Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looks like WLMT just got bumped into 3rd place in Memphis behind WREG & WKNO by default. NBC & ABC are nose diving. I was watching some of ST and it looked really good Friday night. I'm really hoping that WPTYdude can get it setp for LOTR in HD. Maybe he's working on it now since he hasn't been back.

Has anyone else sent an email to WREG about the pq for the football games? I watched more SEC than NFL and it doesn't look good. The only time it does look as sharp as it did last season is during slo-mo replays. Guys speak up because I think I am the only one who is noticing this. No one else has said they have voiced their concern. If not we will never get to see the clarity of HD that we experienced last season on WREG. If you haven't sent him an email its ron.walter@wreg.com which is on the website.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tscallions,

I have the SA8300 (HD/DVR) and I got it about two months ago. When I first brought it home from the Bartlett Kroger office, it rebooted a lot and I couldn't get TNT HD at all. Also, ESPN HD came through with a lot of jerkiness and pixelation.

I placed a service call and a middle-aged tech (who seemed to be training a younger tech) that really knew his stuff traced it down to a couple of bad cable runs, which he replaced.

I was really glad, because a lesser skilled tech would have blamed it on my splitter/amp, which I paid a lot of money for and it just ticks me off when they try to use that excuse. He was quick to point out that it was a nice one (which was my first indication that he was not just another joe) and proceeded to methodically troubleshoot until the problem was fixed.

Kudos to TW, since now my box reboots so rarely that I can't remember the last time it did, and my HD ROCKS!

As far as whether TW currently has anymore 8300's, I don't know what to tell you. It is feasible that there was a run on them when ESPN HD came online.

Former Bose owner - Now Recovering with Klipsch Reference Series Therapy
post #1083 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM

I havve noticed the PQ on the football games, but I must say this weekend they looked pretty good to me. Not as much pixelation, at least for me.
post #1084 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am going to take my SA8000HD to one of their locations tomorrow on my lunch break and see if they will swap it for me. I notice on the back of the unit they have the HDMI output but I only have DVI on my TV. I wonder if TWC provides a cable converter for that. Guess I shall find out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #1085 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mx6bfast
What happened to WPTYdude? There are some questions here that it would be nice of him to answer.

Did anyone call WPTY to have the HD feed turned on last night? It didn't come on until about a minute into Lost. It prompted my wife to yell at the tv. I was reaching for the laptop to look up the number when it came on. Let's all hope that we will stop missing shows in HD.

Sorry for the delay...WPTY's ABC HD decoder has been having problems...looks like I found the problem tonight. Can you believe a bad connector? 1.5Gbits/sec doesn't like bad grounds! WPTY's current ABC HD decoder is actually a loaner...hope to get our decoder back soon.

Still working on Lord of Rings...I think I can pull it off with gear we have. WB AC3 encodes so I should be able to pass AC3 through. I might be able to get 1 WB HD show this week if I get enough time to re-wire...
post #1086 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by WPTYdude
Sorry for the delay...WPTY's ABC HD decoder has been having problems...looks like I found the problem tonight.

Boy did you. MNF was outstanding. Great picture quality. And I was watching it thinking "and last night, they couldn't even get a picture." Now I know why. Thanks! Keep it up.
post #1087 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 08:18 AM

tscallions
I got the box at the winchester office about 3 weeks ago. I traded my reg HD box and that is the one they gave me. She told me they had several of them. If you want to swap yours just take it in and tell them yours is giving you trouble. It has worked fairly well. The HD recordings are all very good. ABout a week ago I did have a lip synch problem with some of ABC's but have had none since. Also the audio dropoff is bad on abc. It is never a problem on any other HD channels, just ABC. I am hoping we get NBC and FOX soon. It would have been nice to have FOX for the World Series. ALso I have a question for anyone here.
My TV set is HD ready. Is there a OTA I can use for HD locals or do I have to have a Box from either cable or DTV. Just wondering if they make an OTA for HD ready TV's and which is the best.
Thx
Ted
post #1088 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 08:27 AM
msd

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing frequent audio dropouts on WPTY-DT (ABC)?

I've been receiving this station for quite a while with no problems at all, but it has not been watchable for the past few weeks. I've tried everything I can think of, including different antennas and locations but no help. It's very easy to get a steady signal strength of 80-90%, but I still get the audio issue. No other stations are affected.

This is driving me nuts :-). Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #1089 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Originally posted by redram38
My TV set is HD ready. Is there a OTA I can use for HD locals or do I have to have a Box from either cable or DTV. Just wondering if they make an OTA for HD ready TV's and which is the best.
Thx
Ted

Like you said you need another box for OTA. Either a DirecTV or an OTA only box. There is a current list as a sticky in the HDTV Hardware section. BTW, you will also need an antenna.

-Robert
post #1090 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 09:18 AM

When I picked up my SA8300HDDVR from TW in Bartlett, I asked for a cable for the HDMI interface and was told they were not supplying them. They did give me a pretty high quality set of component video and stereo audio cables.

I have read up a little and found a few things out about the HDMI interface.

1. It is possible that TW is not supporting this connection.
2. It is possible that the HDMI is not even enabled (heard of this online)
3. It is possible that it is enabled and can be used, but only through accessing a "secret" service menu.

Whatever the case, the general consensus is that HDMI is only beneficial when connecting tv's that only take a DVI connector. Some purists like it because it keeps the signal digital all the way to the set.

My audio/video guy told me that some people actually think their tv shows a better picture when using good component cables.

BTW, the cable you need is an HDMI/DVI and is the common connector for this situation. It varies in price, but I would probably spend 80 to 100 dollars to make sure it was a good one. NEVER SKIMP ON CABLES.

I have a DVI input, but have not tried it yet. I do run 720P out from my 8300 and my TV converts it up to 1080i which I have found is the best overall picture (without visible variation lines when a solid black or solid bright scene is on).

Whatever works for you is the best way to go....

post #1091 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tigerpaul2000
I havve noticed the PQ on the football games, but I must say this weekend they looked pretty good to me. Not as much pixelation, at least for me.

They do look good, but not near as good as they did last season. I guess I'm just spoiled. WREG used to never have any type of pixelation. If you saw tha Miami NFL game the first week, that's how it used to be. Unless other people speak up we will probably be stuck with what we have now.

Quote:

Originally posted by WPTYdude
WPTY's current ABC HD decoder is actually a loaner...hope to get our decoder back soon. Still working on Lord of Rings...I think I can pull it off with gear we have.

Could this be the reason we are experiencing audio/video pauses? I noticed it last pretty bad during the 3rd quarter of the game on my Hughes E86. Not to mention I am getting it on SD programs also, not just HD.
If you can get LOTR in HD, well, words just can't describe. If you can get a WB show in HD, will it be one that is tape delayed or live? As wiggo pointed out, last nights game was superb. I think that the MNF games have passed WREG's pq.

Quote:

Originally posted by msd
Is anyone else experiencing frequent audio dropouts on WPTY-DT (ABC)?

What type of stb do you have? Dooes your picture freeze?

Also welcome to the new people in this forum.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1092 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM

Well that's not good news. I really don't want to spend $100.00 on a HDMI to DVI cable. I already spent $100.00 on a DVI cable for the SA8000HD that I have never used. I am considering sticking with the 8000 now.
post #1093 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 PM

Well, maybe there was some truth to them being out of DVR's. I just got back from the location on Poplar and there was a sign on the door that said "this location was currently out of all high definition digital video recorders" I'll check the Bartlett location this weekend.
post #1094 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 05:47 PM
msd

mx6bfast, thanks for the response. I'm using the HD Tivo and don't have another STB to compare. I hadn't noticed the picture freezing until you mentioned it, but it does freeze for an instant when the audio drops out. The picture never breaks up like there is a reception problem, though. Sounding more and more like a problem with the encoding. I was hopeful that it might be fixed after WPTYdude's post, but the problem is still there tonight.
post #1095 of 6043 Old 10-26-2004, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by msd
mx6bfast, thanks for the response. I'm using the HD Tivo and don't have another STB to compare. I hadn't noticed the picture freezing until you mentioned it, but it does freeze for an instant when the audio drops out. The picture never breaks up like there is a reception problem, though. Sounding more and more like a problem with the encoding. I was hopeful that it might be fixed after WPTYdude's post, but the problem is still there tonight.

Yeah there's a known problem with ABC & HDTivo. Hopefully it will get figured out and fixed soon. Because it sure is annoying.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1096 of 6043 Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed any charges in the signal strength at different times of the day with WMC? I have noticed that at night my signal strength drops on 2 of my stb's. Yesterday I tested me signal strength on all 4 stb's at the same time. Yesterday at 4 pm 3 were in the mid 70's and the last was at like 12 (don't use this one much). Then last night I checked after 9 pm and I was getting no more than 30 on 2 of them and the last had a signal strong enough to keep video.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1097 of 6043 Old 10-27-2004, 07:04 AM

Has anyone using TW HD experienced their STB rebooting when they try to watch WKNOHD for any length of time? Before my signal quality was improved by new cable runs (which eliminated my problems with some channels like TNTHD and ESPNHD) it used to lock up so fast that I couldn't even surf past the channel.

Due to improvements mentioned in previous posts and above, and the fact that I have had no problem surfing past WKNOHD lately, I bravely decided to actually watch a documentary last night. After about 10 minutes - BAM - rebooted again.

Any ideas? I sure wish we had an engineer from TWHD in this forum, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

post #1098 of 6043 Old 10-27-2004, 07:18 AM

I wish I could be of some help, but there hasn't been anything on that channel that has interested me. I'll be watching a DVD tonight, but I'll tune the box to WKNO-HD and see if it reboots while I am watching the DVD.
post #1099 of 6043 Old 10-28-2004, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
dre

HvyXclr8r

I have TWC with a SA8000HD DVR box and have had no problems with any rebooting issues. You might have a problem with your box. I had a box once that wouldn't boot up at all and took it back and the new one worked just fine.

Also does anyone else have a lip sync problem on OTA WMC-DT. I was watching West Wing and Law and Order last night and noticed a much better signal but the sound was off ??

dre

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY...OR WHAT !!!
post #1100 of 6043 Old 10-28-2004, 08:06 AM

Yup, WMC has had the lip sync problem as long as I've been watching HD.
post #1101 of 6043 Old 10-28-2004, 10:13 AM

I actually watched some of WKNO-HD last night and the box never froze up on me. Now I only watched for about five minutes and I know you were saying that it was locking up on you after watching for 10. I'll try and check out some more of their programing.
post #1102 of 6043 Old 10-29-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Just messing around at work today and found this link, http://www.satelliteexpo2005.com/ The expo is going to be here in Memphis this year. It might be something to go to.

btw....when I called D* and asked about waivers, apparently they put in waivers for the national feed, not HD. Because I got a card the other day that said that I was denied the national feed. So I guess I was automatically given the HD feed.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1103 of 6043 Old 10-29-2004, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
From reading the site, it looks to be dealers, techs, etc. I saw nothing about it being open to the public.

-Robert
post #1104 of 6043 Old 10-29-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rlj5242
From reading the site, it looks to be dealers, techs, etc. I saw nothing about it being open to the public.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm sure they would open it up to the public tho.

Maybe that will be WHBQ's "DT coming out party"

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #1105 of 6043 Old 11-01-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

WPTYdude, you need to have a talk with your Sunday night master control guy. Last night, BOSTON LEGAL started in HD for the teaser and credits, but after the first commercial break came back in SD and stayed that way the rest of the hour.
post #1106 of 6043 Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wiggo... whenver WPTY is broadcasting something isn SD that should be HD, I always call the 24 hour news hotline and tell to to turn the HD back on. I did that last Saturday night when Monsters Inc was ont. The number is below...

901-321-7668

Jerry
post #1107 of 6043 Old 11-02-2004, 05:10 PM

WE HAVE HIGH DEFINITION WB! Sort of..
Ok, so it's a static image of a guy with a ketchup bottle, but its GILMORE GIRLS. IN HD. This rocks!! WPTYDude, you could always "accidentally" pass the WB feed through for Gilmore Girls. Just make sure Veronica Mars is on.
It's amazing how 1 single image can give so much hope... If Fox only had a test pattern..
post #1108 of 6043 Old 11-02-2004, 05:59 PM

And with minutes to spare til Veronica Mars, we had HD for the last little bit of Kevin Hill. THANKS WPTYDude!
Edit: Yep, HD for Mars.
I guess no one is watching tonight? :P
post #1109 of 6043 Old 11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Gut

I haven't gotten a signal OTA for WMC in quite a while. Is anybody else having this problem? Just tried watching LAX and lo and behold nothing on 52-1! Everything else is coming in great. Also any update for us E* users about FOX upping their signal strength any time soon, maybe in time for the Super Bowl?

Gut
post #1110 of 6043 Old 11-03-2004, 06:47 PM

It's looking doubtful that E* will have Fox in time for the Superbowl. There is a big legal battle going on. D* should definately have it. The odds of having over the air here in Memphis before March or April 2005 is about 1000:1. They just don't seem to have the money, time, and/or need to do it. Although, it IS the Superbowl, so anything is possible.
My advice? Let's pack up our HD's and tailgate in WHBQ's parking lot! Anyone care to join me for an OC party tomorrow night?
As for WMC, as far as I know they are on. I can't get a solid picture by any means though, but I think that they are broadcasting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page