Its time for a new antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Its time for a new antenna

Hello, I live in a rural area of Idaho and my current TV reception is marginal. I only get CBS well, PBS ok but drops out frequently, ABC is marginal if at all, and NBC (analog,so not thru converter box)not at all. The signal bar on my RCA digital converter box maxes out at around 27%. I've had the same antenna on the roof for 25+ years now and believe it to be the issue. I have replaced the cable (about 60 - 70ft with one in line junction connection, no amplifier) The signal gets split in house to stereo and TV which are located next to each other. I like to listen to AM radio and watch TV. All signals come off translators in the area.
The tvfool analysis for my situation is attached.
I am looking at a Winegard HD7694P antenna from Amazon for around $60 and am wondering if is well suited for my situation. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-Digital.png
Views:	32
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	406850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
First of all, your NBC is licensed for 51 but has a permit to move to 32. Have you checked both channels?

Second, CBS/FOX and PBS are on VHF on the same mountain as the NBC analog, while the ABC/CW feed is on the valley floor. If you got an antenna like the one you describe, you would probably want to try to aim it east toward the VHF/analog UHF signals and hope that it grabs ABC as well.

Have you tried replacing the balun? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ansformers.jpg In my experience, those tend to go bad after a time, but antennas usually don't go bad unless they get physically broken. That's probably a cheaper replacement than a new antenna.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page