post #451 of 8675 Old 02-19-2003, 09:31 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Jai,

I don't know about the ADTV card specifically, but I think in general that the PC cards provide inferior ATSC reception to the stand-alone set top boxes. With the 6000 you should receive all the same OTA stations within range that the card picks up. Keep in mind that you would still need an antenna hooked up to it to receive the OTA broadcasts. Never really heard anything about the NTSC reception capabilities of the PC cards but I've found that the analog reception from my DirectTV STB is lousy and have heard similar things from many others including, I think, the Dish boxes. The NTSC receivers in both my TV and VCR are far better than what is in my D* box. I think the NTSC tuners in the DSS combination boxes are thrown in pretty much as an after thought because most people will use the ATSC tuner/DSS locals because of the far better clarity than what they get via analog OTA. The only time I watch any analog TV anymore is when I have to record something with the VCR while I'm watching something else off the STB (they only support one live output at a time).

I would say that you could just replace the tuner card with the STB or use them in combination if you find the need. With Dish, the 6000 is the only HD choice at the moment. The other alternative is DirecTV where there are a number of STB to choose from but D* does not currently carry Discovery HD. D* also does not offer ala carte programming either so even if they added it to their line up, you would need to sub to their minimum package before you could start adding anything else.

ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8675 Old 02-19-2003, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have the Dish 6000, w/8VSB card. We live in Milwaukie, OR. We get excellent reception of all local OTA D and HDTV channels, most in the 90% plus range. We use the Dish 6000 stretch mode for D broadcast in 4:3 aspect, as our Mits 46809 does not do stretch expand on the HDTV 1080i component input. Also, the 6000 stretch is far better than that on the Mits, I'm not sure how they do their stretch, but I see very little distortion, no people with extra fat asses (like mine in real life), even at the outside of screen. We basically watch everything via 6000 HD mode via component connection, PQ for Satellite SD and OTA Network D channels is good to very good, Satellite HD (HBO-E, Showtime-E, don't subscribe to Discovery HD) and OTA Network HD, are outstanding. If we change to Dish 6000 SD mode, via s-vid, for whatever reason, the Satellite and OTA NTSC PQ is OK to good.

We are desperately waiting for the release of the Dish 921 HD/PVR (expecting it in June or July), we will be standing in line the minute it's available. We are totally hooked on D and HD, now add HDPVR, a dream machine as far as I'm concerned.

I basically know nothing about HTPC's, and really don't care to, I spend enough time in front of this thing all day, don't care to incorporate it into my television viewing.
post #453 of 8675 Old 02-23-2003, 08:05 PM

Aaaarrrrg! Where's the HD for the Grammy's?!!
post #454 of 8675 Old 02-23-2003, 08:07 PM

Damnit KOIN!

Whats up with this!

Somebody better flip the switch soon!
post #455 of 8675 Old 02-23-2003, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TMBUTCH
Aaaarrrrg! Where's the HD for the Grammy's?!!

It's on now. Now all I need to do is get my blood pressure back down.

After all the hype, I was getting ready to send Lee the worst nastygram I've sent anyone in a long time.....

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #456 of 8675 Old 02-23-2003, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Boy he PQ for the first musical number was total crap. WIth KOIN's limited bandwidth and all those flashing lights, the pixellation was awful.

'looks like we're not going to getting the "stunning" pictures the rest of the country is raving about, due to KOIN's failed, long-term multicasting attempt. It's been getting very irritating during CSI, but this was real, real, bad.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #457 of 8675 Old 02-24-2003, 08:48 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Barry,

Yep, that was pretty dismal alright. Pixelation out the gazoo. By far the worst I've ever seen on KOIN. They even had the traffic cam up . And I can only agree about the regular shows as well. Maybe it's about time we started a formal complaint campaign regarding the multicasting. For all the good work Lee has done it's ludicrous for them to continue to split their bandwidth and give their viewers sub standard quality. WAKE UP KOIN!!! This stinks....

ron
post #458 of 8675 Old 02-24-2003, 08:58 AM

Count me as another being really disappointed with the broadcast last night. I finally turned it off.

Did anyone else experience a lot of video audio drop-out problems? I walked away from my set for a few minutes and came back to no audio...I had to tune-away and back again to get it back.

Keith
post #459 of 8675 Old 02-24-2003, 09:16 AM

Ditto!

First was very bummed about no HD for Simon and Garfunkel and then the No Doubt performance was horrible - not them just the picture. As far as dropouts are concerned, I lost picture and sound, accompanied by a loud POP! on return all through the broadcast. Perhaps 2 dozen times or more and it was NOT a reception issue. On the up side, at least I knew how light the traffic was in case I wanted to drive downtown on a Sunday night! LOL!

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
B. Franklin
post #460 of 8675 Old 02-24-2003, 09:41 AM

Liked: 11
I'm another viewer that's really disappointed with the heavy pixelization created by KOIN's limited bandwidth for HDTV.

I switched to the analog channel (on my antenna!) during the No Doubt "performance" to improve the picture (and then was sorry I had). Too bad it didn't improve the performance Yeesh. (Okay, so I'm old)

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #461 of 8675 Old 02-24-2003, 10:29 AM
bdb

I got just a few minor dropouts in west PDX. Every time there was a performance with sudden flashing lights (particularly No Doubt), there was a lot of pixellation.

In general it looked and sounded fantastic, though!

BB
post #462 of 8675 Old 02-24-2003, 08:42 PM

Anybody having trouble with KOIN tonight? My Dish 6K can't get it. Tried to switch to it at 0060-1 and the D6K did the 'ol erase. Re-scanned the digital stations and tried to tune KOIN in at 040-1. Get an 89% signal strength, but its black.
post #463 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 05:01 AM

I have the Samsung 165 and I noticed 6-1 was gone yesterday. I tuned 40-1 and Koin was there. I don't know if it was the STB or KOIN.
post #464 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 07:12 AM

My Samsung T165 also switched to 40-1 when I tried to tune 6-1 last night. I didn't notice any video or audio issues. I decided to see if I could record CSI Miami via firewire and IT WORKED!! Perhaps Lee has found a solution to this problem. With March Madness and the Masters coming up I'm looking for a deal on D-VHS tapes.
post #465 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 08:44 AM

My Samsung T151 did the same thing. Lost 6-1 from my favorites but was able to manually tune 40-1 with no problem and re-add to favorites. It must be related to the psip encoding? Picture and sound was perfect on 40-1

B. Franklin
post #466 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 09:03 AM
bdb

My Zenith also lost 6-x and found them at 40-x.

BB
post #467 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lipout
My Samsung T165 also switched to 40-1 when I tried to tune 6-1 last night. I didn't notice any video or audio issues. I decided to see if I could record CSI Miami via firewire and IT WORKED!! Perhaps Lee has found a solution to this problem...

And did everyone notice that the multi-casting was gone?

Perhaps Lee/KOIN are responding to our disappointment with bandwidth sharing induced pixelization!

I caught the premiere of "My Big Fat Greek Life" on KOIN in HDTV last night, and it was great! Thanks KOIN!

post #468 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 10:38 AM

I didn't check 40-2, was it not active last night when KOIN was using 40-1? If not and they are ditching multi-casting, I for one would heartily yell "YIPPEE" or some other forum friendly expletive free verbal celebration!!!

B. Franklin
post #469 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 12:59 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And did everyone notice that the multi-casting was gone? Perhaps Lee/KOIN are responding to our disappointment with bandwidth sharing induced pixelization!

Wow! If that really is the case (knocking on wood and keeping fingers crossed here) I too would have to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to Lee/KOIN as well. I pried myself away from the TV last night and went to see Big Head Todd and the Monsters at the Crystal Ballroom so I didn't notice any goings-on. KOIN-SD was still coming through on 6-2 when I was watching Entertainment Tonight between 7:00-7:30 before I left to go downtown. Have to check it out when I get home from work tonight.

ron
post #470 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello from Beaverton...

I'm usually in the CRT forum, never been in here until today.
I'm here because there's a accessdtv I'm thinking of purchasing, which I'll have to act quick on or I'll miss out, but I've been advised I may need a roof top antenna to get much in this area.

I hate to have to ask dumb questions, I do apologise, but I may not have time to do the research myself or I could miss out on the deal...

That type of antenna is out of the question, looking at apartment living for a while. I'm looking to see if there are alternatives to the roof antennae, or if reception problems have been overstated. (I'd like to read all the posts in this thread but with nearly 500 that's totally impossible.)

I have one of those amplified antenna's for SD, the kind from rca that you used to get with dish network... Will that help at all?

My fear is after buying the thing I'll only get one channel with Jay leno's big head in HD and that's it, and if that's the case I'll wait for newer technology cards...

Any opinions welcome.
Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #471 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 06:03 PM

Lipout-

Quote:

My Samsung T165 also switched to 40-1 when I tried to tune 6-1 last night. I didn't notice any video or audio issues. I decided to see if I could record CSI Miami via firewire and IT WORKED!! Perhaps Lee has found a solution to this problem. With March Madness and the Masters coming up I'm looking for a deal on D-VHS tapes.

Dang! I ended up taking my JVC 30K back because I was worried it would fail and I couldn't record KOIN. Are you still able to record KOIN via Firewire? I assume you are using the Samsung 165. What D-VHS deck are you using? If I can record KOIN I may have to go pick up the Mitsubishi D-VHS.
post #472 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 06:44 PM
bdb

pcCinema,

If you're in Beaverton, you're probably quite close to the towers (which are on the Sylvan hill). Locate them (its not hard!), then drive around and get a good idea if there are major obstacles (e.g. HILLS) between you and them. If not, a good indoor UHF antenna should do the trick. I'm NW of Beaverton and don't have complete line of sight, but I get a fine signal with a Silver Sensor. Then again, I have an STB, not a PC card.

BB
post #473 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 08:06 PM

Any one get poor sound on CBS during Jag. (breaking up)

Thanks
post #474 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 08:29 PM

bertschb,
I am sad to report that tonight 6-1 has returned (with some audio problems) and that I once again I am unable to record KOIN with the T165 and Mits DVHS. Hopefully KOIN is working on the issues. It seems strange that there has been no input from Lee ?
post #475 of 8675 Old 02-25-2003, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lipout
bertschb,
I am sad to report that tonight 6-1 has returned (with some audio problems) and that I once again I am unable to record KOIN with the T165 and Mits DVHS. Hopefully KOIN is working on the issues. It seems strange that there has been no input from Lee ?

Yep, and now the sound is the worst I've ever heard on KOIN: constant breakups, about every 1.5 seconds.

I just tuned to KATU-DT, where the 5.1 sound is breath-taking, to verify it's not my SIR-T165.

This is very depressing.

post #476 of 8675 Old 02-26-2003, 08:29 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I checked when I got home yesterday and had the "full compliment" of 6-1, 6-2 and 6-3. I knew it was too good to be true . Sound seemed fine with the mits box although I only checked briefly and didn't watch any CBS shows last night. I feel for you sammy owners....

ron
post #477 of 8675 Old 02-26-2003, 09:16 AM

Lipout-

Quote:

Thanks for checking again. I really appreciate it. I had a feeling when KOIN switched back to 6-1 that you might lose the ability to record once again. The good news is I suspect Lee follows this thread and saw that you were able to record when KOIN was on 40-1. Perhaps that information will help them troubleshoot the problem. BTW, where did you get your Mits DVHS deck?
post #478 of 8675 Old 02-26-2003, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Bdb,

Thanks...

I've managed to read a few pages of this thread, and while HD sounds appealing at first it sounds more frustrating than anything after reading this thread. I am going to forget about it for now, I just don't need the headaches. Maybe when the broadcasters get their stuff together, but I'd want to go postal on them if I had half the things I hear about here going on.

Sounds like they should be paying you guys to troubleshoot their problems, your HD gear should all be free, sounds like you are paying to alpha test.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #479 of 8675 Old 02-27-2003, 07:21 AM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by pcCinema
I've managed to read a few pages of this thread, and while HD sounds appealing at first it sounds more frustrating than anything after reading this thread.

Keep in mind that people tend to post when something's going wrong. No one's going to post "wow, everything worked great today" because that's typically the case.

I find it hard to imagine why anyone would spend all the money to buy a big screen and NOT spend a few hundred more to get OTA HD. Its the most spectacular programming I've ever seen, and the only decent signal besides DVD. Even SD looks better than cable.

BB
post #480 of 8675 Old 02-27-2003, 08:22 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

I'd have to second that. Unless you're the type that's very easily frustrated, the benefits far outweigh the problems and inconveniences that come from being an early adopter at this point. Just don't buy one of those Samsung set top boxes . I've only been watching HD for about a year and a half now but I'm completely spoiled and wouldn't want to do without. And that's on a 36" 4:3 set. I couldn't even imagine having to watch analog/cable SD on a decent sized big screen....

ron
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page