Philadelphia, PA - Comcast - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 10685 Old 01-08-2003, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never thought I'd laugh out loud reading this forum. I stand corrected. Very corrected.
Jim Chase- Thanks for participating! Its a comfort to know that when we notice (ahem, complain about) things, sometimes we are heard.

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 10685 Old 01-08-2003, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

jim thanks for coming by and setting it straight.

any way we could convince channel 6 and 29 to go to a more natural 4x3 ratio. they still seem to be alittle bigger in the image then the other channels.
smaller bars on the sides that is.
post #393 of 10685 Old 01-09-2003, 05:49 AM

Jim,

Thanks for fixing things and stating your policies. Other stations have been less open on their HDTV decisions, and that causes us to believe that we are not being listened to.

I empathize with your vacation interruption problems. Twice between Christmas and New Year's I had to go into work to fix IT problems, even though I was on vacation and someone was supposedly covering for me. It's just a hazard of the job.

On another issue with a different station - Flicker on WPHL was better, but still present, during Birds of Prey last night.

And snoop - I live in Hamilton near the I-195 I-295 intersection. I'm getting WCAU-DT on a silver sensor indoor antenna with a Sony HD200 receiver. The strength is on the border between "Normal" and "High" on my receiver.
post #394 of 10685 Old 01-09-2003, 06:38 AM

After lurking here and on a couple of other forums for about a year and
a half now, I finally got an HD set. My Mitsubishi WS-65511 (built-in
tuner) came today. I'm waiting for UPS to bring my Silver Sensor
antenna so I can decide if I should put up the Channel Master 4228 8
bay bowtie that the dealer gave me with the TV. I'm located in
Harleysville which is near Lansdale and the 1st exit of the NE
extension of the PA Turnpike.

I found that with a cheap set of Radio Shack rabbit ears that were in
the basement that I could pretty easily pull in KYW DT (3-1), WPVI DT
(64-1) and WPHL DT (17-1) with it pointed around 170 degrees. If I mess
with the antenna placement, I can get WTXF DT (29-1) but usually at the
cost of 6-1. I can't get WCAU DT (10-1) or WHYY DT (12-1) for anything.

Here's are my questions. What should I expect from the Silver Sensor
vs. the Radio Shack antenna? If I put the Channel Master in the attic
how much better will I fair? Is there anybody else near here with some
experience they can share? Should I be thinking about a Channel Master
UHF amp with the Silver Sensor?

You guys all seem to have a good amount of experience and I'm hoping to
leverage some of it. Thanks! Feel free to e-mail me off the board.

Cheers,
Dave
post #395 of 10685 Old 01-09-2003, 07:56 AM

Jim Chase:

Thanks for telling us all about the aftermath of your unfortunate power failure. What a nightmare! I shudder to think of all the different pieces of equipment that must be checked and reconfigured after a power disruption in your facility. I grumble even though I only have to reset the alarm clock and those infernal digital clocks in the kitchen appliances after a power outage (my VCR sets its own time automatically from the PBS time signal, thank God!).

It never occurred to me that these problems could have all been the result of one problem. It's great to have this forum so that we can be enlightened and more understanding consumers.

Around the same time as the PSIP and aspect ratio problems, I also had noticed that the volume level output from 3-1 was noticeably higher than before. In fact it was much louder than the other digital channels, which all seem to output approximately the same volume levels (except ABC 6-1, which seems to my ear noticeably lower in volume than the other digital broadcasts). Perhaps 3-1's louder volume was also an aftereffect of the power outage: did your digital equipment revert to some default volume level, which happens to be louder than the level that you would normally choose to send out? I've noticed that since then, 3-1's volume has dropped back to the norm and is sounding good.

I'm glad you are still monitoring this thread, Jim. We'll be sure to keep you on your toes!

===========

DigitHead:

If you are getting useable signals using rabbit ears, it would seem to me that you are in good position to receive all of the local channels using either of those antennas. If you don't get NBC WCAU (10-1), you may have noticed elsewhere on this thread that they are moving soon to a new tower and will be broadcasting at higher power, possibly as soon as the end of January. I can't get 10-1 either (in Center City Philadelphia). WHYY 12-1's signal comes in here, but there is noticeable pixellization (if that's how it's spelled) in some of the HD broadcasts. I don't know if there are any planned changes to WHYY's broadcast specificiations. (They DO split their digital bandwidth into 12-1 and 12-4, so I would speculate that the 12-4 subchannel would affect the amount of available data in the 12-1 broadcast stream, which may affect reception.)

If it were me, I'd go ahead and install the UHF antenna in the attic (and, if there is room, include a rotor so that the antenna can be repositioned remotely in case you ever want to pick up a New Jersey station or point north toward Allentown for any reason). That way, in times of inclement weather, you would have the best chance of keeping a strong signal through all of the interference. Also, a hidden-away antenna is generally better for the home decor, I would think. A UHF amp could always be added later to either antenna if needed.

Welcome to the Philly thread and congratulations on your new TV!!

--Philly Tim
post #396 of 10685 Old 01-09-2003, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I second the volume issue with KYW-DT. It is always louder than the other stations.

I use a Samsung T151 set top box for over the air HDTV reception. I have an optical cable connection from the T151 to my AV/Receiver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #397 of 10685 Old 01-09-2003, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DigitHead
I'm located in
Harleysville which is near Lansdale and the 1st exit of the NE
extension of the PA Turnpike.

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the Forum from another Harleysville person. I recently moved into a new development near RT 113 and Landis roads. I purchased the CM4228 when we lived in a North Wales townhouse knowing I would put it in the attic of the new place. We receive CBS (3), ABC (6), UPN (57) and WB (17) all at roughly 100% on our Toshiba DST-3000. Fox comes in without a breakup around 60-70%. I don't have my antenna on a rotator, but if I point it at NBC (10) I get a good signal, 90 - 100%. I've decided to leave the antenna pointed at Roxboro (where most of the antennas are located) and will wait until NBC moves to the new antenna instead of trying to use a rotator. I could never get WHYY (12)

Enjoy your new 65" Mitsu! I'd love to upgrade my 42" Toshiba, but a new house, new boat and a baby due in a few months killed any idea of any other purchases. In fact, let me know if you're in the market for a barely used 2002 31' Formula Performance Cruiser! I'll give you a good deal!

Just in case I hit the lottery, where did you buy the set?

Keep in touch.

Rob
post #398 of 10685 Old 01-10-2003, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know it's wierd. I live even farther out than you, (Sumneytown) and I get all channels. Have the big channel master 60 mile antenna in the attic with the preamp. I get 26,32,42,54,55,62,64,67 all perfectly. I was really surprised that I got 55 (WHYY) after what I read here, but it comes in at about an 80 signal strenght. So does 67 (NBC). The house sits pretty high up, so I'm sure that that has something to do with my good reception. I guess I should be thankful. I have the RCA f38310.
post #399 of 10685 Old 01-10-2003, 09:13 AM

I am extremely impressed that Jim Chase at KYW takes the time to keep all of us in the loop. Thanks Jim!

So that being the case maybe Jim can answere another question. Rumor has that CBS will broadcast the remaining AFC playoff games in Letterbox on the their analog SD broadcasts? Is this this true. I'll be able to get them in HD but I want to record them on my ultimate TV so letterbox would be preferable so I am hoping it is true.

Thanks!
post #400 of 10685 Old 01-10-2003, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rgc101
You know it's wierd. I live even farther out than you, (Sumneytown) and I get all channels. Have the big channel master 60 mile antenna in the attic with the preamp. I get 26,32,42,54,55,62,64,67 all perfectly. I was really surprised that I got 55 (WHYY) after what I read here, but it comes in at about an 80 signal strenght. So does 67 (NBC). The house sits pretty high up, so I'm sure that that has something to do with my good reception. I guess I should be thankful. I have the RCA f38310.

Until recently, I never knew there was a Sumneytown at the end of Sumneytown Pike!

Having the house sit up high is definitely a bonus. I'm sure the preamp helps a bit too. I'm waiting to see what NBC looks like after the move before I pick up a preamp.

Rob
post #401 of 10685 Old 01-10-2003, 11:43 AM

Baeverly
All remaining playoff games will be broadcast in HD on KYW-DT. Pittsburgh @ Tennessee tomorrow at 4:30pm and Jets @ Oakland on Sunday @ 4:30pm are on the schedules I have available at this time.
There will be one production, in Hi Def. Most of the cameras will be HD with some SD cameras mixed in. The truck will have a down converter for the SD feed and graphics will be added to each feed individually. There will be separate HD and SD feeds to TOC in NY. The pregame and half time shows will be upconverted SD.
This will be the first year I can remember that we have actually sold some HD commercials. They are Mitsubishi spots with local dealer tags on the end. They guys are downstairs busily dubbing them into our Pluto Hi Def. server right now. Should be interesting.
I also hear through the CBS grape vine ( one hell of a vine that stretches from NY to my office ) that the March Madness games starting 3 weeks before the final 4, and the final 4 will all be in Hi Def.
CUL Jim
post #402 of 10685 Old 01-10-2003, 12:56 PM

Jim,

This is absolutely great !!!!! I feel like I am getting spoiled rotten, and I love it , I love it.....

Franzius
post #403 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 11:52 AM
PHL

In Cherry Hill, NJ I have a DTC-100. The antenna I use is the Radio Shack equivalent of the Terk FMPRO. (Radio Shack doesn't sell it anymore).

I get the following signal strengths:

KYW 26 - 86%
WPVI 42 - 82%
WCAU 67 - 25%
WHYY 55 - 76%
WPHL 54 - 82%
WTXF 42 - 64%
UPN 32 - 75%

So, my only beef is with WCAU. Didn't they move to the new tower on 11/30? My signal has ALWAYS been 25% with them. Sometimes in the low 30's. So, I get nothing 90% of the time.

My antenna is mounted in the attic of our condo at the highest point (about 40 feet up). I can't mount outside due to condo bylaws (even though I can put a dish on the balcony).

Since most of the signals are acceptable, I have to believe that perhaps WCAU isn't pushing all the juice yet. Any updates? Or - is there perhaps a better antenna I could get. But if I'm getting all the other stations at decent levels, why would another antenna help me get WCAU any better?
post #404 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 12:17 PM

I hooked the u-75r antenna up from radio shack and get wcau fine now. Its a UHF antenna only but i'm geting a lot of analog channels.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #405 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 03:10 PM

WPVI-DT has been showing just the 6 ABC logo along with an audio test tone. Does anybody know what happened? I hope this doesn't occur during the Super Bowl.

"Sweet Cracker Sandwich!"--Satchel Pooch
post #406 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BrentHD
WPVI-DT has just shown the 6 ABC logo along with an audio test tone. Does anybody know what happened? I hope this doesn't occur during the Super Bowl.

I hope not either. I'm having a TON of people over.

Anyone?

Dawn
post #407 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 04:19 PM

Oh, i just got abc during the local hours and assumed it was normal. that is bad news.

Did anyone get any drop outs from the steelers titans game tonight? I get about 1 every 20 mins. Just installed a new antenna and was curious if its my reciever/antenna.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #408 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 06:02 PM

Guys,

stupid question. Is fox transmitting in HD???
I'm getting teh eagle/falcon at 16:9 but not HD.
I'm on channel 29-1. Is there another channel or its just not
being transmitted??

thx aceman
post #409 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

fox doesnt broadcast in hd just 480p which isnt considered true hd.
post #410 of 10685 Old 01-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Aceman
Guys,

stupid question. Is fox transmitting in HD???
I'm getting teh eagle/falcon at 16:9 but not HD.
I'm on channel 29-1. Is there another channel or its just not
being transmitted??

thx aceman

29-1 is the correct channel for WTXF-DT

It is a digital signal, 16x9 480P for the football... it is not true HD, but it's the nearest you're gonna get to it from FOX for the forseeable future

Try searching the HD programming forum for FAUX to see how hot under the collar some people around here can get about htis particular subject.

Me... I just enjoyed the game

Go EAGLES!!
post #411 of 10685 Old 01-12-2003, 12:03 PM

Guys, I just wanted to give you an update from Harleysville. I got my Silver Sensor and I'm now getting ALL the Philly digital broadcasts. 12-1 is a little flaky as I get frequent audio/video dropouts. Otherwise, it's great. Wow, the CBS playoff game yesterday looked great! Too bad the Birds were on Fox. I can't wait to see the Oakland/NY game today! Thanks for all your replies!

Dave
post #412 of 10685 Old 01-12-2003, 01:01 PM

I too use the Silver Sensor and get all the local HD channels with it with no problem (Most Days). I am right on the PA/DE Line West of 95.

Thoroughly enjoying the CBS broadcast of football. Just wish the Stillers would have pulled it out. No dropouts though just stunning pictures and I even notice an upgrade in sound quality. Looking forward to the 4:30 game today.

Too bad Faux doesn't do HD but at least the 16:9 is nice. Faux looks good until you see the CBS football broadcasts, what a difference!
post #413 of 10685 Old 01-12-2003, 01:39 PM

I noticed yesterday that WB 17-1 has added ACTUAL PROGRAM CONTENT to its PSIP data. On my Samsung tuner, if you press the "guide" button on the remote, the program information for 17-1 now reflects the actual programming.

Tis a small thing, perhaps, and I'm sure that all of the local digital channels will get there eventually, but 17-1 reached the goal first!

=========

baeverly (interesting name! Reminds me of "Beverly" -- are you a guy or a gal?):

I agree with you about the FOX football broadcast. It would probably look really great, if it wasn't for CBS showing us all the way it SHOULD look!

Thank you, CBS! And thanks to Jim Chase and the good people at KYW who work so hard to pass through such a glorious picture!

I enjoyed the first HD commercial immensely, Jim! The picture quality was stunning, but I'm afraid I cannot recall what product was being advertised! (Don't tell your marketing staff that!)

Naw, just kidding. It was for Mitsubishi HDTVs (yawn! I have a Sony!), and the featured performer was Joe Montana. Or Joe Thiesman. Or some other Joe Football personality. LOL!

--Philly Tim (looking forward to the next Eagles game on CBS, even though he's not really a football fan. What time is the game next Sunday?)
post #414 of 10685 Old 01-12-2003, 03:24 PM

"I noticed yesterday that WB 17-1 has added ACTUAL PROGRAM CONTENT to its PSIP data. On my Samsung tuner, if you press the "guide" button on the remote, the program information for 17-1 now reflects the actual programming"

PhillyTim - think that is an indication that WB17 has performed their software upgrade? I'm seeing ratings info now on my Zenith. If so, its bad news, because I just checked in on the Smallville rerun tonight (half-time on CBS! :-) and that filcker is still there....bad as ever. Never heard back from the email I sent them either. Too bad.

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
post #415 of 10685 Old 01-12-2003, 05:04 PM

I'm a GUY!

baeverly are just initials. I should have been more creative.

It's to bad the Eagles are not on CBS all the NFC games are on FOX. We won't get the Eagles in HD until the SuperBowl on ABC.

I also noticed the PSIP Guide data on 17.1, I can't believe the WB is the first to use this, how hard can it be?????
post #416 of 10685 Old 01-13-2003, 05:55 PM

Just got a email alert from WHYY that they've been asked by the owner of the tower to go offline midnight til 5 am. ... My question is - who is the owner of the tower and what work is underway... By the way, WHYY does a really good job keeping their dtv viewers advised via email. Sure wish other stations would follow suit - or at least post info on their web sites ...
post #417 of 10685 Old 01-13-2003, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by baeverly
I'm a GUY!

baeverly are just initials. I should have been more creative.

It's to bad the Eagles are not on CBS all the NFC games are on FOX. We won't get the Eagles in HD until the SuperBowl on ABC.

I also noticed the PSIP Guide data on 17.1, I can't believe the WB is the first to use this, how hard can it be?????

Did anyone else notice the Guide data on CBS tonight? Jim is the man, ask and you shall receive!
post #418 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 05:52 AM

How do you get on the mailing list for WHYY HD viewers?

Also, WPHL was a mess last night. For a while, they were sending a green box that took up the upper left quarter of the screen, and it randomly broke down into gibberish. Later, we had the flickers back worse than before.

And last, on my Sony HD200 I'm getting the guide info from DirecTV, so all I'm getting on 17.1 is the rating now.
post #419 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 06:43 AM

Hello all,

I am moving into a new house in New Castle Delaware on the 17th and was wondering what type of signal strength for OTA I can expect. I have comcast setting up digital cable with HD package but was also interested in an antenna. If an outside antenna would be necessary or would indoor be fine. Does anyone know of a good antenna installtion company?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is my first attempt at HD since I now have the room and was able to purchase a new tv. I have been reading these forums for awhile and have really learned a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Marc
post #420 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 04:14 PM

MSmith -

I get email info from WHYY and the return address is:

"Dianne Chenault"

Perhaps she can add you to her email list for WHYY Digital TV updates.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page