Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 10685 Old 02-23-2003, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

WCAU is currently broadcasting a very weak signal out of Philly. That is supposed to change when they move to the new transmission tower, that the other stations are using. Unfortunately, after multiple delays, the migration is still TBD. I get WCAU once in a great while and the signal meter our of my Dish-6000 is never above the low 50's.

I am currently getting high 50's low 60's from Fox digital. This is my normal range.

Franzius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 10685 Old 02-24-2003, 10:02 AM

Did FOX (WXTF 29.1) fall off the air? I couldn't get them at all starting about 5pm yesterday.
post #633 of 10685 Old 02-24-2003, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MSmith
Did FOX (WXTF 29.1) fall off the air? I couldn't get them at all starting about 5pm yesterday.

Bottom line is the Philadelphia digital situation is a joke. You have 3 stations (NBC, FOX, WB) that could care less.

NBC/FOX seems content to broadcast a digital signal where 10% of it's viewing audience can receive.

WB thinks it is ok to broadcast a digital signal that reaches a smaller audience then its analog signal. I receive the analog broadcast crystal clear, but get a very weak signal for the digial broacast.
post #634 of 10685 Old 02-24-2003, 11:32 AM

I've been having trouble receiving FOX since November. I had been receiving their signal from January 2002 until November with no problems. About mid November they were gone. Last week I could receive them on Wed. early morning and in the evening. (I wasn't at home during the day) Since then they're gone. I e-mailed the station in November about the problem but received no reply. I receive all of the other Philly stations without any problems.
post #635 of 10685 Old 02-24-2003, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think so. I couldn't get 29.1 last night either. And I never have trouble with them. I'm only 4 miles from the antenna farm in Roxborough.
post #636 of 10685 Old 02-24-2003, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hope the signal returns by Tuesday, in time for "24".

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #637 of 10685 Old 02-25-2003, 01:35 PM

Hi,

What's up with FOX, all my other stations are coming in loud and clear and FOX is in the 30's-40's.

Thanks,

John
post #638 of 10685 Old 02-25-2003, 06:20 PM

Is anyone else seeing a lip sync problem on CBS (KYW 3) last night and tonight? I'm seeing it on both my AccessDTV and my Samsung STB.
Actually I saw it on the Grammys also but thought it was due to the 5.1 but it is still there.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
post #639 of 10685 Old 02-25-2003, 07:12 PM

Bob,
Same problem here on KYW-DT. It was pretty annoying during the Grammy's, but the 5.1 and tremendous video quality offset some of annoyance!
Paul
post #640 of 10685 Old 02-25-2003, 07:32 PM

I noticed the same problem on the Grammys -- the audio and video were out of synch. I have also noticed this other times on KYW. I don't know what causes this.
post #641 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Same problem on Everybody Loves Raymond. Pretty annoying. Makes me dizzy!!! Last night, however, all was OK with JAG and The Guardian.
post #642 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 07:04 AM

I got the lip-sync problem on KYW-DT last night during JAG (about halfway through). I tried changing channels up and down to clear it, but it was still there.
post #643 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got the lip-sync problem on KYW-DT last night during JAG (about halfway through). I tried changing channels up and down to clear it, but it was still there.

HMMMM...... MSmith, I was busy toward the middle of the show and actually didn't see it. It appeared to be fine toward the end of the show, however.
post #644 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 07:25 AM

Calabs
We have been having lip sync problems due, indirectly, to our upgrades for the Grammys 5.1 channel broadcast.
We decided to upgrade software in our Leitch frame syncronizers only to discover that the hardware was too old to support the new software. Leitch has been playing around with this for a few days now and has decided to replace the hardware. Remember, we've been donig this since Oct. 1998, the equipment is getting old.
Last night our engineer realized that the frame syncs we purchased for WPSG-DT were newer and able to support the new software, so he swapped them out. This should have straightned out the problem.
CUL Jim

James M. Chase
Director Broadcast Operations & Engineering
KYW-TV / WPSG-TV
101 South Independence Mall East
Philadelphia, PA. 19106
chase@kyw.com
post #645 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the clarification Jim. It's nice to get information real-time from you. Much appreciated. So does this mean that WPSG-DT will be having a lip sync problem now?
post #646 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 10:04 AM

Hmmmm....

What I saw was lip-sync problems during the dock-side scenes with Harm and a few of the disbursement people from the carrier. It could be just that they had to re-dub the scene due to noise when filming, which can look like a lip-sync problem.
post #647 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 01:56 PM

Calabs
We found early on that the lip sync problem was not really an audio problem. It was a video problem caused by delay in the various frame synchronizers necessary to time everything. We found that if we started with a source that had a fixed audio/video relationship, and worked from that source, we could match everything up. We ended up starting with a D5 tape machine as the reference. From that we matched up the network receiver, video server, upconverter, and other sources, so that we could seamlessly switch between them. You see the results of that effort every night as we smoothly move between HD, SD, Network, and local.
Since WPSG currently has only one video/audio source, the upconverter, the frame synchronizers are not necessary. We installed them in anticipation of future network distribution and local tape origination. You should see no change on WPSG.
CUL Jim
post #648 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 03:07 PM

Jim, thanks again for your attention to us and your detailed explanations.
post #649 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 03:41 PM

HI, everyone ,
I've been reading alot of everyones replies and every word writen on this site is very informative and interesting read.
I have few questions maybe that some people can help me out with.First I live about 7 miles from the ant farm (Maple Shade, NJ).
I'm planning on buying a E86 for my Mit 55ws and I'm having alittle trouble in deciding on which OTA to get.Here's the three(channel master 3671,channel master 3020 from Loews or a Radio Shack 15-2156) I don't care about the money I'm justing wondering If any of these are good choices.I like to use the VHF side too because my Comcast 3,6,10 are alittle bad.Is there a way to combine both signals and to multiple set (two or three the most)???I just recently called a number of TV Antenna shops in the area that sell all types and models and they all say something different about what they do and don't do.Like for instance one shop owner said that he has no problem with reception from just an attic ant but its better on the roof for HD reception, Then other shop said that they just recommend using a UHF ant because of how tricky the HD signal is and a possibility bleeding and interference with using a combo ant.Then I called another shop and they said that they cann't sell me the antenna and they had too come and hook it up themselves because they said that" just anyone hooking up an HD ant that is not aligned right will get a bad noticeable picture"he said that he uses a spectrum analizer to align the ant and that I can use the Vhf of the ant too with a combiner splitter.
I Needed advice and fast.Everyone that I called said somthing different.
You guys are the real experience here I think by reading what you guys do.
I appreciate all the replies that I can get here and if I don't reply back it does mean that I'm not gratefull just alittle slow.Thanks
post #650 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 04:17 PM

I put the radioshack uhf only one ($21.99) on my roof and i live in Florence, NJ and recieve all of the digital channels out of philly perfectly. Its uhf only but i also recieve cbs, abc, nbc, and fox analog. Although cbs and abc's analog quality isn't too good. Fox's analog quality looks better than what i get over cable.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #651 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 04:27 PM

snooplsm , On that million dollar thing ,I'm self employed and work for some people that have that much and they are very cheapp. LOL
post #652 of 10685 Old 02-26-2003, 04:28 PM

snooplsm , On that million dollar thing ,I'm self employed and work for some people that have that much and they are very cheapp. LOL
But thanks for that info.
post #653 of 10685 Old 02-27-2003, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by superb77
HI, everyone ,
I've been reading alot of everyones replies and every word writen on this site is very informative and interesting read.
I have few questions maybe that some people can help me out with.First I live about 7 miles from the ant farm (Maple Shade, NJ).
I'm planning on buying a E86 for my Mit 55ws and I'm having alittle trouble in deciding on which OTA to get.Here's the three(channel master 3671,channel master 3020 from Loews or a Radio Shack 15-2156) I don't care about the money I'm justing wondering If any of these are good choices.I like to use the VHF side too because my Comcast 3,6,10 are alittle bad.Is there a way to combine both signals and to multiple set (two or three the most)???I just recently called a number of TV Antenna shops in the area that sell all types and models and they all say something different about what they do and don't do.Like for instance one shop owner said that he has no problem with reception from just an attic ant but its better on the roof for HD reception, Then other shop said that they just recommend using a UHF ant because of how tricky the HD signal is and a possibility bleeding and interference with using a combo ant.Then I called another shop and they said that they cann't sell me the antenna and they had too come and hook it up themselves because they said that" just anyone hooking up an HD ant that is not aligned right will get a bad noticeable picture"he said that he uses a spectrum analizer to align the ant and that I can use the Vhf of the ant too with a combiner splitter.
I Needed advice and fast.Everyone that I called said somthing different.
You guys are the real experience here I think by reading what you guys do.
I appreciate all the replies that I can get here and if I don't reply back it does mean that I'm not gratefull just alittle slow.Thanks

I recently went through the same thing and I will give you my two cents. Go for a UHF only antenna. When you buy a combo anything you are getting something that is okay at everything as opposed to really good (optimized) for one thing. I live in Marlton so I would assume that we will have the same sort of issues. Just a note. I was able to get everything but FOX and NBC with a powered set of rabbit ears on top of the set. But I really wanted both FOX and NBC So I tried the Channel Master 3018 from Lowes and I wasn't satisfied (It wasn't as good as the rabbit ears )and it was huge because of the VHF elements. I only tried this because it was available close by and was an easy way out. I had to put mine in the attic because there was no way it my wife wanted it on the roof. After reading many posts and info on the net I bought a Channel Master 4248 from a site on the net for $40 and no shipping. Everything but NBC came in crystal clear. Afetr spending some more time on the net I bought a CHannel Master 7775 UHF only preAmp for $55 and I couldn't be happier. I haven't had a dropout or weak signal since. Email me if you would like info where to get this stuff.

By the way if you are having issues with 3,6, and 10 through your cable it is because there is a leak in your cable line and you are getting some ghosting images from the over the air signals from these stations. Check all of your connections in the house and if they all seem good call the cable company because the problem is theirs and they are required to fix it.

Bert
post #654 of 10685 Old 02-27-2003, 06:21 PM

HI hdnovice, Thanks for the reply and your story.
I just thought that the vhu/uhf combo would help out on my other set.I talked to this one guy that I called in cinnaminson on rt130 he installs OTA for HD in this area sometimes and he never had a bad picture plus the VHF is a kind of bonus which was also a good picture too(better then cable).
Now with the cable in the house I just redone everything I installed a master box in my house with only one splitter.I was still getting a not so good picture so I took the main line too one set and it looked like them all.So its not my cable that I ran,which was RG6 quad.
About comcast well they are a real rip off and I think that they are monopolizing the cable industry. But I'm stuck with it because of Phila sports.So I don't want them anywheres near my house.Matter of fact I was doing an electrical job at this customers house and his cable was totally terrible looking ,he called up comcast about 5 times and they came out five times to try to fix the problem and replaced the mian underground line about 3 times and its still bad .So he keeps calling the main office and they'er giving him free paid channels over and over just so that he can be happy but he is not and the problem still there.
But I don't mean to get mad at you its just the word COMCAST I don't like.But thanks for you input and I'll take it into consideration.Thank again hdnovice
post #655 of 10685 Old 02-27-2003, 07:20 PM

Yea, rupert murdoch is cheap.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #656 of 10685 Old 02-28-2003, 08:46 AM

Here's a thread I'm guessing you people will be interested in:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=231838

Dawn
post #657 of 10685 Old 02-28-2003, 10:13 AM

Finally got HD!

Yesterday I went to BestBuy to get tax software but saw an open-box $299 Samsung T-151 (actually there were two); just bought it without thinking.
Last time I checked, they were $349.

Hooked up it to my Sammy 507 and was able to get CSB(3-1), ABC(6-1), WB(17-1), PBS(43-1 -2 -3 -4), and UPN(47-1) right away.
If I move the antenna a little I am able to get another station PBS(12-1) at the expense of CBS (3-1).

It was so cool because I was toying with idea of Comcast cable for watching HD, but I didn't want to pay extra $40-$50 just to get HD (on top of limited basic service I am getting; I am cheap..).
I was not sure about going OTA because I live between Trenton and Princeton, far from Philly antenna farm.
But the combination of Silver Sonsor and T-151 gives me stable reception of those channels!

Wow! CSI looked fantastic and PSB HD demo was really amazing.
Now I understand people complaining lack of HD programming.

By the way this is my first post in this thread.
Hello, Philly HD people!
Thank you for the valuable information about stations, antenna, etc.

Now how do I get NBC and FOX?
Any update on their migration to the new tower, power upgrade, etc?
post #658 of 10685 Old 02-28-2003, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Checked with Fox yesterday about their new location. Now it looks like it will not be this year at all, let alone spring or summer.

Louder is NOT better!
post #659 of 10685 Old 02-28-2003, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JWhip
Checked with Fox yesterday about their new location. Now it looks like it will not be this year at all, let alone spring or summer.

Hmm.. that's not good.
480p would be certainly nice, but I can live with FOX analog.

What about NBC?
Looks like even some people close to the tower are having trouble getting WCAU-DT.
My T-151 shows "no signal" when I dial in 10(NBC) or 29(FOX).
Maybe I could try moving the antenna to the attic.
Though I hear NBC has only handful of HD contents, getting DD sound alone would be nice enough.
post #660 of 10685 Old 03-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Folks,

I live in Boston, but I am trying to help my father-in-law get HD enabled. On the sticky HD-via cable thread, I saw the channels that are offered by Comcast (ABC, NBC, PBS, HBO, SHOWTIME and in the unspecified future CBS, Comcast Sports Net, ESPN).

Can someone tell me what channels are available via OTA Reception in the Philly area? He lives in Bensalem, (lower Bucks County) very close to the Philly border. I am sure I could find the answer to my question if I slog through this very massive thread, but being lazy, maybe one of you can help me. It would also help me if you would tell me the Network of the station and not just the station call letters. I am clueless about Philly area stations.

Also, in Boston basically all of the digital channels come from one antenna farm. So, where I live, I just need a static antenna pointed in one direction to get all the channels (there is a NH PBS that I could get with a rotor or 2nd antenna). Is it the same in Philly, especially if you live just north of the city?

Lastly, are there any plans (or have there been) any broadcasts of Phillies games in HD?

Thanks,
- Hal
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page