Portland, OR - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 8729 Old 10-18-2002, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm pretty much at the crest of a hill. I'm a couple blocks off NE Sandy Blvd at about 60th. I live in a residential neighborhood with nothing taller than a 3 story house for several blocks. I should have pretty good line of sight of the towers. Would an attic antenna work? I've heard from some that even rabbit ears might work. BTW -my TV setup is in the basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 8729 Old 10-20-2002, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I see no one has replied to TMBUTCH's question.

The best I can suggest is to check out your analog TV reception using a portable TV with rabbit ears in the top story. If you can get a decent picture without too much ghosting, then digital should work well but you might need an amplifier to get the signal down to the basement.
post #123 of 8729 Old 10-20-2002, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello to all,

I messed up and mistakenly posted my question earilier as a new topic. Anyway, here goes again.

I live just about on the boundary between Tigard and Portland, in the shadow of hills off Taylors Ferry Road. I have no line of site to the towers. Excessive ghosting makes enjoyable OTA viewing impossible. If it weren't for cable I couldn't get a decent picture from any local station. I have no interest in DBS. I would like to view OTA hi-def digital broadcasts if possible.

I heard a long time ago that dtv is less sensitive to multipath distortion than conventional standard definition analog NTSC. Is this true? Do any of you guys have any recommendations for dealing with reception in a very poor clean signal area? Or do you think I am stuck and will just have to wait for AT&T Broadband to eventually include true hi-def pass through from our local stations?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Dennis

Dennis
post #124 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 09:31 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
tibia, I would think that being so close even though you may be down in a hole somewhat, that you'd have a decent shot of picking up the digitals. You probably couldn't get away with an indoor antenna though.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS: D* finally shut down my free three month preview of the locals over the weekend. It was very nice having them as a backup for when the local digitals were acting up with dropouts, lip sync issues or just off altogether (as KATU was for so long). Now that KATU is back up and Lee seems to have gotten the dropout issue under control at KOIN things have been pretty stable for the last week or so in PDX-DTV land. I'm tempted to just leave them off and see how things go. But Blazer season is quickly aproaching and the SD KGW DTV simulcast is so pixelated for anything with motion it makes basketball a nightmare though. Grrrrr, I wish they were all strong, stable, reliable and artifact free already . One of these days I guess. I'll probably go ahead and sign up for the D* locals....

ron
post #125 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 09:58 AM

Am I correct in assuming that if you subscribe to D* local channels, you only get the standard def feeds and NOT the Hight-Def? Thanks.
post #126 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 10:11 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Yep. They don't even have the bandwidth for all the SD locals they would like to carry let alone the hugely greater amount they would need to carry any HD locals. If it weren't for the blazer games I'd probably just leave them off since the large majority of my watching these days is HD anyway.

ron
post #127 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

tibia:

From your description, it doesn't sound good.

But I suggest you do the following experiment: Go to Radio Shack and buy a cheap UHF only antenna. Connect the antenna to a portable TV and tune to Ch 49. Get as high as you can in your house and stick the antenna out a window on a pole. Adjust the orientation and see if you can get a decent signal. If so, there it hope.

Multipath is death to the current crop of receivers as is lack of signal strength.
post #128 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 02:51 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

I don't know Larry, he may be surprised. I get pretty bad ghosting on my analog signals where I am too but the digitals signals come in very strongly. It's almost a case by case kinda thing I think.

ron
post #129 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry Hutchinson
I see no one has replied to TMBUTCH's question.

Hey, cut me some slack, I'm in Japan and fighting jetlag.

He has a good shot with an attic antenna, I think. I think the 4-bay bowtie, 4221/3021 (http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/u1.htm) would work pretty well. Double-O Electronics out by the airport should have them.

Indoor, rabbit ears won't do much good, as the DTV stations are UHF. Radio Shack used to have a goof indoor UHF antenna, the very retro-looking double bowtie, but they discontinued it.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #130 of 8729 Old 10-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

BarryO
I am in need of an upgrade on my OTA roof antenna. Does Double-O Electronics have installation as part of their service, or do you or anyone know of a good local antenna installer/
Thanks in advance

michael
post #131 of 8729 Old 10-22-2002, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Before I spend any money on a DTV tuner I think I'll try a MyHD card from work in my HTPC and buy a bow tie or yagi antenna. Who knows? I might get lucky.

I have a CRT front projection system and it would be fun to see what real HD looks like on it rather than upscaling dvd to 720P48.

Dennis
post #132 of 8729 Old 10-22-2002, 02:47 PM

OK.....I went to Fry's today and bought a big 'ol Channel Master roof-top UHF antenna. Box says it has a 60 mile range and is "digital compatible". Is this going to do it? It looks just like those standard roof-top antenna's from the 70's. Thanks!
post #133 of 8729 Old 10-22-2002, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by michael goldman
BarryO
I am in need of an upgrade on my OTA roof antenna. Does Double-O Electronics have installation as part of their service, or do you or anyone know of a good local antenna installer/
Thanks in advance

I'm sure they don't. Technically, Double-O is a distributor, and doesn't even do retail. But you may want to give them a call and se if they know of an installer. Some of Double-O's customers may be in that business.

They've told me they've sold alot more OTA antenna gear since the Portland DTV stations went online.

--Barry

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
post #134 of 8729 Old 10-22-2002, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TMBUTCH
OK.....I went to Fry's today and bought a big 'ol Channel Master roof-top UHF antenna. Box says it has a 60 mile range and is "digital compatible". Is this going to do it? It looks just like those standard roof-top antenna's from the 70's. Thanks!

What's the model number?

If it's a big one, the only gotcha is that it'll be very directional, and you may have to be careful in pointing it. But give it a try.

post #135 of 8729 Old 10-22-2002, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I tried a number of antennas in search of the "perfect one" and what I found that works best for me is 2 antennas. I use a CM 1165(VHF/UHF) with a CM 4221(UHF) perched on the top of a rotating mast. I run two antenna leads and switch between the antennas using a RF switcher.

I use the CM 4221 4-bay bow for UPN, FOX, NBC and PBS. The signals are very strong. The ABC and CBS signals are too weak and drop out with this antenna.

I use the CM 1165 for ABC, CBS, and WB32(I've got to watch Smallville). ABC and CBS have very strong signals with this antenna.

I'm not saying this will work for everybody. It's just what works for me.

Cris

post #136 of 8729 Old 10-22-2002, 10:02 PM

Its a Channel Master 3020. It is a typical looking big, gaudy, multi-pronged rooftop model....much to the chagrine of my wife. It better work well or I'm screwed.
post #137 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3020 is a combination VHF/UHF antenna. That's why it's so big: the log-periodic VHF antenna needs big elements. The UHF Yagi antenna is the smaller part in the front.

You really don't need the VHF part, since all the PDX DTV stations are UHF. That's why I like the 3021 for close-in installations. It's not very big, and since the reflector can be mounted right up against a surface, it can often be mounted against a chimney or wall very unobstrusively.

post #138 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 08:14 AM

Someone here posted that KGW - particularly during blazer games, was very pixelated and almost unwatchable. Would it be worth it to stay with the 3020 so I can pick up the analog signal for KGW as well as the digital. I was planning on cancelling my subscription to the D* locals due to getting the OTA channels. Does anyone know if I can even cycle the OTA analog locals through the D* 6000?
post #139 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can watch the local analog channels on the 6000. KGW has been mirroring the SD feed on the HD feed, so basketball is much better on the HD channel. Plus, last year they tried hooking up with ASCN to broadcast a few games in HD but they had some equipment problems. Maybe this year? We'll see.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #140 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 09:11 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

TM, it was me that mentioned the blazer pixelation. The simulcast HD feed (primetime hours generally) on KGW is definitely cleaner but it is 14:9 zoom/cropped so you loose a bit of the picture. The SD feed actually looks quite good... when the players are standing at the free throw line and not moving . The locals still have their troubles, which brings me to a question: has anybody else been having audio strangeness from KGW the last few days? I'm getting a very loud right main channel output. It's so loud that sitting right in front of the TV it overshadows the center channel. If I turn that speaker down all the way it balances out pretty well (until I change the station...). This is while using PLII.

****ON ANOTHER NOTE*****

I'm thinking of picking up one of the Samsung DLP sets and am wondering if anybody around the PDX area here would be interested in a 2 year old 36" Sony XBR in pristine condition for a decent price? It's been a great TV and I'd just keep it but I really have no room for a 2nd large set at my house at the moment. If anybody is interested let me know. Thanks.

ron
post #141 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 12:07 PM

Liked: 11
ISF TECHNICIANS IN PORTLAND AREA

I *may* be getting a Hitachi RPTV this fall, and from what I've been
reading here it may need an immediate color temperature and red push calibration.
Can anyone here recommend a local ISF tech?
There's very little information at http://www.imagingscience.com/
How much can I expect to pay?

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #142 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

It is generally recommended that you wait 6 months or more before an ISF.

Also, you could buy from Uptown Audio/Video where they throw in an ISF for free (at least that was the case with my Elite.)

Yes, I could have just walked into your office and told you this but perhaps it will be
useful info for others out there.
post #143 of 8729 Old 10-23-2002, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You should immediately do at least an AVIA setup for contrast, brightness and color as a minimum then wait till you have 100 hrs on the bulbs to do your ISF.

post #144 of 8729 Old 10-24-2002, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Who saw the test last night on KATU? It was pretty cool, I flipped onto KATU at around 9:06 last night and they were running a test loop.

They were showing a 101 Dalmations clip, Good Morning America banner, an Academy Award statue and various other short clips that were the best HD I have seen to date on ABC.

They also displayed a color bar and did a DD 5.1 surround test identifying each speaker as they went, it was pretty cool.

post #145 of 8729 Old 10-24-2002, 09:49 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Didn't see it last night but I have run across the test deal before where it has the monotone voice saying, "left speaker....... right speaker..... center etc.

ron
post #146 of 8729 Old 10-24-2002, 08:18 PM

Yeah, the KATU test loop got me in trouble. Wife flipped on KATU for "The Bachelor" and got the test loop. Oh, well, least I got to do some sound level setting....he he he
post #147 of 8729 Old 10-24-2002, 11:00 PM

It seems they have the complete dropout problem fixed but now I'm noticing another problem that never occurred before. I'm getting quite of bit of artifacts or pixelated blocks during the telecast ( tonite all during Survivor and CSI ). It seems to happen with the slightest bit of motion on the screen and occurrs every 20-30 seconds or so. I never lose the picture like before but its very anoying. I also noticed it somewhat on the HD broadcast of NYPD Blue on Tues. night. over on 2-1. Anyone else ?
post #148 of 8729 Old 10-25-2002, 09:27 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Dave,

I watched Survivor and CSI last night also and only noticed one short drop out (maybe a second). But it's interesting you mention the pixelation. I was sitting there thinking, "Hmmm, the pixelation seems worse than usual. I wonder if some how it could be related to whatever changes Lee made to reduce the drop out problem...". There's always some but it definitely seemed a few degrees worse than what it usually is. BTW, I was watching survivor on the upconverted 6-1 feed.

ron
post #149 of 8729 Old 10-25-2002, 03:21 PM

Ron,

yeah, I was watching the 6-1 feed also on Survivor but didn't jump over to 6-2 to compare. It's funny, Lee used to blame some of this on the "leaves on the trees "during the summer time with interfering with the digital signal reception. But for me, the picture during the summer was fine except for those complete drop outs. Now that the leaves are falling, I get all this pixelation. I'd almost rather go back to the dropouts.
post #150 of 8729 Old 10-27-2002, 03:58 PM

So....anyone know where you can get a program listing of HD material? I haven't been able to find a guide of what the locals are putting out so I jut search around. Already getting a bit tired of watching the Starlight Parade on 8-02 (although it looks awesome!) I'd really like to know when the next broadcast of a college or pro football game is. Oh, also, a quick question. Is all HD material widescreen? The elephant documentary airing on discovery appears to be 4:3. Also, how do you tell what is better, 720P or 1080i? Should I just leave the Dish 6000 in 1080i? Thanks!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page