Philadelphia, PA - Comcast - Page 15 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
constabl,

You should be able to work out OTA with a decent antenna. New Castle, DE is about 40 miles from the Roxborough towers. I'm located in North Wilmington about 25 miles from the towers, and I currently get all the Phila channels with a small multi-directional antenna which is chimney mounted. You'll probably need a little more antenna, but nothing out of the ordinary. Don't have any recommendations for you regarding antenna installers. I ended up installing my own. When I put it up a few years ago, I made some contacts via the yellow pages ... everybody I contacted then knew next to nothing about digital TV. Perhaps now it's different. I ended up installing a Channelmaster 3221 4-bay bow tie antenna. Used their website for locating a dealer in the area which turned out to be Philadelphia. Good luck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 07:43 PM

I noticed others posting to this thread mentioning that they are receiving PSIP data from various channels. So far all I'm getting are the channel call letters and numbers - no info yet on schedule, program titles or program descriptions. Are the stations really starting to pass PSIP program information? Does receipt of this info depend on age/type of receiver? Is this data real PSIP data or is it guide info passed by Comcast or DirecTV? thanks...
post #423 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 08:10 PM

WPHL-WB17 was UGGGLLLYYY tonight. Started out okay, but sometime during the second half of Smallville that flickering green box appeared in the upper left corner of the screen. Was still there during their news broadcast last I checked, so its not coming from their national feed. Couldn't tell you if the black flicker was still there, because my eyes were bugging out from the green box. Yikes. Whats going on over there? Anyone still have a contact? I'll trade the no PSIP for no green box....

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
post #424 of 10685 Old 01-14-2003, 09:29 PM

I'm still getting Regular Schedule on my Hughes E86 for 17-1 (WPHL-DT).

Don't make excuses...make time!
post #425 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 07:50 AM

baeverly
I was just playing with the PSIP, getting a feel for the automation interface. I'm gathering information on field character count, stuff like that. You'll see stuff in there once and a while.
CUL Jim
post #426 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 07:54 AM

In terms of the WHYY DTV mailing list, according to http://www.whyy.org/tv12/dtv/index.html

"If you have additional questions or comments about our DTV service, or would like to be placed on a mailing list for DTV news, email us at dtv@whyy.org."
post #427 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jim2417
Just got a email alert from WHYY that they've been asked by the owner of the tower to go offline midnight til 5 am. ... My question is - who is the owner of the tower and what work is underway... By the way, WHYY does a really good job keeping their dtv viewers advised via email. Sure wish other stations would follow suit - or at least post info on their web sites ...

No one mentioned this (or it wasn't clear...), but here's the update I got from the runner of the WHYY list.

Quote:

Dear Dawn:

Thank you for your interest in WHYY DTV, in regards to the restriction, on
Monday evening in order to accomodate another tenent who was experiencing
a transmission line leak, the tower owner requested that we shut down our
DTV power so that the tower workers could do the necessary repairs. Windy
conditions prevented this from happening on Monday, however this work was
able to take place over night on Tuesday into Wednesday morning. There
are no further shutdowns scheduled for repair work.

Regards,
XXX
Technology Services Coordinator

Dawn
post #428 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 02:25 PM

I got an e-mail from WHYY that they are going off TONIGHT, since wind prevented work last night. It was dated 1/15/03 3pm, so I think it really means tonight.
post #429 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MSmith
I got an e-mail from WHYY that they are going off TONIGHT, since wind prevented work last night. It was dated 1/15/03 3pm, so I think it really means tonight.

Yes, I got this, also. It was only a few hours after getting the email that I quoted from.... She must have too many people responding to her at once.

Dawn
post #430 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 04:52 PM

Does anyone know if nbc or wb will get rid of their station names on the left side of their broadcasts ever? To me one dog tag is enough.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #431 of 10685 Old 01-15-2003, 08:35 PM

Hey, Jim Chase:

I saw the good news on another part of the forum that CBS's digital broadcast of The Grammy Awards will feature a high-definition picture AND Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound for the first time (in 25 markets). Good work, CBS!

Here's a link to a news article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030114/140418_1.html

Does that mean that the network has gotten their infrastructure in place to begin passing along DD 5.1 on a regular basis, or is this just a one-time special situation?

Can you tell us whether KYW will be one of the 25 lucky stations passing along the DD 5.1 to their loyal viewers? If so, do you know yet which other CBS-produced shows will have surround sound?

Oh, and as long as you are answering questions, what's going to be the final score of the Eagles-Tampa Bay game on Sunday? And tomorrow's winning lottery number?

--Philly Tim
post #432 of 10685 Old 01-16-2003, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I would like to know this too. Will Dolby Digital 5.1 sound be done by KYW-DT (Philly CBS) for both the grammys and thereafter. Only ABC does it now on a regular basis for HDTV programming.
post #433 of 10685 Old 01-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

It looks like we're getting close to seeing WYBE go live with a digital signal. I installed some new drivers for my MyHD card (if you have one check out the Home Theater Computer thread) and rescanned for channels. 34-1 came up fairly strong. TitanTV has this listed as WYBE-DT and the status is "Under Review".

has anyone heard when they might go live?
post #434 of 10685 Old 01-18-2003, 10:32 PM

Does anyone know when WCAU will finally move to the new tower and increase its power? I can hardly ever get it now in Allentown, though KYW, WPVI, WPHL, WTXF, and WPSG in Philadelphia come in strong. Thanks.
post #435 of 10685 Old 01-19-2003, 05:24 PM

Well, THAT was a heartbreaking football game, wasn't it? Sigh.

Oh, well, I guess I'll still watch the Superbowl on HDTV, but it won't be quite as "super" as it would have been with the dear ol' Iggles.

Anyway, back to digital TV talk:

I watched a little bit of WPHL 17-1 tonight, and it struck me:

NO FLICKERS!!!!!

I watched the second half of "Everwood" in HDTV and not so much as a blink!

I haven't been able to watch much TV (ANY channel) recently, so I don't know if this a permanent stability for 17-1 or how long it has been going on. Has anyone else noticed that the 17-1 is now rock-steady? Anyone notice when this started? Maybe they completed their software upgrade or something. I thought it was pretty good news! Congrats, WPHL!
post #436 of 10685 Old 01-20-2003, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Philly Tim

Can you tell us whether KYW will be one of the 25 lucky stations passing along the DD 5.1 to their loyal viewers? If so, do you know yet which other CBS-produced shows will have surround sound?

Oh, and as long as you are answering questions, what's going to be the final score of the Eagles-Tampa Bay game on Sunday? And tomorrow's winning lottery number?

--Philly Tim [/b]

I don't know if any of you remember, but back in 1999 CBS in Philly was broadcasting in DD 5.1, they stopped after a few months. It had some problems with popping sounds in the rear channels. The infrastructure for DD 5.1 is here in Philly and I am sure they fixed the popping in the rear channels by now. It is just a matter of CBS national to pass it in their stream.

May HD be with you always

DarthJedi

XBOX LIVE: ForceFields
post #437 of 10685 Old 01-20-2003, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, THAT was a heartbreaking football game, wasn't it? Sigh.

Oh, well, I guess I'll still watch the Superbowl on HDTV, but it won't be quite as "super" as it would have been with the dear ol' Iggles.

Yes, it was heartbreaking -- especially being there in person (and all season). Anyone want some season tix ; ) -- just kidding. I'll be in the new stadium next year.

At least now we can invite lots of people over to watch the Superbowl in HDTV, since if the Eagles were in it I didn't want non-football fans yacking it up, (as I would have wanted to concentrate on the game).

Now you can show off your picture, and not worry about the game or people talking.
post #438 of 10685 Old 01-20-2003, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by caesar1
Now you can show off your picture, and not worry about the game or people talking.

That's our plan.. I'm not a superbig fan of football, but I just love watching the superbowl. So, the 14 or so people coming over, may not get to see the home team win, but they sure will see the HD splendor and hear the 5.1 sound.
So, it all works out in the end.

I still think Donovan is the cat's pjs.. so shush to all you nay-sayers out there.

Dawn
post #439 of 10685 Old 01-20-2003, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bronowyn
I still think Donovan is the cat's pjs.. so shush to all you nay-sayers out there.

But most people are blaming Reid for a conservative game-plan and play calling (on both offense and defense). Donovan was too restricted by the conservative play-calliing. How about so deep passes in the 1st half?
post #440 of 10685 Old 01-20-2003, 11:15 AM

I'm wondering if that email from WHYY about having to power down their transmission "in order to accomodate another tenent who was experiencing a transmission line leak" had something to do with it. I noticed that it looked good yesterday too, but I didn't happen to catch any HD.

Quote:

Anyway, back to digital TV talk:

I watched a little bit of WPHL 17-1 tonight, and it struck me:

NO FLICKERS!!!!!

I watched the second half of "Everwood" in HDTV and not so much as a blink!

I haven't been able to watch much TV (ANY channel) recently, so I don't know if this a permanent stability for 17-1 or how long it has been going on. Has anyone else noticed that the 17-1 is now rock-steady? Anyone notice when this started? Maybe they completed their software upgrade or something. I thought it was pretty good news! Congrats, WPHL!

post #441 of 10685 Old 01-21-2003, 09:57 AM

I was paying attention to WPHL last night , and the flicker does seem to be gone.
post #442 of 10685 Old 01-22-2003, 12:29 PM

Just an FYI - WHYY (12.1) is still being asked almost nightly to shut down between midnight and 5am. They're still trying to get work done on the tower. Given the weather (cold and windy - the Delaware is frozen all the way across at Trenton), it may be a while before the successfully complete the work.
post #443 of 10685 Old 01-22-2003, 12:31 PM

Got that note too from WHYY...pure speculation but could it have somethig to do with the long forecasted NBC move? Same tower?
Also, congrats to WB17 for finally resolving the flicker. Defintly good during smallville last night.

post #444 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 07:32 AM

Has anyone else experienced greater-than-usual difficulty tuning in FOX 29-1 in the past week or so? I've been having problems with OTA reception, and I don't think there are any weather-related issues (extreme cold would not affect a UHF signal, would it?).

As far as everyone knows, they are still operating at full strength, correct?

--Philly Tim
post #445 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Something is going on in Philly -- I think more multipath for some reason.

I have had major trouble with WHYY the past week. I have rarely been able to get it at all the last few nights. When it does come in, the signal strength seems normal for WHYY (about 70%). But since it is hard to acquire and then will disappear shortly after signal acquisition, I think something in the Philly tower region is creating more multi-path.

I have had slight trouble pulling in WPHL (17) lately as well. It just seems to take a few seconds longer to acquire, but it will come in. It is at full strength when I get it. This is how WHYY USED to be for me -- a few seconds longer for my set top box to acquire the signal. Unfortunately, WHYY is now a major problem.

I have not noticed any issues with 29 (FOX).

Note that I have an 80 inch Yagi on my roof (and I'm only 4 miles from Roxborough). Down in a valley though. I'm using the Samsung T151 set top box.

Perhaps the work being done is effecting the signal from many of the Philly stations?

Anyone have an email contact for WHYY?
post #446 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by caesar1
Something is going on in Philly -- I think more multipath for some reason.

I have had major trouble with WHYY the past week. I have rarely been able to get it at all the last few nights. When it does come in, the signal strength seems normal for WHYY (about 70%). But since it is hard to acquire and then will disappear shortly after signal acquisition, I think something in the Philly tower region is creating more multi-path.
Perhaps the work being done is effecting the signal from many of the Philly stations?

I know what you mean I have seen signal drops in 54.1,42.1,67.1, and 55.1. I am about 10 miles form the towers as well.

May HD be with you always

DarthJedi

XBOX LIVE: ForceFields
post #447 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 07:59 AM

I have been having problems with FOX since mid November. When it first started I couldn't receive them during the day. Since late November I haven't been able to get them at all. I tried adjust the antenna but that didn't help. I even sent a e-mail to WNJT to find out if they increased their power during this time. I am within three miles of their tower and believe their signal could interfer with FOX. WNJT is on channel 43. FOX was always the weakest signal for me.
post #448 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 09:14 AM
mpg

I think the cold temperatures are at fault. For those of you experiencing reception problems, keep an eye on the outside temperature. As it warms up, does your reception get better? Let us know. Remember, weather can have an effect on reception of RF signals.
post #449 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpg
I think the cold temperatures are at fault. For those of you experiencing reception problems, keep an eye on the outside temperature. As it warms up, does your reception get better? Let us know. Remember, weather can have an effect on reception of RF signals.

I agree weather (such as snow or rain) physical objects in the air -- can cause problems. By why would non-physical objects such as temperature cause multi-path issues?

I don't think 20 degrees (as opposed to 40) would make a difference in OTA reception of HDTV on UHF frequencies???
post #450 of 10685 Old 01-23-2003, 08:52 PM

From my location in NE Hunterdon Cty, I have been unable to receive Fox (29-1/42) for the past few weeks, NBC (10-1/67) for quite some time and WHYY (12-x/55) never. I am glad to see that my situation is not unique. I seriously doubt that the Fox situation has anything to do with cold temperatures affecting reception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page