Portland, OR - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2002, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as me being excited about subs....it is not due to allocation of bandwidth....if KATU is adding sub channels, I assume that they would allocate enough bandwidth to the HD stream that it would not hamper PQ.

The good news is that it would explain the blackouts, and perhaps....maybe...hope beyond hope...they would experiment with some content on the HD stream during non-primetime (ala KGW). It would be nice to have alternative content to show off the quality to visitors during non-primetime hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2002, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Now what's up with KGW? Crossing Jordan was not HD last night. I rarely get to watch live TV so it's a real bummer when I sit down to watch and it's not HD.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
Old 12-17-2002, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by R11
.... Anybody check out the Florida/Maryland BB game on KOIN Sat afternoon? It looked great.... when they were standing still . Lee I hate to be a continual griper but I noticed the traffic cam was up during the game. I figure you guys have your reasons for even having it at all but could you at least have them shut it down during sports presentations? I believe you have done that in the past if I'm not mistaken. That little extra slice of bandwidth makes a considerable improvement in the HD feed. I was even getting some macro blocking during the game which I don't recall ever seeing from KOIN previously. Anything you could do would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry, folks. The game should have had all of the bandwidth. We're training some new people and they forgot to change encoder modes (it's a manual function).
Old 12-18-2002, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hello All,
I am new to this thread and since it is kind of long, I did not have the time to read through all the posts but quickly skimmed over some. I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

I have a HTPC setup with an accessDTV card (WinXP latest Beta drivers) and I am able to get one channel with good reception using the Radio Shack double bow-tie antenna mounted near the bedroom window in level three at Colonnade townhomes in Hillsboro (Cornell-John Olsen). There are some tall trees and no buildings (for several hunder feet) in this direction but I do have to point the antenna up 80 degress to horizontal. I am getting tired of watching the light-house and parade in Channel 46 KGW (the only one I can get now).

What are my options to get more HD channels ?
My tuner has only one digital input that is connected to the bow-tie antenna. I tried several other antennas (Terk, Silver Sensor..) and finally settled with the bow-tie. Can two inputs be combined to one signal as I have only one input ?
Thanks in advance,
-Jai
Old 12-18-2002, 04:12 PM
bdb

Jai,

Those cards aren't known for getting the best reception. You may have to use an outdoor antenna, if your townhome association lets you. For starters, its certainly worth trying to take that antenna outside. If that doesn't do it, a real outdoor 4-bay bowtie (Channelmaster 4221 gets good reviews) might be needed. You can mount that on a wall (its four inches deep); you can even paint it to match. I just don't know where you can pick one up in this area; Frey's didn't have them when I was there last.

BB

BB
Old 12-18-2002, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jai,

If you are stuck using an indoor antenna you should try to get ahold of a Zenith 'Silver Sensor' antenna. It is very directional, but from Hillsboro that should not be a problem. It is a great unit for slicing through multipath. (You can check multipath by looking at analog channel 24. Adjust the antenna for the least amount of ghosting.) You may also need to add an antenna pre-amplifier, though that is not likely.

Lee
Old 12-18-2002, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been able to find out what KATU's problem is?

Last night it was completely screwed up ranging from a choppy non-HD picture to no picture at all.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
bdb and Lee, Thanks for your inputs. I guess you are right about the cards not having good reception.... are there any satellite HD channels that can be received by using some equipment in conjunction with this card. I don't want to buy a satellite receiver, since I already have this card. Once one of the providers like AT&T come up with HD channels thru regular cable, I won't have a problem. How far are we from this ? Lee, I already tried the silver sensor antenna.
Thanks,
-Jai
Old 12-20-2002, 09:24 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
So, is anybody else seeing the SD KOIN channel (6-2) now? Went to watch the Survivor finale last night and no signal... Flipped over to HD 6-1 and it was up as well as the traffic cam on 6-3. Checked again this morning and it was still out. Never seen them shut down the SD feed and only run the HD before so wondering if it's an intentional thing and they are experimenting or if someone just missed a switch or if they're having equipment problems maybe?

ron
Old 12-20-2002, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

6-2 being blank was a problem at the station. Our routing switcher controller crashed Thursday afternoon putting odd things all over the place. This one got missed in the recovery process. It is fixed now.

Lee
Old 12-21-2002, 05:15 PM

Why wasn't the Indiana/Kentucky game in HD?
Old 12-22-2002, 01:49 PM

Hi others in Portland,

please forgive me if I might be cluttering things up here with a message about the obvious. But I haven't been able to figure out if this is me or KATU or when things will be corrected.

Last night my KATU HDTV reception was horribly inaudible duing the Saturday Night Fever movie. Continuous squirrly, jittery, splittery, garbled sound. This has been happending to me for HD material from KATU for maybe a week or two. SD material is 95% okay - but still with some pops in the audio.

I use the Samsung SIR-T150 connected optically to a Sony receiver. All the other HDTV broadcasts are just fine.

Any chance tonight's shows will be up and running? (Alias in particular?) And what about the Super Bowl in January.

Erik
Old 12-22-2002, 03:02 PM

SNF was the same for me on my Dish 6000. Must be the local network. KATU has been doing some fiddling around lately.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:16 PM

Naegu - I also experienced audio problems on KATU last night during Saturday Night Fever as well as the previous night. I also have a Samsung SIR-T150, which is new as of Friday. I was wondering if it might have been my unit or my reception, but if other folks on Dish are having the same problem it looks like that can't be it.

All other stations receive great. I am very impressed with HDTV.

At any rate, I hope KATU can fix their feed soon!

Jeff
Old 12-22-2002, 08:55 PM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by somervi
At any rate, I hope KATU can fix their feed soon!

If this doesn't clear up consistenly in the next couple weeks, some of us are going to have to worry if our Super Bowl parties are going to be a bust.

BB
Old 12-22-2002, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

"The Practice" screwed up yet again. No sound tonight. Beginning to look like Wes was the only competent person at that station; he's retired now I hear. More probably, the folks currently at the station have demonstrated by their collective actions that they don't care enough about their DTV to transmit a useable signal -- if they did, these problems simply wouldn't be happening.

'anyone want to send a complaint letter the the FCC? What's the point in allocating free spectrum to Fisher Broadcasting, if this is what they're going to do with it?

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Old 12-23-2002, 10:12 AM

Hi,

I e-mailed KATU about this last night and received a quick reply with some hopefully good news. I let them know that I could share with the AVS Forum. So here's what they said...

Quote:

Our HD encoder has a failed audio board. We have had nothing but problems since the encoder had been "upgraded" by Tiernan, the manufacturer. We should have audio back by Tuesday. We currently have no redundancy for our HD system.

Erik
Old 12-23-2002, 10:21 AM

bdb, I'm with you. I would hate to think of the disappointment of the 30 people I have coming over for the Superbowl in HD when we have to watch it on Dish locals.

I had a very strong signal on KATU last night but had no picture again (about 8:30 pm). I have almost given up watching Alias in HDTV now.

On another note, as of late I have not been able to get either Fox channel (30-1 or 30-2) the past few days that I've tried. Anyone else recently having problems? I show 0 signal strength all of a sudden with no changes to antenna aim or equipment configs. It used to be fine with just the occasional sound dropouts or picture breakup and 60-70% signal (Sir-t151). Now I have nothing.

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
B. Franklin
Old 12-23-2002, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for 6000 owners: Some time ago I lost the ability to pick up PAX 22 & WB 32 Analog. Just for kicks I hooked up my antenna directly to the TV last night and tuned them in just fine. I went back to my 6000 and tried doing an autoscan for Analog and placing them in manually but my 6000 will not see these stations. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 12-23-2002, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
WB32 analog comes in fine for me through my 6000. I pick mine up over channel 4 though.

Cris

Old 12-23-2002, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Cris, I did get a channel 4 on Autoscan but I didn't know it was WB.

Old 12-23-2002, 03:59 PM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by poweda
bdb, I'm with you. I would hate to think of the disappointment of the 30 people I have coming over for the Superbowl in HD when we have to watch it on Dish locals.

I had a very strong signal on KATU last night but had no picture again (about 8:30 pm). I have almost given up watching Alias in HDTV now.

Well, at least this is happening in late December instead of late January, and it seems like they know what the problem is. They're probably leery enough to not touch anything before the SB.

Quote:

On another note, as of late I have not been able to get either Fox channel (30-1 or 30-2) the past few days that I've tried. Anyone else recently having problems? I show 0 signal strength all of a sudden with no changes to antenna aim or equipment configs. It used to be fine with just the occasional sound dropouts or picture breakup and 60-70% signal (Sir-t151). Now I have nothing.

When I lost KATU yesterday, it reverted back to the base channel 30. So I had a 30-1 that was FOX and a 30-1 that was KATU. You might have been watching KATU thinking it was FOX. 30-2 was working for me yesterday.

BB
Old 12-23-2002, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't KATU 27?

Old 12-23-2002, 04:24 PM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by Marissadad
Isn't KATU 27?

No, that's PBS. But you're right that KATU isn't 30 - its 43. I just assumed it was the base channel. Maybe they were broadcasting on the wrong channel yesterday? Its really odd that I was seeing ABC at 30-1.

BB
Old 12-23-2002, 11:15 PM

KOIN black during CSI tonight...anyone else?
Old 12-23-2002, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just check at 10:36pm. Wasn't watching because its a repeat. 40-1 looks OK for me.

Cris

Old 12-26-2002, 10:41 AM

Hey all Portlanders -

I still have no sound on KATU. I assume this means their repairs on tuesday either didn't happen or failed to fix the problem. Any news about this out there?

Also, I spent 2 hours tweaking my antenna setup and I'm still unable to restore my FOX stations, 30-1 and 30-2. Has anybody else stopped receiving them or is it just me? Has anyone that still tunes them in noticed a drop in signal strength?

B. Franklin
Old 12-26-2002, 11:02 AM
bdb

I'm still getting Fox with a strong signal. No news on KATU, though.

BB
Old 12-26-2002, 11:32 AM

bdb - Do you have to change your antenna position to tune FOX or do you leave it pointed in the same direction regardless of the station you're tuning?

B. Franklin
Old 12-26-2002, 12:48 PM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by poweda
bdb - Do you have to change your antenna position to tune FOX or do you leave it pointed in the same direction regardless of the station you're tuning?

Its always in the same position. The two towers are within a few degrees for me, so I just point my Silver Sensor about halfway in between and it picks up everything quite well.

BB