Charlotte, NC; TV's guide function hangs programming. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Charlotte, NC; TV's guide function hangs programming.

I've installed a Wineguard FV HD-30 on the advice of a avs member and it works pretty good. 32 channels instead of the 26 I received from the GE indoor antenna.

The only remaining problem is with the TV's channel guide function. When pressed, the current watched channel goes into a holding pattern (blank, with an hourglass) and everything get stalled until that stops. It lasts for 10-30 seconds and continues to be a problem as I scroll through the channel guide.

Would a separate tuner resolve this?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243512c88ded3

Another issue is Fox cuts out at times. What can I do to resolve this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 8 Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The channel guide issue is more of a problem with the TV itself, not reception related. I have the same issue sometimes with a Samsung TV, as the channel guide freezes momentarily until the picture returns in the small box. But it is still difficult to scroll through the listings. Although when you press the Info button, that feature works fine. As for 46 dropping out, perhaps an amp such as Channel Master 3414 could help.
post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The channel guide issue is more of a problem with the TV itself, not reception related. I have the same issue sometimes with a Samsung TV, as the channel guide freezes momentarily until the picture returns in the small box. But it is still difficult to scroll through the listings. Although when you press the Info button, that feature works fine. As for 46 dropping out, perhaps an amp such as Channel Master 3414 could help.
The hang when tuning on my TV is much more than momentarily, lasting as long as 20 secs. An outboard tuner would not resolve this?

As far a the dropped channel, would raising the antenna higher help if it's possible to raise?
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
An outboard tuner would not resolve this?
You'd get whatever guide the outboard tuner provided since you'd no longer be using the internal one. You'd do best to call the TV manufacturer, whomever it might be. There might be a firmware update to address your issue.

Quote:
Another issue is Fox cuts out at times. What can I do to resolve this?
Start by moving the antenna and trying again.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I agree about the firmware update on your TV, I have a couple Vizio TVs and they pull up and display the display almost immediately, it just takes longer(5 seconds??) for the guide several hours ahead to populate.
I also have a iView tuner and it takes quite a bit longer to populate the guide(15+ seconds) and on the iView if you try and push it, it can even lock up the box for a bit. I'd not recommend the iView for it's guide, unless your kind of patient.
On the iView it's best to tune to the channel for a bit(15 seconds??) before pulling up the guide. Just being tuned to the channel the guide will populate in the background, IOW you don't have to actually have the guide up for it to start downloading guide info.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You'd get whatever guide the outboard tuner provided since you'd no longer be using the internal one. You'd do best to call the TV manufacturer, whomever it might be. There might be a firmware update to address your issue.

Start by moving the antenna and trying again.
There's no fw update for the Samsung f5300.

Tried moving the antenna. Fixed some things, buggered up others!

Should I try a different antenna, based on my tvfools report?
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 100
You may want to consider a Clearstream 2V or 4V and have better luck. Aim for sweet spot between the Dallas and Charlotte towers. You are probably to close to the Clt towers to use an amp.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception