is having problems with ABC". Since I'm in the Memphis area and the ONLY way to get ABC OAT is on 24.1 or 25 I thought you might have got your stations numbers confused. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something.

I'm confused now. Not trying to sound rude, but you do understand that WPTY is ABC in Memphis right?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1004 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheep
I (and others here) have had great luck with the Zenith Silver Sensor, which is small and runs about $20-30 online. With it, I can get everything but FOX. Might want to try it, to see if it fixes your problem.

Personally, though, I think your problem has to do with a specific interaction between the WPTY signal and some HD tuners, like the HDTivo, and apparently, your tuner.

I agree, I'm going to hook up a inside antenna try it, if it doesn't fix it go to CC and see if the display model does it as well. Here is a response I got from WPTY when I addressed the problem to them.

E-mail from WPTY 24
"We've been working on a couple of complaints similar to this. Maybe an MPEG lock problem. Do you have access to an alternate DTV tuner? Be helpful to know if 2 different tuners have the same problem. Can you tune to analog CH24? We transmit both WPTY CH24 and WPTY-DT CH24.1 from the same antenna. You could use analog CH24 to evaluate the reception quality. Does CH24 have ghosting in the picture? CH24's picture quality could provide a lot of information about the condition of 24.1's signal entering your tuner. We are working with the manufacturer of our MPEG encoder to determine possible causes of these kind of problems..."

Seems they are working to resolve issue and working to get it taken care of. I wish someone here at this forum had a Panny TV like mine and could confirm it...LOL save me a trip and hookup time on the display model. I figure it is the station but I wan't be happy until I confirm for sure. I would hate to find out after my 30 days with CC is up on my return policies that it is the TV

Question on the antenna does someone here in town sell the zenith and if not is the one at Best Buy any good here is the info on that one. Terk HDTVi Off-Air HDTV Antenna Thanks again guys
post #1005 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mx6bfast
I'm confused now. Not trying to sound rude, but you do understand that WPTY is ABC in Memphis right?

Yes, Question is do you understand that WPTY, ABC, 24.1 are all the same Digital station and that is the one I'm having problems with.

You just confused me too when you said its your tuner because everyone else is having problems with ABC not 24.1. The only way to get ABC HD OTA is WPTY /ABC/ 24.1 which 24.1 is my problem or I could just say ABC is my problem. LOL I could add to this confusion by saying that it is actually Channel 25 but it comes in on your TV display as 24.1 but it is WPTY which is the local station for ABC

As you can see from the post above it could be the station due to Mpeg Lock, This from the e-mail I got from WPTY/ABC/24.1 OR could be the Antenna that I'm using OR TV of course I'm not going to be happy until I know for sure. Will let you know if the antenna makes a diff. I'm going to try to find a good inside antenna here in town this weekend and give it a shot. That will also give me a antenna that I can carry to CC if it doesn't make a diff on mine I can try on the display at CC. Again THANKS of Your Input
post #1006 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
or I could just say ABC is my problem.

That's how we say it here, for the most part. We will call it either ABC or WPTY. It's implied that its the digital station.

Quote:
As you can see from the post above it could be the station due to Mpeg Lock, This from the e-mail I got from WPTY/ABC/24.1 OR could be the Antenna that I'm using OR TV of course I'm not going to be happy until I know for sure. Will let you know if the antenna makes a diff. I'm going to try to find a good inside antenna here in town this weekend and give it a shot. That will also give me a antenna that I can carry to CC if it doesn't make a diff on mine I can try on the display at CC. Again THANKS of Your Input

I don't think that it is your tv but the tuner inside of your tv. I'm gonna go check my analog ABC to see what that is looking like, but I am having this issue on 2 different stb's.

As far as the SS, I purchased mine at Best Buy. The might also carry it at CC, Radio Shack, or other local stores. I know other people on these boards don't like Terk antennas, but my best antenna actually was a Terk TV-35. If you compare the Terk that looks like the SS, I read that the SS tested better than the Terk. But you will learn that, unless you are lucky, you will have to work on the OTA stuff to get it just right. Shoot I've had HD since March 2003 and I'm still having to tweak my current antenna just so I can get WMC reliably without knocking out the other stations. A pitfall from living almost right in the middle of all the towers.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1007 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 11:48 AM

Yeah, I actually got my Silver Sensor at Sears, of all places. Gemini also sells the same antenna. I think any of them will work well, just look for one that looks like this:
Gemini at Amazon

I know Best Buy sells the same one, but I didn't find it at Radio Shack when I looked.
post #1008 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I don't think that it is your tv but the tuner inside of your tv.

LOL... I think that would be a given. IF it is the TV (Tuner in the TV) I would think I need to try a few things before just assuming so. Now that the Station has confirmed that people are calling in with the same problem I need to check and see if someone else that has this model Plasma can confirm theirs does or doesn't have the same issue with ABC/WPTY/24.1 If not I will head off to CC to test the display but before all that I will try the Zeneth antenna and see if that works first.

I also replied back to WPTY/ABC/24.1 with the info they requested. I also asked for more info regarding Mpeg Lock. Will post when I hear back from them. Thanks guys
post #1009 of 6018 Old 10-15-2004, 05:09 PM

We have Enterprise in HD on UPN 30!!!
There are slight audio issues, but it looks GREAT!
THANK YOU UPN!
post #1010 of 6018 Old 10-16-2004, 09:18 AM

TNHD,

Who did you contact at WPTY? I'm having the same issue with my HDTIVO that several folks have documented. My Tosh DST3000 does not have the stop-start issues, maybe that info will give them additional clues.
post #1011 of 6018 Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM

It seems that it is looking more at station problem everyday or antenna. I'm still going to confirm this. I picked up a Zenith SS yesterday. I was going to install it last night after I confirmed my set was acting up on 24.1 but, It was a clear night no clouds guess what NO drop out. Not sure if that was the reason or them working on the station. I did receive another e-mail from the station that leads me to lean more toward reception or Station issue. Here is the reply that I got from WPTY/ABC/24.1 regarding my follow up.

Quote:
"FYI I have been working on 24.1 today and tonight. So if you watched tonight you might see black video it's our fault.

The forums do provide a lot of insight into HDTV reception issues. You will probably learn more about your new set on the forums than from me. We continue to research and investigate complaints about 24.1 reception. However, we have alot of folks that receive us fine. I have an older RCA set top box and get 24.1 fine. No video freeze or audio drop outs. However, I first optimized my antenna to analog 24. I moved my antenna in my attic a couple of times before getting a great picture on analog 24. I highly recommend tweaking your antenna to optimize analog 24 first. HDTV tuners continue to evolve. they continue to get better. If you can receive other HD stations fine with no freezing at all and no audio dropout, your tuner is probably ok. I'd say you either have a problem with our signal level/quality at the tuner input or your Mpeg decoder doesn't like a setting in our stream. As tuners evolve, their features expand which means they utilize more of the information in the MPEG stream. It is possible that our encoder could be transmitting a data value that your tuner doesn't like. Let me tell you there is a lot of info in the MPEG stream and it is complex. Usually video freezing problems are usually related to elementary stream buffer problems. Your tuner's buffers might be running out out data which cause the video to freeze. MPEG lock problems are typically just video freezing and audio drop out at the same time. The whole picture will just freeze. If you see a bunch of blocking and video glitching then you likely have an antenna problem. hope this helps...feel free to email me if you have more questions. I will try to help you as much as I can."
post #1012 of 6018 Old 10-17-2004, 10:51 AM

For what it's worth. I haven't been able to get WPTY for a couple of days and same goes for WMC. WLMT, WREG, WPXX, and WKNO are all great.
post #1013 of 6018 Old 10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

fyi......BestBuy in Wolfchase had 3 HDtivo's in case anyone is looking to get one.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1014 of 6018 Old 10-17-2004, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by ravma479
We have Enterprise in HD on UPN 30!!!
There are slight audio issues, but it looks GREAT!
THANK YOU UPN!

I just watched it (thank you HD Tivo, too!), and it was fantastic. They even got the audio issues sorted out by the second half hour.

Now, let's see the rest of the UPN HD lineup in HD, and then on to the WB shows!
post #1015 of 6018 Old 10-17-2004, 06:28 PM

They keep forgetting to switch the HD back on. Anyone care to call?
I just dont feel like it tonight. Maybe whe.. err. if, they forget after the next break...
Edit: LOL, not a minute later, and it's back. Someone must be watching the boards..
post #1016 of 6018 Old 10-18-2004, 05:28 AM

UPDATE ON MY PANNY Plasma and 24.1 dropping out

Well, I bought a Zenith SS antenna to see if this was the cause of my picture drop out on Channel 24.1 I tried it this weekend and it didn't help one bit. I got my signal meter up to 90% and still doing the same thing.

Next test was to go to Circuit City and see if it was just on my Panny or if the display models would do the same thing. I went up Sunday afternoon. I made sure that WPTY/ABC/24.1 was giving me picture freeze on mine. This due to the fact it doesn't happen all the time. After confirming this I took off with my Zenith SS in hand. Once I got to the Wolf chase store they were very helpful in setting up the test. We hooked up the same Model I have. I tuned first to check my Steelers game to see how they were doing on 3.1 which worked perfect on mine and the display model. I then switched over to WPTY/ABC/ 24.1. I got the signal meter on the TV up to 88% on the display model in the store. After watching for just a few seconds the Display Model does the same thing!! Picture blacks out for just a 1/2 second. Then may go for a minute and do it again. Seems I DON"T have a bad tuner in mine after all. I felt much better but at the same time Channel 24.1 is doing something to the signal that the Pannys doesn't like along with other brand sets people have listed here. I know that My friend is having the same type problem with a Sony Model as well. I felt sure before I went this was the case but I just needed to try it to make sure. I'm going to E-mail WPTY again today to let them know I've confirmed that it is not just my Panny but it could be duplicated in the store on the display model as well. From my last e-mail from WPTY the Engineer stated that he thought it was not my set but something in the signal they are broadcasting. I think confirming this and asking if any thing is being done to resolve this issue will maybe get them to look future into the problem. Again this is the only Station OAT that does this on my set. Will let you guys know what reply I get from WPTY/ABC/24.1
post #1017 of 6018 Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Good info.

Also let the dude from WPTY know that this is also happening on my E86. Also ask him to remember to turn the HD feed on. It wasn't on last night.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1018 of 6018 Old 10-18-2004, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Might have gotten lost in the thread.................

It would be nice if we could get a list of phone # contacts for the Memphis stations to let them know when we have a problem. (like forgetting to flip the switch.)

Thanks to anyone who has/posts them.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #1019 of 6018 Old 10-18-2004, 10:09 AM

WREG-TV: (CBS 3):
Main Phone Number
901-543-2333

News Tip Line
901-543-2111

WMC-TV (NBC 5):
Main switchboard phone number:
901-726-0555

Main newsroom number (staffed at all times):
901-726-0416

WKNO-TV (PBS 10):
Main Number
901-325-6544

WPTY-TV (ABC 24) / WLMT-TV (UPN 30 / WB):
Main Office
901-323-2430

News Hotline
901-321-7668

and.. in case you feel like yelling at them,
WHBQ-TV (FOX 13)
Main Office
901-320-1313

Newsroom
901-320-1340

Fox conveniently did NOT have contact info, (or much of anything), on their site.. It took some digging to get that one.

So there you go! Everything you should need!
post #1020 of 6018 Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having trouble picking up local over the air high def stations. Does anyone know of someone who can come out and troubleshoot my problems.
thanks for any help

Memphis Home Builder
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page