AVS Forum banner

Antenna + Internet +skype in one box

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BiggAW 
#1 ·
Hi guys and Gals,

I want a simple one keyboard/remote interface that has the properties of a samsung smart TV
internet/skype/and netflix + following properties.

1) Wall mounted HDTV with no visible box or a very very small one
2) TV signal coming in from antenna on roof
3) internet browser
4) DVR
5) if a call comes in on skype it should pop up on the TV

THe issue is my wife can't handle the "multiple sources"

So I think i need a very small PC with a antena converter... but will it handle all these issues?

#2 ·
Many of the Samsung Smart TVs have an internet browser built in, as well as the Netflix app. And there is a Samsung Smart TV keyboard sold at Best Buy for $99 that can be used as a remote to control the TV functions, as well as serve as a computer keyboard to access the internet. It sometimes goes on sale.

#3 ·
Might check over in Home Theater Computers. I don't THINK anyone makes an OTA+Streaming+Browser box, though going with tylerSC's idea to use a Smart TV with either the CM or TiVo OTA DVR boxes is a good idea.

Pretty easy to add OTA tuners to a stock computer, though I highly recommend building your own. Never run Skype on mine, so I don't know if it'll interrupt a full-screen movie with an incoming call or not.

You can also build one in a low-profile case.

Mine has...
2 OTA tuners
2 QAM tuners
1 Hauppauge capture box for DirecTV tuner
12 TB storage
Blu-Ray drive with ripping software
Wired gigabit ethernet
Optical audio
IR (for remote control)
Wireless mouse/keyboard
Windows 7 32-bit. I use Windows Media Center for recording/watching live and VLC Player for all other video.

It's also networked with other computers in the house which have a varying array of OTA and CableCard recording devices. Everything's playable on any computer and the Samsung CableCARD tuner/streamer boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.