Advice on proper antenna to chose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on proper antenna to chose

Hi, I have decided to get rid of cable and am in the process if deciding what antenna to purchase. I'd really like your comments on what antenna would be the best for my situration. My location is Southern NH, about 40 miles from Boston and the station transmitting towers. I attached a report of the stations available and they all come from the same area so a directional antenna seems the first choice. The photo shows a view of the direction the signals will be coming from. The large tree in the foreground is coming down but probably not until Spring. I ran the report for an antenna 30' above the ground and for 6' above ground and they pretty much came out the same for station aailability. But, I know they do not take into account the surrounding trees. So, I decided on an outdoor antenna because of the trees. The cable run would be about 60' from Antenna to the TV.
I was looking at the RCA ANT751 but that seem sto be right on the edge of the distance I need. Because of the trees I am thinking I should look for an antenna that has a reception range greater than 40 miles. Do you think that is necessary?
Any suggeestions on some antennas to look at? Aesthetics is not really a problem but I'd prefer not to put something up that looks like I am part of the SETI program.

Thanks for any advice.
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Direction.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	367937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Station Map.png
Views:	39
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	367945  
GPag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
One more bit of information, the stations I want to receive are all in the green section of the map and all along those three SE lines.
George
GPag is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ProjectSHO89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'd skip the RCA. Try the DB8 instead aimed at Newton. All your Boston stations are in one direction and all are UHF. WMUR should come in just fine off the back of the DB8 should you want it. Do NOT use any amplifiers.

http://www.amazon.com/Terrestrial-Di...1&keywords=db8

If the trees turn out to be a problem get one of these:

ProjectSHO89 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPag View Post
Hi, I have decided to get rid of cable and am in the process if deciding what antenna to purchase. I'd really like your comments on what antenna would be the best for my situration. My location is Southern NH, about 40 miles from Boston and the station transmitting towers. I attached a report of the stations available and they all come from the same area so a directional antenna seems the first choice. The photo shows a view of the direction the signals will be coming from. The large tree in the foreground is coming down but probably not until Spring. I ran the report for an antenna 30' above the ground and for 6' above ground and they pretty much came out the same for station aailability. But, I know they do not take into account the surrounding trees. So, I decided on an outdoor antenna because of the trees. The cable run would be about 60' from Antenna to the TV.
I was looking at the RCA ANT751 but that seem sto be right on the edge of the distance I need. Because of the trees I am thinking I should look for an antenna that has a reception range greater than 40 miles. Do you think that is necessary?
Any suggeestions on some antennas to look at? Aesthetics is not really a problem but I'd prefer not to put something up that looks like I am part of the SETI program.

Thanks for any advice.
George
I have that exact RCA on my roof, and a Mohu Leaf stuck in front of the window was almost just as good. I also have an issue with trees. Counter to what most think, a higher an antenna can cause issues with trees. This is because if the antenna is in line with the tree canopy there is more signal loss. The signal may propagate better at a lower height. I wrote a Mohu Leaf review that shows my experience and has my TV Fool report to compare. Have you tried a simple metal loop? You would be shocked at what you might pic up. You have an over 40 noise margin with most of those channels. It's the NM that matters. Miles don't mean a thing.
Cord Cutter is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The TV is located in the opposite end of the house in relation to where the broadcasts are coming from. How would that affect reception using an indoor antenna?

How well does the RCA work for you?

As far as the DB8, it is a multi-directional antenna. What I have read says they are subject to noise. With what the station map shows, does that look like a possible problem?

Thanks for the help. I am really new at this and feeling my way through.
GPag is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ProjectSHO89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
How would that affect reception using an indoor antenna?
The signals would have to go through the whole house (and everything in it) to get to the antenna. Often a losing proposition.

Quote:
As far as the DB8, it is a multi-directional antenna.
It is actually a VERY directional UHF antenna.

Quote:
What I have read says they are subject to noise.
Never heard that. Sounds like noise itself.

Quote:
With what the station map shows, does that look like a possible problem?
All of the Boston stations are UHF and are on a single bearing. Unless your requirements are different from what you stated, the DB8 is a good match for Boston.
ProjectSHO89 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPag View Post
The TV is located in the opposite end of the house in relation to where the broadcasts are coming from. How would that affect reception using an indoor antenna?



The more the signal bounces around in your house the more the signal will be subject to loss. That said if you have line of sight from one exterior wall to the other, then you should be find. You just don't want solid "stuff" in the way. For instance in the Mohu Leaf review I have channels coming from the North and Northeast. Those are the ones I want because it will give me PBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS. There are other channels attached to those, but those are the main ones. I can get duplicate affiliates from D.C. (with other networks attached). Those are 28 miles S/SW of me. So by positioning my antenna with one flat side pointed North and the other facing South I get all my local affiliates and many of the DC stations. You can look at my TV fool report in the link for a better description.

Quote:
How well does the RCA work for you?
The RCA is fine, but after seeing how well the leaf does I'm thinking about playing around with the Mohu Sky. In all honesty your report is so good I doubt the trees will cause much problems. I've looked at some signal studies and even with a dense tree canopy the signal loss tends to max out around 30db after coming into the house. Since all the stations you are looking at have a noise margin above 40, you should be good either way. I bet you would get a decent amount of channels if you just shoved a coat hanger back there .
Cord Cutter is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off