Portland, OR - HDTV - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8761 of 8772 Old 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KPTV seems to have decided to carry the East Coast Cozi feed. I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 8772 Old 05-31-2015, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post
While I was looking for updates on Cozi and Laff launch dates, I noticed that KPDX is getting a subchannel too -- Escape TV (49.2).
Right now KPDX is carrying two subchannels, RetroTV and KWVT. PSIP makes it hard to know what stations are carrying what channels these days.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #8763 of 8772 Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Right now KPDX is carrying two subchannels, RetroTV and KWVT. PSIP makes it hard to know what stations are carrying what channels these days.
KWVT and Retro TV are carried on KWVT [Real Frequency 49, using virtual channels 17.1, 17.2, 27.1, 37.1], not KPDX [Real Frequency 30, virtual channel 49.1. Escape TV will presumably by virtual 49.2].

KWVT is too unreliable for me to pay attention, but I recall the mess its numbering system made of converter box mapping. It didn't help any that Retro TV virtual 27.1 was already assigned to real frequency 27 (KSLM) when KWVT tried to assign it to real frequency 49.
post #8764 of 8772 Old 05-31-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post
KWVT and Retro TV are carried on KWVT [Real Frequency 49, using virtual channels 17.1, 17.2, 27.1, 37.1], not KPDX [Real Frequency 30, virtual channel 49.1. Escape TV will presumably by virtual 49.2].
Oh, there's a station broadcasting a virtual channel that's the same as another channel's real frequency. No wonder I'm confused!

Did KPDX not move back to 49 after the analog shutdown?

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #8765 of 8772 Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
No, KPDX moved from channel 48 to channel 30, which was KPTV's digital before the transition. KPTV itself moved back to 12.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8766 of 8772 Old 10-14-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Laff and Escape have launched.
post #8767 of 8772 Old 10-21-2015, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

I moved to Beaverton recently. I've got excellent signal on KOIN, KATU, and KGW, yet I sometimes see digital artifacts when watching TV shows. Sometimes, the bottom half of the screen goes green or grey for a fraction of second. Other times, there's a motion artifact (as happened about 9 minutes into The Goldbergs tonight). It doesn't happen all that often - probably once or twice a week on The Late Show with Steven Colbert, for example.

However, I previously lived in another market altogether and **never** saw artifacts. I was using an older HDHR3 there, and was more than 60 miles from the transmitter tower.

Are these kinds of issues typical on the Portland stations, or is there perhaps something wrong with my setup??

I've tried a 12db signal attenuator, on the theory that I might have a multi-path or overdeviation issue. It has dropped my signal strength from 100% to 95%-98% on most stations, but the artifacts don't really seem to have decreased.

Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions?
post #8768 of 8772 Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM

Your problem could be 1) strong multipath interference or 2) interference from another source. The two are difficult to tell apart without instruments. You report problems on KOIN (RF chan. 40), KATU (RF chan. 43) and KGW (RF chan. 8). KOIN and KATU are literally transmitted from the same antenna on Sylvan; KGW from its own antenna 3/4 mile to the north west. This probably means of multipath isn't the problem. However, if you are using an indoor antenna, if moving it (i.e. turning it or physically moving it from place to place) during the interference helps, then multipath might be the problem.

As for interference, it can be very difficult to find. Interference to both a high-VHF signal (ch. 8) and UHF signals (ch. 40 and ch. 43) is unusual. Your experiment with the 12 dB pad probably indicates that receiver overload is not the problem. Here are some experiments you might try. Tune from channel to channel when you are having problems and see if it occurs on all channels? Try another set. If possible to simultaneously watch another set tuned to the same channel and hopefully using the same antenna and see if the problem is in them both. If you are using an indoor antenna try moving it well away from the TV set in case it is the set's own EMI that is causing the problem.

And finally, the one that takes the most time and almost always fails, take note of what's active in your house when the problem occurs and try to identify an interference source. This can lead to really whaco results. Charlie Rhodes received a complaint of failure to receiver a high-VHF station when a LED light was turned on. I subsequently measured one brand of LED light that emitted large amounts of EMI over that TV band.

I am interested in your problem and have lots of time. If you would like to have a consultation at your residence please let me know. My name is Linley Gumm. You can Google my name for a reference. E-mail me at gumm at easystree dot net if interested.
post #8769 of 8772 Old 10-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinleyG View Post
Your problem could be 1) strong multipath interference or 2) interference from another source. The two are difficult to tell apart without instruments. You report problems on KOIN (RF chan. 40), KATU (RF chan. 43) and KGW (RF chan. 8). KOIN and KATU are literally transmitted from the same antenna on Sylvan; KGW from its own antenna 3/4 mile to the north west. This probably means of multipath isn't the problem. However, if you are using an indoor antenna, if moving it (i.e. turning it or physically moving it from place to place) during the interference helps, then multipath might be the problem.

As for interference, it can be very difficult to find. Interference to both a high-VHF signal (ch. 8) and UHF signals (ch. 40 and ch. 43) is unusual. Your experiment with the 12 dB pad probably indicates that receiver overload is not the problem. Here are some experiments you might try. Tune from channel to channel when you are having problems and see if it occurs on all channels? Try another set. If possible to simultaneously watch another set tuned to the same channel and hopefully using the same antenna and see if the problem is in them both. If you are using an indoor antenna try moving it well away from the TV set in case it is the set's own EMI that is causing the problem.

And finally, the one that takes the most time and almost always fails, take note of what's active in your house when the problem occurs and try to identify an interference source. This can lead to really whaco results. Charlie Rhodes received a complaint of failure to receiver a high-VHF station when a LED light was turned on. I subsequently measured one brand of LED light that emitted large amounts of EMI over that TV band.

I am interested in your problem and have lots of time. If you would like to have a consultation at your residence please let me know. My name is Linley Gumm. You can Google my name for a reference. E-mail me at gumm at easystree dot net if interested.

Rereading this, I note that I should have said, "... a FREE (i.e. no charge ever) consultation ..."

Linley
post #8770 of 8772 Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 PM

Hi Linley,

Thanks for the very thorough response. Based upon what you wrote, I'm afraid that my original post was insufficiently specific, so I'm going to add a little bit more detail.

I'm using a Windows Media Center PC to record shows off of Live TV using a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Tuner. It is hooked up to a directional antenna that I purchased from DennyAntennaService.com which is designed specifically to receive UHF and the portion of the VHF band that remains in use for TV after the digital transmission (called the EZ-HD antenna). The antenna is located in my attic and points in the general direction of the transmission towers to the Northeast, which are visible without obstruction from my house. The HDHomeRun tuners consistently report 100% signal and symbol strength. Even with the 12db attenuator, my signal strength is still roughly 95%.

I never, ever watch live TV. Occasionally, when I'm watching a pre-recorded show, I'll encounter an artifact of some kind, i.e. bottom half of screen goes gray or green for a brief moment, or a small part of the screen will do so, or I'll observe some motion artifacts (duplicate images) on a portion of the screen that's moving. Most shows record just fine, without any issues, but once in a while, maybe once every 5 shows or show, I'll see one of the above. I often do record more than one show at a time, and I've gone back and watched the others at the same moment and do not recall seeing an artifact at the same time in the other recording.

This may well just be par for the course with the broadcasters here in Oregon. For example, today, during the CBS Evening News, I saw a bit of green appear on a child's chin (right before she hugged a horse), and then immediately called a friend who lives in the area and records OTA using his Dish Network with the optional TV Tuner module. He checked his recording and observed the **very same artifact**. I also checked a recording made back in California (using a friend's WMC set-up similar to mine) and found no artifact. So, at least in this particular case, it appears to be a problem with the encoding done by the transmitter and not by anything particular about my set-up.

I've only posted here because I never, ever saw this kind of artifacting when I lived in California. However, there I was in the biggest TV Market in the nation (L.A.), and so I suspect that those stations spend a lot of money making sure that their equipment is perfect.

So, at the outset, I'm just wondering if you guys here ever see such artifacts on the broadcasts, and if so, how often??

However, in response to your offer, I'd definitely open to having a fellow ham come by and see what he can see. I'll PM you.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that I've seen a car with your call sign driving around town. Everytime we do, my wife asks me if I know you.

Quote:
Rereading this, I note that I should have said, "... a FREE (i.e. no charge ever) consultation ..."

Linley
post #8771 of 8772 Old 10-24-2015, 12:25 AM

FYI- You left off the t at the end of easystreet dot net. It took me a while to figure that out!

Quote:
My name is Linley Gumm. You can Google my name for a reference. E-mail me at gumm at easystree dot net if interested.
post #8772 of 8772 Old 10-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Ever Tuned to These Stations?

On the FCC's list of stations that eligible to sell their air rights in the upcoming re-pack auction are five low power class-A stations owned by WatchTV. They are KORS (ch. 16), KOXI (ch. 20), KORK (ch. 35) KKEI (ch. 38) and KOXO (ch. 41). Their current license shows them to be transmitting from KGW's site in Sylvan. After careful measurements in Aloha and Vancouver WA over the past few weeks, these stations apparently are silent at the present time. In fact, non of the misc. data I have taken over the past few years shows them ever having been on the air. However, in years past, they had at least a temporary operating license for a site about 10 miles east and north of Vancouver so they might not have been observable from my house in Aloha back then. My question is if anyone has noted any or all of these signals on the air over the past four or five years?

Thanks.
LinleyG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception