Portland, OR - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8737 Old 11-06-2002, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I did what I should have done in the first place. I unplugged the unit for about 30 seconds and plugged it back in. I fired it back up and viola, everything is back to normal. I sometimes forget about the hard reboot these machines sometimes need. You'd think I'd have that down by now being a 501 owner as well.

Anyway I'm glad that worked. However I'm still going to look into that $1.99 per month warranty. I have 4 receivers, with the other two being 4000's. Might not be too bad of an investment.

Thanks for the heads up Marissadad.

Dave, maybe a hard reset might help your system? Couldn't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8737 Old 11-09-2002, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

How many 6000 owners are having a problem locking in 61.5? I put up a 24" dish last Spring and it made a world of difference but now that the rains have returned, I can't even watch HBOHD or the demo channel with even a drizzle, it won't register a signal at all.

My buddy at work has a satellite strength meter, I guess it's time to break it out and tweak the dish.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #183 of 8737 Old 11-10-2002, 12:09 AM

Liked: 11
I'm in Aloha and have a pretty good signal on 61.5 and 148 both with 18" dishes. Tweaking will probably help you situation.

Steve
post #184 of 8737 Old 11-10-2002, 11:30 PM

No problems at all with Dish HBO. I am still having some drop-outs with KGW though. I live near Rose City Golf Course in NE PDX - have a roof top channel-master. All other OTA come in at 85%+.

BTW....anyone catch Beauty and the Beast tonight on ABC? PQ was stunning....good DD sound as well. Very nice.
post #185 of 8737 Old 11-12-2002, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I tweaked my dish, just took a bump to do it, the 24" is very sensitive to alignment. This morning with a steady rain I had a strength of 67 which is what I was getting on a sunny day. I'm back in business.

On the FOX side, is anyone else getting a band of noise across the very top edge of the picture? I can adjust my 6000 up a bit so it's almost gone, but if I record something NTSC the full band is there.

post #186 of 8737 Old 11-12-2002, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Folks,

I've been silent for a while so I could get some unprompted reaction on the steps taken to end the drop-outs. Obviously the steps taken worked. (You Dish locals subscribers - have the drop-outs stopped there too?) I've preformed a couple of other hidden 'experiments' too that don't seem to have had any impact. The drop-outs were caused by random bursts of PSIP program guide data. This seems to be resolved now.

Last week a Descriptive Video audio channel for the visually impaired was added. (This was an FCC requirement until a court last Friday said the FCC had no authority to require it, but it will stay pending further FCC or judical review.) This will impact older Panasonic tuners (DST-50/51) that will only get dual-mono audio with the descriptive audio or Spanish on 'Bold and Beautiful'. This is a problem in the tuner that was documented long ago. There is supposed to be a fix from Panasonic, but I don't have any details.

The recent broad reception problems are seasonal. As the leaves on the trees dry out, and it has been a dry Autumn up until now, their affect on reception changes. Now that the rains have come and they are very wet (reflections change again) until they finally fall off (when reflections disappear until Spring). Hang in there, once the leaves are gone things should settle down, but they could be different and require some antenna adjustments.

PAX (KPXG 22) will be DTV on channel 4 not 3. KWBP-LP analog repeater of WB32 will probably move from channel 4 to channel 5.

I think that brings things current.
post #187 of 8737 Old 11-13-2002, 09:40 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thanks for the update Lee. Yes, the dropouts do seem to be history with your changes. However, for what ever reason I now seem to be experiencing a bit of an increase in motion artifacting the last few weeks. Have you made any changes in the allocation of bandwidth or something? It's not a huge difference but several others have mentioned it too. I assume you guys have your reasons but it sure would be nice if you would do away with the traffic cam and use the bandwidth to increase the PQ on 6-1. I have a feeling if you took a vote here it would be 100% in favor. Do you think anybody uses it? Thanks again.

ron
post #188 of 8737 Old 11-13-2002, 10:27 AM

D-43 (KATU) problem.

I am hoping Lee Wood can help.
I have 2 HDTV recievers.

One is a PANASONIC STB, The other is the MyHD (HDTV recorder card for PC).

On the Panasonic STB the video signal on D43 has a kind of micro-studder.

Using the MyHD card, I can record D43 fine but when just using it as a tuner the signal will be fine for around 5 minutes and then go through a series of breakups.

Cliff @ www.digitalconnection.com had a local viewer having the same problems as me, record the D43 signal for analysis.
Cliff seems to believe that the problem is in the ATSC encoder:

"the TS is sending data packets faster than the PCR time stamp is indicating".

I have forwarded this info. to Alan Batdorf (ABatdorf@katu.com).

Thanks
post #189 of 8737 Old 11-13-2002, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Lee, the Dish blips were still there as of Monday night's CSI:Miami. I'll let you know after Thursday Night's Survivor, CSI & Without a Trace if they are still there.

post #190 of 8737 Old 11-14-2002, 10:14 PM

OK...what did I miss here? I think - until tonight - I was getting the KOIN channels on 40-0 and 40-1. Now they are on 6-1 to 3. No problem...just wondering what accounts for the change.
post #191 of 8737 Old 11-15-2002, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Lee, I watched Survivor delayed on my Dish 501 and the blank outs are still occurring. I watched CSI Live on my 6000 OTA and there was several blank outs as well, only they are not like they used to be. They used to cause my 6000 to retune the channel, displaying the signal strength banner, but last night there was just a blank picture and no tuning indicator.

post #192 of 8737 Old 11-15-2002, 09:44 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

I watched Survivor and CSI and only noticed one drop out with my setup (close in, mits box). It was a total blank just like the previous ones (about 3 sec.).

TM, the real ATSC channels are 40-1, 2 and 3. Your set top box duplicates a set of the digital channels and remaps them to the corresponding NTSC channel numbers. At least in the Hughes boxes they both show up in the guide. I hide the higher numbers and just display the "traditional" ones since my brain has been programmed to them for 40+ years...

ron
post #193 of 8737 Old 11-15-2002, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched Survivor and CSI and only noticed one drop out with my setup (close in, mits box). It was a total blank just like the previous ones (about 3 sec.).

Ditto.
post #194 of 8737 Old 11-15-2002, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was the blip within five seconds of the hour straight up? The PSIP computer system seems to cause and 'issue' when the program tables roll-over on the hour.
post #195 of 8737 Old 11-15-2002, 03:47 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

No Lee, those I've always just assumed were somehow related to the switching between programming/ads or the widescreen resetting the aspect ratio or something (seems like there are usually a couple little bobbles that happen right as the programming is switching back on coming out of commercials). This was a distinct dropout right in the middle of some dialog.

ron
post #196 of 8737 Old 11-16-2002, 02:18 PM

Hello:

I am thinking about buying a OTA HDTV receiver (samsung T151) for my Mits WS48311. I live in Hillsboro (near Orenco) and I was wondering if I could get by without having to put an antenna in the attic but get "rabbit ears" antenna instead next to the TV. Would I be able to receive decent signals from Portland TV stations like KOIN AND KATU? If the answer is yes, what antenna would you recommand?
Thanks.
post #197 of 8737 Old 11-16-2002, 03:15 PM

I am in Hillsboro and I amk using a $15 antenna from Jensen(TV630).

I have tried 4-5 different antenna's. This one worked the best for me.

Fred Meyer's has it
post #198 of 8737 Old 11-17-2002, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Doubichou
Hello:

I am thinking about buying a OTA HDTV receiver (samsung T151) for my Mits WS48311. I live in Hillsboro (near Orenco) and I was wondering if I could get by without having to put an antenna in the attic but get "rabbit ears" antenna instead next to the TV. Would I be able to receive decent signals from Portland TV stations like KOIN AND KATU? If the answer is yes, what antenna would you recommand?
Thanks.

Orenco's a good location; you can see the West Hills towers from just about anywhere. There's alot of DTV stations in Portland; the HDTV is wonderful and even the SD streams are far higher quality than satellite or cable.

An indoor antenna is worth a shot for your location. "rabbit ears" are a VHF antenna, and the PDX DTV stations are currently all UHF. People have had very good results with the Radio Shack double bow-tie, but it's now discontinued. 'might as well try the antenna from Freddie's that HB111 recommends.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #199 of 8737 Old 11-17-2002, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TMBUTCH
OK...what did I miss here? I think - until tonight - I was getting the KOIN channels on 40-0 and 40-1. Now they are on 6-1 to 3. No problem...just wondering what accounts for the change.

The 6000 does this when it gets confused by the PSIP stream. It was happening alot when KOIN was having the dropouts.

Go back to the "ADD DTV" menu and but Ch. 40 back in. It'll pick it up as 6-1 to 6-3.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
post #200 of 8737 Old 11-17-2002, 08:56 PM

HB111:

Whay a coincidence. I actually have a TV 630 new in a box that I had bought for another purpose. How do you like your panasonic HDTV receiver? Do you use some kind of amplifier for the antenna in order to receive good signal from DTV stations?
Thanks
post #201 of 8737 Old 11-17-2002, 09:48 PM
bdb

Quote:

Originally posted by Doubichou
I live in Hillsboro (near Orenco) and I was wondering if I could get by without having to put an antenna in the attic but get "rabbit ears" antenna instead next to the TV.

Its certainly worth a shot. I'm a little closer, but not a whole heck of a lot. I'm a little closer, but not too much. I get great reception using a Zenith Silver Sensor from Circuit City. I was going to use an outdoor antenna in the attic, too - I set it up indoors temporarily just to see if indoor would work. The Silver Sensor actually gets better reception than the much bigger outdoor antenna did!

As someone mentioned, you need a good UHF antenna; rabbit ears won't work.

BB
post #202 of 8737 Old 11-18-2002, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BarryO
... People have had very good results with the Radio Shack double bow-tie, but it's now discontinued. 'might as well try the antenna from Freddie's that HB111 recommends.

Channel Master makes a double bow-tie indoor antenna as a Model 4149
'Allegro UHF Antenna'. You might check out CM dealers Chelsea Audio in Beaverton or Vern Wenger in SW Portland.

I was not aware that there was a 'Zenith' Silver Sensor. If this is a relabeled 'Antiference' unit from the UK that is great news for viewers who are close in, but are having problems with multipath. It is highly directional and a great solution for many indoor applications.
post #203 of 8737 Old 11-18-2002, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Zenith is OEM'ing the Silver Sensor from Antiference.

My thinking was that it's so directional one needs care in alignment, so if he is in a good area he may want to try a less-directional antenna first.

post #204 of 8737 Old 11-18-2002, 02:40 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Hey you guys, I get good ATSC reception so have never paid much attention to it but now you've got me curious. How does multipath manifest itself on a digital transmission anyway?

ron
post #205 of 8737 Old 11-19-2002, 12:05 AM

I saw the note from Lee that stated PAX would be on Ch 3-1 and that WB would be on 5-1, my question is whats the ETA to get these two stations up and running? Just Curious, the more HD the better!
post #206 of 8737 Old 11-19-2002, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I see other communities are starting to get hi-def on AT&T Broadband. Has anyone heard anything about this for the Portland area?

Thanks,

Dennis
post #207 of 8737 Old 11-20-2002, 08:57 PM

WOW! Anyone watching the OPB program on Matisse and Picasso? PQ is as good as anything I've seen yet. Not just the close-ups of the paintings, but the head shots during 'live' interviews. As Paulie Walnuts put it in last week's Sapranos, "Da picture's so clear, his nose hairs look like BX Cables!"
post #208 of 8737 Old 11-22-2002, 01:31 PM

I've been having a problem with KOIN digital reception and would like to know if anyone else is seeing this problem.

When watching KOIN on channel 40.1 I will occasionally lose the signal and then if I tune to 6.1 it returns. Also the reverse happens, watching 6.1, lose the signal; tune to 40.1 and get the signal back.

I using a Sony SAT-200HD with a roof top antenna and have line of sight to the towers, a distance of less than 20 miles. The signal always looks good with no pixelization or dropouts. The Sony's signal strength meter is in the 90% range on either 6.1 or 40.1. I do not have this problem on any other station.

This appears to be some type of PSIP issue. Any Ideas?

Thanks
post #209 of 8737 Old 11-22-2002, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Pat, I don't know (or care) about PAX, but WB just got there building permit about a month ago, I suppose another year or so?

post #210 of 8737 Old 11-23-2002, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the tip!! I had been having alot of digital artifacts on all channels. It just happened to coincide with the dropout fix on 6-1. Well, the first time I unplugged my Samsung T150, nothing changed and I thought it was time to reposition my antenna. Well. a week later I tried it again and it did the trick - great picture now. I don't really understand why this type of "tweak" should work (or why the problem happens in the first place) but hey, who am I to argue? Thanks again Dean.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page