Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 8714 Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post

Afraid not. Due to terrain, the only areas that far south with any shot of receiving ch. 25 are the upper mountain slopes facing the broadcast location.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1440086&map=Y

Thanks, that gives me a good view of the what and why.. too bad.. would appreciate the extra sources. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 8714 Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Regarding the RF attenuator, I have one now and am wondering if someone could please tell me if need to connect the amp when using it?  And where would you guys suggest I set the adjustable setting to?

TIA

post #8643 of 8714 Old 12-17-2013, 03:38 AM

KPDX is testing sub-channels. 49.6 is active (broadcast Western Oregon Univ. channel), 49.7 was active with audio for one day.

post #8644 of 8714 Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Are you sure it was KPDX and not KWVT without PSIP?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8645 of 8714 Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 PM

49.6 is still active but blank. 27.3 added an audio channel, radio station.
post #8646 of 8714 Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM

Tonight 49.6 shows TV Scout, a new OTA channel guide. But signal is still weak.
post #8647 of 8714 Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 AM

GOOSE HOLLOW problem

I tried to second guess the problem based upon past posts, but am not sure of the precise problem.  I suspect it's related to foliage change or cold and rain.

I have lost my signal strength on 2.1, 2.2 and 49.1 - it has disappeared sometime in November 2013. 

As in past years, it started disappearing at night and coming back during the day, but my WMC digital signal test shows them to all come in at 3 orange bars, whereas all others (except 17.1) come in at something close to 4 green bars each.  In past years, I have managed to have decent signals in the evening, loosing these channels around 10-11 PM and seeing them return after 8 AM.  But, NOT this year.  Daytime signal strength is too low to present an image or sound, at 3 orange bars signal strength (WMC test meter.)

I have a digital roof antenna that picks up signal from my home in Goose Hollow.  (Yes, it's a hollow at the foot of the west hills so pointing at a place between the two TV towers is a little tricky.)  However, most of the year, I have good signal for all channels, including these missing ones.  And because it's a seasonal loss, I have to wonder whether it's related to seasonal changes.

I do not assume it's an attenuation problem, it's certainly not a connection issue.

Any ideas?  I've checked cable connections (antenna, splitter and TV/PC capture card connections - all are solid, no visual jacket problems - no evidence of RF leaking in.

I can live with the seasonal loss, I guess, but would surely welcome recommended solutions.  Thanks.

post #8648 of 8714 Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM

GOOSE HOLLOW update

The previous post (below) is actually four days old, moved to this, the proper thread, from elsewhere on this site.

To indicate that this problem appears to be seasonal or weather related, at 8:30 AM this Friday morning, Windows Media Center signal tester shows the following:

49.1 has magically improved with 4 green bars and coming in with no video or audio problems.  (I suspect it will disappear this evening, as it usually does.)

2.1 has gotten worse, from 3 orange bars it is now one red bar, indicating that the signal has gotten weaker

2.2 remains at 3 orange bars without providing any audio or video.

I tried re-testing 27.1 and 27.2  and whereas both have previously been at 3 orange bars - providing no image or audio, this AM 27.1 is now at one red bar and 27.2 remains at three orange bars - neither providing enough signal for video or audio.

Since I watch OTA via WMC, Microsoft has not added 27.3 (radio) to my active channel list, so I cannot check the signal quality.

Finally, one other addition: The OTA signal from the digital roof antenna is split to feed three TVs, thus reducing power to each.  None of the three TVs are receiving enough strength to get watchable signals for 2.1, 2.2, 27.1 or 27.2 and boy, do I wish I could get channel 17.

Any ideas on how to improve these signals are greatly appreciated.

post #8649 of 8714 Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM

37.2 Azteca has been dropped. 17.3 carries TVScout. 49.5 is now Azteca. So maybe KPDX will be adding 49.2, 49.3 and 49.4 next? Bounce, Movies! ???
post #8650 of 8714 Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I doubt KPDX has added anything. Have you checked that it's not KWVT running feeds without PSIP? You can tell by checking if the signal strength is different on 49-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8651 of 8714 Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM

37.2 is definitely gone. I'm still picking up Azteca on 49.5 with a strong signal.
post #8652 of 8714 Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

KWVT-LD has Azteca on Program 5. If the PSIP was screwed up, it would show as... 49-5.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #8653 of 8714 Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM

From "real" channel 49: Active: 17.2, 17.3, 27.2, 27.3. Gone: 37.2
post #8654 of 8714 Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Confirmed online  -- TVScout website lists KWVT as the affiliate.   Based on what jbpdx said, it sounds like KWVT has since fixed TV Scout  and Western OR Univ. Radio as virtual 17.3, and 27.3 (what an awful numbering system!), but Azteca  is apparently still stuck with a bad virtual 49.5 identifier?  When it's fixed, I expect Azteca will be back on virtual 37.2.  But tuners can hang onto bad mapping. 

post #8655 of 8714 Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXComposer View Post

GOOSE HOLLOW update

The previous post (below) is actually four days old, moved to this, the proper thread, from elsewhere on this site.

To indicate that this problem appears to be seasonal or weather related, at 8:30 AM this Friday morning, Windows Media Center signal tester shows the following:

49.1 has magically improved with 4 green bars and coming in with no video or audio problems.  (I suspect it will disappear this evening, as it usually does.)
2.1 has gotten worse, from 3 orange bars it is now one red bar, indicating that the signal has gotten weaker
2.2 remains at 3 orange bars without providing any audio or video.

I tried re-testing 27.1 and 27.2  and whereas both have previously been at 3 orange bars - providing no image or audio, this AM 27.1 is now at one red bar and 27.2 remains at three orange bars - neither providing enough signal for video or audio.

Since I watch OTA via WMC, Microsoft has not added 27.3 (radio) to my active channel list, so I cannot check the signal quality.

Finally, one other addition: The OTA signal from the digital roof antenna is split to feed three TVs, thus reducing power to each.  None of the three TVs are receiving enough strength to get watchable signals for 2.1, 2.2, 27.1 or 27.2 and boy, do I wish I could get channel 17.

Any ideas on how to improve these signals are greatly appreciated.
For testing purposes, have you tried eliminating the splitter and running straight from the antenna to just one TV, using the shortest amount of cable you can?
If that seems to help then you may benefit from a signal amp.

In the hollow like that there's a good chance you are depending on reflected signals, just climbing up on your roof and giving your antenna a spin may be worth it too.
post #8656 of 8714 Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM

For testing purposes, have you tried eliminating the splitter and running straight from the antenna to just one TV, using the shortest amount of cable you can?
If that seems to help then you may benefit from a signal amp.

In the hollow like that there's a good chance you are depending on reflected signals, just climbing up on your roof and giving your antenna a spin may be worth it too.

Thanks for the reply.  Makes perfect sense.  No, I did not, but will in just a bit.

And I noted that Pearl Hardware (ACE) sells a signal amp for $16.  So if this is part of the problem, I'll get one today.

I am beginning to suspect reflection is part of the problem, as the leaves in the signal path disappeared as the 2.1 and 2.2 signal did.

49.1 remains back and 2.1 and 2.2 made it back briefly mid day Sunday.  But, by 3 PM the KATU signals were gone.

But, how would leaves assist in signal reflection and capture? And why does the mid day have an effect on same?

As for the antenna, I am loathe to play with it.  I spent hours finding the mid way point between the two main west hills towers getting the best, comprehensive signal from both.  Too much pointing in one direction or the other degrades the signals coming from the non-pointed direction.  And, again, it's a 2.1 and 2.2 problem I get every Winter, more severe this year - disappearing late fall and returning in spring.

I'll test direct feed to single receiver and, maybe, a signal amp, and get back here.

Thanks.

post #8657 of 8714 Old 01-12-2014, 12:32 PM

On Thursday night the channels switched back. 37.2 became active again.
post #8658 of 8714 Old 02-07-2014, 03:55 PM

HI,

I am off NW 153 and Cornell Rd. and would appreciate any comments on a good antenna to use. The attachment shows that the major antennas are about five miles east and slightly south. Given my proximity, would a non-directional be best? Specific model recommendations/suggestions would beappreciatedl. I would prefer an indoor as long as I can get good reception. Thanks!

tvfool97006.jpg 13k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tvfool97006.jpg (12.8 KB, 13 views)
post #8659 of 8714 Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am off NW 153 and Cornell Rd. and would appreciate any comments on a good antenna to use.

Almost any indoor antenna is likely to give good service there. Avoid any antenna with an amplifier for your location. With DTV, you get a perfect picture as soon as you have ENOUGH signal. More signal does no good and can even be a bad thing. At your location there may well be enough signal to overload an antenna's amplifier.

I have had good experience with the RCA ANT1050 which is relatively small and flat. It's only downfall is it's black and its silhouette looks like a signal for Batman. The Winegard Rayzar flat antenna also is good. The Rayzar model is transparent except for its the silver runs. The Winegard FL-4000 appears to be the same antenna but in white opaque plastic (and much cheaper)

Either of these two antennas (or virtually all flat antennas) should be mounted so a flat side faces the TV transmitters. They don't have any front to back directivity so either side can face the station. If I weren't snowed in I would offer to bring them for a trial. Lovely idea as I am tired of being inside.

Linley
post #8660 of 8714 Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM

Linley,

Thanks very much for the helpful response!! I'll check out these options.

Very glad the snow is gone! I much prefer to go to it rather than for it to come to me. smile.gif
post #8661 of 8714 Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Can someone check and update us on what KRCW-LP is doing with their channel 5 license these days?

Is it still transmitting analog, has converted to digital, or not even on the air?
post #8662 of 8714 Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM

Filmon.com has been great for getting the networks not carried on Portland TV station subchannels, e.g. Movies! I have been watching Me-TV Bellingham when KATU pre-empts programming. But a few days ago the Me-TV channels on Filmon disappeared with no explanation.
post #8663 of 8714 Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM

I decided to go with an outdoor Winegard HD-FV30 which is working well for channels 8 and above, but I am getting no signal from 2.1 (KATU) and 6.1 (KOIN). They are in the green zone on the TVFool map and are nearby and closer to me than the site of the NBC/PBS tower. Anyone have any ideas?
Am I overlooking something? Thanks!
post #8664 of 8714 Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Nevermind! I reran the auto-scan function on the TV and this solved the problem. Thanks!
post #8665 of 8714 Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For the past week, almost every night KOIN has been going black right at the start of Letterman which my wife watches on DirecTV. (I believe DirecTV gets KOIN via an antenna (and is then sent by fiber down to LA.)

I record Ferguson off the air via a TiVo and those recordings are not done on those nights that my wife reports Letterman going black.

Anyone see anything like this? Any phone number that might actually get to the technical folks?

(Email was unanswered.)
post #8666 of 8714 Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"For the past week, almost every night KOIN has been going black right at the start of Letterman "

I was hoping someone would have complete information for you (and me).

On Feb. 10th of this year KOIN and KATU who share an antenna had a some sort of fire which damaged their antenna and its feed line. The details they provided the FCC to get a permit (called a STA) to transmit at 1/2 their normal power can be seen at: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101626257&formid=911&fac_num=21649

KOIN also has a STA to go to a really low power (955 Watts) to allow repairs on the antenna system. See: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101626257&formid=911&fac_num=21649

The pointers to this information are from the RabbitEars.Info web site: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=30 If you are unfamiliar with this valuable site, the URL I gave you will bring up the list of Portland stations. Click on a station then click on the "Technical Data and Screencaps" item to bring up that station's licensing data. The DT-LIC item is the long term license info. Any DS-STA items are the station asking for temporary permission to do something other than what they have a license for. The RabbitEars site does not show KATU having a really low power STA for the antenna installation.

So, all this is background information and does not actually answer your question. Given that you have observed a pattern of KOIN's signal failing (perhaps falling below threshold due to low amplitude) at a regular time (well after I go to bed) a reasonable conjecture is that they are doing something to either allow repair work to proceed or are cutting power to conserve what's left of the antenna system. You will note that's only conjecture. I don't know anything more than you do, but thought you might like to have the publicly available background information.

Linley
post #8667 of 8714 Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That (repairs) is kind of what I was thinking but one would think they would not schedule the downtime during a show as popular as Letterman.

At any rate, no outages yet this week.
post #8668 of 8714 Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Any idea how the repairs at KOIN have progressed?

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #8669 of 8714 Old 05-22-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Any idea how the repairs at KOIN have progressed?

Haven't had any (significant) problems in the last month.

I seldom monitor this tread but somehow caught this just hours after your post eek.gif
post #8670 of 8714 Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
But, I guess they canned their chief weather guy, Bruce? Haven't seen him in weeks since the new studio ...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page