OTA TV GUIDE new tv's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OTA TV GUIDE new tv's

I have a friend and we got her 2007 Polaroid back working and she also bought a new LG HDTV !
Her OLD Polaroid has a great TV Guide which she can see/and a descript of what is on all of her OTA TV channels for I believe 24hrs.
But her new LG does NOT HAVE ANY TYPE OF GUIDE TO WHAT IS ON THE AIR PREVIEW !

Is this an example of the OLD STORY we digress rather than progress ? She tried call several different MFGRs and sounds like they say dahh need a cable box !!! NO that is not what should be - THE POLARIOD DOES IT FINE WHEN YOU HIT GUIDE ON THE REMOTE ! IT IS A FEATURE THAT SHOULD BE SIMPLE TO HAVE --- BUT ANYONE KNOW if its been cutout of new HDTVs ???
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-29-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
It's slowly been disappearing since '07, probably since most people have cable where the guide never worked. I believe Vizio was the last of the major brands to have a guide and even Vizio dropped it a couple years back
You will NOT find a major brand with a guide anymore, possibly a lesser known off brand but I think even those have dropped the PSIP guide
Don't know what to tell you, it's not really the price as you can purchase a $40 iView DVR that has a nice PSIP guide but basically TVs have dropped that feature(along with PIP, try and find that feature now days!) on and don't get me started on inputs, basically all the new TVs have are HDMI, maybe a component/shared composite but thats it! Apparently no one cares abouit analog inputs and a nice free guide........... glad I have mostly older TVs with all those features
post #3 of 9 Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Samsung TVs still provide a Channel Guide and Program Information, as well as a Channel List. Just press Guide, Info, or Channel buttons on the remote. Even the entry level 720p F4500 plasmas have this nice feature, which is very good for OTA antenna reception. Certain LG models also have these features, but with LG it is usually second tier 1080p models or Smart TVs that have the guide info included.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

My 1080p Samsung LCD and others I've seen lack any type of guide button or info as does my 1080p LG and my friends newer LG........not saying yours doesn't but it's not what I've seen
Just to be clear, your talking about the PSIP guide that stations are supposed to provide a minimum of 12hrs(but many times do not)? All the newer TV's I've seen lack any guide button on the remote, which was a good sign it had a PSIP guide.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you're talking about TVGOS, that was discontinued last year.
Here's an article about that.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...guide/2512041/
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to thank everyone for the responses.
I'm and OOOOOLD Electronics Instructor - Now if we talk about old B&W tube sets I probably can answer but I have not kept up so well - and what you all have said is kind of what I thought has happened . When I started teaching it was tubes - than transistors - than some IC technology - and woow ..
Its still fun and thanks ....... john
post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
My 1080p Samsung LCD and others I've seen lack any type of guide button or info as does my 1080p LG and my friends newer LG........not saying yours doesn't but it's not what I've seen
Just to be clear, your talking about the PSIP guide that stations are supposed to provide a minimum of 12hrs(but many times do not)? All the newer TV's I've seen lack any guide button on the remote, which was a good sign it had a PSIP guide.
My Samsung LN52A650 television (released 2008, I believe) has a CHLIST button that brought up a guide. It wasn't terribly useful as no channel would be populated unless you actually tuned to it first.
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
If you're talking about TVGOS, that was discontinued last year.
Here's an article about that.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...guide/2512041/
Yes I'm very familiar with TVGOS, it's what my '07 Sony LCD used and while it lasted it was quite nice, now that Sony has no guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
My Samsung LN52A650 television (released 2008, I believe) has a CHLIST button that brought up a guide. It wasn't terribly useful as no channel would be populated unless you actually tuned to it first.
My '11?? Samsung also has a CHLIST button but it only brings up a list of favorite channels which you can scroll down and hit enter to have the TV go to that channel. Back in '08 probably more TVs had the PSIP guide the OP is talking about, much later and that feature was harder and harder to find. As you said one of the big draw backs of PSIP guide is you had to be tuned to the channel to see it's guide, not only tuned but tuned for a short while as the TV downloaded the guide info on the fly. Not perfect but better than nothing for us OTA people without any other guide source.
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes I'm very familiar with TVGOS, it's what my '07 Sony LCD used and while it lasted it was quite nice, now that Sony has no guide

My 2011 55" Sony LCD TV has the Rovi Guide, and the TVGOS function ended the same time as everyone else.

Thankfully my TV is an internet TV. I found out that the ROVI Guide can also be updated via the internet in this specific 2011 Sony TV, so my ROVI Guide still funtions.

No off air program guide on that TV nor in my 2014 32" Sony. Just a current program content display.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page