US bought 4k Ultra TV in India? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question US bought 4k Ultra TV in India?

Hi Guys,
I have bought Samsung 4k Ultra curved UN55HU7250FXZA. I am being moved to India for a year for my job. I wanted to know if I can use this TV in India with a direct boradcast satellite provider?. The specs in the TV says ATSC and I know India uses DVB-T but I have read stories on google both about TVs from US working in India and otherwise which has got me confused. I got it at Best Buy and the guy said it would not be a problem and using a voltage converter and a HDMI cable to connet my set top box I should be fine. I am not so much concerned about the voltage converter as much as the tuner in the TV(ATSC vs DVB-T). Any kind of help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

V.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
It's not so much the tuner but the Samsungs ability to display 50hz programming. Without that ability, your Samsung will be all but worthless, with only the ability to play NTSC material you've brought from home(DVDs, BDs, VHS tapes, etc.).
I can't say for sure how your Samsung will react to 50hz material, if the manual says 50hz you should be fine(as long as you use a STB and not the tuner for it's source, the tuner won't work with DVB-T for sure) but even if it doesn't say 50hz, there is a possibility it may work. If it's like my Samsung(smaller 1080p LCD) it won't work with 50hz, and will only display unsupported format(or something to that effect). If it's like my LG, Insignia or Vizio it will work no problem with 50hz(even though none of those TVs say they support 50hz).
Your best bet is to find a source of 50hz material here and try playing it on your TV, if it works great, if not I wouldn't bother bringing it with. Power supply is another consideration, it probably won't say 100-250vac, 50/60hz for input power, but it may be. Like the whole 50/60hz thing, our TVs rarely say they are multi voltage, they generally just say 120v 60hz. The problem is no one wants to plug in their 120v 60hz TV into a 240v 50hz source to see if it actually works, the other way around makes more sense but if it's truly 120v you DON'T want to be plugging it into 240v, or your sure to see smoke or a blown fuse. The whole power supply thing is easier to work around than the TVs ability to display 50hz, for power supply you can just use a step down transformer or such. You'll still have a power supply frequency mismatch, your TV probably says 60hz whereas India is sure to be 50hz, but generally with modern power supplies, that doesn't seem to be a issue.

Your best bet is to find someone else who has tried everything I've suggested, but the chance of that is very slim and if you call Samsung, I'd be 99% sure all they'd say is, it's not going to work......
Good luck and keep us posted to as what you find out

Oh and your more likely to get responses to your question in the following AVS forum, you could have a moderator move this thread if you wish.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

Last edited by jjeff; 11-12-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Question

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. Now I get it the biggest hindrance is the frequency and not ATSC or DVB-T.So all I should look for is a TV that can play 50hz as well as 60hz or the power rating should say 50/60 hz?.
Voltage is not a big issue and as yu said I can use a step-down transformer. I read on LG website that power supply for LG TVs 110-250V.
I bought my TV 2 weeks back and I can still return it to best buy for another 30 days. If yu think a LG would work fine is it worth getting it replaced with a LG? Only sad part is LG 4ks are not curved TVs. Since I would be back here in a year I don't want to buy something in India locally and leave it behind while returning to US and buy something here again.
And when yu said I should get a source of 50hz material, can yu please elaborate on what it could be just an example? May be a DVD player from India or like a DVD from India?
And yu are right I spoke to Samsung and they said it wont work without a voltage and signal converter but Best buy had a different story about the signal converter saying with these new age HD TVs if yu use HDMI cable the signal converter doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishs View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. Now I get it the biggest hindrance is the frequency and not ATSC or DVB-T.So all I should look for is a TV that can play 50hz as well as 60hz or the power rating should say 50/60 hz?.
Voltage is not a big issue and as yu said I can use a step-down transformer. I read on LG website that power supply for LG TVs 110-250V.
I bought my TV 2 weeks back and I can still return it to best buy for another 30 days. If yu think a LG would work fine is it worth getting it replaced with a LG? Only sad part is LG 4ks are not curved TVs. Since I would be back here in a year I don't want to buy something in India locally and leave it behind while returning to US and buy something here again.
And when yu said I should get a source of 50hz material, can yu please elaborate on what it could be just an example? May be a DVD player from India or like a DVD from India?
And yu are right I spoke to Samsung and they said it wont work without a voltage and signal converter but Best buy had a different story about the signal converter saying with these new age HD TVs if yu use HDMI cable the signal converter doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.
By the way here is the supported video formats from the manual in the attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Supported video formats.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	363921  
post #5 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 720x576 50hz line is a good sign, it's what you'd need for SD PAL(50hz) to display. It also shows 1080/50hz which is PAL(50hz) HD. Overall it looks like your thumbnail says the TV supports 50hz signal(what a STB or tuner would output in India). Thats good news for travelers like yourself, if 4k TVs are going to all support the resolutions in your thumbnail people should be able to use those TVs worldwide(except of course for the tuner). It was always my hope with regular HD that mfgs. would support both 50 and 60hz but sadly the major mfgs. like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and others didn't Maybe with UHD they got it right
Don't confuse the 50hz line frequency(frequency of the AC power you plug into) with the 50hz video frequency, while they are both 50hz in India(and 60hz in N. America) they are different issues.
It sounds like for sure with the LG you'd be OK with their AC power and assuming the LG also displays 50hz(called Vertical Frequency in your chart) the LG would be perfect. Does the Samsung(I assume where your chart came from??) say anything about it's input power?
Oh and Best Buy is incorrect about using HDMI, displaying 50hz material is all about the display and whether it will display 50hz material, if it doesn't you won't get anything feeding it a 50hz source.
Lastly for testing purposes I was thinking maybe if you had a DVD player that output PAL(50hz) and a PAL disc to play you could use it for testing, of course if you didn't have something like that it would be impossible to test your TV before going to India. I have a multi system VCR as well as DVD player I use for testing PAL compatibility, probably not everyone does though.
Most all Pioneer DVD players support PAL, and a few other brands, brands like Sony and Panasonic do NOT support PAL(of course except when sold in PAL countries).

Last edited by jjeff; 11-12-2014 at 05:19 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LG 4k tv (100V ~ 240V, 50/60 Hz)

Thanks, Vish, for starting this thread. I don't wish to hijack it, but it seems like I have an almost identical issue and was hoping that Jeff can help me as well. I hope you don't mind my tagging on? Also, if you've already made the move to India, do you mind letting us know how things panned out with your TV?

Jeff, the 4k TV I plan on using in India is the LG 65UB9200. The good news is that it supports 100V ~ 240V as well as a line frequency of both 50 and 60 Hz. The bad news is I have no idea what video (or vertical) frequency it supports. Also, while I'm pretty sure this is not relevant, since we are discussing frequencies, I believe the TV's native refresh rate is 120 Hz with the option to activate LG "TruMotion," which increases the refresh rate to 240Hz.

The owner's manual only lists the line frequency and the refresh rate, not the video frequency. Would it be safe to assume that compatibility with 50Hz line frequency automatically equates to compatibility with 50Hz video frequency?

Finally, assuming I understood you right, it's a relief knowing that the DVB-ATSC mismatch is irrelevant if one uses a HD STB. FWIW, I plan to use the TV as part of a home theater system, so the receiver will be receiving the signal from the STB and outputting it to the TV (all HDMI cables).

Look forward to hearing from you... thanks!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

50hz line frequency support is no guarantee it will support 50hz video frequency, but it's a good sign. Also not sure if I mentioned it earlier but my LG LCD HDTV which is just a standard off the shelf LG supports 50hz video(not sure if it supports 50hz line frequency and it's kind of hard to get at now) but if I had to venture a guess I'd say your LG may just support 50hz video.
A simple way to check if your TVs 50hz compatible is if you have a video or still camera that outputs PAL. I just checked and my Nikon 9100 point and shoot camera outputs either NTSC(60hz) or PAL(50hz) with a menu setting but only out it's composite output, for what ever reason when playing via it's HDMI output it's always NTSC now a possible reason might be that the TV I did the testing on was a NTSC only Sony but the camera did output a 50hz picture from it's composite(it was black and white and not perfect looking again because the TV didn't support PAL).
post #8 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks Jeff, for the prompt response. I'll try and see if either of my digicams (dSLR or point & shoot) shoot video in PAL.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 PM

Also, a little more research leads me to believe that I could use a PAL to NTSC converter as a fail-safe option. My understanding is that such converters can receive 50Hz PAL signals and output them as 60Hz NTSC in 1080p - that should work since the receiver and/or TV will then upscale the 60Hz NTSC 1080p signal to 4K. Am I missing something here? Is distortion / degradation of the signal a problem with converters?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Something like the following product listed on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Orei-XD-1090-P.../dp/B00A7B0YZI

The manufacturer's website can be found here: http://orei.com/index.php/bluray-vid...onverters.html
post #11 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Thanks Jeff, for the prompt response. I'll try and see if either of my digicams (dSLR or point & shoot) shoot video in PAL.
Actually it should convert any picture or even a NTSC stored video to PAL if set to PAL output, at least thats how my Nikon works(IOW I didn't have to shoot anything different to do my test, I just used a stored video I had done before). You should find the output setting in one of the setup screens. I'm sure if you have a dSLR it will have such a output setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page