Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by R11
Hey Lee, caught the end of the Sat game (so I missed the bandwidth snafu) and all of yesterday's game. Just wanted to say thanks for all the work you guys do holding the patchwork equipment set up together for us. I for one, really appreciate it. It would be nice if you guys could swing for a new set up but understand the economic realities of the situation. Raiders/Jets yesterday was truely a thing of beauty.

My wife's Pittsburghian family was over on Saturday to see the Pittsburgh/Titans game. They'd never seen HDTV and were thrilled to see it on my new Sony KP57WV700. (And I was relieved that my investment wasn't deemed "stupid" )
I see an HDTV in their future.

Thanks, Lee and KOIN for all your efforts on behalf of HDTV!
Too bad the Steelers lost, though

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Lipout
Has anyone else had problems timeshifting KOIN HD programming. I was unable to record either AFC playoff game this weekend and last night my recorder showed an error message relating to copy protection. I am using a Samsung T165 and a Mits HS-HD2000U connected via firewire. I am aware of several issues with the T165 but, I don't seem to have the same problems recording other OTA network programming.

The 'problem' is real. For some reason the Samsung 165 is blocking the Firewire output on KOIN HD programming (anything on 6-1) only. It has been determined that the source of the problem is something in the PSIP data stream, but the 'why' is still unknown. It is not intentional. The PSIP system vendor is looking into the problem. We don't know when there will be a solution though.
post #363 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the 6000 doesn't quite know how to handle a 480p signal since it doesn't have all of the Zoom/Stretch options available, all it will do is Full or Normal like a SD channel.

I've emailed Dish on this before but have never received an answer. Maybe all of us 6000 owners need to hit them at once about the strobing and stretch issues with Fox.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #364 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 04:51 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Guys, I'm using a Mitsubishi receiver (Hughes E86) so it's not just the 6000. And I don't think it's a flat 480p problem either because the film based EDTV comes through just fine for me. I've only seen it on the football games and the one awards show that I'm assuming must have been taped as well. And even on the football games the picture itself is basically clear and as sharp as can be expected for 480. It's just the strobing as they pan across things. You'd think it must be related to the deinterlacing that's done at KPTV somehow interacting with the upconversion done by either the receiver or TV or some combination of all three. My XBR should not be trying to do anything with signals that it sees coming in as 1080i or 480p. Same thing with the receiver. So I'm at a loss as to what the cause is unless the receiver is not actually seeing the signal as 480p for some reason and it is upconverting it as if it were 480i?

ron

Edit: I just sent Ed Williams an email about it. Let's see if he has any info to enlighten us with about it.
post #365 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 06:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm still confused and perplexed and I wanted some help understanding which receivers are having problems with KATU.

I have friends at work who are receiving KATU's HDTV transmissions just fine. For instance, they are able to consistently watch Alias on Sunday nights. They have an integrated TV/receiver (I need to ask what brand again.)

But for the last month I haven't once been able to receive the audio for Alias nor most any other KATU HDTV transmissions - I get totally garbled or missing audio. I'm on the Samsung T150. All the other stations are received great.

Would you mind letting me know your KATU reception quality and hardware. I'll then post the results. You can message me privately or use the e-mail address below.

Thanks so much for your help,

Erik

naegu (at) attbi (dot) com
post #366 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The 'problem' is real. For some reason the Samsung 165 is blocking the Firewire output on KOIN HD programming (anything on 6-1) only. It has been determined that the source of the problem is something in the PSIP data stream, but the 'why' is still unknown. It is not intentional. The PSIP system vendor is looking into the problem. We don't know when there will be a solution though.

Lee, Thanks for the information. I was about to start boxing things up and returning my latest purchases. I can only hope the fix is something easy and quick. CBS and KOIN HD programming are the main reasons I purchased the T165 and recorder. Please tell me the solution will be in place by "Masters" time. Thanks again for your efforts!
post #367 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 09:11 PM

I don't know about you guys but I've about had it with my Samsung 150. Last night I tuned in CSI Miami and the audio and video were all garbled- same on the other channels. So, I went through the exercise of actually unplugging the unit ( not just turning it off ) and on the third try it worked and everything was great again on all channels. All things considered for the Portland area ,which would be my best bet for OTA reception - a combo satellite/ota stb is ok just that the majority of my hd viewing would be ota. I'm very leery of trying one on the newer Samsung boxes.
post #368 of 8729 Old 01-14-2003, 09:31 PM
bdb

Dave, all the newer units should be a bit better, but still have their problems. I've had a fair amount of success with the Zenith HDV420.

Everything was coming in great until the past couple of weeks, when I started losing OPB completely. I moved my indoor antenna to several places within the room to see if I could improve the situation. The best place turned out to be in a CORNER, near the sliding glass doors (not pointing directly out). The signal strength is still good, but the dropouts are just occasional blips, not total loss. This crazy digital stuff!

BB
post #369 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

OPB is still spazzing out. I tried watching the program on the bomber last night and could not lock a clean signal for more than a couple of minutes.

As far as KATU goes, I have a Dish 6000 and have not had any audio issues for a couple of weeks now and I do watch Alias every week.

post #370 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 09:46 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

I don't typically watch a lot of KATU but I do flip by it frequently and like Marissadad it has seemed fine for me (with the hughes clone) ever since they got the equipment problem sorted out 2-3 weeks ago.

I got an email back from Ed at KPTV and he gave me a pretty frank answer regarding the tape based widescreen feed problems. To paraphrase him he thinks it stinks most of the time and he sounded dismayed and dejected about it (must be from fielding all the hate mail and phone calls ). At any rate he said he really had no idea what the actual cause is but he did say that they have several different off-air receivers there at the studio and that the artifacting does show up differently and to varying degrees on the different units. He said he thinks the type of compression that Fox uses for the football games "is messing with certain receivers and not others". So, there it is. Doesn't sound encouraging. Looks like those of us with the "less compatible" receivers may just have to deal with it until the day comes that Fox decides to just give us the real thing.

ron
post #371 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Naegu
I'm still confused and perplexed and I wanted some help understanding which receivers are having problems with KATU.

My Samsung SIR-T165 receives KATU (Alias) and KOIN (Football) HDTV just fine.
I'm near Hiteon Elementary school in SW Beaverton.
On the other hand, KOPB-DT breaks up a lot.

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #372 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Lee, with all the threads about CBS DD 5.1 coming soon over in HD programming, what's the word on KOIN? Are you currently able to pass it through when it's available?

Thanks.

post #373 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 02:12 PM

From what I can gather, the KATU audio problems (horribly garbled sound) are only with the Samsung T150.

I've found two of us on this thread have the problem. The bad audio is present about most of the time on KATU. News and games shows can occasionally come in fine. But HD has been mostly inaudible.

Although suspicious, I really cannot for sure tell if the problem is with the Samsung T150. All the other broadcaster's audio is received fine. KATU's audio was fine before the December'ish timeframe. Although people on other receivers also report of KATU audio problems in December, it sounds like everyone except Samsung T150 owners are okay now.

Anyone have a contact at KATU and/or Samsung that you think would be interested in this issue?

Erik
post #374 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OPB is still spazzing out. I tried watching the program on the bomber last night and could not lock a clean signal for more than a couple of minutes.

Same thing for me.

Quote:

Would you mind letting me know your KATU reception quality and hardware. I'll then post the results. You can message me privately or use the e-mail address below.

I had big time KATU reception issues with MyHD up until about 1.5 months ago. I sent MIT a sample transport stream from KATU which they analyzed and produced a new driver that fixed the issue. I have a AccessDTV and a MyHD and I'm in the Aloha area.

Dave
post #375 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Marissadad
Lee, with all the threads about CBS DD 5.1 coming soon over in HD programming, what's the word on KOIN? Are you currently able to pass it through when it's available?

Thanks.

Well, since the first I heard about it was when I found the press release while posting the DTV Newslinks this morning I don't have any good answers. I emailed CBS Engineering this morning and have gotten no response. I'm guessing KOIN is not on CBS's list of 25 stations to receive the DD5.1 feed.

It would be nice if CBS would let the affiliates in on things like this ahead of time, but then again CBS did exactly the same thing when they broadcast the Grammys as their first stereo broadcast.

In theory KOIN could pass it through, but we might lose all local audio doing so, or we could possibly set up an alternative audio service for DD5.1. We just don't know for sure having not had a network signal to pass along.
post #376 of 8729 Old 01-15-2003, 04:04 PM

Erik,

I have a Sir-T151 and I have audio problems only with KATU. Sometimes have to change channels back and forth or even turn my unit off and on to receive the dd5.1 feed.

At times the sound is fine and then they go to commercial and when the dd5.1 HDTV show comes back on I have no sound until I cycle channels or power. I wonder if the garbled sound you get is related to my sound outage, just handled differently by the tuner. Have you tried power cycling your unit when this happens and if so did it help?

David

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
B. Franklin
post #377 of 8729 Old 01-16-2003, 10:14 AM
bdb

REMINDER
For those of you who missed it, the Nature: Under Antarctica Ice feature is on OPB-DT tonight at 8pm. Assuming you're getting OPB-DT OK, that is .

This is a really beautiful documentary, and a "must-watch" IMHO.

BB
post #378 of 8729 Old 01-17-2003, 08:48 AM

Under Antartica looked absolutely FANTASTIC. HD cameras filming in water as clear as crystal. Also....no drop outs or pixelation. Has OPB got their act back together?
post #379 of 8729 Old 01-17-2003, 09:04 AM

dbd, thanks for the heads up! The family watched Antarctica last night and it was great! What guide are you looking at that tipped you off to this telecast?
post #380 of 8729 Old 01-17-2003, 09:21 AM

Living on the downhill side of West Linn my reception of HD is pretty good.
KPTV is the only station I can't get. (With the occasional KPDX breakup.)

I think this is due to the antenna I'm using. (Channel Master 4228, 8 bay bow tie pointed up about 10 degrees.)

Has anyone had success with antenna stacking? Do antennas have to be on the same plane or can they be in different locations as long as the feed cables are of the same length?

Can anyone recommend a different antenna/s that are better for the frequencies in Portland?

Also I have the Dish 6000 receiver, would a different receiver work better?

Thanks for Any input.

Scott

Per Ardua
post #381 of 8729 Old 01-17-2003, 09:39 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

I was going to mention something else in my last post and forgot. I had also asked Ed at KPTV about 30-2 and whether the widescreen stuff was going to stay there and the fact that there's no guide data for that channel. He said at least for the time being it would remain there and that some time probably around August they will start encoding PSIP and then it will show up as 12-2 with the guide data in place.

ron
post #382 of 8729 Old 01-17-2003, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Waymire
dbd, thanks for the heads up! The family watched Antarctica last night and it was great! What guide are you looking at that tipped you off to this telecast?

You can go directly to the website here or you can:
Send an email to dtv@opb.org and request to be put on their weekly mailer. Here is this week's list:

OPB's DTV Schedule for January 10-18, 2003

Thinks it's cold here, how about under the Antarctic ice?

* NATURE - Under Antarctic Ice
Sunday, January 12 at 5pm and 8pm
Thursday, January 16 at 8pm

Then to the windy city, Chicago:

* American Experience Chicago: City of the Century
Part I - Monday, January 13 at 9pm and
Thursday, January 16 at 9pm

Part II - Tuesday, January 14 at 9pm and
Friday, January 17 at 8pm

Part III - Wednesday, January 15 at 9pm and
Saturday, January 18 at 9pm

* Chicago by 'L': Touring the Neighborhoods
Saturday, January 18 at 10:30pm

----------------------------------------------
January 10 Friday

5 PM Washington Week (CC)

5:30 Wall $treet Week with Fortune (CC)

6:00 This Old House (CC)

6:30 Nightly Business Report (CC)

7:00 Newshour with Jim Lehrer (CC)

8:00 Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre Wives and Daughters - Part 4.
Mr. Preston finally returns Cynthia's letters to go-between Molly,
who little suspects she is the subject of scurrilous town rumors.
(CC-DVS-R-Repeats Sat. at 8 p.m.)

9:30 Desert Speaks Argentina's Upside-Down Desert - Part 2. THE
DESERT SPEAKS continues the search for the highest and driest
part of Argentina, beginning in the colonial city of Salta. (R)

10:00 Now with Bill Moyers (CC)

January 11 Saturday

5 PM Nature (CC-R)

6:00 Austin City Limits

7:00 America Welcomes The World! Cultural Olympiad Concert (R)

8:00 Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre Wives and Daughters - Part 4.
Mr. Preston finally returns Cynthia's letters to go-between Molly,
who little suspects she is the subject of scurrilous town rumors.
(CC-DVS-R)

9:30 Kofi Annan: Center of the Storm Winner of the Nobel Peace
Prize and considered by many to be one of the most effective
secretary generals of the United Nations, Kofi Annan is the
focus of a new documentary. (CC-R)

January 12 Sunday

5 PM Nature Under Antarctic Ice. Filmmaker Norbert Wu and his
team make the 2,400-mile journey from Christchurch, New Zealand,
to McMurdo Station, Antarctica, to make the first high-definition
film of life hidden under the Antarctic ice. (CC-DVS-Repeats Thu.
at 8 p.m.)

5:59 Oregon Art Beat

6:30 Oregon Field Guide Winter Feeding/Salamander/Gooseman. Winter
feeding - there was a time when marauding herds of elk caused a lot
of damage to ranches in eastern oregon. But now, thanks to a winter
feeding program, the problem is under control.Salamander pond -
underwater cameras reveal a life-and-death struggle that has been
raging for millions of years. Gooseman - spend some time with the
'gooseman', a man who knows all there is to know about migrating
canadian geese.

7:00 Antiques Roadshow Albuquerque, Nm - Part 1. From Albuquerque,
New Mexico, this program kicks off its winter 2003 season of
dramatic new discoveries. Host Dan Elias makes his own discoveries
while cruising The Turquoise Trail. (CC-R)

8:00 Nature Under Antarctic Ice. Filmmaker Norbert Wu and his
film of life hidden under the Antarctic ice. (CC-DVS-Repeats Thu.
at 8 p.m.)

9:00 Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre My Uncle Silas II. Albert
Finney returns as rustic rapscallion Uncle Silas in five new
sketches from the charming country tales of H. E. Bates.
(CC-DVS-Repeats Sat. at 7 p.m.)

January 13 Monday

5 PM Antiques Roadshow (CC)

6:00 Outdoor Idaho (CC-Repeats Wed. at 10:30 p.m.)

8:00 Nova Spies That Fly. In newly declassified footage, NOVA
reveals the exploits of America s secret weapon in the air war
over Afghanistan: unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV (CC-DVS-R)

9:00 American Experience Chicago: City of the Century - Part I:
MudHole to Metropolis. Chicago's location at the end of a canal
that links the Mississippi to New York makes it attractive to
Yankee speculators as well as Irish canal diggers.
(CC-DVS-Repeats Thu. at 9 p.m.)

10:30 Outdoor Idaho - Down on the Farm. What's it like to be a
farmer these days? And how does a farm family maintain its
optimism at a time when farming faces so many challenges?
Outdoor Idaho profiles a third generation farm family, the
Jensens, as they use every tool at their disposal to make a
go of it on northern Idaho's wheat growing region of the Palouse.
(CC-Repeats Wed. at 10:30 p.m.)

January 14 Tuesday

5 PM Nova (CC-DVS-Repeats Mon. at 8 p.m.)

6:00 Desert Speaks (Rerun-Repeats Thu. at 10:30 p.m.)

8:00 Nova Last Flight of Bomber 31. A U.S. military team discovers
the wreckage of a World War II bomber on the edge of a volcano in
the remote wilderness of Kamchatka, Russia. Nearby are the remains
of several, but not all, of its crew.
(CC-DVS-Repeats Mon. at 8 p.m.)

9:00 American Experience Chicago: City of the Century - Part II:
The Revolution Has Begun. From the railroads to Marshall
Field's department store to Cyrus McCormick's reaper factory
to the stockyards, workers struggle for their share of a
new industrial capitalism.
(CC-DVS-Repeats Fri. at 8 p.m.)

10:30 River of Iron: Dreams of the Grand Canyon Railroad Follow
a group of modern-day adventurers on a raft trip down the
Colorado River into the heart of the Grand Canyon as they
retrace the historical adventures of Robert Brewster Stanton,
an engineer/ explorer who in 1889 set out to investigate the
possibilities of building a railroad through the extreme terrain
of the Grand Canyon.
(Repeats Fri. at 9:30 p.m.)

January 15 Wednesday

5 PM Secrets of the Dead (CC)

6:00 Smart Travels -- Europe with Rudy Maxa (Rerun)

8:00 Secrets of the Dead Tragedy at the Pole. This episode tells
the tragic story of Captain Robert Falcon Scott and his British
team who, in November 1911, began a trek across the ice of
Antarctica, striving to be the first to reach the South Pole.
(CC)

9:00 American Experience Chicago: City of the Century - Part III:
Battle for Chicago. Chicago develops the world's first skyscraper
downtown, with a unique American architectural style.
(CC-DVS-Repeats Sat. at 9 p.m.)

10:30 Outdoor Idaho Down on the Farm. What's it like to be a
farmer these days? And how does a farm family maintain its
optimism at a time when farming faces so many challenges?
Outdoor Idaho profiles a third generation farm family, the
Jensens, as they use every tool at their disposal to make a
go of it on northern Idaho's wheat growing region of the Palouse.
(CC-R-Repeats Mon. at 6 p.m.)

January 16 Thursday

5 PM Outdoor Idaho (CC-R)

6:00 Red Green Show (CC-Rerun)

8:00 Nature Under Antarctic Ice. Filmmaker Norbert Wu and his
film of life hidden under the Antarctic ice.
(CC-DVS-R-Repeats Sat. at 5 p.m.)

9:00 American Experience Chicago: City of the Century - Part I:
MudHole to Metropolis. Chicago's location at the end of a canal
that links the Mississippi to New York makes it attractive to
Yankee speculators as well as Irish canal diggers.
(CC-DVS-R)

10:30 Desert Speaks Faces of the Argentine Desert. The
continuation of life in the face of death is a daily battle
for the Argentine people. Viewers learn how the Earth's
natural resources can provide for life, even in the desert.
(R)

January 17 Friday

5 PM Washington Week (CC)

5:30 Wall $treet Week with Fortune (CC)

6:00 This Old House (CC)

8:00 American Experience Chicago: City of the Century - Part II:
The Revolution Has Begun. From the railroads to Marshall
Field's department store to Cyrus McCormick's reaper factory
to the stockyards, workers struggle for their share of a
new industrial capitalism.
(CC-DVS-R)

9:30 River of Iron: Dreams of the Grand Canyon Railroad Follow
a group of modern-day adventurers on a raft trip down the
Colorado River into the heart of the Grand Canyon as they
retrace the historical adventures of Robert Brewster Stanton,
an engineer/ explorer who in 1889 set out to investigate
the possibilities of building a railroad through the extreme
terrain of the Grand Canyon.
(R)

10:00 Now with Bill Moyers (CC)

January 18 Saturday

5 PM Nature (CC-DVS-R)

6:00 Austin City Limits (CC)

7:00 Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre (CC-DVS-R)

9:00 American Experience Chicago: City of the Century - Part III:
Battle for Chicago. Chicago develops the world's first skyscraper
downtown, with a unique American architectural style.
(CC-DVS-R)

10:30 Chicago By 'L' Chicago by 'L': Touring the Neighborhoods
takes a look at Chicago's ethnic diversity from on- board the 'L'
and provides a unique, elevated glimpse into the cultural life,
architectural features and hidden treasures of a number of
Chicago's neighborhoods and close-in suburbs.
(CC-Repeats Wed. at 9 p.m.)

To unsubscribe, please reply to this email with the word
"unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Oregon Public Broadcasting

post #383 of 8729 Old 01-18-2003, 08:44 PM

Is anyone else having problems receiving CSI on KOIN 6-1 tonight? I get nothing but black space on either of my two recievers
post #384 of 8729 Old 01-18-2003, 08:49 PM

Same here. Black on black...........

Steve
post #385 of 8729 Old 01-19-2003, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

same here black screen i hope they fix it before the game
post #386 of 8729 Old 01-21-2003, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Lipout
Is anyone else having problems receiving CSI on KOIN 6-1 tonight? I get nothing but black space on either of my two recievers

The CBS HD satellite receiver locked up requiring a trip to the satellite earth station to reset it.
post #387 of 8729 Old 01-21-2003, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by scottcorinna
Living on the downhill side of West Linn my reception of HD is pretty good.
KPTV is the only station I can't get. (With the occasional KPDX breakup.)

I think this is due to the antenna I'm using. (Channel Master 4228, 8 bay bow tie pointed up about 10 degrees.)

Has anyone had success with antenna stacking? Do antennas have to be on the same plane or can they be in different locations as long as the feed cables are of the same length?

Can anyone recommend a different antenna/s that are better for the frequencies in Portland?

Also I have the Dish 6000 receiver, would a different receiver work better?

Thanks for Any input.

Scott

Scott,

Stacking antennas is usually not worth the effort. It only give you a 3 db gain in signal level. A good quality preamplifier will do much better. You might try moving the antenna around. Even small changes in location have a big affect at UHF frequencies.

Rr you may want to try a second antenna, more directional, yagi antenna to pick up KPTV. Another West Linn viewer who was just over the bluff had to add a second antenna for KGW-DT.

Your Dish 6000 is fine in that it uses the NxtWave 2000 chip set for DTV reception which is one of the better second generation ones.

Your problem is most likely multipath (ghosts) which you can check on by looking at the analog UHF stations. Furtherest east from you is KNMT-24 analog is on the Sylvan (digitals there are KOIN, KATU, KNMT and eventually KWBP) site and furtherest west is KPDX-49 analog is at the KPDX site (KPDX-DT) with KPTV (KPTV-DT) and the Skyline Tower (KGW-DT, KOPB-DT and eventually KPXG-DT) in the middle of the two. Try to minimize the ghosting on 24 and 49 and see if it helps. If those signal are very snowy, indicating low signal level, then you should consider an antenna preamplifier (Channel Master 7775 or similar).
post #388 of 8729 Old 01-21-2003, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen any mention of the OPB airing of "River of Iron". It was awesome. One of the few nights that I could watch OPB during the entire show without major breakups. If you missed it, it was about a guy who envisioned building a railroad through the Grand Canyon in the late 1800's.

Tonight on OPB digital:
5PM Nova, don't know what it is or if it's HD.
6PM Smart Travels.
8 PM Nova Ancient Creature of the Deep.
9PM Journey of Man.

Should be a good night for OPB if their signal is stable.

post #389 of 8729 Old 01-22-2003, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello,

I am trying to join the HD club in the Portland area. I live in the shadow of a hill near Tigard off Taylor Ferry Road and have no line-of-sight to the towers.

I have a MyHD card installed in my PC and purchased a Channel Master 4221. I bolted the antenna to a 6' mast and just leaned it against a shrub at the side of my house facing in the general direction of the towers.

Much to my surprise KGW locked on immediately. I got a "no signal" messasge for all other stations. That was Monday afternoon. A fairly clear day. Last night I planned on watching Jay Leno-----nothing. Assuming KGW-DT was broadcasting last night is it normal to have good reception one time and nothing another time?

I realize I shouldn't expect too much with my antenna haphazardly propped up by a Camelia bush. Hopefully I will be able to do a proper installation with a rotator this coming weekend or next.

Dennis
post #390 of 8729 Old 01-22-2003, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

OPB was disappointing last night, only Smart Travels was HD, but Thursday night "River of Iron" is on at 9:30. This show is for certain in HD, I saw it earlier in the week and it is spectacular.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page