Portland, OR - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8715 Old 03-19-2003, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello,

A few days ago Marissadad posted, "For those of you looking into HD on cable, remember that you only have to have Basic cable to get the HD feeds. Do not let them wring your wallet and tell you that you must subscribe to any digital tiers, this is BS, pure and simple."

I am waiting for HD on Comcast since I can only get KGW OTA and am not interested in sattelite receivers. I find it hard to believe Comcast is going to make HD available for Basic Cable subscibers without extra charges. Marissadad are you sure about this? Does anyone know what Comcast is doing in other areas where they have HD available?

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8715 Old 03-19-2003, 04:47 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Dennis,

Take a look at this sticky thread at the top of the Local Forum. It's been a while since I looked at it but IIRC there was some good info about comcast and cable HD in general. I believe what Marissadad was referring to was that there is some regulation on the books somewhere that says something to the effect that anything provided gratis OTA cannot be charged for by other providers (something like that anyway). Best I can recall others are just paying for the receiver rental and a minor charge for the "service" ($5-12 or so?).

ron
post #543 of 8715 Old 03-23-2003, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else unable to get PBS yesterday? Wondering if it is a blip with the station or my E*6K. Thanks.
post #544 of 8715 Old 03-23-2003, 08:29 AM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by TMBUTCH
Anyone else unable to get PBS yesterday? Wondering if it is a blip with the station or my E*6K. Thanks.

My Zenith STB was picking it up on 27-1, the actual UHF channel.

BB
post #545 of 8715 Old 03-23-2003, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

My 6000 remapped to 27-1, showed a signal of 82%, froze and then tuned to 10-00 the analog channel and it was blank. I tried several times throughout the day with the same results.

Who else had problems with KOIN's PSIP while they screwed around with the channels the last few days? My 6000 would show all 3 sub channels but only 6-1 was active. When I tried to change to 6-2 or 6-3 to see if another game was being shown, it would remap to 40-1.

Yesterday it was OK with 3 games going, but they looked like crap. Whenever KOIN or KGW shows a game in SD I always switch to my 27" Analog TV and tune in off the air, the picture looks much better. The Blazer game last night was horrible on KGW but looked great Analog.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #546 of 8715 Old 03-23-2003, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PBS is also remapped to 27-1 on my 6000. When I try to switch to it, I just get a blank screen and then it switches to KGW-D. KGW-D is the next entry in my list.

Cris

post #547 of 8715 Old 03-23-2003, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Lee/KOIN for not multicasting during the NCAA BB today. It looked much better than I recall last year.

Dave
post #548 of 8715 Old 03-23-2003, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else noticing a pretty severe chroma delay in KATU-DT these days? It looks like about 4 pixels, and I cannot believe it's coming from the network that way. Here's an image I captured during the Oscars. Notice that the chroma delay is actually larger than Jennifer Garner's dress straps.

I am using a MyHD HDTV card, but I have seen this on more than one system.

UPDATE: It appears to be fairly common across the country. See this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=2023050
LL
post #549 of 8715 Old 03-24-2003, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw it too, Rob, but I thought it was the lighting.

post #550 of 8715 Old 03-24-2003, 08:22 PM

OK...what the heck is going on with PBS?! Anyone?
post #551 of 8715 Old 03-24-2003, 08:30 PM

I thought I had a pretty critical eye but I didn't notice the chroma delay last night.
post #552 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

OPB was back up last night, I watched Ansel Adams without a hitch.

post #553 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 08:41 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

The PQ was the least of the problems to me. That audio was a mess. I was assuming it was KATU (naturally ) until I read the AA thread in the HD forum. I could swear I flipped by 2-1 briefly Friday night and encountered the same no-center-channel audio from their 5.1 stream and just figured it was their equipment acting up some more. I remember thinking/hoping at the time it wouldn't still be a problem by the time of the AA on Sunday. Did anybody else happen to notice that? I don't usually watch much ABC but I did a little last night waiting for Miracles to come on (preempted by a double shot of The Practice despite what showed in the guide ) and the center channel seemed to be back in order but there were numerous audio dropouts and some video freeze ups as well. Not sure if those were my reception or station probs. Anybody else?

ron
post #554 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ron, during the AA I experienced many video/audio glitches but attributed it to my reception. I normally have a very strong signal strength, but for some reason I was fluctuating around 75% that evening.

I did not have any issues with the center channel going back to the left surround, but there were many audio dropouts and video freezeups and pixelations.

post #555 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 10:46 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Marissadad,

So you're saying you were getting a good strong center channel during the AA then? As a large percentage of people reported in the HD forum thread, my center channel was next to nonexistant. I had to crank the center all the way up to the max to make it sound half way decent (I've got my front mains spaced pretty far apart because of a door right next to the TV). There didn't seem to be much if any surround either, mostly just the front left and right channels on a 5.1 stream.

ron
post #556 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

My sound was fine, all the vocals were coming from the center channel. I even stood up and checked the rear surrounds and they had some ambient noise coming from them. I didn't have any audio issues except for the occassional dropout.

post #557 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 12:33 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. That is very strange then. Sounds just like the widely varying experiences reported in the AA thread except that we're receiving from the same affiliate. I wonder what the heck causes something like that. It must have something to do with the way our different receivers handle the audio. Since it's usually not a problem I wonder if ABC was using some different kind of Dolby transmission than the usual format to send the signal or something then? Weird.

ron
post #558 of 8715 Old 03-25-2003, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That is weird, Ron, I went over and read the Official AA forum after you mentioned it above and it didn't seem like a National issue, but more localized and equipment specific to different affiliates.

I did have the weird center channel problem a few weeks ago and I sent an email to Alan at KATU and the problem went away but I never heard back from him on what the problem was.

Did anyone with a Dish 6000 have a center channel issue with the Academy Awards?

post #559 of 8715 Old 03-26-2003, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Any HDTV owners in the Coastal Range West of Yamhill receiving locals?

I am trying to decide if HDTV will work for me 8 miles west of Yamhill? With a 14' rooftop antenna (35' up and amplified in the house) I am currently able to receive most of the Portland locals (except 32) without too much static or ghosting. What do people think my odds are with a HD receiver?

I would probably be getting a HD DirectTV receiver so at least I would gain HBO and SHO HD even if the locals don't work.
post #560 of 8715 Old 03-26-2003, 06:14 PM

AA center channel came in fine for me here in Vancouver, WA on an SIR-T150.

Well... I still had my usual need to cycle power every 30-45 minutes to receive KATU audio -- but when the audio did come in, it came in perfect. (The SIR-T150 has had consistent trouble locking onto KATU's audio since December'ish 2002. Before then all was great.)

Erik

p.s. oh, just remembered, I did have the occasional audio blink-outs I've read about during the show, but very few.
post #561 of 8715 Old 03-27-2003, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul, if you are getting a fairly decent signal with Analog, you should be OK with the digital. You could always buy a standalone STB from somewhere that has a 30 day return policy to try it out.

post #562 of 8715 Old 03-28-2003, 04:51 PM

No audio on 6-1 for NCAA BBall ??
post #563 of 8715 Old 03-28-2003, 04:57 PM

I also have no audio on KOIN.
post #564 of 8715 Old 03-28-2003, 05:11 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Hey everybody,

Make sure to post your comments about the games (good and bad) in this thread in the HD Programming Forum. CBS Central is going to be reviewing it for feedback so be sure to include the station call letters and city in your posts. This would be a good time to complain about multicasting and pixelation if you see any and don't like it. Perhaps we can get CBS to see that it shouldn't be done during HD sports. You could also complain that CBS didn't send a nice new 5.1 encoder to KOIN as well . Enjoy the games.

ron
post #565 of 8715 Old 03-31-2003, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Watched some of Shanghai Noon on Koin yesterday. For the first time really noted the pixelation on the rapid movements, especially the fight scenes. If this is due to the lower bitrate from multicasting, then I have to add to the concern that the extra digital channels are taking away from the HD experience.
Even she who must be obeyed, who usually just humors me on HD wondered why it got "fuzzy" so often

michael
post #566 of 8715 Old 03-31-2003, 09:38 AM

OK, KOIN has officially pissed me off way too many times. I just want to thank them for ruining what would have been a great broadcast of shanghai noon in HD, by multicasting it on both 6-2 and 6-3. what a grand waste of bandwidth. There was more pixelization on the presentation last night than on a divx encoded MPEG movie. If KOIN doesnt stop wasting HD bandwidth I am going to personally make a trip to their office and give them a piece of my mind.

Am I the only one angry at KOIN?
post #567 of 8715 Old 03-31-2003, 09:48 AM

Well I finally got my system set up. A friend gave me a big multi-directional antenna, it had a box on the antenna and a separate pre amp. The one on the antenna didn't work and seemed to block everything. The pre amp didn't seem to add anything. Now the question is after all of my reading about direction and setup. I still can't seem to get 22 kpxg PAX, 32 kwbp WB, & 24 knmt TBN. I can get all the others OK but not real great. I have been watching analog with a set of rabbit ears for years and can even get some of the digital with them (but not very well). I live east of Corbett about 25 miles from the transmitters and they are all within a degree of each other according to the compass charts, and I am up on a hill. Are those stations up with DTV and just transmitting a low signal. I also don't get a real strong signal on any of them, 2 (katu ABC)especially is weak. I am using a Samsung SIR151.

Willy
post #568 of 8715 Old 03-31-2003, 10:01 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

What time was Shanghai Noon on? I'm not sure of the proper terminology but when they shut down the traffic cam for sports they usually map the SD feed to both 6-2 and 6-3 so it shouldn't be using any additional bandwidth (same feed just mapped to two channel slots). Didn't get to watch any of the HD games Friday but did watch the Texas/Michigan St. game yesterday and as usual they shut down the traffic cam. I had checked in earlier during the beginning of the first game and was glad I did because there was no audio! Called up and talked to a lady in master control and she said she didn't know how to fix it but she would make some calls to get ahold of someone who did. Apparently she reached somebody in the know because when I checked in a little later it was back up. With the traffic cam off the pixelation is not horrendous but still a distraction during screen graphic disolves and when ever something flashes across the camera up fairly close and "surprises" the mpeg averaging.

ron
post #569 of 8715 Old 03-31-2003, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by R11
What time was Shanghai Noon on? I'm not sure of the proper terminology but when they shut down the traffic cam for sports they usually map the SD feed to both 6-2 and 6-3 so it shouldn't be using any additional bandwidth (same feed just mapped to two channel slots).

ron

hmm, if that is true, then why does KOIN look soo much worse than KGW and KATU? Do they just need to upgrade some of there equipment that does the compression?
post #570 of 8715 Old 03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Well, KATU does do things differently with only one feed period. I really wish the others would follow suit (kind of ironic too, seeing as they are the only one who does 720p which could probably actually support an additional SD channel with no problems....). With KGW I see similar pixelation as KOIN. I think even worse on their SD feed. They don't ever further divide their bandwidth for a traffic cam or anything but IIRC Lee Wood has said KGW's equipment was not quite as efficient or something so they end up being pretty close in the end result.

ron
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page