Philadelphia, PA - Comcast - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 10685 Old 12-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by tfg32
On wednesday I got good WCAU reception watching West Wing in the weird box and Leno in HD... Thursday nothing (was looking forward to ER)... I only slightly changed antenna location so I doubt it's me.. could any one tell me any more info about WCAU-DT..

thanks

I had the same thing happen to me Wed. Night. Nothing after that (thur, Fri, Sat; nothing). I wish I knew what was causing this temporary reception, but I can't figure it out. The end of January can't come too fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 10685 Old 12-21-2002, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Calabs, it is probably due to atmospheric conditions. This can result in reception of very distant signals of both TV and radio signals. I have heard of reception of TV signals of a thousand miles due to this. Once in Boston I was able to pick up WYSP on my car radio with no static.

Louder is NOT better!
post #333 of 10685 Old 12-21-2002, 05:46 PM

I think I've figured it out. RayN's comment about "80-3" being a pass through from WETA (VA/DC) makes sense. That 43-2 you are talking about is also either WNJT-DT. NJN's two live transmitters are on 43 and 51. During the day they multicast two shows (42-3 or 42-4) for WNJT or on WNJN (Montclair), they are on (51-3 or 51-4). They do the regular NJN feed on -3, and do learning shows on -4. At 8:00, 43 goes off the air and the WETA pass through goes live. This is when "80-3" shows up. I'm pretty sure I was getting WNJN Montclair because I get B]perfect[/b] analog reception of this channel, but it's probably on low power and I can only get it when it's cloudy

hopefully they will go higher power soon.
post #334 of 10685 Old 12-22-2002, 09:09 AM

I think WNJT is broadcasting on 43.3 (SD main) and 43.4 (SD PBS-YOU) during the day. At night, they add 52.1 with the PBS demo loop.

I sent them an e-mail about setting the PSIP correctly for 43.3 and 43.4 (should be 52.3 and 52.4) but didn't get any reply.
post #335 of 10685 Old 12-31-2002, 07:32 PM

Happy New Year to all the Philly-area digital TV fans. No, don't worry, I haven't been drinking (yet!).

Here are a few comments that might get the discussion started again in this thread.

1. Is it just me, or are channels 3-1 and 57-1 missing their PSIP data today? My digital tuner has remapped them to 26-1 and 32-1 (or whatever the real channel numbers are). Maybe someone needs to reboot something over at Fifth and Market. The signal is still coming in loud and clear, though!

2. The channel 17-1 flicker is still with us. I wonder when they will receive and install their new software? More importantly, I wonder if this will alleviate this problem?

3. I honestly don't understand WHYY. Tonight there was a wonderful "Live from Lincoln Center" broadcast that practically BEGGED to be simulcast on 12-1. OK, it was not an HDTV production, and it was not even broadcast in letter-boxed widescreen format (as indicated in TV Guide). But it WAS a great concert and I would have been very happy to have seen a better picture on 12-1 instead of another night of the HDTV demo loop. For those of you who watched this all-Gershwin concert, the soprano with the gorgeous voice, Indra Thomas, has a Philadelphia connection. She studied at the Academy of the Vocal Arts and just graduated a few years back. Anyone who had the pleasure of hearing her sing live at the AVA knows for sure that Indra will be world famous someday soon.

4. I honestly don't understand WHYY, part 2. After the "Live from Lincoln Center" broadcast, 12-0 showed a rerun of the Great Performances production of "Fosse." Now that WAS produced in HDTV. So why not simulcast THAT program on 12-1 in HDTV instead of the demo loop?

5. Isn't January 1 the start date for broadcast by the Camden-based NJN digital channel (WNJS)? I'm going to try to tune it in tomorrow, although I'll have to turn my antenna around and point it east for a change. I'm not sure whether the channel is 22 or something else. Does anyone else have any details? Also, does anyone know what their plans are for programming (i.e., will it be similar to WHYY and will they have subchannels?)?

Happy New Year to one and all,

--Philly Tim
post #336 of 10685 Old 12-31-2002, 07:47 PM

Philly Tim,

Yes I noticed the change of channels for 3-1 and 57-1 ,had me confused.

Happy New Year

Thank's, Steve
post #337 of 10685 Old 12-31-2002, 08:22 PM

Philly Tim,

1. I starting having problems with 3-1 yesterday - keep losing the signal. Today I get CBS on 26-1 and UPN on 32-1.
Now, does any one notice the picture size on UPN today? It looks like they are cutting it (to make it bigger - less of the black bars on the side).

5. I believe Channel 22 has push the start date to May 1st. I notice this on TitanTv.
post #338 of 10685 Old 12-31-2002, 08:58 PM

Glad it's not just me re 3-1 and 57-1.

Thought my T150 went schizo.
post #339 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Checked it out this morning and 3 and 57 still map to 3-1 and 57-1. They did change something at 57 and now are using a 14:9 picture put are zooming slightly as the very top and bottom of the picture are being cut off. 3-1 is the same as always.

Louder is NOT better!
post #340 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 08:12 AM

26 and 32 here still. Noticed that yesterday afternoon.

Also noticed the flicker during Everwood the other night. I remember seeing something about that earlier on the forum but couldn't find the reference. PhillyTim - sounds like 17 is/was aware of it according to your post. Wonder if they still know! Did you have a contact?

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
post #341 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm not getting 3-1 or 26-1.
Tried lastnight and now, also no 57-1 or 32-1.
I'm a little nervous with CBSs NFLHD next weekend.

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #342 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 09:56 AM

jkurlanski:

The entire text of the e-mail I received was posted earlier in this thread (posted on 12-20). It looked to me as though the 17 engineer was not previously aware of this "flicker" problem, but he was hopeful that the new software upgrade for their encoder would solve it along with a problem they had with their signal rebooting certain Samsung tuners (mine is a Samsung and has never displayed this problem).

I contacted 17 via the e-mail address listed on their website and was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply within a few days from their head of broadcast engineering. If there is no visible change within a few weeks, I might write back and politely inquire again. Personally, I don't believe in hounding the stations, which I know are staffed with professionals who are very busy and who have a lot of conflicting demands on their time and attention. (You were not suggesting that anyone hound them, of course, but I was just airing my views on the best way to communicate with the staff of TV stations.)

Everyone:

A little while ago, I tuned to channel 32-1 and the mapping automatically switched back to 57-1 on my tuner. Channel 26-1 has not yet switched back to 3-1, but I'm sure it will soon. They must still be working on it over at 5th and Market.

Regarding the channel 57-1 new aspect ratio, I have no problem with it, although to my eye the zoomed-in picture looks softer than the previous full-frame version. It IS kind of nice to have minimized pillars on the left and right.

I noticed on a commercial that some of the text information at the top and bottom of the screen was visibly cut off. How can I mail in for them Ginzu knives (or whatever they were) if I cannot read the ad copy? Heh heh. Seriously, advertisers might reasonably object if it comes to their attention that their ads are being cropped top and bottom.

While I'm writing and ranting, the Rose Bowl parade was indicated on TitanTV.com as High-Definition, but it is definitely not widescreen. I thought all high-definition programming was necessarily widescreen? To my eye it looks like very sharp standard-definition. What are we REALLY seeing? I did not notice any "presented in high-definition" banner at the beginning of the broadcast. (I'm talking about 26-1/3-1 [CBS] and 6-1 [ABC] since I cannot tune in the NBC digital broadcast until they go full power at their new location.)
post #343 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 11:46 AM

Thanks Philly Tim - I knew I had seen a reference to the problem before but couldn't remember where. Just had to page back a few days! Just got my OTA receiver so I've been reading a lot of old posts lately. I'm with you on the hounding..wasn't sure how long ago it was that the problem was noticed, but if was only a few days it certainly worth letting them work it out. Could also be a problem with the national feed, right?
I didn't find the Rose Bowl in HD (I'm pretty sure it must be in 16x9 to be HD) so I think we got stuck. From the Rose Bowl thread there was mention that the local affiliate had to be Tribune Broadcasting owned to get the feed . I'm just guessing that we were SOL because of that for OTA.
Also, the 3-1 and 57-1 just remapped for me a few minutes ago. I'm back to the Comcast feed now though because I'm having minor problems with rain and the ABC OTA. Got to watch that Penn State game!

post #344 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jkurlanski
Thanks Philly Tim...I didn't find the Rose Bowl in HD (I'm pretty sure it must be in 16x9 to be HD) so I think we got stuck. From the Rose Bowl thread there was mention that the local affiliate had to be Tribune Broadcasting owned to get the feed . I'm just guessing that we were SOL because of that for OTA.

Isn't WPHL a Tribune affiliate? I assume since they thought they were going to do the Mummers that they didn't bother with the Rose parade. It sure would have been a nice backup to the rained out Mummers.

"Sweet Cracker Sandwich!"--Satchel Pooch
post #345 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 12:29 PM

BrentHD. You are correct (www.tribune.com) I was thinking they were a Viacom stn, but thats UPN 57. Got my locals mixed up! And you're probably right about the Mummers too.
Think WB has an HD trunk available to do the Mummers in HD on Saturday? Would we really want that? :-)

post #346 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 12:43 PM

And I stumbled across something else of interest at wb17.trb.com:

"WB17 is now available on DirecTV channel 906 and Dish Network channel 8154. Select programming from The WB also airs in digital, high definition format on channel 54."

I think (again..lots of old posts I've been reading lately) that there was a complaint about WB programming info not making it to DirecTV and/or Dish? Does this mean its resolved for you guys/gals? Or is this old news/irrelevant/does not apply? Search engine is disabled right now....

post #347 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 02:06 PM

A question for those of you who have a choice of OTA and cable feeds for receiving the digital channels:

Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between the same digital channel received OTA versus the same channel coming over your cable?

If I understand it correctly, the cable company has the option of compressing the digital channel signal somewhat, so I was wondering if that resulted in a visible difference in PQ. Since I only have an OTA tuner, I can't do the comparison myself.

If there IS no difference in PQ, then why bother with OTA at all? Inquiring minds want to know.
post #348 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 02:22 PM

I haven't noticed any difference in PQ. Sometimes I'll lose signal due to the weather though.
The reason I finally went OTA is because is got tired of waiting for Comcast to pick up CBS (or is it CBS to pick up Comcast?), and folks on the forum were getting tired of hearing me rant about it. The only locals Comcast have are ABC, NBC, and WHYY. Now I can get CBS, FOX, UPN and the WB too.
For non-OTA, Comcast offers me HBO-HD (Showtime-HD if I cared for it), and the rumours are abound about a major annoucement concerning Comcast Sportsnet-HD, HDNet, Discovery-HD, and ESPN-HD. Should hear something in January, and that would pretty much give me all the available HD programming at this time. Not a bad deal.

post #349 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Philly Tim
A question for those of you who have a choice of OTA and cable feeds for receiving the digital channels:

Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between the same digital channel received OTA versus the same channel coming over your cable?

If I understand it correctly, the cable company has the option of compressing the digital channel signal somewhat, so I was wondering if that resulted in a visible difference in PQ. Since I only have an OTA tuner, I can't do the comparison myself.

If there IS no difference in PQ, then why bother with OTA at all? Inquiring minds want to know.

The reason to use OTA HDTV over cable HDTV (in Philly), is that Comcast does NOT carry CBS or FOX or UPN or WB (the digital variety). Now of those channels, only CBS broadcasts alot of content in HDTV. FOX has the widescreen football too.

If you have Comcast right now for HDTV (and no over the air), you will not see the AFC playoffs in HDTV (not to mention CSI). You will also not see the FOX widescreen 480p broadcasts of NFL playoffs (while not HDTV, still better than regular cable FOX).

So right now, you can get a lot more digital channels over the air, then via Comcast cable (not including premium movie channels like HBO and Showtime). Comcast may soon carry CBS (been negotiating for over a year, but they are never going to carry FOX).

As far as picture quality, I noticed a lot more pixelation on WHYY-DT at my relative's house that gets HDTV via Comcast. I did not have nearly as much pixelation on the same content at my house (via over the air). Otherwise it is pretty close. My guess is it will always be best via over the air and you can't gain anything via cable, but you can lose something.

Having said all that, we probably will all be getting our HDTV via cable in a few years (rather than over the air), once the cable companies carry all of the local digital channels, plus ESPN HDTV and other cable only channels that we can never receive over the air (Discovery, etc.).

Until then, over the air is best for now (at least in Philly -- the home city of Comcast Corp. -- ironically).
post #350 of 10685 Old 01-01-2003, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by caesar1
Comcast may soon carry CBS (been negotiating for over a year, but they are never going to carry FOX).

Never's a mightly long time. I think FOX is on the outs as long as they're only 480p. Although I think that it is better than the analog feed (I'll watch this weekends NFC games OTA rather than the analog on Comcast), I've also got to side with Comcast here: Fox should go 1080i or 720p first before they bother with it.

post #351 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 11:32 AM

What are the chances that Comcast is going to bundle the new HD channels( SportsChannel, Espn, HDnet and Discovery) and charge customers a monthly fee to see them? These channels aren't free, DiscoveryHD charges @7 bucks a month on Dishnet. These are not OTA channels and Comcast is not known for it's charity.
post #352 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 11:40 AM

There's another thread here about HDNet and a big announcement on 1/15 about being carried on a MAJOR Cable station. I'm crossing my fingers. However, I know that Comcast Sportsnet HD is coming in February (last I heard). I know that WB is HD, too, so I don't know when that is coming. However, last time I talked to the HD dept at comcast, they had big plans and stars in their eyes about how much HD they were going to have. I think that the merger initial put a damper on their expansion of the HD stations. However, now that the merger is settled and they have expanded their "network" hopefully now they'll concentrate on the HD additions (as we are their High-end customers). We'll see.

As I said, I'm not holding my breath. But I'm wishing for WB (and hopefully Angel in HD some day), and CBS so I can see CSI in HD finally. However, I hope for the HDNets, too, as I think that HDNet is going to have a lot of stations to offer us.

Dawn
post #353 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

THat is exactly what they will be doing, bundling those channges onto a second tier with a monthly fee. I am hoping it will be about $9.95 a month. While Discovery HD is $7.95 on Dish, Charter Cable has it for $4.00 a month and given Comcast's new size, you can expect that to be knocked down to $3.00 per subscriber, perhaps even less. ESPN-HD will be charging aroud $3.00 a subscriber also.

Louder is NOT better!
post #354 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 01:14 PM

Doesn't discovery hd show a constant loop of 3 or 4 shows for a 24 hr period? I wouldn't pay 7 for that.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #355 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Discovery's HD programming is being expanded significantly this year.

Louder is NOT better!
post #356 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

I watched James Cameron's Bismark on "regular" Discovery on Dish Network, (which was good), and then also watched it on Discovery HD Theater. WOW!!! There's just no comparison. Until now, they haven't really "simulcast" any of the same programs on both channels. This was an excellent example to compare analog/digital and HD with the exact same program material.

It's definitely worth the $7/mo!!!
post #357 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 02:10 PM

Hmm. But what if you had to pay 7 dollars for every network channel. 7+7+7+7+7. after 5 channels you have reached a standard cable bill (at least mine before i went satellite). Maybe i'm being cheap but oh well. I hate comcast from when they downgraded my cable internet. I will never buy another service from them again unless i can screw them over.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #358 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 02:22 PM

I dropped Comcast last April due to poor customer service, I get HD OTA but if the price was right (under $10), I might come back. I miss Comcast Sports Channel and to watch the Sillies in HD, it might just be worth it. I'm going to wait and see. The nice thing about this forum is, if it's a bad deal, you'll find out quick.
post #359 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

why has 57 changed the aspect ratio?

didnt we just go thru that with 17?

17 finally went to the regular aspect ratio.
post #360 of 10685 Old 01-02-2003, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm watching the flyers king's game thursday night and i can not see the bottom and more importantly the top, were the scoreboard is.

this is a joke.

why would they decide it's a good idea to chop off the top and bottom to essen the side bars.

bars are still there so isnt it pointless.

and the image is tons softer due to it being blown up this big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page