Forum Jump: 

post #8611 of 8676 Old 11-05-2013, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

My coworker who lives close to Montgomery Park is using a UHF loop/rabbit ears antenna from Radio Shack with 100% success.

Thanks for the tip. I can only hope my problem with the Mohu Leaf is the multipath reflections, and that I need a more directional antenna.

Just bought a Terk HDTVa from Amazon ($30 Used from their Warehouse). So hopefully that does the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 8676 Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water- View Post

Hello,

New to the forum. Please direct me to the proper place if this should go elsewhere. [EDIT: I posted this in the technical forum as well, ok yes I'm a bit antsy...in case that was a better location for diagnostic/troubleshooting than here]

I'm having issues getting the the local OTA channels.

After Comcast encrypted their QAM channels this week we've been left in the lurch. Trying to at least find a way to get channel 43 KATU (2.1) ABC so I can catch a fooskie ball game tomorrow (Saturday).

Here is a profile of where I live: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae5e7bc1f5fa

Right now I've got this setup:

up on a balcony 20ft up RCA 'pad' antenna with a fixed coax coming out > splitter (to connect the antenna with the next part) > 25ft coax cable to the TV.

The TV and antenna are on the south-facing side of our apartment. The picture (link below) showing the antenna closer up is showing directionality back towards the N/NE where the broadcast towers are located.

We just got this $30 pad antenna two nights ago to try a first step at getting the OTA channels we want, it can be returned to BB in a heartbeat.

If I need to get a different device to couple whatever antenna with my 25ft coax cable, and get remove the splitter (possibly causing issues)--I'm headed to radio shack after work.

Results:

Last night and the night before we got OPB 10.1/2/3. And were getting 8.1 (NBC) in really strong/well.  This morning I unplugged tv, let it sit a while. Then went through a full scan again. This time 2.1 (43) ABC KATU came in questionably, along with the OPB group, and FOX. But now 8.1 NBC was nowhere to be seen. Trying to get a 'read' on it manually adding was showing no signal at all.

How can it be this flighty? Within 12 hours, get a strong 8.1 and no 2.1 or 12.1 yet the next morning gets a weak 2.1 and 12.1 but no 8.1?

Yes, my setup is COMPLETELY jury rigged and not how I plan to keep anything. Seems like I need to remove splitter and get a better antenna. Or could the splitter alone be causing my troubles? At ground level ant>tv was just getting 8.1 and OPB group.

At the distance from the transmitters I would have expected better reception..

pictures:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxYl3RAqCQBbZmROLWZsYTlyS2c&usp=sharing

Suggestions, help?

Thanks!

Water- I think you're my neighbor in the next complex!  I live in Sylvan Heights and I'm having the exact same problem as you, now that Comcast encrypted the QAM channels.  

Here's my report  http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae40848a83bb

I'm having the same exact results.  ABC (2.1) CBS (6.1) and CW (32.1) don't come in at all, and it's my understanding that they all broadcast from the same tower, which is only about a mile from me.  NBC (8.1) and PBS (10.1) both come in very clearly.

I've tried two indoor antennas: a Terk HDTVa, and now a Terk FDTV1a.  I've tried both with and without the amp connected and have the same results.  I also tried the paperclip, like George Molnar suggested, but I lost NBC when I did that.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

post #8613 of 8676 Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Thanks for the tip. I can only hope my problem with the Mohu Leaf is the multipath reflections, and that I need a more directional antenna.

Just bought a Terk HDTVa from Amazon ($30 Used from their Warehouse). So hopefully that does the trick.

Sadly this didn't do much for me. I was able to pull a few more channels (but they were mostly crap, like home shopping and local access channels). I can't get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS. That's really all I care about.
post #8614 of 8676 Old 11-12-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallan View Post

Water- I think you're my neighbor in the next complex!  I live in Sylvan Heights and I'm having the exact same problem as you, now that Comcast encrypted the QAM channels.  

Here's my report  http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae40848a83bb

I'm having the same exact results.  ABC (2.1) CBS (6.1) and CW (32.1) don't come in at all, and it's my understanding that they all broadcast from the same tower, which is only about a mile from me.  NBC (8.1) and PBS (10.1) both come in very clearly.

I've tried two indoor antennas: a Terk HDTVa, and now a Terk FDTV1a.  I've tried both with and without the amp connected and have the same results.  I also tried the paperclip, like George Molnar suggested, but I lost NBC when I did that.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Check at Radio Shack to see if they have a variable RF attunator or a 10 db RF attenuator. As close as you are your TV is probably being over driven.
post #8615 of 8676 Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM

okay so you'll probably laugh but I decided instead of paying $30 for a really lousy unamplified pad indoor antenna sitting on the roof... to get that clearstream 2 one. First of all, we get the most channels yet. And strong-steady signal on them all, EXCEPT channel 40 (6.1 KOIN CBS).

This comes from the exact same spot at channel 43 (2.1 KATU ABC).

How can I get a 'zero signal' in the readout even trying to add that channel while I get high marks from channel 43?

Is using an RF attenuator really what I want to do? Won't that impact all my other channels (negatively?).  Okay, so its better than trying to get reception 70 miles from a tower, but, not getting reception is not getting reception, at the end of the day. Certainly many thousands of people live within 2 miles of the transmitted just as I do--what is the solution?

post #8616 of 8676 Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Sadly this didn't do much for me. I was able to pull a few more channels (but they were mostly crap, like home shopping and local access channels). I can't get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS. That's really all I care about.

So I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that with a Winegard SS-3000 I am able to pull in a bunch of channels. The bad news is that I have to hold the antenna pointing West outside of my window (my window points North, slightly east). Seeing that I live on the 20th floor of an apartment complex, holding an antenna outside the window isn't a really practical solution. It'd be nice if I could build or find a smaller antenna that uses the same principles of the Winegard SS-3000 (scatter plane) so that I could hang it outside the window a bit.

The other bad news is that I do not receive ABC (2.1) or CBS (6.1). Are those VHF stations? I do see they come from a different location than most of the other stations. Those stations are pretty much 90 degrees west of my window (completely orthogonal), while the other ones are maybe 66 degrees west of my window which allows me to pick them up if I hang the antenna outside of my window.

UPDATE: Hanging a Mohu Leaf out the window in the same spot pretty much gets me the same number of channels as the Winegard SS-3000. So I'm more inclined to just attach it to a small mast so I can temporarily hang it outside the window when I want to watch TV. It's small enough and I'm high enough that no one would likely even notice it enough to complain.
post #8617 of 8676 Old 11-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

UPDATE: Hanging a Mohu Leaf out the window in the same spot pretty much gets me the same number of channels as the Winegard SS-3000. So I'm more inclined to just attach it to a small mast so I can temporarily hang it outside the window when I want to watch TV. It's small enough and I'm high enough that no one would likely even notice it enough to complain.

Make sure the Leaf is oriented correctly for best reception. The cable should either exit the top or bottom of the Leaf.
post #8618 of 8676 Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

Make sure the Leaf is oriented correctly for best reception. The cable should either exit the top or bottom of the Leaf.

yup, that's how I have it.
post #8619 of 8676 Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wood View Post

Check at Radio Shack to see if they have a variable RF attunator or a 10 db RF attenuator. As close as you are your TV is probably being over driven.

Nice to see you again!  :)    Hope things are going well for you.

post #8620 of 8676 Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, Lee.  I checked with Radio Shack and they don't carry RF attenuators anymore.  But I'm wondering if that will really help because I tried disconnecting the amplifier from the antenna and ran a channel scan; it then lost all NBC and PBS stations.  So, given that I need the amplifier to receive those stations, won't the attenuator make it even worse?

post #8621 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Anyone else having lots of quality issues with CBS / KOIN lately? I'm seeing good signal strength, but terrible signal / symbol quality, which presents as audio/video dropouts. Other stations also on Sylvan are fine.

Example graph from one of my HDHomeruns, showing the SS / SEQ / SNQ graphs:

again, other primary stations, like ABC, NBC, PBS, are fine.
post #8622 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM

I am also having issues with Koin-TV CBS signal quality, it has been going on for several weeks now.. The signal strength is 100% but the signal quality is averaging around 65% and the symbol quality will occasionally drop from 100 to 60% resulting in pixilation and dropouts in the recordings. I monitor several of the local OTA channels and all of them except for Koin are 100% signal strength, quality and symbol. My graphing chart looks very much like yours but my signal strength is 100%. I sent an email to Koin to have them investigate the issue but I never heard back from them. 

Blue=Signal strength  Red= Symbol quality  Green= Signal quality

post #8623 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Yes I have noticed the issue since 11/10 and from my DVR recordings probably started before that since we don't watch much live TV. Lots of pixelation/drop outs.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #8624 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Nice to see you again!  smile.gif     Hope things are going well for you.

Things in Seattle are going well, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallan View Post

Thanks for the advice, Lee.  I checked with Radio Shack and they don't carry RF attenuators anymore.  But I'm wondering if that will really help because I tried disconnecting the amplifier from the antenna and ran a channel scan; it then lost all NBC and PBS stations.  So, given that I need the amplifier to receive those stations, won't the attenuator make it even worse?

As close as you are I still suspect signal overload. When you bypassed the amplifier did you also remove the power injector? Aiming could also be different if you are actually picking up lower level reflections/ghosts rather than a direct signal.
post #8625 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlasher View Post

Anyone else having lots of quality issues with CBS / KOIN lately? I'm seeing good signal strength, but terrible signal / symbol quality, which presents as audio/video dropouts. Other stations also on Sylvan are fine.

Example graph from one of my HDHomeruns, showing the SS / SEQ / SNQ graphs:

again, other primary stations, like ABC, NBC, PBS, are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboren View Post

I am also having issues with Koin-TV CBS signal quality, it has been going on for several weeks now.. The signal strength is 100% but the signal quality is averaging around 65% and the symbol quality will occasionally drop from 100 to 60% resulting in pixilation and dropouts in the recordings. I monitor several of the local OTA channels and all of them except for Koin are 100% signal strength, quality and symbol. My graphing chart looks very much like yours but my signal strength is 100%. I sent an email to Koin to have them investigate the issue but I never heard back from them. 

Blue=Signal strength  Red= Symbol quality  Green= Signal quality

I would only suggest that the wet leaves are now mostly off the trees and all of the reflections and attenuations have changed. Welcome to the fourth season.
post #8626 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I would only suggest that the wet leaves are now mostly off the trees and all of the reflections and attenuations have changed. Welcome to the fourth season.

And that would only affect (1) channel?
post #8627 of 8676 Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM

post #8628 of 8676 Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 AM

It appears that Koin local 6 did something yesterday between 4:30 and 5:00 PST to fix part of their issue. I am no longer seeing the symbol quality drop below 100% and the signal quality is better, it is staying around 72 to 73%. I didn't notice any pixilation or a/v drop in last nights recordings so it is an improvement. I hope it only gets better from here.

Blue=Signal strength  Red=Symbol quality  Green=Signal quality

post #8629 of 8676 Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Well, the Koin local 6 fix appears to be only temporary, it is back to the way it was before.

post #8630 of 8676 Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Things in Seattle are going well, thanks.
As close as you are I still suspect signal overload. When you bypassed the amplifier did you also remove the power injector? Aiming could also be different if you are actually picking up lower level reflections/ghosts rather than a direct signal.

The antenna I used can be plugged in directly to the TV or plugged into the amp first, then the amp has a coax going to the TV.  I'm not sure what a power injector is.  I'm a newbie here, so when you say picking up lower level reflections/ghosts, I'm not sure what that means either.  I also tried connecting a 25ft coax and tried the antenna away from the TV in the window, but it only made things worse.  You don't think it has anything to do with the geography?  Even though it's so close, the tower is on the other side of the hill from me and isn't in direct line of sight.

Thanks in advance Lee, or to anyone who could answer these questions.

post #8631 of 8676 Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 AM

I went to Fry's to see if they had the attenuator, and the guy in the components dept looked and looked, but couldn't find any.  He said that was the first time in his 16 years of working there that anyone had ever asked about one! :eek:  I then checked with a specialty electronics store, Oregon Electronics, and they didn't have any either.  I was really surprised.  But they were able to order one and it'll be in in about a week or so.

post #8632 of 8676 Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17

Solid Signal has a 20 db variable attenuator for under $11, free shipping.  Amazon has 3, 6 and 10 db in-line attenuators.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=1296f&d=antennas-direct-20db-variable-attenuator-for-vhf-uhf-hd-off-air-reception-1296f&sku=853748001293

post #8633 of 8676 Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Thank you, TalkingRat!  I did see those on Amazon, but with shipping being a lot more than the device itself, I was trying to find it locally.  But I think I'll give that Solid Signal one a shot.  That one can be variated from 0 to 20 db, correct?  Could you please tell me what picking up lower level reflections/ghosts means?  Should I change out this omni-directional antenna for a directional one?

post #8634 of 8676 Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM

shoot I've got one you can have...I don't need it
post #8635 of 8676 Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Spalding View Post

shoot I've got one you can have...I don't need it

Awesome!  Sent you a pm.

post #8636 of 8676 Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM

UPDATE:

CBS/6 made some changes/improvements in a substantial way, on what appears to be halfway through week 46, somewhere around Nov 12-13th. It's very apparent on the graphs on all my tuners:

Thank you, whomever made the improvement. Much appreciated.
post #8637 of 8676 Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Now if KOIN could just give us a decent picture out of the full bitrate they're giving us.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #8638 of 8676 Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlasher View Post

UPDATE:

CBS/6 made some changes/improvements in a substantial way, on what appears to be halfway through week 46, somewhere around Nov 12-13th. It's very apparent on the graphs on all my tuners:

Thank you, whomever made the improvement. Much appreciated.

Don't celebrate until the leaves are back on the trees.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #8639 of 8676 Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Completely different topic, has anyone tried to get any of the Centralia stations from Portland? I realize it's a long shot, with probably hills in the way..

There's a station however that broadcasts a lot of the local Seattle sports games, (Like the Seahawks game tonight) known as Joe TV, KZJO, available on UHF 25.. (Sadly low power)

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=K25CH

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=598662

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=Centralia&State=WA&ZIP=98531&Housing=S&Accuracy=4&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=46.7417817&Lon=-122.9490589

https://maps.google.com/?q=http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/contourplot.kml?gmap=2%26appid=1440086%26call=K25CH-D%26freq=0.0%26contour=51%26city=NORTH_BEND%26state=WA.kml

At 6,100 watts, I wonder if we have even the remotest chance of getting the station, but it looks like from the contour plot it's -expected- to reach down into Longview.
post #8640 of 8676 Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Liked: 11
Afraid not. Due to terrain, the only areas that far south with any shot of receiving ch. 25 are the upper mountain slopes facing the broadcast location.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1440086&map=Y
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page